Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. First game, what will it be?

Cracking win, here we go!
      60 (52.6%)
      That was close, but a win is a win!
      32 (28.1%)
      I'll take a draw, work in progress.
      10 (8.8%)
      A loss but the lads need time to gel.
      2 (1.8%)
      We need Messi!!
      10 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Guangdong 3-4 Liverpool - Post-match thoughts

Read 44230 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Guangdong v Liverpool 13 July 2011, KO: 13:00BST
      Reply #368: Jul 13, 2011 03:09:37 pm
      I'm at a loss to know how anyone can have a go off any of our central midfield players to be honest, shows a personal problem with the poster for the player pretty clear that
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #369: Jul 13, 2011 03:10:34 pm
      Have to say, only hit me today how much strength in depth we're actually building.

Considering Pepe, Stevie, Suarez, Lucas, Henderson, Skrtel, Miereles & Johnson wern't in the squad, we still fielded two pretty varied but strong lineups. Ditch a few more of the deadwood and a couple more quality signings and I would be pretty happy going in to the Sunderland match.

If Cole puts in a few more performances like that this pre-season, I would be tempted to hold on to him and give him a few more months.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011 03:19:31 pm by Dannylfc »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #370: Jul 13, 2011 03:11:06 pm
      Great start to pre season, good to get of with a win, all the squad IMO played their part well, good to see Ngog & Caroll get of the mark and score there goals.

Individually i think the stand out performer from that game for me, was Charlie Adam, from that one game he played exactly how i hoped, always looking for a defense splitting pass made a couple of precise paces with his weaker foot as well, i really feel he can be the play maker we have needed since the departure of Alonso.

Flanagan played really well, he seems an upcoming star, played really well in the attacking sense always making himself available and played a couple of great one two's, seeing as he played left back his secondary postition i think he was may second strongest player of the game.

Shelvey & Spearing in the first half played well, always looking for a pass, think them two could be an outstanding partnership for the future, really enjoyed there play.

All in all just what the team needed, although we let in 3 goals, the main thing is we scored 4 and played some decent football, as for Aquilani his vision was there but at times his pass was a bit too heavy, im sure he will come good in the next couple of games, if given the chance.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #371: Jul 13, 2011 03:11:58 pm
      Missed a lot of the first half but hear good things about Cole, if the lad is 100% fit and can stay a 100% he is defo a decent addition to the squad.
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #372: Jul 13, 2011 03:12:00 pm
      Why are people so against Ngog, the guy is still young. He's one of those players I feel has the ability to become explosive once he has the confidence.

Our midfield hasn't managed to put pressure on like they did in the first half. Aquilani.... floats like a butterfly but sadly tackles like one too.

Adam looks the part.... Aquilani looks like a spare one.

Sorry lads.... saying he is playing well doesn't make it true

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #373: Jul 13, 2011 03:12:00 pm
      So Aquilani who wasn't at fault for any of the goals, who knocked the ball around just as well as Adam, played some lovely balls into the channels, just like Adam gets singled out for criticism.

LFCexiled
      Reply #374: Jul 13, 2011 03:13:34 pm
      Had to go out so missed the match, got back just in time to see the replay of their second goal and their last goal.

Anyone fancy giving a genuinely non biased against any player account of the game?

Preferably one that won't cause arguments over what was basically a friendly.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #375: Jul 13, 2011 03:13:39 pm
      Ya but you know why Blood ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #376: Jul 13, 2011 03:15:08 pm
      Had to go out so missed the match, got back just in time to see the replay of their second goal and their last goal.

Anyone fancy giving a genuinely non biased against any player account of the game?

Great start to pre season, good to get of with a win, all the squad IMO played their part well, good to see Ngog & Caroll get of the mark and score there goals.

Individually i think the stand out performer from that game for me, was Charlie Adam, from that one game he played exactly how i hoped, always looking for a defense splitting pass made a couple of precise paces with his weaker foot as well, i really feel he can be the play maker we have needed since the departure of Alonso.

Flanagan played really well, he seems an upcoming star, played really well in the attacking sense always making himself available and played a couple of great one two's, seeing as he played left back his secondary postition i think he was may second strongest player of the game.

Shelvey & Spearing in the first half played well, always looking for a pass, think them two could be an outstanding partnership for the future, really enjoyed there play.

All in all just what the team needed, although we let in 3 goals, the main thing is we scored 4 and played some decent football, as for Aquilani his vision was there but at times his pass was a bit too heavy, im sure he will come good in the next couple of games, if given the chance.

I'll settle for that, cheers. ;)
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #377: Jul 13, 2011 03:16:29 pm
      I thought aquailani did ok, certainly knocked it around well when he got it at his feet, still a long way to go though.. hope he gets more game time.. I do hope he is around his coming season

thought flanagan, kelly, cole, coady, aquilani, adam,shelvey and carroll once he got into it did well today..
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #378: Jul 13, 2011 03:16:59 pm
      If Cole can play like that in the Premier League and he'd take a wage drop to stay, I'd give him a chance till Christmas.

