Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match?

Downing
      (1.2%)
      Carroll
      (5.6%)
      Suarez
      (7.5%)
      Lucas
      (9.3%)
      Enrique
      (47.8%)
      Reina
      (6.8%)
      Someone else
      (21.7%)

Spurs 4-0 Liverpool: In game chat and post match finger-pointing

Read 78083 times
      abcdlfc
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Re: Spurs 4-0 Liverpool: In game chat and post match finger-pointing
      Reply #1196: Sep 18, 2011 10:21:20 pm
      we didn't turn up today, we didn't put pressure on them at all even when we had 11 men. it seemed like we were scared of their pace and decided to sit deep and back off everyone leaving them with as much time and vision they needed and we were punished accordingly.

in the beginning of the second half we had a little glimpse of pressure; henderson was running and closing people down then it just fizzled to nothing and we went back to our dire ways.
      suarez was the only one consistently closing people down and this lead to his clear frustration.

all in all poor team selection and mentality cost us dearly.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #1197: Sep 18, 2011 10:23:28 pm
      Dalglish signed poorly in the summer and Carroll was and will prove to be an unmitigated disaster.  Not enough pace in the team from back to front.  The midfield is the worst I have seen in all my years following the club. Have we had a worse  threesome?  A soon to be 34 year old at the back who's pace is diminshing by the game.  A manager who boughlt this mediocrity who then plays Carroll on the left with Bellamy on the bench?  Early days but it's not ptetty. 

Come on ya  attack me with your wum comments.. The truth hurts.... we haven't improved as a team..the only way was up after hodgson ..now the pressure starts....he's bought badly imo....let AA and Raul M go and brought in journeymen who can't run or create. 

You're like a broken record with your constant agenda against Dalglish. He hasn't even had a full season in charge yet and you're writing all the signings off. Not to mention you keep posting off topic. I think you raise some good points and I agree with your view on todays game regarding our tempo. But to carry on with this tirade against all Dalglish's signings is boring and makes you look like a wum.

You say the truth hurts? Well the truth is, is that every team has a shocker now and again and today Spurs deserve a lot of credit for their attitude and desire. I certainly don't think Henderson, Carroll and Adam are anything special but today the team let the club down and not just Dalglish's signings.

It was a bad team performance, but we are not a bad team.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1198: Sep 18, 2011 10:29:17 pm
      I would actually say the exact opposite to that mate. I would give him games, let him get back into his stride. Perhaps a good performance sgainst some 'lesser' team in the Carling cup could be the thing to help him get some confidence in and help him kick on. The same could actually be said about a lot of the players today.

Ratboy actually made a hood point today that because of his build, he probably needs more games than other players to get back into his stride. Not 15 mins from the bench. A run if games will do him better than being benches. He needs his confidence back.
      I agree that Carroll wasn"t the only one playing bad , Skrtel is a liability, Agger is injury prone and Adam lacks pace. What"s Kenny to do now? go back to the drawing board, we don"t have the time for experimenting .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1199: Sep 18, 2011 10:37:43 pm
      This was as pretty disastrous a day as we could have had on the pitch. Nothing went right. Admittedly the team selection wasn't right and every player failed to turn up. I don't think there's any real complaints on the refereeing front either. Both red cards seemed justified and arguably Adam could have got a straight red. Unlike last weeks defeat there were absolutely no positives to take out of this match. I really fancied having a shot at Spurs today so it was a real hard one to take. Only a convincing performance in Brighton mid week and Wolves at home next week can go to helping rid the bad taste of this match. No one player is to blame. It was as obvious a collective failing as ever. Let's move on and look forward.
      RedDownUnder
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #1200: Sep 18, 2011 10:40:15 pm
      Does anybody else feel that Downing is lazy? He seems to disappear when we need somebody to chase and win the ball back. At least Carroll was tracking back and helping out the midfield
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1201: Sep 18, 2011 10:44:32 pm
      Does anybody else feel that Downing is lazy? He seems to disappear when we need somebody to chase and win the ball back. At least Carroll was tracking back and helping out the midfield
      Don't know if it's down to laziness or tactics but yes, I do find that he goes AWOL now and again.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #1202: Sep 18, 2011 11:09:34 pm
      Am I the only one who is a bit shocked by the comments.  Yes, I agree that our play was below par and I think we are playing below our talent level. Buts lets not get crazy here. I think if anything the first 3 matches where we played great were the real anomaly. This is still an organization which has had through 3 coaches in  24 months, 2 completely new Ownership groups, debt issues, multiple new player signings/transfers and a load on internal problems.

