Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will we spank the mancs in the cup?

Yes?
      65 (62.5%)
      No?
      16 (15.4%)
      yes, in extra time?
      23 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Pre Match: Man Utd v Liverpool 25/9/13 7.45pm - League Cup R3

Read 17131 times
      MsGerrard
      Pre Match: Man Utd v Liverpool 25/9/13 7.45pm - League Cup R3
      Sep 22, 2013 11:10:32 pm

So here we go with a meeting between the big two North West Clubs - Manchester United V Liverpool in the League Cup third round.

After both clubs losing this weekend, Liverpool very poor at home to Southampton yesterday and Utd to a very good Manchester City today who hammered utd 4-1, both teams will be looking to bounce back and regain some oneupmanship over the other and come out on top.

Obviously the big news for us will be the return of Mr Luis Suarez, our talisman up front, after losing Coutinho and suffering with his loss yesterday, we really did miss his skills, so its come at the perfect time for Suarez to come back.

All eyes will be on him, the world's media will be waiting for him to make mistakes, I just hope he keeps his composure and let's his football do the talking.

After our last game against Notts County where we very nearly came unstuck, I'm sure we won't be taking this game quite so easily.

Can see this going to extra time but hopefully not penalties, my heart won't be able to stand it  :o But I'm going to stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 win to Liverpool.

My first visit to Old Trafford for a very long time, I'm sure the seven thousand and odd LFC fans will outsing the mancs quite easily.

Come on you mighty redmen, let's give them another spanking for the second time this season.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2013 10:52:45 am by JD »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Re: League Cup 3rd round Man Utd V Liverpool 25/9/13 7.45pm ko
      Reply #1: Sep 22, 2013 11:12:52 pm
      Suarez is back.

Moyes is sh*te.

Bring them on.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Sep 22, 2013 11:13:02 pm
      Information for anyone who is making the trip to Old Trafford on Wednesday from the 'Spirit of Shankly'

News

Dialogue with Greater Manchester Police

Friday 20 September 2013 at 11:58

Earlier this week a delegation from Spirit of Shankly met with Greater Manchester Police policing and stewarding of supporters at our forthcoming League Cup match at Old Trafford. We raised views that members had sent to us following our request last week.

The meeting was productive Chief Superintendent Mark Roberts of GMP's Trafford Division has sent us the following letter for us to circulate to members.

First of all can I thank you for taking the time to meet with me in advance of the game and for providing my update to the Liverpool supporters. In my experience situations can quickly escalate unnecessarily simply through misunderstandings on the part of the Police and supporters and so the more we can get a shared understanding beforehand of what the supporters want and how the police operation will run the better the chances of everything running smoothly. It is always one of the biggest fixtures in football but the game on Wednesday is one which will generate even more atmosphere than usual with Liverpool's start to the season and the larger allocation of tickets to away fans. If there are any particular queries from fans in the run up to the game I will do my best to answer them via Spirit of Shankly. For this game there is a dedicated team of officers led by a Sergeant (Ben), whose only job is to liaise and communicate with Liverpool supporters both before match day and as they arrive at the ground. This is for specific questions but also general advice on the day re what turnstiles to go to, ground regulations etc and to try and nip any issues in the bud.

Bars and Facilities  / Drinking away from the Ground; I have had a pre-meeting with Manchester United to deal with a variety of issues but here are some of the key things we have discussed; away supporters will be able to get a (alcoholic) drink in the ground. All drinks will be decanted ie no bottles or cans and be limited to 2 per person per round. This will also apply to home fans in the East Stand. Manchester United will be dressing the away end in Liverpool colours and playing Liverpool matches on the TV's in the away ends. The club are keen to make it a welcoming environment for visitors which reflects, I think, the general pattern of the last couple of games at both Anfield and Old Trafford. I was keen for supporters to get a drink in the ground because there is a restriction on drinking on the street in Trafford and Manchester which we do, and will, rigorously enforce. This isn't me being difficult but when I arrived at Trafford four years ago home fans congregated in large groups, particularly around Sir Matt Busby Way, drinking from bottles and cans and it was a hostile atmosphere not just for visitors, but for home fans with families making their way to the ground. Since we enforced the regulations it has marked a real improvement and a decrease in anti-social behaviour for local residents. We will also be doing checks on coaches arriving at the ground to make sure they have complied with the appropriate legislation. There are no pubs near to the ground which admit away supporters.

Flags and Banners; The general rule at Old Trafford is that flags and banners (no poles) are allowed as long as they are no more than 2 x 1.5 metres. At our pre-meeting with Spirit of Shankly we discussed the option to bring in bigger banners. United have agreed that some larger banners can be brought in by prior arrangement. The way this will work is that anyone wanting to bring a larger banner needs to let Spirit of Shankly know  so that they can give details to Ben, the liaison officer. We need to reassure United re what's on them, size etc. Ben will then meet the flag owners at a prearranged time / place so the flags/ banners can be taken into the ground just before / just after turnstiles open.

