Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4249437 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #34109: Jan 24, 2018 08:46:05 pm
      Augbamayang, should we bs in for him?

Klopp should know this guy better than most, so if he's not seriously in for him, must think he's not our best fit.
      Any time I've seen him I've thought he was good, but was by no means blown away.
      Would like to sign a traditional front man at some point though, with Studge on his way out and Origi gone, we surely need to nab one soon.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34110: Jan 24, 2018 08:52:14 pm
      So should we be leveraging more debt on the club to buy players, if so how much debt would you be comfortable with?

There's no need to leverage debt on the club, the money we've wasted on quantity instead of quality Is criminal.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #34111: Jan 24, 2018 09:03:51 pm
      Our old chum Corbs is mentioning links to SalomĆ³n RondĆ³n on Twatter.........surely not........?

*lights blue touch paper and retreats....🔥

Believe that might be a Sun story.

Whether or not it is true - if we make a move in January this is actually more the stature and type of player I could see us bringing in. If Sturridge leaves then Klopp could recognize being a little thin on the bench, particularly against teams that frustrate playing through the middle. He's not going to spend a bunch of money on a backup - and a top, top player isn't going to want to be a backup, but if player X can score against Swansea or West Brom for another lower-table team, he certainly could do that for us in those situations where such a player would be useful - and that player might be willing to be a backup because it's for a big club actually playing for something rather than just staying up.

It's not the big-money signing that many of you want (and that I feel pretty certain will come in the summer and not now), but it could still fill a void in our squad (more than our  starting XI).

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34112: Jan 24, 2018 09:09:34 pm
      There's no need to leverage debt on the club, the money we've wasted on quantity instead of quality Is criminal.

But we have not done that since Klopp took over....what was wasted before cannot be reclaimed so how is it relative to today?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #34113: Jan 24, 2018 09:19:06 pm
      Believe that might be a Sun story.

Whether or not it is true - if we make a move in January this is actually more the stature and type of player I could see us bringing in. If Sturridge leaves then Klopp could recognize being a little thin on the bench, particularly against teams that frustrate playing through the middle. He's not going to spend a bunch of money on a backup - and a top, top player isn't going to want to be a backup, but if player X can score against Swansea or West Brom for another lower-table team, he certainly could do that for us in those situations where such a player would be useful - and that player might be willing to be a backup because it's for a big club actually playing for something rather than just staying up.

It's not the big-money signing that many of you want (and that I feel pretty certain will come in the summer and not now), but it could still fill a void in our squad (more than our  starting XI).

The link I eventually found was ā€œGoalā€ Robby.

I wouldnā€™t have even countenanced that shitrag.

Just really not where my head was on signings (quality wise)......
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #34114: Jan 24, 2018 09:26:44 pm
      The link I eventually found was ā€œGoalā€ Robby.

I wouldnā€™t have even countenanced that shitrag.

Just really not where my head was on signings (quality wise)......

Never meant to suggest you were reading it. Sources are a tangled web and all that.

I know bringing in a backup striker isn't sexy, but Klopp is so mindful of the building process, and if the guy he really wants to make the starting XI better isn't available, he won't spend big money on a guy he doesn't really intend to have feature. But a smaller fee for a player who is willing to play a smaller role (especially if Sturridge leaves), would make more senses for me.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #34115: Jan 24, 2018 09:30:57 pm
      Never meant to suggest you were reading it. Sources are a tangled web and all that.

I know bringing in a backup striker isn't sexy, but Klopp is so mindful of the building process, and if the guy he really wants to make the starting XI better isn't available, he won't spend big money on a guy he doesn't really intend to have feature. But a smaller fee for a player who is willing to play a smaller role (especially if Sturridge leaves), would make more senses for me.

All good mate.

I get your logic but I must admit I genuinely donā€™t understand how weā€™re here and not ready to spend with targets lined up.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34116: Jan 24, 2018 09:42:18 pm
      But we have not done that since Klopp took over....what was wasted before cannot be reclaimed so how is it relative to today?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

Hopefully lessons have been learned.

By not strengthening this window, we will be repeating previous mistakes.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #34117: Jan 24, 2018 09:42:50 pm
      All good mate.

I get your logic but I must admit I genuinely donā€™t understand how weā€™re here and not ready to spend with targets lined up.

