Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4248145 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #35788: Jun 18, 2018 11:37:27 am
      To be honest you're the only one it seems who is doom and gloom whinge and whining

Really so is Diego all happiness and smiles regarding Karius then??

I think there are many better keepers out there and that we are a very attractive club for players at the moment, please tell me how that is doom and gloom?
      Kopite78
      Reply #35789: Jun 18, 2018 11:42:53 am
      Really so is Diego all happiness and smiles regarding Karius then??

I think there are many better keepers out there and that we are a very attractive club for players at the moment, please tell me how that is doom and gloom?

Cause you constantly drone on and moan

You have to let the manager do what he wants with his budget.
      It's not like he isn't spending money and bringing in top quality players to play for us is it? So if he doesn't see value in what he has to spend with a 70 odd million pound keeper then why get wound up with it?
      I guarantee you right here right now that by the end of the window Mignolet is gone and we have a new keeper.. so relax Yeah?
      It may not be a Oblak or a Allison but I think it will be a new face who will compete with Karius for a decent fee
      And whoever is good enough will play.

The manager has a budget and if he sees a better way to spend that money is on getting goals why not trust him?
      Like you say there are hundreds of keepers.. we may well bring one in to replace Mignolet and compete with Karius..  then buy another couple of top outfield players..

Why not be happy with that and stop F***ing moaning and boring the sh*te out of us all
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35790: Jun 18, 2018 12:29:28 pm
      Concussion is only possible excuse for the mistakes in the final. He hadn't played pretty well leading to the final at all, he was at fault for a Man City goal that was disallowed and misjudged a shot against Roma (in a similar way to Bale's 2nd goal in the final) that luckily went into the post. But the team won so everyone was happy to overlook it at the time

It’s this part of the argument that seems to go over people’s head.

I don’t want Loris to be thrown to the lions but at the same time he’s shown enough in the games before the CL Final that it wasn’t an anomaly.

Need better. Much better.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #35791: Jun 18, 2018 03:28:54 pm
      Concussion is only possible excuse for the mistakes in the final.

And IF it's true he had one, it's a pretty damn good excuse.

And yea, when we win we overlook a lot of things. It's called "perspective".

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35792: Jun 18, 2018 04:17:44 pm
      And IF it's true he had one, it's a pretty damn good excuse.

It sure is!

And yea, when we win we overlook a lot of things. It's called "perspective".

Yeah, but that doesn't mean he played pretty well. It's possible to win stuff with players not being too great. We won a Champions League with Djimi Traoré! :D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #35793: Jun 18, 2018 06:37:27 pm
      So apparently Tolisso's dream club is Liverpool.

Make his dream come true Jürgen. ;D

Didn't he just move to Bayern 12 months ago?

The article I see quotes him from an interview in 2017 saying Gerrard is one of his favorites.

btw, our first preseason friendly is just 20 days away.

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #35794: Jun 18, 2018 06:54:07 pm

Diego... Think that I owe you an apology... Although we may not agree it is in fact you opinion, and choice to like,dislike and to see things the way you choose to and if your choice is to not rate a player or to rate one that I or anyone else does not that is fine (after all I did not rate Benteke when many here did , neither do I rate Henderson or Lallana) I have often preached that this forum is about opinions, and that no ones opinion is more valid than anyone else's, then I belittle yours...
      Sorry mate
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35795: Jun 18, 2018 06:56:44 pm
      btw, our first preseason friendly is just 20 days away.

Wow, so soon!!! Can't wait to see Keita and Fabinho in action!!!!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #35796: Jun 18, 2018 07:19:32 pm
      Yep, whatever. The fact remains that without two massive fuckups, the game is 1-1. Not to mention Karius should probably have done better for Bale's first goal as well, it wasn't that far off him.

But hey, we lost the right winger, so the keeper can do as he likes. Not defeatist at all.
      How am I being defeatist?...
      If you take away the first F**k up Real were still all over us like stink on sh*t...
      They had us pinned in our own half, Yes the ball got punted in to their now and then but when it did it was often 3 vs 1 or 5 vs 2 and the ball along with Real players came straight back.

Their first goal lead to our goal, with out them easing up on us we do not get the corner, but this is all ifs and buts....

