Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How many players do we need to move on this summer?

None, the squad is perfect and I live in cloud cuckoo land
      1 (0.4%)
      1-2, some mild tweaking
      3 (1.3%)
      3-5, changes required
      110 (49.1%)
      6-8, we need an overhaul
      89 (39.7%)
      9 or more! Clean slate, start afresh
      21 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Players to ship out? (Poll added)

Read 39538 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Players to ship out? (Poll added)
      Reply #437: Apr 07, 2011 12:16:06 pm
      When we sign a left back, Johnson will be our first choice right back. Will be useful to have a utility defender like Kelly to bed strenght to the squad as cover for RB and CB
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #438: Apr 07, 2011 12:21:30 pm
      We should adopt a rule similar to asking the question who would get into to other top teams and if the answer is no they wouldnt then how can we expect to beat them.Sadly the likes of Spearing,Ngog,Poulsen,Sotis,Skyrtl,Aurelio (due to his injuries)Agger (same as Aurelio) Pacheco is lauded by everyone but the people who matter so he is another one .Shelvey needs his chance but if we are brutally honest and I think we need to be so half the squad needs changing.Bringing in Carrol and Suarez is a very good start.
      Fowler_is_God
      • Banned

• 27 posts |
      Reply #439: Apr 07, 2011 12:22:49 pm
      Id rather see him get a game on a weekly basis rather than sit on our bench for the season. Get some experience under his belt. Even boost his price tag up. I just don't think he's ready to come into our starting 11 yet. Bit of a gamble for me.

I think loan spells for some players, Kelly being one, would benefit them enormously.
      Flipmode
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts |
      Reply #440: Apr 07, 2011 12:30:38 pm
      The area of concern for me is Defence.
      Carragher isn't good enough now as a starting XI as he's lost some pace. Soto the same but worse.
      Agger is injury prone. Wilson is inexperienced.
      LB - what left back. Only the RB position is looking good with Glen and Kelly
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #441: Apr 07, 2011 12:48:09 pm
      Poulsen, Konchesky, Jones, El Zhar, Degen and N'gog are must go for me.

So I went for 6+.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #442: Apr 07, 2011 12:55:58 pm
      Jones, Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Poulsen, Degen, El Zhar, Insua are the ones to go as soon as possible.
      Aurelio, J Cole, Jovanovic, Maxi are the ones that I am still indecisive about.
      Pacheco is a puzzle for me because fact is that he is a great talent with great potentials, but nor Rafa, nor woy, nor Kenny gave him a real shot in the first team and I don't get why, so I am a bit confused.
      As for Aquilani, I'd bring him back and give him the chance he never had.  
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #443: Apr 07, 2011 01:03:23 pm
      I don't think we should go mad spending this summer and having a completely different squad come August. That type of team building has its pro's and con's. But I think if we look at Man City it's clear that a squad needs time to gel properly, so I said 3-5. I think getting rid of Poulsen, Cole and N'gog as well as a few players out on loan will allow us to get 3 first team players in to build the squad up, creating strength in depth that we so severely lack.

I don't want to harp on about Rafa too much but he had the right idea in terms of building his squad, a strong spine to the starting XI will always allow you to compete. In 2008-2009 we had the peak of Rafa's squad, and the spine; Reina, Carragher, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres. Only for injuries, god knows. But if we compare that to this seasons spine; Reina, Carragher (+2 years), Skrtel, Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard (+2 years), Suarez, Carroll. Carragher and Gerrard can't provide the performances they used to as consistantly as they used to. Reina is conceding more because the men in front of him are weaker. Lucas and Meieles or Masch and Alonso? Suarez and Carroll are they only proper strength there unless Reina is protected better.

So although we do need wingers, I think we need to ship out the dead wood from the center of the pitch first and build that spine back up!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #444: Apr 07, 2011 01:08:54 pm
      I think it's definite we need to get rid of Poulsen, Jones, N'gog, Degen, El Zhar and Konchesky because I don't see them contributing in any way.

While there are doubts about Cole, Jovanovic, Maxi, Kyrgiakos and even Aurelio, I still think they can contribute to the squad and should only be replaced if we can definitely get better players in for them.

