Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)

Read 65685 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)
      Reply #299: Aug 07, 2013 07:02:45 pm
      Fairplay to you for doing the research fella. I read article the other day that said Costa disn't actually start playing football seriously until he was 15 so that would go some way to explaining any technical deficiencies as this sort of thing is normally entrenched in players at youth level.
      He didn't actually start playing until 1978. :)
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #300: Aug 08, 2013 04:38:27 am
      Good post Fed
      Hes basically a dirty dirk kuyt more physical less technical.

We will all love the work rate and getting stuck in,chipping in with goals and assists

But we will be frustrated as hell with all the not beating a man and mistakes aswell

A great addition to suarez but NEVER a repalcement
      How can anyone be less technical than Dirk Kuyt?

From what I seen he's 10 x more skillfull, just don't want him because he's a dirty c**t - the last thing we need is another Suarez or worse( attitude wise).
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #301: Aug 08, 2013 12:18:56 pm
      Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 3h
      At. Madrid insist Diego Costa will not go anywhere. He will be offered a new contract. His buy out clause is 25 million euros.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #302: Aug 08, 2013 12:34:43 pm
      Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 3h
      At. Madrid insist Diego Costa will not go anywhere. He will be offered a new contract. His buy out clause is 25 million euros.

Haven't we already activated his buy out clause  ???
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #303: Aug 08, 2013 01:10:28 pm
      Haven't we already activated his buy out clause  ???

Buy out clauses in Spain are only valid for other Spanish teams, if memory serves, for the rest of the world, I believe, it just gives a kind of guide price.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #304: Aug 08, 2013 01:17:48 pm
      Haven't we already activated his buy out clause
      A bit like Arsenal activated Suarez's maybe?  ;D

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #305: Aug 08, 2013 01:19:04 pm
      They DO have to accept, it's the release clause of his contract.

That's not how those clauses work.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #306: Aug 08, 2013 02:00:06 pm
      Buy out clauses in Spain are only valid for other Spanish teams, if memory serves, for the rest of the world, I believe, it just gives a kind of guide price.

Well in that case we'd better start looking at alternative options and fast!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #307: Aug 08, 2013 02:04:08 pm
      Got a feeling this isn't going to happen. Wonder if we ever really were serious?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #308: Aug 08, 2013 04:20:26 pm
      Well in that case we'd better start looking at alternative options and fast!
      he has an older brother  :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #309: Aug 08, 2013 04:38:33 pm

How old is he, 45?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #310: Aug 08, 2013 08:57:50 pm
      Around that FL , he's a year older that Diego . ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #311: Aug 08, 2013 09:16:07 pm
      That's not how those clauses work.

Funny that, City only managed to sign Aguero because they met his buy out clause, Soldado went to Spurs because they met his buy out clause.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #312: Aug 08, 2013 09:52:10 pm
      A bit like Arsenal activated Suarez's maybe?  ;D

Ooooooh You are awful BB !
      But I Like You.

Like i was saying .  Costa has gone quiet.   Who leaked all the "activity" ?   
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #313: Aug 08, 2013 11:06:02 pm
      Ooooooh You are awful BB !
      But I Like You.

Like i was saying .  Costa has gone quiet.   Who leaked all the "activity" ?   

I'd say the club ie Ayre, I can remember that every national sports new site/ paper went with the story at the same time. Propaganda from the club is what it is
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #314: Aug 08, 2013 11:17:35 pm

The Telegraph article contains a bit more of the John Henry interview from this evening.

“There’s a saying in baseball about loyalty to the uniform. There’s a ­certain feeling you get when you put on a uniform as a baseball player and I’m certain it’s the same for most football players. When you put on the uniform it’s pretty special. I’d imagine for most footballers to put on the uniform of Liverpool Football Club is a big moment.”

Henry says Liverpool are still working on deals for new recruits – one of which is understood to be the £24million purchase of the Brazilian striker Diego Costa from Atlético Madrid – and finishing in the Premier League top four remains the ambition this season.

The Merseyside club’s global support was demonstrated during their recent tour of Australia and the Far East, but Henry insists it is essential that they consolidate on such enduring appeal with one-field success.

“This club can’t not be in the Champions League,” he said. “It needs to be playing in Europe. It needs to be playing in the Champions League. That’s what Liverpool Football Club is about.