Karius made two mistakes, just unfortunately for us they both came in one game, and that was the CL Final...Does not mean that he is a bad Goal keeper. At 24 he is still learning his craft

You say "Not to mention Karius should probably have done better for Bale's first goal as well, it wasn't that far off him."
      Go and watch Rolando's free kick VS Spain and then tell me that De Gea could not of stop that... He moved that way then stopped stood and watched the ball go in

Alisson (25) vs the Switzerland Goal keep should have come for the ball, also remember we put 7 passed him
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #35797: Jun 18, 2018 07:25:26 pm
      It’s this part of the argument that seems to go over people’s head.

I don’t want Loris to be thrown to the lions but at the same time he’s shown enough in the games before the CL Final that it wasn’t an anomaly.

Need better. Much better.
      Totally agree with you... I am not against getting a new keeper we need one, but i'm not for giving up on Karius just yet either
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2018 12:03:34 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35798: Jun 18, 2018 07:58:19 pm

By pretty much stating we stood no chance in a game of football once we lost a player, even though we actually scored a goal after that.
      It's not that difficult to understand that you don't need to dominate or even play well to win a game. The odds were most definitely against us but pretty much accepting defeat is the very definition of defeatism in my eyes.

Karius made two mistakes, just unfortunately for us they both came in one game, and that was the CL Final...Does not mean that he is a bad Goal keeper. At 24 he is still learning his craft

He also made a mistake in the group stage by not stopping Spartak's free kick, he made a mistake against Manchester City in one of their disallowed goals, and made a serious mistake against Roma which thankfully just hit the post. Yeah, occasional mistakes are part of the life of a goalkeeper, but he makes far too many for my liking.

You say "Not to mention Karius should probably have done better for Bale's first goal as well, it wasn't that far off him."
      Go and watch Rolando's free kick VS Spain and then tell me that De Gea could not of stop that... He moved that way then stopped stood and watched the ball go in

Alisson (25) vs the Switzerland Goal keep should have come for the ball, also remember we put 7 passed him

Yes, and so what? What's your point? Both De Gea and Alisson are far better goalkeepers than Karius anyway. All players make mistakes, that's fairly obvious, but accepting those mistakes will depend on what else the said player offers. It's like excusing Moreno for piss poor defending because Maldini once lost his man at left back. If we just apply that lazy logic of "he's still young" and "everyone makes mistakes" to every player then we'll end up with a team of David Ngogs - "he's still learning his craft, even Fernando Torres misses sitters once in a while"...

At the end of the day, I don't think Loris Karius is worth the trouble, and it's fair enough if you do, it's just the making up of ridiculous excuses for his mistakes that I think are totally unnecessary.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35799: Jun 18, 2018 08:01:53 pm
      Diego... Think that I owe you an apology... Although we may not agree it is in fact you opinion, and choice to like,dislike and to see things the way you choose to and if your choice is to not rate a player or to rate one that I or anyone else does not that is fine (after all I did not rate Benteke when many here did , neither do I rate Henderson or Lallana) I have often preached that this forum is about opinions, and that no ones opinion is more valid than anyone else's, then I belittle yours...
      Sorry mate

Hey mate, just seen this, no problem from my side and I don't take disagreements personal myself... I often even forget with whom I have had arguments before :D all good for me, and fair enough if we just agree to disagree
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35800: Jun 18, 2018 09:54:33 pm
      Wolves are gonna be quite a force next season, aren't they? Rui Patricio has signed for them, and I am sure they are gonna bring in a couple more CL quality players in before the window shuts.

On a side note, 46m for Jorginho... F***ing hell :( Oh well, I guess he is more suited to City than us, happy we have Fabinho!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35801: Jun 18, 2018 09:58:27 pm
      Wolves are gonna be quite a force next season, aren't they? Rui Patricio has signed for them, and I am sure they are gonna bring in a couple more CL quality players in before the window shuts.

Honestly, I think it has what happened with QPR written all over it. They were signing the likes of Julio Cesar but in the end it all back fired.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #35802: Jun 19, 2018 09:31:18 am
      Most of the talk during this (northern) Summer has been about us considering a likely 50+ mil move for Roma's Alisson to address doubts about our current options at the position. But many of us who think we need a new option at starting GK, also have doubts about paying such a high fee for someone who hasn't been exceedingly convincing. Should this really be Plan A? And considering Alisson seems to prefer a move to Madrid, what is Plan B?

