Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team

Read 11529 times
      RyanBabel
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Re: How Will the Signing of Sturridge Change Team
      Reply #69: Jan 05, 2013 05:07:28 pm
      Downing   Sturridge  sterling

Suarez

Gerrard         Lucas
      Glen    Dan     Mart    Wisdom

Suarez as a roaming #10
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #70: Jan 05, 2013 05:28:41 pm
      It'll give us a starting XI of S's

Spaniard

Scouse Skrtel Seb Stu

Stevie Sahin Suso

Sterling Suarez Sturridge

+  Subs.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #71: Jan 06, 2013 07:47:17 pm
      Q ) How will the signing of Sturridge change the team?..
      A) By putting the ball in the back of the net and taking a bit o pressure off Luis Suarez...Perfect start today after 7 minutes and a class finish..he looked hungry as he should be...goals goals and more goals please Daniel...
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #72: Jan 06, 2013 08:28:44 pm
      As I mentioned in the match thread when Suarez came on he played on the right wing and was far less effective than when he plays as a central striker. Hope that was an experiment and hope that he doesn't get moved to accommodate Sturridge.

There's only one player in our whole squad I'd move other players around to accommodate and that's Suarez.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #73: Jan 07, 2013 04:08:59 am
      I was wondering... After seeing him in this Sunday's match, what do you think? Would you put him in the starting team against MU? On the right wing, perhaps, with Luis central striker and Raheem at the left?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Reply #74: Jan 07, 2013 06:11:36 am
      Based on the way Suarez has played for Ajax http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/09/29/ajax-1-1-milan-tactics/ and the way Rodgers is talking about playing them both , i suspect the formation to look like this when everyone is fit.

But as he has mentioned previously, we have lots of players who can fill in a few positions which allows us some flexibility.

Sturridge can also play across the front 3, i think its a shame about Carroll never really getting a chance , as hes also a good option.
      But apparently hes too much of an expensive option.

I dont know how much f his wages west ham are paying but we seem to keep buying people so i dont know if loaning him out really makes a difference to the bottom line. I supposed he just doesnt rate him at all.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #75: Jan 07, 2013 06:14:32 am
      As I mentioned in the match thread when Suarez came on he played on the right wing and was far less effective than when he plays as a central striker. Hope that was an experiment and hope that he doesn't get moved to accommodate Sturridge.

There's only one player in our whole squad I'd move other players around to accommodate and that's Suarez.

Suarez came on for Sturridge so they never played alongside each other. Big difference talking about Suarez being ineffective on the right with Henderson and Downing in support. No one would displace Luis for either of those players centrally. The idea behind Sturridge playing through the center is to have the two strikers support each other, it's impossible to judge when they never got the chance to do exactly that.

Don't jump to conclusions, we didn't see anything today. It was not a first choice squad, it was on an awful pitch, in a scrap of a game.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #76: Jan 07, 2013 06:53:28 am
      based on the little we've seen so far I'd like to see Sturridge on the right wing (and Sterling on the left), Suarez will find himself out there anyway, so will Henderson, Johnson, Gerrard etc. this is our style.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #77: Jan 07, 2013 07:16:34 am
      based on the little we've seen so far I'd like to see Sturridge on the right wing (and Sterling on the left), Suarez will find himself out there anyway, so will Henderson, Johnson, Gerrard etc. this is our style.

As long as Downing is not starting it's fine to me :P
      but seriously I like this trio! I think that adding Ince will add something even  more explosive from what I've seen via youtube.
      And Borini :D

Imagine:
      Suarez      Borini        Sturridge

With Sterling and Ince as subs or sometimes starting.