See I wonder if Klopp has made up his mind "I want this player." I do think he sees Ox and Lallana as the attacking mids, and the front three picks itself. Maybe it's true he wants Lemar - I guess none of us really knows. But as he watches the rest of the season it may be that he is still evaluating "what is the best way to spend this money? What is the big need? Who do I want to fill it? Should I spend big on the one big transfer or should I bring in a few players? Which players who are possibilities should I have examined more closely?" He might still be thinking on it, as unpopular a notion as that is likely to be on here.
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2018 11:53:47 pm by Robby The Z »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34118: Jan 24, 2018 09:47:37 pm
      'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

Hopefully lessons have been learned.

By not strengthening this window, we will be repeating previous mistakes.

Double edge sword there... if the manager has targets and they are not available should we be spending money on short term fixes? If one of the managers targets is available but at a 40% January premium are we overpaying?

Fine line there between what is right, wrong, helpful and hurtful.

For my part I trust the manager and believe he has 100% control over what does and does not happen with players leaving and those brought in.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34119: Jan 24, 2018 09:50:45 pm

Wages, stadium expansion, the training ground revamp, etc. At least that's what the last set of books said, no need to guess.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #34120: Jan 24, 2018 09:53:38 pm
      See I wonder if Klopp has made up his mind "I want this player." I do think he sees Ox and Lallana as the attacking mids, and the front three picks itself. Maybe it's true he wants Lemar - I guess none of us really knows. But as he watches the rest of the season it may be that he is still evaluating "what is the best way to spend this money? What is the big need? Who do I want to fill it? Should I spend big on the one big transfer or should I bring in a few players? Which players who are possibilities should I have examined more closely? He might still be thinking on it, as unpopular a notion as that is likely to be on here.

Double edge sword there... if the manager has targets and they are not available should we be spending money on short term fixes? If one of the managers targets is available but at a 40% January premium are we overpaying?

For my part I trust the manager and believe he has 100% control over what does and does not happen with players leaving and those brought in.

Yep and as long as it JĆ¼rgenā€™s decision I am more comfortable.

Not because heā€™s infallible but because heā€™s the boss and heā€™s better at it than me.

My point is more that I think we all (now) accept what some of us felt all along - that Cou was going.

7 months to line up how to spend the money shouldā€™ve been doable.........if the money is really there to be spent at JĆ¼rgenā€™s behest.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34121: Jan 24, 2018 09:57:32 pm

Not because heā€™s infallible but because heā€™s the boss and heā€™s better at it than me.

My point is more that I think we all (now) accept what some of us felt all along - that Cou was going.

7 months to line up how to spend the money shouldā€™ve been doable.........if the money is really there to be spent at JĆ¼rgenā€™s behest.

I think from what I have read and heard that indeed Coutinho was going but it was going to be Summer 2018 not in January. I think when you hear JĆ¼rgen speak on letting him go he tried all he could to have him stay through the season and in the end it looked like to him he had a player that was packing it in at at that point that was that.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #34122: Jan 24, 2018 10:09:33 pm
      The money goes on player wages, new stand etc etc. Remember that they also wanted to increase ticket prices but had to roll that back, that hurt revenues. Bottom line they are being prudent, perhaps to much, but they are growing the team, increasing revenues, trying to get us up to the levels of Man Utd in a natural manner.
      But since the New stand had not the TV money gone up...?? and I did account for wages etc... So we will be waiting at least another 20 odd years doing it in a "natural manner" before we can do it on a regular basis...??
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34123: Jan 24, 2018 10:28:40 pm

Spending a little more now to get a target could turn out be the thing that gets us into the Cl.
      I don't know why everyone assumes players will be cheaper in the summer, if they have a good world cup the prices will go through the roof.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34124: Jan 24, 2018 10:32:28 pm
      Spending a little more now to get a target could turn out be the thing that gets us into the Cl.
      I don't know why everyone assumes players will be cheaper in the summer, if they have a good world cup the prices will go through the roof.

Like I said, figure the manager knows everything we do and probably a little bit more.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34125: Jan 24, 2018 10:34:42 pm

I doubt very much JĆ¼rgen would rather wait until the summer IF his targets were available now. If it's a case of not wanting to pay an extra Ā£15/Ā£20 million to get a player here early, then that would be the owners decision.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34126: Jan 24, 2018 10:35:57 pm
      Like I said, figure the manager knows everything we do and probably a little bit more.

No doubt, but it does appear at times that he may have too much confidence in his players.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34127: Jan 24, 2018 10:41:42 pm
      I doubt very much JĆ¼rgen would rather wait until the summer IF his targets were available now. If it's a case of not wanting to pay an extra Ā£15/Ā£20 million to get a player here early, then that would be the owners decision.