In my opinion, there are really only five premium goalkeepers in world football at the moment deserving of a 50+ mil move: De Gea, Neuer, Courtois, Oblak, and Ederson. With Oblak recently signing a new long-term deal, Courtois is the only remotely realistic option among those available to us (due to only having a year left on his contract, and Chelsea not qualifying for the CL this year, and prospects of them doing so consistently in the near future doubtful). If Madrid sign Allison (and PSG have FFP issues), Chelsea don't really have anyone else they can sell him to. Their only other option is risking losing Courtois on a free (or cash in late but less by offloading him to us in the Winter window, like Arsenal did with Sanchez).

So if we don't end up getting Allison, and we don't get Courtois this window, what do we do?

There has been talk of Thomas Strakosha from Lazio. I don't mind him, but still feel he parries the ball too much for my liking, so I'd still have doubts until he shows us otherwise. A fee under 25 mil isn't unreasonable, but talks of it taking 35 mil to secure him seems like a roll of the dice for us that is too dear. Other than Alisson and Strakosha, the only other target particularly mentioned in the press that seems obtainable is Nick Pope from Burnley.

Now bear with me. I know he's not a sexy signing. I know he's not necessarily the alpha dog type of keeper I'd normally beat the drum for. But if an obvious one of such is unavailable to us, what do we really need from the position? Do we really need Inspector Gadget in goals? The best shot stopper in world football? The best with the ball at his feet? The biggest reputation? The most expensive? Or do we just need solid and reliable? Do we just need someone with good temperament and judgement, and seemingly not error prone?

When Tom Heaton went down for Burnley last year, his replacement was none of the things Liverpool fans seem to be calling for at the moment to fill our position of need. It was Nick Pope. A nobody. Just another body. And he came in and did a job, was one of the best keepers in the PL last season (visually and stats-wise), and Burnley will be playing European football in the coming year after Pope finishes up at the WC.

So if we can't get a proven premium keeper, is paying a premium for a lesser keeper really the best strategy for us? Perhaps we're better off with more bodies. More excrement to throw at the wall to see which actually sticks. More tickets in the raffle, to improve our chances of actually winning. Instead of blowing a huge fee on Alisson, why not spend less on two or more bodies?

My other choice at this point of time is Arsenal target, Bernd Leno from Leverkusen. Every time I've seen him (and admittedly it's not as often as I'd like to have), he has played with the kind of swagger and confidence I'd much rather see in one of our keepers (and which Mignolet and Karius desperately lack). He is reasonably commanding and a decent communicator (once again, especially compared to our two). He's a good shot stopper too.

Would it really be absurd to sign Leno (25 mil) and Pope (15 mil) for less than what we'd have to pay for Alisson? Would that not be the better play for us? Sell Mignolet, and loan out either Ward or Karius (with Pope being homegrown we could do either). Personally, I'd rather see Karius potentially get a full season elsewhere, and let Leno and Pope bring a fresh culture to our keepers room as they compete for the starting role without former starters being around.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha31HIn1udE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ioLqh_r4s
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #35803: Jun 19, 2018 09:53:46 am
      Are we actually linked to either keeper?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35804: Jun 19, 2018 09:55:16 am
      I'm not against getting in a hot young prospect but what we need now and have needed for many many years is the finished article and I'm starting to think that Courtois ticks all the boxes, I'd be more than happy if we spent £50m on him but since he is the final year we could hopefully push the fee down. He is a superb goalkeeper who seems disenchanted at Chelsea, under Klopp I think you'd see him back at his very best again.
      Kopite78
      Reply #35805: Jun 19, 2018 09:56:18 am
      I'm not against getting in a hot young prospect but what we need now and have needed for many many years is the finished article and I'm starting to think that Courtois ticks all the boxes, I'd be more than happy if we spent £50m on him but since he is the final year we could hopefully push the fee down. He is a superb goalkeeper who seems disenchanted at Chelsea, under Klopp I think you'd see him back at his very best again.

