Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4234887 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #17112: Aug 19, 2014 03:20:01 am
      Why does every post have to allude to a player in the current squad that you don't like? EVERY POST!

Again with this "not liking" business.  When did I ever say I don't "like" Mignolet?  I do like him.  Seems like a nice lad.  Was very articulate in his interviews Sunday.  But in my opinion he's not good enough.  Surely you're intelligent enough to discern between the two.  I also "like" Brad Jones.  But he's not good enough either.  In fact I "loved" Fabio Aurelio but he, while more than good enough, was never consistently fit and so we needed to get rid.  And we did do. 

In any event in this case bringing up the player in our squad is actually directly relevant, since there would be no need to move for Cech or indeed any other top keeper if Mignolet had been consistently commanding last season and had been the keeper we had hoped he'd be. 

We need a keeper who at the very least can challenge Mignolet, and more likely take his place; Cech is most likely going to be available.  He knows the league.  He knows how to distribute and be commanding in the area.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

As for whether Chelsea would sell him to us---why not?  they sold us Sturridge.  We gave them Torres who (allegedly) was still in his prime.  There's a history of us exchanging top players. 

In any event it won't just be them selling him it would also be him pushing for a move away, there's no chance he wants so sit the bench all season.

Let's just hope Ancelotti doesn't decide to bring him to Madrid to replace Casillas.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #17113: Aug 19, 2014 05:42:45 am

As for whether Chelsea would sell him to us---why not?  they sold us Sturridge.  We gave them Torres who (allegedly) was still in his prime.  There's a history of us exchanging top players. 

In any event it won't just be them selling him it would also be him pushing for a move away, there's no chance he wants so sit the bench all season.

Let's just hope Ancelotti doesn't decide to bring him to Madrid to replace Casillas.

I think you've got this one wrong mate, Rodgers purchased Migs and has faith in him. Migs will be our No.1 for a long time

Chelsea won't deal with us BECAUSE of those transfer dealings and that is exactly why they didn’t sell us Bertrand. We turned a bit part youth player of theirs into a world class striker. We also sold them a donkey for 50 million.

You are pretty close with him replacing Casillas at Madrid, that’s definitely the more likely scenario.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,295 posts | 4941 
      Reply #17114: Aug 19, 2014 11:13:54 am
      He's a very good player who we were linked with in January but people on the forum turned their noses up at him because he "wasn't as good as Lucas."

Don't remember this.

You make that up Fed?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #17115: Aug 19, 2014 11:25:46 am
      Don't remember this.

You make that up Fed?

Think he's getting confused with Diame again.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #17116: Aug 19, 2014 11:35:17 am
      Think he's getting confused with Diame again.

Who is this Diame legend you speak off?
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #17117: Aug 19, 2014 12:12:13 pm
      Who is this Diame legend you speak off?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #17118: Aug 19, 2014 12:24:38 pm
      I would rather just go with what we have including Borini than take Eto'o.

I think you know my thoughts on Borini but I would take him every day of the week instead of ETO. The reason I don't want Borini is because we need someone who can get close to Luis's goals total and I would back Borini over ETO all the time to achieve this.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #17119: Aug 19, 2014 12:30:34 pm
      I think you know my thoughts on Borini but I would take him every day of the week instead of ETO. The reason I don't want Borini is because we need someone who can get close to Luis's goals total and I would back Borini over ETO all the time to achieve this.

Eto isn't the answer to replacing Luis's goals. And Borini certainly isn't either.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      Reply #17120: Aug 19, 2014 12:37:23 pm
      Eto isn't the answer to replacing Luis's goals. And Borini certainly isn't either.

Personally think we already have the anwser to that issue with Markovic, Sterling, Sturridge. As well as Coutinho and Henderson chipping in a decent amount.

The nesscity of a striker being needed for me is one who can score 10-15 to help us with or without Sturridge there is no need for another 30+ goalscorer.

Obviously a Falcao or Cavani would make us stronger but we don't NEED them imo.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,295 posts | 4941 
      Reply #17121: Aug 19, 2014 12:38:16 pm
      Obviously a Falcao or Cavani would make us stronger but we don't NEED them imo.

Even if Sturridge gets injured?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      Reply #17122: Aug 19, 2014 12:40:28 pm
      Even if Sturridge gets injured?

IF he gets injured I am hoping it wouldn't put him out for the season. And if it didn't I think with a strong enough striker like Bony (I have no idea who else) will be able to cope. We NEED another striker don't get me wrong but whether they have to be capable of 30+ goals is another matter.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #17123: Aug 19, 2014 12:46:04 pm
      IF he gets injured I am hoping it wouldn't put him out for the season. And if it didn't I think with a strong enough striker like Bony (I have no idea who else) will be able to cope. We NEED another striker don't get me wrong but whether they have to be capable of 30+ goals is another matter.

The way I see it we are involved in four competitions this season and we absolutely need another striker capable of 30+ goals or at the very least 20+ goals.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      Reply #17124: Aug 19, 2014 12:49:09 pm
      The way I see it we are involved in four competitions this season and we absolutely need another striker capable of 30+ goals or at the very least 20+ goals.