Aquilani, Adam, Coady, Cole, Robinson and Flanagan all played well. Shelvey played well in parts but didn't show enough desire to win the ball back when he lost it a couple of times. Pacheco was unlucky not to finish a sublime move between himself, Shelvey and Cole.

It's all about fitness at this stage and everyone got a good amount of minutes.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #379: Jul 13, 2011 03:21:00 pm
      A fairly entertaining game compared to the usual early pre-season fare. For the older pro's it's impossible to judge anything as they are simply trying to find some fitness but it's always goot to watch the youngsters to see if they've got a bit about them. Young Flanno played well out of position on the left and I was once again impressed with Jack Robinson, I actually wonder if this lad can go and win the starting left-back spot by the end of the coming season? It's early days but he's certainly got good pace, agility, looks a clean tackler and comfortable on the ball. Coady took his goal well, Adam gave us a bit of urgency and it's always good to see your strikers score particularly when you've spent £35 million on them! Disapointing to concede two silly goals in the last 5 though although if it reminds Kenny that we DESPERATELY need a top drawer centre-half then it's not such a bad thing.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #380: Jul 13, 2011 03:25:11 pm

we did well in spells, knocked around well.. in 30 degree heat which must be tough

first half, flanagan was excellent, kelly did well.. shelvey was decent but was sloppy with the ball a couple of occassions and didnt fight to get it back once he did.. cole was good, showed desire, hoping thats playing for his liverpool future rather than that he was in the shop window.. couple of lovely moves, pacheco unlucky with one he just put past the post following a 1-2 with cole.. n'gog was usual n'gog, lively just not quite up to it.. they scored the goal of the first half on the break but slighty disapointed with guluci with it as he could have cleaned it up with a puch if he had been quicker off the line

second half, 11 changes..   again decent in spells.. wisdom started well at rb ..robinson did well at lb..adam played well for the most part, his passing was as good as its been built up to be, aquilani did ok, some good passes too. coady did well. carroll grew into it as the game went on.. dirk and maxi looked a little off the pace
      then we switched off last 5 and probably missed carra organising at the back after we went 4-1 up

overall good workout..
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #381: Jul 13, 2011 03:25:17 pm
      @John_W_Henry John W. Henry
      Late Guangdong goals were beautiful. Entertaining match. Aquilani, Ngog, Robinson, Coady, Andy, others looked very good. Off to Malaysia.
       Interesting tweet from Henry there, especially mentioning Aquilani first
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #382: Jul 13, 2011 03:27:23 pm
      I thought Aquilani got himself in some really advanced positions, yet I hear on the telly he's was playing like he can't be arsed. Nonsense.

Wisdom looks like pretty darn good on the pitch, I can see why he did not want to get too close in a tackle like that, it could've been a pen.

Ngog is always the willing runner, if he manages to get a cool head he won't be too shabby a player.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #383: Jul 13, 2011 03:27:27 pm
      @John_W_Henry John W. Henry
      Late Guangdong goals were beautiful. Entertaining match. Aquilani, Ngog, Robinson, Coady, Andy, others looked very good. Off to Malaysia.
       Interesting tweet from Henry there, especially mentioning Aquilani first

Man knows quality when he see's it,bought us did he not.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #384: Jul 13, 2011 03:28:10 pm

And you ;)
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #385: Jul 13, 2011 03:31:24 pm
      I thought Aquilani got himself in some really advanced positions, yet I hear on the telly he's was playing like he can't be arsed. Nonsense.

Wisdom looks like pretty darn good on the pitch, I can see why he did not want to get too close in a tackle like that, it could've been a pen.

Ngog is always the willing runner, if he manages to get a cool head he won't be too shabby a player.

Aqua looked tidy in possession as he always has. These sort of games (ie. games without tackling) don't really tell you much about any progress he may or may not have made but he did ok.
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #386: Jul 13, 2011 03:32:38 pm
      Aquilani has composure on the ball and played some lovely passes. I think every player over cooked passes on the pitch as the ground seemed very hard.

Two really bad offside calls.

Showed some good squad depth today without some of our top players. Good start to the pre season for me.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #387: Jul 13, 2011 03:32:52 pm

Yeah but you should know better than to throw insults.... I do.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #388: Jul 13, 2011 03:35:12 pm
      Couldn't watch the game but I'm laughing at the fact our first 2 goals of the season were scored by Poulsen and Ngog :lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #389: Jul 13, 2011 03:35:58 pm
      Good entertaining game overall. Thought we lost our way a little in the second half in midfield. First half we applied pressure,second half we let them play.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #390: Jul 13, 2011 03:38:52 pm
      Lost our way in midfield so you don't think there was a problem in defence then. Why don't you just say you think Aquilani was super sh*t and the rest of the midfield was brilliant

Quick Reply