But he wants to move to Madrid to be near his children

Won't happen
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35806: Jun 19, 2018 09:58:30 am
      But he wants to move to Madrid to be near his children

Won't happen

Is there a 3rd club in Madrid? Allison is going to Real an deven if he doesn't they already have a good keeper and Atletico have Oblak so who will he play for?
      Kopite78
      Reply #35807: Jun 19, 2018 10:09:01 am
      Is there a 3rd club in Madrid? Allison is going to Real an deven if he doesn't they already have a good keeper and Atletico have Oblak so who will he play for?

Who says Allison is going to Madrid? Seems to me that Roma or his agent are playing games a little but trying to get the price up.
      Roma  owner last week said something along the lines of

75m? Well Liverpool can have him for that too

Seems to me someone who's just driving a price

Also tell me a time when Perez has spent anything like that figure on someone who doesn't play in the front 6? Navas is their 56th highest transfer of all time, the highest they've ever paid for a keeper at €10m

Why would they pay that for Allison? I'm not sure they need him when they have Courtois and De Gea out of contract in 12 months each and it's more likely they say to one of their agents, hold Off, see it out and we'll sign you on massive wages

I see that as more likely and they stick with Navas until then than they sign Allison

That noise just is coming from Roma (and a story with no quotes saying he'd prefer the move there. Maybe he would but there's no suggestion Madrid want him)

As for Oblak? He could get a move anywhere too and it's likely to happen at some point, so Courtois could hold out for that too and replace him on a free next summer too.
      That seems a massive type of Atleti deal to me. Sell Oblak for 88m get Courtois for a free

If Courtois is patient I think he gets his move to be near his kids
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #35808: Jun 19, 2018 10:17:38 am
      Are we actually linked to either keeper?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-step-up-nick-pope-12740332

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/974366/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Bernd-Leno-Fabio-Parisi-Bayer-Leverkusen-Napoli-Arsenal-Klopp

Not the best sources obviously, but the Pope one has been around for a while, and it does seem like Liverpool have at least been sniffing around Leno.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #35809: Jun 19, 2018 10:41:14 am
      Who says Allison is going to Madrid? Seems to me that Roma or his agent are playing games a little but trying to get the price up.
      Roma  owner last week said something along the lines of

75m? Well Liverpool can have him for that too

Seems to me someone who's just driving a price

Also tell me a time when Perez has spent anything like that figure on someone who doesn't play in the front 6? Navas is their 56th highest transfer of all time, the highest they've ever paid for a keeper at €10m

Why would they pay that for Allison? I'm not sure they need him when they have Courtois and De Gea out of contract in 12 months each and it's more likely they say to one of their agents, hold Off, see it out and we'll sign you on massive wages

I see that as more likely and they stick with Navas until then than they sign Allison

That noise just is coming from Roma (and a story with no quotes saying he'd prefer the move there. Maybe he would but there's no suggestion Madrid want him)

As for Oblak? He could get a move anywhere too and it's likely to happen at some point, so Courtois could hold out for that too and replace him on a free next summer too.
      That seems a massive type of Atleti deal to me. Sell Oblak for 88m get Courtois for a free

If Courtois is patient I think he gets his move to be near his kids

Yeah if I was Madrid, I'd definitely be patient and not jump for Alisson. Could easily get De Gea or Courtois for a reasonable fee (for a premium player) or free in the near future. De Gea will get unsettled early in the season when it's confirmed how far Man Utd still are from challenging for the title and dominating games. He'll not be happy with just fighting for a CL place, and I'm sure he'll be over facing as many shots as teams that are battling relegation (like he did last season).

Courtois' options will be impacted most by how Madrid move. Personally, I do not see Madrid getting Oblak from Atletico, nor any club paying his release clause in the next couple years. So if they get either De Gea or Alisson, Courtois' Madrid aspirations would be somewhat dashed. Would he be content staying at Chelsea for one more year without CL football? Would Chelsea be content letting him go for free if they don't get back to challenging for the title?

I think both player and club will be waiting until no sooner than the last days of the window. There is every chance we'll get off to another flyer while Chelsea flounder. Anything could happen. But my bet would still be on Courtois reluctantly seeing out his contract, and then challenging one of the Madrid teams to sign him and offload their incumbent for a healthy profit.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #35810: Jun 19, 2018 10:51:10 am
      Wow Rui Patricio on a free to Wolves, I reckon he could have done a job for us.

Quick Reply