“I have high expectations. We had a very good second half of last season and the reports from training and the feeling within the club among the players is good. I think we will ­surprise people this year. It will be disappointing if we don’t.

“The reality was there were 95,000 people watching us in Melbourne.

“It may well be romantic. Players usually want to win. They want to go, generally in any sport, where they can win. That’s why I think this particular episode is misguided.

“The message is that the club is heading in the right direction. This episode is not going to stop us. That’s what we are all focused on right now.”
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #315: Aug 09, 2013 01:52:01 am
      Liking what I'm hearing, now lets see action.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #316: Aug 09, 2013 02:29:42 am
      Bold men make bold statements. Now he has to back it up
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #317: Aug 09, 2013 09:47:53 am
      Bold men make bold statements. Now he has to back it up
      Do bald men make bald statements ?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #318: Aug 09, 2013 10:24:27 am
      “There’s a saying in baseball about loyalty to the uniform. There’s a ­certain feeling you get when you put on a uniform as a baseball player and I’m certain it’s the same for most football players. When you put on the uniform it’s pretty special. I’d imagine for most footballers to put on the uniform of Liverpool Football Club is a big moment.

Indeed John Henry, indeed and we Liverpool fans appreciate loyalty more than most. In an era where loyalty is often bought we've been lucky to have seen the likes of Pepe and Agger, for e.g., remain loyal to the "uniform". We Liverpool fans like that loyalty and respond to it - it's something money can't buy or so you would think...

Maybe I'm just in bad twist here but I'm finding it hard to take any lessons in loyalty from John Henry. Sorry.

Anyhows, back to Diego Costa... from what I can glean (reading/watching) he doesn't seem to fit the previous mould/"profile" of the type of striker we have signed. Then again; who really knows what the "profile" is?

I may be way off the mark here but if Luis is staying; if what John Henry said is true: I can't see the Club spending, in excess of £20m, on an additional striker. Remembering too that Brendan said we only had one top target [Mickthearmenian]. This 'transfer' just doesn't seem to 'add up' in my opinion.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #319: Aug 09, 2013 11:10:01 am
      Agree Mouse.

As much as I welcome the bold statement by JW last night it still doesn't disguise that it appears we were only going to sign this guy if Suarez left.

Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #320: Aug 09, 2013 11:52:11 am
      Agree Mouse.

As much as I welcome the bold statement by JW last night it still doesn't disguise that it appears we were only going to sign this guy if Suarez left.
      luckily u guys r wrong! Guess its all depend on athletico and costa
      Stewart Downing speaks to Liverpool Echo about
      Sturridge's return to fitness, competition for places
      and LFC's bid for Diego Costa : “Daniel has looked really sharp and it’s great to see
      him back training again,” Downing said. Whatever happens with Luis Suarez, he’s suspended for the first six matches anyway so Daniel is going to be very important for us. Hopefully he can get some minutes against Celtic and then be ready for the Stoke game. It’s a big plus for us to have him back fit before the start of the season.” “The gaffer brought him in at a good time. We
      needed an injection of goals and he provided that.
      He settled in very quickly and I think he really
      enjoyed playing every week after being on the
      fringes down at Chelsea. He’s got great ability, pace and strength. He causes defenders a lot of problems and if he carries on where he left off last season we’ll be delighted.” “At a club like Liverpool you need players competing for a shirt. I didn’t think we really had that last season as we were a bit short on numbers.
      But this season there is real competition, especially going forward, and hopefully that can help push us on a bit." “The manager said he wanted to sign players who would bring more goals to the group and both IagoAspas and Luis Alberto have done well so far. Then there’s Sturridge, Fabio Borini, Raheem Sterling,Jordon Ibe and myself. There’s also Luis and
      obviously the club have put a bid in for Diego Costa as well." “Of course people aren’t happy if they aren’t playing but having competition keeps everyone on their
      toes.”
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #321: Aug 09, 2013 12:04:30 pm
      I may be way off the mark here but if Luis is staying; if what John Henry said is true: I can't see the Club spending, in excess of £20m, on an additional striker. Remembering too that Brendan said we only had one top target [Mickthearmenian]. This 'transfer' just doesn't seem to 'add up' in my opinion.
      mate,

I agree mate, can't quite see us getting this lad if Luis stays.

Quick Reply