Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

European football next year

Read 12309 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      European football next year
      Feb 28, 2011 09:06:32 am
      With our dreams of a CL well and truly dashed and faint hopes of finishing 5th rest on Chelsea completely disintegrating, European football is looking less of a certainty.  We expected the Carling cup spot to drop down to 6th, until Birmingham upset the form book yesterday.

There are only two realistic options -

a) Win the Europa League.
      b) Hope that City and Arsenal/Utd contest the FA cup final.  For that to happen, we need City past both Villa and Everton (both at Eastlands) and then pray they are not drawn against the winner of the Utd/Arsenal quarter final.  All told, we'll be bloody lucky to get a domestic spot.

We need European football to attract the signings we need to make in the summer.  We can't hold out hope that lady luck will shine on us when the semi-final draw is made - there is no other option, winning the Europa league is now our priority.

Looking at the "round of 16" draw, the only real threat should be City, there are a few others I'd rather not face but over two legs we should be alright.  I am confident that this team can go all the way, winning the trophy, becoming the record winners of the competition and securing EL football next year.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: European football next year
      Reply #1: Feb 28, 2011 09:15:28 am
      Didn't the owners say a while back that our best shot at European football next season would be winning the Europa League this season?

Anyway, yesterday's defeat was a setback, and massively disappointing in terms of finishing in a European spot at the end of the season. It's a big hill to climb, and whilst possible, it's clearly unlikely.

In terms of attracting players, the name of the club goes a long way.

Not only that, we are solvent, making good profit, and this will help sign players if they have long-term ambition.

Whilst in a transitional period (forced on us by Hicks and Gillett's lack of investment), I believe younger players could easily see that with our owner's intention's to bring us back to the top, in a season or two we should be back amongst the best.

I reckon the only players we would struggle to sign would be the ones in their prime searching for immediate success, in the Torres mould.

January was a good example that top players like Suarez are still more than willing to come.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,007 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #2: Feb 28, 2011 09:28:01 am
      I don't think we'll have problems attracting names if our defense continues to improve and players like Lucas, Meireles, Suarez, Carroll play more games together and play good football, King Kenny will attract them. Fifth spot and the cup would surely make us an attractive option in the next window.

There is no reason why we can't win the Europa League this year either. MAYBE the fact that Suarez is tied.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Feb 28, 2011 09:33:42 am
      This club needs European football. We belong there plus the additional revenue helps signing more players as does the lure of European football. It's vital for the club and I hope we win the europa league this year
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Feb 28, 2011 09:48:32 am
      I guess we better go win the F***ing thing so :)
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #5: Feb 28, 2011 10:18:12 am
      Have I missed something - everyone's suddenly talking about yesterday's result as being the end of our top 4 chances?!?! Our top 4 chances ended way before xmas didn't they? Or were the knee jerkers thinking CL qualification was on the cards because we'd had a half decent run of results for a few weeks? Gotta laugh I suppose...
      LFCexiled
      Reply #6: Feb 28, 2011 10:21:12 am
      I guess we better go win the F***ing thing so :)

Ditto.

Given our last 2 performances in Europe we'll all need a few, nice, clean pairs of undies if we manage to.

Also, we need every single man to step up and play as though the badge is their family crest or expect to move on in the Summer.

Also also, to quote Ayrton:

In terms of attracting players, the name of the club goes a long way.

Not only that, we are solvent, making good profit, and this will help sign players if they have long-term ambition.

Whilst in a transitional period (forced on us by Hicks and Gillett's lack of investment), I believe younger players could easily see that with our owner's intention's to bring us back to the top, in a season or two we should be back amongst the best.

I reckon the only players we would struggle to sign would be the ones in their prime searching for immediate success, in the Torres mould.

January was a good example that top players like Suarez are still more than willing to come.

I think that view is exactly spot on, we can attract the kinds of players who actually want to play for us for the simple fact that we are LFC and the view for the future that the owners portray.

Who'd have thought that 6 months ago?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: Feb 28, 2011 10:22:59 am

You laugh?

Geddouttahere.