Fair enough mate.

Like I said I am not against it I just think we have players who might surprise us is in how many goals they can get between them.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #17125: Aug 19, 2014 12:54:40 pm
      You're not concerned about a midfield of Yaya Toure, Fernando, and David Silva.  Ok then.

Why should we be concerned?

- We managed pretty well without Stevie at Etihad (had an unfortunate offside decision when Raheem was through)
      - Struggled for 20 mins after Milner came on at Anfield but eventually won the game

I'll be concerned if and ONLY IF Stevie & Lucas start together. It should ideally be Can/Allen-Stevie-Hendo
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #17126: Aug 19, 2014 01:01:46 pm
      Fair enough mate.

Like I said I am not against it I just think we have players who might surprise us is in how many goals they can get between them.

Well the ideal/dream player would be Reus who can score 20+ goals a season from any forward position. Then we wouldn't need to scramble around looking for a striker. If only.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,295 posts | 4941 
      Reply #17127: Aug 19, 2014 01:15:53 pm

If we can get one that can score 30+ goals a season we should be aiming to get him.

yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #17128: Aug 19, 2014 01:24:36 pm
      12 days to go. Every striker mentioned has question marks about the viability of the link or move
      1. Cavani; Zlatan injured
      2. Falcao; returning from bad injury and huge wages
      3. Balotelli; disruptive
      4. Eto, past his best
      5. Lavezzi; can't play as a number 9
      6. Reus; won't be sold, Athletico in stronger position, not a striker
      7. Keita Diao; very expensive
      8. Bony; not suited to our system

No solid links at the moment unfortunately. You have to say that Borini staying and/or converting Sterling to a striker if Sturridge gets injured seem most likely with Lambert providing a plan B as he did on Sunday. I obviously hope for a perfect fit (Walcott say if available) but I am not going to hold my breath..
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #17129: Aug 19, 2014 03:47:07 pm

In any event in this case bringing up the player in our squad is actually directly relevant, since there would be no need to move for Cech or indeed any other top keeper if Mignolet had been consistently commanding last season and had been the keeper we had hoped he'd be. 

We need a keeper who at the very least can challenge Mignolet, and more likely take his place; Cech is most likely going to be available.  He knows the league.  He knows how to distribute and be commanding in the area.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Why not?

I don’t know if you are deliberately being funny but there’s a pretty obvious reason “why not”. Let me spell it out for you;.

In case you hadn’t noticed we finished ABOVE Chelsea in the table last year and both of us are now therefore fighting for the title as direct rivals.

Cech is a better keeper than Migs so selling us a player which would strengthen us and weaken them would be a F***ing stupid decision.

If we finished above Chelsea again or won the title thanks to Cech Abramovich would fire the manager the next day.

Trying to equate the decision to sell Torres to them (for which we couldn’t turn down 50 million and weren’t title rivals) and their decision to sell Sturridge to us (when we had finished 8th) is therefore not comparable.

The only reason it might make sense is if they were short of cash and wanted to reinvest it in the squad. Given they are owned by Abramovich and are being run relatively well by FFP rules this appears a tad unlikely.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #17130: Aug 19, 2014 03:50:05 pm

It might be easier to take your opinion on players seriously if you knew how to spell their names correctly.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,307 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17131: Aug 19, 2014 03:53:24 pm
      12 days to go. Every striker mentioned has question marks about the viability of the link or move
      1. Cavani; Zlatan injured
      3. Balotelli; disruptive
      4. Eto, past his best
      5. Lavezzi; can't play as a number 9
      6. Reus; won't be sold, Athletico in stronger position, not a striker
      7. Keita Diao; very expensive
      8. Bony; not suited to our system

All only opinions. While people are entitled to there opinions and a lot of people here watch a lot of football there opinion doesn't make any of the above statements fact.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #17132: Aug 19, 2014 03:58:05 pm

I obviously hope for a perfect fit (Walcott say if available) but I am not going to hold my breath..

Why do his wages matter if we can afford them had Luis stayed he would be on the same salary!

He came off the bench on his return from injury on Sunday and scored so he seems ok.

Wait, you are worried about Falcao's injury but you see Walcott (who is constantly injured) as a "perfect fit"  ???
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #17133: Aug 19, 2014 04:09:19 pm
      Why do his wages matter if we can afford them had Luis stayed he would be on the same salary!

He came off the bench on his return from injury on Sunday and scored so he seems ok.

Wait, you are worried about Falcao's injury but you see Walcott (who is constantly injured) as a "perfect fit"  ???

I have been advocating buying Falcao however:

Falcao + knee injury = season buggered

Walcott + knee injury = season buggered until we sign a replacement in the January window with the money left over.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #17134: Aug 19, 2014 04:12:00 pm
      I have been advocating buying Falcao however:

Falcao + knee injury = season buggered

Walcott + knee injury = season buggered until we sign a replacement in the January window with the money left over.

What are you on about? Falcao has returned after the knee injury and is already scoring again the only thing buggered is people on here not wanting to sign him for some strange reasons.

Quick Reply