Ehh...wouldn't be so sure on that what's the target?

Lemar? is he going to come into the squad and replace the goals and assists that Coutinho brought?  Everything I read is he is a cracking mid-fielding prospect that will take some time to settle into the system; he's not going to knock in 10 goals in 2 months.

So if JĆ¼rgen has from what everybody is saying are the targets of Lemar, Pulisic & Oblak.

The only one I can see that has a potential right here, right now is Oblak who has a release clause of Ā£90 million....add that extra 15-20 million you speak of and there we have a Ā£110,000,000 goal keeper.

He is not going to buy dross...he's not going to bring in somebody for  4 months to do a job and 2/3 targets are mid/forwards that will take time and not hit the ground running.

Like I said...fine lines over what is right and what is wrong.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34128: Jan 24, 2018 10:47:22 pm
      Ehh...wouldn't be so sure on that what's the target?

Lemar? is he going to come into the squad and replace the goals and assists that Coutinho brought?  Everything I read is he is a cracking mid-fielding prospect that will take some time to settle into the system; he's not going to knock in 10 goals in 2 months.

So if JĆ¼rgen has from what everybody is saying are the targets of Lemar, Pulisic & Oblak.

The only one I can see that has a potential right here, right now is Oblak who has a release clause of Ā£90 million....add that extra 15-20 million you speak of and there we have a Ā£110,000,000 goal keeper.

He is not going to buy dross...he's not going to bring in somebody for  4 months to do a job and 2/3 targets are mid/forwards that will take time and not hit the ground running.

Like I said...fine lines over what is right and what is wrong.

There's a reason why our rivals are trying to strengthening in Jan, its going to be a close thing for top four, and they are trying to gain an edge over us.

Four months extra to get up to speed and hit the ground running next season wouldn't be a bad thing either. Lamar is a pipe dream anyway I think.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34129: Jan 24, 2018 10:50:19 pm
      There's a reason why our rivals are trying to strengthening in Jan, its going to be a close thing for top four, and they are trying to gain an edge over us.

Four months extra to get up to speed and hit the ground running next season wouldn't be a bad thing either. Lamar is a pipe dream anyway I think.

Not arguing, I think we all believe we need to strengthen; just don't think the manager is going to A) compromise on who he wants B) overspend on a premium that might make it impossible to get all of his targets.

I think he has had things planned out with the idea that Coutinho was leaving in the Summer of 2018; I think he had his targets for that money along with Keita and now that he has to decide whether to stick or twist.

Considering he doesn't seem to twist much from his idea's and knowing that the owners are going to back him in whatever he decides I think he is planning on sticking.

Big decision on his part that will either make him look like a genius or look like an idiot...big ball none the less.

We will see.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34130: Jan 24, 2018 11:00:48 pm
      Not arguing, I think we all believe we need to strengthen; just don't think the manager is going to A) compromise on who he wants B) overspend on a premium that might make it impossible to get all of his targets.

I think he has had things planned out with the idea that Coutinho was leaving in the Summer of 2018; I think he had his targets for that money along with Keita and now that he has to decide whether to stick or twist.

Considering he doesn't seem to twist much from his idea's and knowing that the owners are going to back him in whatever he decides I think he is planning on sticking.

Big decision on his part that will either make him look like a genius or look like an idiot...big ball none the less.

We will see.

Fingers crossed we can make top then, I'd worry about our budget if we don't, and I think that's another reason why we probably aren't going to sign anyone now, the uncertainty.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34131: Jan 24, 2018 11:14:46 pm
      Fingers crossed we can make top then, I'd worry about our budget if we don't, and I think that's another reason why we probably aren't going to sign anyone now, the uncertainty.

I think our budget will be fine one way or another.

Look CL is important and the biggest players want to be in the CL...that being said we are in a very competitive league where only 4 are going out of a pretty strong top 6, in any given year 2 are going to miss out.

VVD signed we have CL right now...but he knows full well that it's not guaranteed next season, he could of signed for City and got CL and a league winners medal but he chose us because of the manager. Keita could have played til the end of the season this year and got a deal to Bayern but he chose to come here without any guarantee of CL.

Players want to play for this manager, players across Europe watch how we play and what we are capable of; this is an exciting team with a manager that turns good players into world class players and people want to be a part of it.

To hear us on this board sometimes we sound like we are relegation fodder that are lucky to be able to get players at all.

Quick Reply