Maybe I am a bit naive but people are actually questioning KK? Are you f***in serious? Their is no one better suited to coach this team. The comments about the starters and subs are ridiculous. Its going to take time for this team to gel and to produce on the pitch. Sorry but thats the facts. These players, regardless of our opinions on their play, are still the best players in the world and did not get to the EPL and Liverpool because they suck. Its all a matter of timing and getting the best 11, who play well together and if it takes a number of matches to figure it out than so be it.  I will gladly suffer some lean times now for a squad that KK thinks will do it for us.

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1203: Sep 18, 2011 11:13:07 pm
      Am I the only one who is a bit shocked by the comments.

They never fail to leave me scratching my head mate.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1204: Sep 18, 2011 11:29:32 pm
      Simply...Kenny got it wrong.

Playing Skrtel at right back against one of the most talented wide men in the league MUST mean you have experience and a work ethic in front of him and to cover...ie Kuyt. Ok..Bale went quiet 2nd half but the damage was already done.

Also, Carroll should have been subbed as soon as Adam got a red, we needed movement and pace against a Spurs defence which has time and time is more than suspect when attacked.

Blame the sh*t ref all you want, it was wrong team selection and lack of in match tactics / subs that cost us today.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #1205: Sep 18, 2011 11:34:43 pm
      Am I the only one who is a bit shocked by the comments.  Yes, I agree that our play was below par and I think we are playing below our talent level. Buts lets not get crazy here. I think if anything the first 3 matches where we played great were the real anomaly. This is still an organization which has had through 3 coaches in  24 months, 2 completely new Ownership groups, debt issues, multiple new player signings/transfers and a load on internal problems.

Maybe I am a bit naive but people are actually questioning KK? Are you f***in serious? Their is no one better suited to coach this team. The comments about the starters and subs are ridiculous. Its going to take time for this team to gel and to produce on the pitch. Sorry but thats the facts. These players, regardless of our opinions on their play, are still the best players in the world and did not get to the EPL and Liverpool because they suck. Its all a matter of timing and getting the best 11, who play well together and if it takes a number of matches to figure it out than so be it.  I will gladly suffer some lean times now for a squad that KK thinks will do it for us.

Totally agree mate.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #1206: Sep 18, 2011 11:42:10 pm
      Am I the only one who is a bit shocked by the comments.  Yes, I agree that our play was below par and I think we are playing below our talent level. Buts lets not get crazy here. I think if anything the first 3 matches where we played great were the real anomaly. This is still an organization which has had through 3 coaches in  24 months, 2 completely new Ownership groups, debt issues, multiple new player signings/transfers and a load on internal problems.

Not shocked, but I am disappointed.

There is a general lack of footballing knowledge, which a lot of us can see from people's posts apportioning blame to a single player, or a single decision - but what is alarming is the lack of knowledge about the ethos of the club.

Fortunately, rule 7 of the forum gives the staff licence to ban such users who are otherwise spoiling the enjoyment of more decent level headed Liverpool fans.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #1207: Sep 18, 2011 11:43:58 pm
      he's bought badly imo....let AA and Raul M go and brought in journeymen who can't run or create. 

Aqualani and Mereiles both didn't want to play for our club. They didn't want to wear the shirt. Should we be giving someone who doesn't want to play in our team a starting birth infront of the hundreds of thousands of others that want to wear it with pride? Aquas family is in Italy and he stated he wanted to stay there and Mereiles handed in a transfer request.

He also bought Suarez, that a crap signing too? Talk about jumping ship after 1 bad day at the office...

xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #1208: Sep 18, 2011 11:44:59 pm
      I agree KK got it wrong today I think we should of started with Bellamy and Suarez but hindsight is a great thing and KK is human so slip ups will happen

really getting pissed of with losing to spurs though even though they completely deserve it
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #1209: Sep 18, 2011 11:47:15 pm
      Am I the only one who is a bit shocked by the comments.  Yes, I agree that our play was below par and I think we are playing below our talent level. Buts lets not get crazy here. I think if anything the first 3 matches where we played great were the real anomaly. This is still an organization which has had through 3 coaches in  24 months, 2 completely new Ownership groups, debt issues, multiple new player signings/transfers and a load on internal problems.