So, the first six is the definite minimum that should go. Not only they are taking up the wage bill and probably decreasing the squad quality, they are also taking space on the bench which can be given to promising youngsters.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #445: Apr 07, 2011 02:32:43 pm
      I think it's definite we need to get rid of Poulsen, Jones, N'gog, Degen, El Zhar and Konchesky because I don't see them contributing in any way.

While there are doubts about Cole, Jovanovic, Maxi, Kyrgiakos and even Aurelio, I still think they can contribute to the squad and should only be replaced if we can definitely get better players in for them.

So, the first six is the definite minimum that should go. Not only they are taking up the wage bill and probably decreasing the squad quality, they are also taking space on the bench which can be given to promising youngsters.
      Well said Adryan mate. But from your list I'll add Joe Cole and Jovanovic to the first group.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #446: Apr 07, 2011 03:03:17 pm
      The fact we didn't score in 180 minutes of football had NOTHING to do with us getting knocked out of Europe, right?  It was ALL Soto's fault (clearly a 0-0 score gets you through to the next round).  No thank you for his stellar performances last year when we was arguably our best defender hardly setting a a foot wrong in the process?  Do me a favour.  You win as a team, you lose as a team.

Yes all that's true but I'm sorry saying he was our best defender last season is not good enough particularly when you are Liverpool FC and finish 7th in the league. And he was far from stellar. Saying he was our best defender last year is like saying who's the best virgin in a brothel. Ship him out with the others. He's far from the required standard.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #447: Apr 07, 2011 03:09:48 pm
      There are some that are eating wages and doing little that need to go and a few who just aren't good enough. That said, I wouldn't want to get rid of too many. I'd prefer to add to the squad, not deplete it.

Poulsen, Cole, N'Gog, Jones and some of the youngsters who won't ever make the grade like Eccleston, Degan, El Zhar (hardly a young'un now) and Amoo should go. No need for them at all.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #448: Apr 07, 2011 03:22:56 pm
      Look now without Gerrard Johnson Agger and Kelly we look fu**ed to be honest.Our best 11 is decent but we should have a squad capable of putting out a winning team against all but the very top and we were awful last weekend.
      On the youth policy a word of caution Gary Mac,Sami, Didi  and last night we saw Giggs who was probably one of the best players on the pitch aged 107.We have got players aged 21 who are passed their sell by date now.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #449: Apr 07, 2011 04:17:15 pm
      Yes all that's true but I'm sorry saying he was our best defender last season is not good enough particularly when you are Liverpool FC and finish 7th in the league. And he was far from stellar. Saying he was our best defender last year is like saying who's the best virgin in a brothel. Ship him out with the others. He's far from the required standard.

I'm sorry were you expecting a £1.5m 30 year old who signed as cover during an injury crisis to be world class?  You need players like him in your squad.  Never complains about being 4th choice, offers something different from the other 3 CBs in the pecking order above him (aerial dominance), not afraid to throw himself around for the cause and being our best defensive headerer (if that's not a word, it bloody well should be) of the ball could pass on some valuable tips to the others.

Also, pull the other one.  He would have been a decent shout for the outfield player of the year award just because the rest of the team underperformed (barring a few) don't belittle Soto's achievements and for the record, he was F***ing stellar last season.  A lot of people on here though that Agger/Kyrgiakos were the on form partnership of the season.

Makes good business sense though to cash in on him for the massive total of ~£1m and spend a good £10m-£15m on a new CB though (while other areas of the squad need addressing) pushing Ayala and Wilson further down the pecking order again (meanwhile Ayala is looking solid at Championship level, Wilson is also very highly rated).  He's not of the required standard to be a first team starter, I agree with you 100% but to suggest he's not of the required standard to be a decent two-bit player is a little Real Madrid/Man City-like.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #450: Apr 07, 2011 05:06:32 pm
      Jesus christ, I misread it as Steven instead of seven!

Hahaha! Noooooo!!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #451: Apr 07, 2011 05:28:45 pm
      Jovanovic, Maxi, Cole, Poulsen, Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Degen, El Zhar and Jones should all be shipped out.

Possibly Aurelio if we don't think we get at least 20 games out of him. Also Aquilani if Kenny doesn't fancy him.