Our succes will depend mainly on the midfield, the best one IMO is:

Shelvey
      Lucas             Gerrard
      since Shelvey and Gerrard are more offensive wherever they play and they can both score around 10 goals a season and Lucas is the heart of the team for me. But Shelvey has his off games often, and for this reason I think Allen should be preferred there. The issue is that Allen is not very athletic and scores rarely although his runs are very intelligent and his passing and retaining abilities are undeniable. I'd rather have him play vs ManUtd due to his abilities and serenity and his game vs them was just awesome. If we control the midfield we control the game and hence we are much much more dangerous. And with Suarez up front, as long as he's focused on the scoring part only, I'm sure the goals will come, and now with Sturridge, Suarez will be marked less and we know what follows
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #78: Jan 07, 2013 09:40:19 am
      It is an ever-changing thing but I feel our best midfield consists of Lucas, Gerrard and Allen

Henderson is proving to be a useful midfielder and Shelvey is a great young attacker - but that's what he is, not a central midfielder, not in the Prem at least, not yet.

Sahin is a great sixth man to have in there as if he gets himself fitter, more accustomed to England, whatever it may be, he could be important to the second half of our season. I guess he had to learn how to keep possession in the pace of this league and Rodgers' gameplan too, I hope his spell here is not over.

It depends on the front three, of course. Plus the fact that Lucas is coming back to full strength means that we have no one player (besides Gerrard) in the centre who can remain a strong presence, retain possession, aka boss it. That is why we've seen the combo of Allen and Henderson work out OK but I don't think we should start those two against the mancs.

--

Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling basically picks itself. Ince is a strong young attacker to have in the mix - he has been scoring goals, which is something we badly need, albeit in the Championship. He will have to step up to the Prem, like Sterling, who has worked his socks off for a couple of goals and assists so far this season. But Ince, should he move back to Anfield in the coming weeks, will have a better team to come into, I feel.

Downing I am not sure about. He has been playing better and seems to have more hunger, or is at least playing better in this system. Not sure he should start against the mancs but how useful would he be as an impact sub? Maybe he will be left out all together but that hasn't been the case recently. If he does start I assume Sturridge and Suarez will complete the front three and they will be very fluid indeed. With the midfield of Allen Gerrard and Lucas I feel we can get the result at the Toilet.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #79: Jan 07, 2013 10:53:36 am
      The Old Soak will stir up the sh*t about Suarez.
      All the focus will be on how evil and dastardly Suarez is.
      Man United players get caught up in the witch hunt.
      Players and coaches lose sight of our newest threat.

Sturridge scores the winner against United.

QED
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #80: Jan 07, 2013 12:42:39 pm
      yes its quite something to get your head round that a player whose desire to win at all costs is vilified over a drug cheat and an adulterer.
      I think it would be a great moment to see Luis dive in front of Ferguson after scoring his third goal.
      Sturridge has already shown he can go through the centre or from the wing so I think as long as he and Luis talk they could cause havoc .
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #81: Jan 07, 2013 12:50:00 pm
      I think signing Sturridge will be a great move for both him and us a football club.

What we've lacked this season is options up front - The Sunderland game is a good example of a game Sturridge could of came on and made 5/6-0. We were 3-0 up with 30+ minutes to go and had numerous opportunities to make it more than 3.

Another good thing with Sturridge signing is that Suarez will have someone supporting him when he makes those stunning runs from near the corner flag to crossing across goal.

Variation is another positive Sturridge brings to the team, he could play anywhere along the front 3:

Sturridge Suarez Sterling

or

Suarez Sturridge Sterling

or

Sterling Suarez Sturridge

For me that is one of the best front 3's in the league.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Jan 07, 2013 12:53:37 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #83: Jan 07, 2013 03:18:23 pm
      The impacts of Suárez, Van Persie and Michu were particularly decisive and indicate the incredible
      strength in depth the top division clubs can boast – the three players at the top of the Premier League
      goalscoring charts were all part-rested, then introduced to provide crucial goals late on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/06/liverpool-mansfield-daniel-sturridge

An extract from the above article.

Interesting to see some context to how teams rested their top scorers/key players.
      Some bemoaned Suarez scoring by saying we still rely on him, crucially Sturridge and Suarez
      now give us something we haven't had all season, options.

Quick Reply