Maybe I am a bit naive but people are actually questioning KK? Are you f***in serious? Their is no one better suited to coach this team. The comments about the starters and subs are ridiculous. Its going to take time for this team to gel and to produce on the pitch. Sorry but thats the facts. These players, regardless of our opinions on their play, are still the best players in the world and did not get to the EPL and Liverpool because they suck. Its all a matter of timing and getting the best 11, who play well together and if it takes a number of matches to figure it out than so be it.  I will gladly suffer some lean times now for a squad that KK thinks will do it for us.

Admirable comment,but unfortunately,our game has become "result orientated",due to the need for commercial gain,built on success.Our sporting business model,originates from the good old USA.So now the "Liverpool Way",is as good as the last success or failure.Kenny deserves a season, but will he get it?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1210: Sep 18, 2011 11:58:13 pm
      I thought Spurs set off like a train today, while we didn't really come out of the blocks until Adam was sent off. I hoped we would weather the storm and gradually play our way back into the game , but once Adam had gone it was always going to be an uphill battle. Hard to pick out players that did well, but I thought Enrique was probably our best on a bad day.

I was reasonably happy with the team selected, apart from doubts about Skrtel facing Bale. So I can't really complain about Kenny' selections. Tactics .... I thought we played too deep at the back and allowed them too much room on the edge of the area. Other than that its hard to say how things "might have gone" if Adam hadn't gone first.

Poor performance all round exacerbated by two sendings off and a cracking goal by Moderic.

I hate to use luck as an excuse, especially when we have been outplayed and beaten 4-0, but so far this season we seem to have had more than our fair share of the bad kind.

Not a lot of positives to take from a game like this, so best to just move on to the next one, and hope for the best. 
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #1211: Sep 19, 2011 12:00:02 am
      Kenny is perfect right now in a way no other manager could be. He can manage the expectations of the club at the same time he gives them hope for the future. Kenny is a pragmatist who knows we have to win but also knows that consistency is the key, and that takes time. I personally don't get depressed by big results anymore. I think no point going all out and living on adrenaline. You want success based on long term goals. I can wait, I'm not going anywhere. I do wish Kenny would bring Rafa into the bootroom why he is in between jobs though.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #1212: Sep 19, 2011 12:23:35 am
      Kenny is perfect right now in a way no other manager could be. He can manage the expectations of the club at the same time he gives them hope for the future. Kenny is a pragmatist who knows we have to win but also knows that consistency is the key, and that takes time. I personally don't get depressed by big results anymore. I think no point going all out and living on adrenaline. You want success based on long term goals. I can wait, I'm not going anywhere. I do wish Kenny would bring Rafa into the bootroom why he is in between jobs though.
      Not a bad call mate,assuming that he is not already involved.Kenny's immediate problem,is to pacify a section of fans who have been abused,by previous owners.We are re-building a club from the brink of oblivion.That will take time,and unfortunately for us,other clubs,are buying success.We need patience.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #1213: Sep 19, 2011 12:25:28 am
      We were sh*t today, there's no excuse

In fact, the only player in our entire team who wasn't very, very poor was Enrique

We have some defensive problems (again, mainly our injury-plagued RB position) and Stevie G's out and when these things get sorted, I'm sure we'll be the team we can be again

Skrtel was awful, I know he was out of position but he just couldn't handle Bale

The fact that they had 4 or 5 people jostling for man of the match and we had only one decently performing player speaks volumes

I wont blame the ref, I think he got the decisions more or less right and I wont blame the sendings off cos we were bad from the start

I'm not being negative, I'm sure we can put this behind us and bounce right back but this was possibly the hardest match for me to watch I've ever seen, after all, it was our biggest loss in what, 8 and a half years?