All it is carheex is that some people don't wallow in a pit of misery and sh*te like you, some people actually like to be optimistic.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,972 posts | 5031 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Feb 28, 2011 10:47:01 am
      CL football for next season has gone, Europa league football seems unlikely unless certain events happen that are out of our control, if the worse were to come to the worse and we fail to qualify then ok its a massive disappointment, thats the reality and the negative, now lets look at it another way, its not the end of the world and in some way could prove to be a blessing in disguise, KK can use the rest of this season to sort out who goes and who stays, he will already have a idea or two in who we need to bring in in the summer, this season the damage had been done IMO by the time Hodgson departed, KK has been picking up the pieces ever since, he has the same mediocre players Roy had been left by Rafa   :f_tongueincheek:, we can only finish as high as we can by winning all of our remaining games, at the moment that seems unlikely to.

We have ten massive matches left starting with the SCUM on Sunday, followed by, Black cats(a), Baggies(a), Citeh(h), Arse(a), Brum(h), Toon(h), Fulham(a), Spuds(h) and Villa(a) how many of those games can we take max points? out of 30 we have to be looking at 20pts, hopefully more, but we have to be realistic and take each match on its merits.

The Europa league is now our priority, it is the one realistic chance we have in which we are in control of, we can no longer(not that we did) rely on the outcome of others results, the league position will look after itself the likelyhood is we will finish at worse 7th at best 5th, only my opinion of course.

I cant really comment on yesterday, i seen a fragmented 15 streamed minutes and the rest on MOTD, is the honeymoon over or was it just a bad day at the office ?  not a graet performance and one deserved of a massive bollocking KK style, can the King pick the lads up for Sunday, you f***in bet he will, not that they will need much persuasion, i think we wiil be back to our best against Scum, and just like Chavs we will destroy and conquer, i can smell it in the wind, it's coming, believe!!

IKWT   YNWA
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Feb 28, 2011 10:52:29 am
      Have I missed something - everyone's suddenly talking about yesterday's result as being the end of our top 4 chances?!?! Our top 4 chances ended way before xmas didn't they? Or were the knee jerkers thinking CL qualification was on the cards because we'd had a half decent run of results for a few weeks? Gotta laugh I suppose...

Ended before Christmas?

Had we beaten Wigan and West Ham yesterday, we would only be 3 points from Spurs in 4th?
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #10: Feb 28, 2011 10:55:26 am
      You laugh?

Geddouttahere.

All it is carheex is that some people don't wallow in a pit of misery and sh*te like you, some people actually like to be optimistic.

When we were in the bottom 3, I was optimistic and thought that the top half was still possible. When kenny came in and we started to play a bit better (albeit against mainly poor teams) I though with a lot of effort and luck then top 6 or 7 might might just be achieveable. Anyone who thought that the top 4 was on the cards because we won 3 of our last 7 premiership games under dalglish (2 of those were against stoke and fulham!) was clearly getting carried away with the excitement of kenny coming back.

There's a fine line between between optimistic and delusional but you can't seem to see it.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #11: Feb 28, 2011 10:57:55 am
      Carheex, you F***ing WUM. This thread is about European football in general, not about top 4. Even qualifying for the Europa League next season looks unlikely now unless we manage to win it. And not just because of our result yesterday, also because of the result of yesterday's cup final.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2011 11:04:21 am by Dexter »
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #12: Feb 28, 2011 11:00:31 am
      Ended before Christmas?

Had we beaten Wigan and West Ham yesterday, we would only be 3 points from Spurs in 4th?

Yeah. But we didn't. And spurs would still have a game in hand. What if spurs had won 2 of the games which they had lost? our position would be no different.
      The point is, even after a half decent run we were still in such a precarious position that 1 bad result means we can forget about european football altogether. I'm hopeful of course but not optimistic to the extent of some people on here who seem to live in complete fantasy.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #13: Feb 28, 2011 11:02:43 am
      I'm hopeful of course but not optimistic to the extent of some people on here.

Same here.

If we dont qualify for Europe this year then with a few good additions we should have a free crack at the Prem and FA Cup.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #14: Feb 28, 2011 11:05:14 am
      Carheex, you f**king WUM. This thread is about European football in general, not about top 4. Even qualifying for the Europa League next season looks unlikely now unless we manage to win it. And not just because of our result yesterday, also because of the result of yesterday's cup final.

Carheex is the biggest wind up on here

I want us to get in to Europe on Merit - not due to other teams winning trophies.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #15: Feb 28, 2011 11:06:55 am
      Yeah. But we didn't. And spurs would still have a game in hand. What if spurs had won 2 of the games which they had lost? our position would be no different.
      The point is, even after a half decent run we were still in such a precarious position that 1 bad result means we can forget about european football altogether. I'm hopeful of course but not optimistic to the extent of some people on here who seem to live in complete fantasy.

