Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 677424 times
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,618 posts | 1514 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Re: Steven Gerrard Player Thread
      Reply #4554: Jan 01, 2015 04:55:37 pm
      We need to desperately start using him like City are using Lampard, he's keeping them up there with his old club...
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #4555: Jan 01, 2015 05:01:07 pm
      Rodgers hasn't got the bottle to drop Gerrard.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #4556: Jan 01, 2015 05:02:09 pm
      He shouldn't be rested. Should be dropped.

Land lord or not, BR needs to be the boss here.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4557: Jan 01, 2015 05:16:07 pm
      Other than dead ball situations where he's still head and shoulders one of the best, Gerrard hasn't merited a place in the side this season. I understand Stevie's the captain and probably the best player we've ever had, but he doesn't have it anymore.

He can still be a big player for us and he can still have a massive impact, but it's going to have to be from the bench from me.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4558: Jan 01, 2015 05:26:37 pm
      Other than dead ball situations where he's still head and shoulders one of the best, Gerrard hasn't merited a place in the side this season. I understand Stevie's the captain and probably the best player we've ever had, but he doesn't have it anymore.

He can still be a big player for us and he can still have a massive impact, but it's going to have to be from the bench from me.

and there's absolutely no disgrace in that role whatsoever.

I don't want to be digging him for the crap he's serving up, I don't want to be calling him a liability as a DM. 30 mins of Gerrard on full throttle could give loads to this team going forward. It's management and the most obvious difference is Lampard, one being well managed, the other being flogged into the ground.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4559: Jan 01, 2015 05:32:31 pm
      Unless he's playing the deep lying playmaker position he's a passenger in games. It was the same 2 seasons ago too if I recall, last season he was immense because of the role he had. He simply does not have the legs to play where he is now and be asked to do what a good central midfielder would do. Now I am willing to see him tested beside Henderson in the centre. But the Gerrard/Lucas partnership just cannot work in the premier league.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #4560: Jan 01, 2015 06:04:19 pm
      I am surprised by Stevie's own attitude. When all GREAT players know they cannot cut it, they try and bow out gracefully, SG is just looking like a pale sad imitation of himself. His thoughts on signing a new contract with LFC or another club obviously means 1 of 2 things;

1) he can get a move to a club where he can dictate where he plays and how
      2) he just loves playing football and doesn't give a F**k about legacy

to Me you have to blame the manager, no question.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #4561: Jan 01, 2015 06:13:45 pm
      I am surprised by Stevie's own attitude. When all GREAT players know they cannot cut it, they try and bow out gracefully, SG is just looking like a pale sad imitation of himself. His thoughts on signing a new contract with LFC or another club obviously means 1 of 2 things;

1) he can get a move to a club where he can dictate where he plays and how
      2) he just loves playing football and doesn't give a f**k about legacy

to Me you have to blame the manager, no question.
      He is getting it here anyway.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #4562: Jan 01, 2015 06:51:22 pm
      In horse racing every jockey will tell you that when you are riding a finish on something with a chance of winning all pain, tiredness, hunger etc. is gone. You don't feel a thing, you just get every last ounce from yourself and your horse to get to the line first. But when the race is long gone from you and you have to compete to just get the horse over the line it is one of the hardest things to do. Every struggle is intensified, your muscles ache, your head pounds. With every stride you feel every niggling injury, every breath is harder to draw.

And I think this is where Steven is at right now. Last season was one big adrenaline ride for him. Nothing could stop him. He knew every step took him closer to his holy grail. He would have played 100 games without stopping last year because the carrot was dangling in front of him. But this year, it was apparent very early on that we were no where near title contenders and now everything looks laboured for him. It takes so much more effort. It's like the adrenaline has worn off and he's crashing. Last season he felt invincible, this season he looks like hes feeling every day of his 34 years!

Surely it is plain for all to see what Man City are getting out of Lampard with the way they are utilising him. And surely Gerrard can be just as (if not more) effective at that job for us. We've quite clearly seen that the team can play very well without him as a constant figure!

No one can take away what this man has done for this club, but he still has more to offer. It's just a small adjustment...
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #4563: Jan 01, 2015 07:13:08 pm
      And who decides what a player has to be doing to worthy of their wages, it couldn't be left up to the fans that's for sure, fickle fuckers we are!

I'll happily let Gerrard go whenever we have a suitable replacement, maybe Can could be that player, we'll have to wait and see.

You're right it can't be the fans. I think teh obvious answer is that it should be the manager and DOF.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #4564: Jan 01, 2015 09:08:39 pm
      and there's absolutely no disgrace in that role whatsoever.

I don't want to be digging him for the crap he's serving up, I don't want to be calling him a liability as a DM. 30 mins of Gerrard on full throttle could give loads to this team going forward. It's management and the most obvious difference is Lampard, one being well managed, the other being flogged into the ground.

Agree 100 percent. The way Lampard was handled the last two seasons is what we should've been doing with Stevie.

Semi related note, it feels weird to me to criticize a guy who scored both of our goals today, but he's not a 90 minute player anymore, especially not in this 3-4-3.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #4565: Jan 01, 2015 09:52:59 pm
      Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 3m3 minutes ago
      Steven Gerrard is set to announce that he will leave Liverpool at the end of this season. MLS is his most likely destination.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4566: Jan 01, 2015 10:02:20 pm
      Steven Gerrard is set to announce that he will leave Liverpool at the end of this season. MLS is his most likely destination.

And then be loaned to City.

Saw that, to be honest, it will be very interesting if he goes.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #4567: Jan 01, 2015 10:09:07 pm
      And then be loaned to City.

Saw that, to be honest, it will be very interesting if he goes.

Rumor is LA Galaxy....
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #4568: Jan 01, 2015 10:12:14 pm

I'm so conflicted. I'd hate to see Gerrard leave Liverpool. He's a big reason why I started following the club many years ago and I still think he can have an impact here. But the selfish side of me will relish getting to see him play every week here in the States.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4569: Jan 01, 2015 10:12:31 pm

I was just giving an example, but as their season starts about now, I bet he would be loaned out to recoup some money.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4570: Jan 01, 2015 10:18:11 pm
      Despite Gerrard's performances this season, I still want him to stay, I hope this is not true :(
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #4571: Jan 01, 2015 10:29:12 pm
      Whatever Stevie decides, I am sure all LFC fans will respect his wishes. Obviously wish him well for the future, as a truly great servant to the club.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #4572: Jan 01, 2015 10:41:03 pm
      BBC now reporting that he is leaving.

Hyypia ... Carra and now Stevie ... all that experience, knowledge and quality allowed to walk out of the club.

Good luck Stevie and thankyou for all the memories.

The greatest red ive ever seen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4573: Jan 01, 2015 10:42:50 pm
      Thanks for the memories Cap.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4574: Jan 01, 2015 10:43:06 pm
      Owes the club nothing. The move will be good for him and quite possibly, in a strange way, it might be good for the club overall.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #4575: Jan 01, 2015 10:49:53 pm
      Owes the club nothing. The move will be good for him and quite possibly, in a strange way, it might be good for the club overall.

I agree Brian.

I think its best for everyone involved.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #4576: Jan 01, 2015 10:50:08 pm
      Please don't go to city though Stevie..... Love you man, greatest player in our history and a legend.

Quick Reply