When we went 3-0 down, I had to do all in my power not to fast forward (I sky+d it)

The sendings off didn't help, obviously with Carroll being brought back to midfield when really it should have been Suarez as he has been much better dropping back in recent weeks and he saw pretty much none of the ball the entire match and Coates seems to have been watching too many of our bad habits as he starting hoofing straight away

The one single positive from this shambles of a match was that Enrique was a picture of composure and class

Brighton and then Wolves, good games for us to find our feet again, not saying Brighton away will be the walk in the park some might think but realistically, we should be winning that with our new high expectations and not just that but we CAN win it, we CAN beat most if not all  teams in the Premier League on our day and we CAN still get a top 4 finish
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #1214: Sep 19, 2011 01:04:46 am
      We were sh*t today, there's no excuse

In fact, the only player in our entire team who wasn't very, very poor was Enrique

We have some defensive problems (again, mainly our injury-plagued RB position) and Stevie G's out and when these things get sorted, I'm sure we'll be the team we can be again

Skrtel was awful, I know he was out of position but he just couldn't handle Bale

The fact that they had 4 or 5 people jostling for man of the match and we had only one decently performing player speaks volumes

I wont blame the ref, I think he got the decisions more or less right and I wont blame the sendings off cos we were bad from the start

I'm not being negative, I'm sure we can put this behind us and bounce right back but this was possibly the hardest match for me to watch I've ever seen, after all, it was our biggest loss in what, 8 and a half years?

When we went 3-0 down, I had to do all in my power not to fast forward (I sky+d it)

The sendings off didn't help, obviously with Carroll being brought back to midfield when really it should have been Suarez as he has been much better dropping back in recent weeks and he saw pretty much none of the ball the entire match and Coates seems to have been watching too many of our bad habits as he starting hoofing straight away

The one single positive from this shambles of a match was that Enrique was a picture of composure and class

Brighton and then Wolves, good games for us to find our feet again, not saying Brighton away will be the walk in the park some might think but realistically, we should be winning that with our new high expectations and not just that but we CAN win it, we CAN beat most if not all  teams in the Premier League on our day and we CAN still get a top 4 finish
      I think this is a great review on the match today.
      AX1377
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #1215: Sep 19, 2011 01:28:34 am
      Spurs were very, very good. A lot of their fans are saying that is the best they have played in a long-time.

I think they would have beaten a lot of teams playing like that todat.

They had an explosive start and we just weren't at the races.

We were really poor and they were just very good - on the day.

I bet we will hammer them when they play at Anfield. Just like Man City last season.

;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,358 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1216: Sep 19, 2011 01:30:27 am
      Say what ye will but as soon as Adam went, game over. We have not got, Agger aside, and sadly his injury coincided, centre halves who can play ball, carry it out, and without Adam we have no creativity in midfield so game over.

Maybbe Im Mad but I think that game might stand to us, overall
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1217: Sep 19, 2011 02:05:00 am
      Say what ye will but as soon as Adam went, game over. We have not got, Agger aside, and sadly his injury coincided, centre halves who can play ball, carry it out, and without Adam we have no creativity in midfield so game over.

Got nothing much to say about the game but that we were outplayed from the start and the red cards killed us. Everyone was poor, from front to back. As to your point about ball playing centre backs I thought Coates certainly looked confident enough to bring it out of defence. Maybe he was a little too exuberant and over hit his first pass or two, but he certainly looked comfortable with the ball at his feet I thought.

Lvpfanatic
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #1218: Sep 19, 2011 02:07:25 am
      Spurs were made to look like Brazil in 1970. It makes me wonder how they lost 5-1 at home to City.

We played brilliant football right from kick off vs Bolton and the Spurs game we were the diametric opposite. If we want to remain as a 6th placed team like last season, fine, continue on to be inconsistent. But if you want a CL spot, the consistency have to be there.

I didn't bother to watch most of our games during the disastrous Hodgson era but one weakness I've noticed since KK took over is that we play very rough and thus gave away too many penalties, free kicks and now sent offs. This definitely has to be looked into.

Adam and Hendo in midfield, I don't know whether they will come out good in future but at the moment they're very average to say the least. Yes, we need Stevie back, but he's at the wrong side of 30 and may have past his prime and could be too injury prone.

I hope KK won't resign/sacked because he's still the best man to be in charge if he still has the passion for the job and won't suffer another nervous breakdown. And I disagree with Commolli that our rebuilding is complete. Either he was justifying himself or what he really meant was complete based on the budget we had and without CL football. How can our signings be complete when we lack creative midfielders,  lousy on the right flank without a natural right winger and without a prolific scorer like Fowler to compliment Suarez?

So in the January transfer window we need to sign a quality right winger, creative central midfielder and a prolific striker. This will be hard to achieve but this is a must if we're to stand any chance of finishing in top 4.

Quick Reply