Yeah, but Spurs, Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and ourselves would play each other at one point towards the end of the season. We've seen strange things happen in football.

We beat Wolves who have beaten Chelsea, Man United and Man City at home and against Chelsea. I don't see why there wasn't a reason to be optimistic when Kenny Dalglish has won more away games in a couple of weeks than Roy has in 6 months.

It was probably a half decent run but it's a major improvement to have a +5 goal difference in Kenny's 8 matches considering the half a season we went through!

Anyways, I'm going way off topic  ;D
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #16: Feb 28, 2011 11:07:46 am
      I want us to get in to Europe on Merit - not due to other teams winning trophies.
      Yeah, I've seen people say that before. But then we shouldn't be playing European football this season either.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #17: Feb 28, 2011 11:09:04 am
      Carheex, you F***ing WUM. This thread is about European football in general, not top 4. Even qualifying for the Europa League next season looks unlikely now unless we manage to win it. And not just because of our result yesterday, also because of the result of yesterday's cup final.

WUM? grow up. It may have escaped your attention but qualification for european football is generally based on league positions.
      Not to long ago, the general opinion (amongst the intelligible posters) was that CL was NOT going to happen and that we'd be lucky to finish in the top half. All of a sudden we beat stoke, fulham and chelsea, (a non-impressive 3 wins out of 7 league games) and people think we're going to finish 4th?!?!?! Again, I go back to my point that we're relying almost exclusively on other's results in the narrow hope that we might qualify for the europa league, which means we were never in a strong enough position anyway. Yesterdays result was almost irrelevant.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #18: Feb 28, 2011 11:12:07 am
      WUM? grow up. It may have escaped your attention but qualification for european football is generally based on league positions.
      Not to long ago, the general opinion (amongst the intelligible posters) was that CL was NOT going to happen and that we'd be lucky to finish in the top half. All of a sudden we beat stoke, fulham and chelsea, (a non-impressive 3 wins out of 7 league games) and people think we're going to finish 4th?!?!?! Again, I go back to my point that we're relying almost exclusively on other's results in the narrow hope that we might qualify for the europa league, which means we were never in a strong enough position anyway. Yesterdays result was almost irrelevant.
      Yes, you're a F***ing WUM. You're the first person in this thread even mentioning that about not making the top 4 because of yesterday's result, yet you're giving people stick for it?! WUM.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Feb 28, 2011 11:17:12 am
      Carheex, I think your missing the point. (Probabbly on purpose) European football was pretty much guarenteed until Brum beat Arsenal, so now 6th place means F**k all. When it usually means Europe.

Where have you got this top 4 stuff from, I have no idea.

This is about Europe. Not champions league.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Feb 28, 2011 03:30:32 pm

Oh you've missed something alright - the whole topic of this thread but you know what? - That's par for the course with you fella. You come on, negative as F**k (as usual), to antagonise and mock your fellow Reds. Debate is one thing and arguing can be forgiven. ...but every F***ing thread sniping and mocking? That's why you get called on being a WUM.

Or were the knee jerkers thinking CL qualification was on the cards because we'd had a half decent run of results for a few weeks? Gotta laugh I suppose...

Like I say; par for the course.  :roll:

Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #21: Feb 28, 2011 03:30:58 pm
      Who cares!

If we haven't got the players or the squad, Kenny will fix that in the summer.

Spurs have got by without european football for decades - all it took was a good manager to buy good players and turn them into excellent ones - the art of management.

I am not bothered about entering the europa league, I would rather wait until we can properly challenge for the title, as we have gone so far backwards in 2 years it is frightening.
      If we can keep Kenny I am sure we will be fine.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Feb 28, 2011 03:50:18 pm
      Who cares!

If we haven't got the players or the squad, Kenny will fix that in the summer.

Spurs have got by without european football for decades - all it took was a good manager to buy good players and turn them into excellent ones - the art of management.

I am not bothered about entering the europa league, I would rather wait until we can properly challenge for the title, as we have gone so far backwards in 2 years it is frightening.
      If we can keep Kenny I am sure we will be fine.

The problem with this bit is, if we don't get European Football, they might not want Kenny to stay.

Europe is a priority for the owners so we either have to win the Europa or have to finish 5th.  Anything less isn't good enough and I don't want that to happen, at all.

Quick Reply