Agree with the majority of these, I voted 9 or more players to be moved on!  :o

The first three however, I would probably keep one for squad depth, maybe Maxi since he is a bit more reliable than the other two, and doesn't pant like he's just finished a pack of 20 Marlboro when he's run 50 metres.  :roll:

Aurelio and Aquilani are trickier. I am a big fan of Fabio, but think he has to go at the end of the season. Great player on his day, but we can't keep paying him so much for so little match time. If it were down to me I'd keep Aquilani, but like you say, if Kenny isn't sure then I'd be happy with £15 million to add to the transfer kitty.

The bottom line for me is that I don't want player on the bench who are highly paid, but don't offer more than one of the reserve team or youngsters. What's the point? People argue moving on a lot of players thins the squad, but it's already paper thin, so we need to get tough for the good of the team. A hungry youngster for me, any day of the week.

Finally, I haven't made my mind up on Danny Agger yet. He's damn good, it kills me to think of shipping him out.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #452: Apr 07, 2011 07:56:48 pm
      How many games has Agger played in thelast two seasons. Definitely got the quality but can he stand up physically.
      I really hope so he is a real star and if we could get him fit and put someone decent alongside him then we would definitely be stronger.
      We have all be banging on about wide players but our defense has at times been  a major weakness and Sotis and ~Jamie are looking suspect Skyrtl has had a tough year our left back has been absent and our rightback (not Kelly) cant defend.
      I would look to move Kelly in to CB now and look for two full/wing backs.
      Whatever way you look at it we need a MASSIVE injection into the clubs transfer kitty.
      So far NESV have gotten of lightly they bought the club for next to nothing and were gifted £50 mil by Chelsea which we spent wisely. We need another net spend of £50mil so with all the players to ship out we should end up with a decent squad.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #453: Apr 07, 2011 11:42:18 pm
      I voted for 6-8 but it could be 3-5 at the end of this season depending on how quick we want to go about it and what is manageble.

Fact is it's 9 or more needed without doubt, but can we do the overhaul that quickly as it's a big ask IMO in one window.
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #454: Apr 08, 2011 09:39:34 am
      I voted 6-8 but i think more realisticly it will be 3-5 simply because i dont think we are going to sign 6 "high" profile players this summer alone.
      Patience is key.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #455: Apr 08, 2011 09:51:21 am
      I voted 6-8 but i think more realisticly it will be 3-5 simply because i dont think we are going to sign 6 "high" profile players this summer alone.
      Patience is key.

We don't need 6 high profile players. We have the youngsters to step up. We need two out and out wingers and possibly a third forward, though maybe Kenny has Kuyt lined up for that role.

The rest of the players most of us want leaving are that ineffective anyway, that we don't need to replace them with high profile players.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #456: Apr 08, 2011 09:55:55 am
      I voted for 3-5.

I truly believe that even if we bring in no one, removing the dead weight that is currently acting as a major c*ck block for our youth system we will be a better team come next season. Which makes me even more excited about this off season because we will remove dead weight and bring in new young talent to fill our massive needs at certain positions.
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #457: Apr 08, 2011 10:06:03 am
      We don't need 6 high profile players. We have the youngsters to step up. We need two out and out wingers and possibly a third forward, though maybe Kenny has Kuyt lined up for that role.

The rest of the players most of us want leaving are that ineffective anyway, that we don't need to replace them with high profile players.
      thats why i put high in "". Since i know we dont need all of them to be pure quality. My concern is that we get 6 new players into the team at the same time, and then our chemistry is almost gone and needs to be found again, which is what we have seen with Real Madrid and City a couple of seasons ago.
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #458: Apr 08, 2011 10:07:17 am
      ^ although with players like Cole and Poulsen there is already no chemestry, but with most of the others there is, some kind of chemestry.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #459: Apr 11, 2011 12:59:28 am
      Get rid of the dead wood. The likes of Poulsen, Jova, and Konchesky. Insua's contract runs out in summer (i think) so we might sign him as a backup but that's it, if not then he's gone. Aquilani is going to leave. And I wouldn't resign Kyrgiakos.

I would keep Cole to see if he progresses at all, if he doesn't offload him in January. And I would also offload N'Gog in january.

Next summer I would see how Maxi did in the year and if he did absolutely nothing, sell him. If he was a good squad player, keep him.

You can't offload 9 players in one window and expect no chemistry changes, these things happen gradually.

Quick Reply