Flares and Smoke Bombs; As in all grounds these are not allowed; it is a criminal offence to try and bring them into the ground or let them off on the terraces. I am very clear that we will arrest, prosecute and seek banning orders against anyone committing such an offence. Supporters will be searched on entering the ground and we will be using dogs to identify pyrotechnics and drugs. There will be a secure bin at E2 (Visitors) car park where supporters can bin such items if they have brought them. I would encourage you not to bring such items - they are dangerous to those around them ie your own supporters and the courts have been handing out some fairly significant sentences to those convicted of these offences.

Trains; details of the train services are available from the operators but there will be a football special leaving Oxford Road at around 2315hrs - this can be held if there is extra time / penalties. There are other later trains but you should check the internet for them. At least we don't have to cater for Fergie Time this year.

Ticket Allocation; The number of tickets made available to the away fans was the subject of discussion. To be candid, the last time Liverpool played at Old Trafford in the FA Cup with the increased ticket allocation we had some real issues, particularly around damage to the toilets in the away end and with hundreds of seats being ripped up. My preference, supported by United was that we wanted to give genuine away supporters as many tickets as possible because it makes the atmosphere, whilst trying to minimise the risk of disorder and problems. To achieve this Liverpool have got the normal away section and East Stand Upper but the club have netted some seats to try and reduce the opportunity for confrontation with home fans, the opportunity to cause damage and throw missiles.This means that Liverpool will have a large away following - I would ask that in return people respect the facilities in the ground and concentrate on what should be a great spectacle. When you get to the ground I think it will be evident that United are making visitors welcome. A final note re tickets -  the Police have nothing to do with prices!

"Holdback" ; As a general rule I would rather not keep away fans in after the game- particularly at night when people have to get home. The balance is stopping disorder occurring when everyone tips out of the ground together. With the Manchester derby I changed things last year so the away fans could leave at the final whistle or remain in the stadium but it was there choice. It was helped by the away team winning so the majority of visitors stayed in, but there were isolated incidents of assaults. It is a balancing act and events in the game, late goals, the score, decisions, player behaviour are all unpredictable factors that can shift the mood and my decision mid match. With such a large following it is a distinct possibility that I will keep the away fans in, but if I do I will attempt to minimise the delay and officers and stewards will be briefed to allow people access to the toilets as necessary.

Finally, can I wish you good luck for the competition and season; I hope those of you visiting Old Trafford for the game have a great experience and if you do have any issues to raise please feel free to let me know via Spirit of Shankly and I will do my best to reply.

Mark Roberts
          Chief Superintendent
          GMP
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #3: Sep 22, 2013 11:30:30 pm
      Welcome back Luis Suarez! I'm hoping he rips them all a new one. Reckon we can win this one too.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,942 posts | 286 
      Reply #4: Sep 22, 2013 11:32:32 pm
      The best thing about this game, is that if we hit them while their down, I cant see them getting up again this season.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Sep 22, 2013 11:38:01 pm
      The best thing about this game, is that if we hit them while their down, I cant see them getting up again this season.

Now that would be good  >:D

Poll Added
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #6: Sep 22, 2013 11:46:52 pm
      Hope we also see some more of this. Excited! (Plus it's my birthday on Wednesday so a win would be great!)

Luis Suarez amazing skills vs Manchester United
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Sep 22, 2013 11:50:45 pm
      ^^^ I remember that so well  :) a bit more of that would do very nicely thankyou very much  :laugh:

Have a plus for your birthday IO and the video  ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #8: Sep 23, 2013 12:14:57 am
      Given the players we have, we're an attacking team. We need to expose United in the same manner City did; that is, playing it quickly down the wings whilst offering strength through the centre. Don't ever underestimate wing play.

Mignolet
      Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique
               Lucas   Gerrard
                    Alberto
       Sterling   Suarez   Moses

Suarez needs to be the main man in this team. He's by a country mile our BEST player above Coutinho and Sturridge put together. We need to help get his hunger back, but moreover ensure he starts putting the ball in the net to regain any confidence he may have lost. I also think Sturridge is lacking in fitness so could be wise to see him feature in the 2nd half only with the game possibly going into extra time if all remains level.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Sep 23, 2013 12:18:45 am
      Usually not one for kicking someone, when they are down, but I'll make an exception for Moyes and United. :)
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #10: Sep 23, 2013 12:22:13 am
      This is our strongest team, no doubt about it.

Skrtel and Hendo cannot be dropped, they've been consistent since the start of the season. Also, I'd play Moses ahead of Sterling.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #11: Sep 23, 2013 12:58:57 am
      As much as my heart desires, I just cant see us recoverng from the debacle against the saints quick enough. Utd were poor against city, but city are a different proposition to saints with the quality of players they have. They havent been as poor as us, and I have a strange feeling brendan will start with the same 11. Just to show who's in control. I think Louis will start on the bench, and by the time he gets on, it will be too late.
      I'm really concerned that brendan doesn't really know what to do for the best now, and it will be a bit of hit and hope.
       Praying we'll get a win here, and don't really care how we do it, as long as we improve dramatically in he prem next weekend. Not going to predict a score for the first time ever, in case I put the kiss of death on it.
      Not feeling too confident in our manager and his selections or tactics at the moment.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #12: Sep 23, 2013 08:05:31 am
      I would go with a full strength team as we can't afford to lose two in a row.

Mignolet
      Hendo  Skrtel  Sakho  Enrique
                 Gerrard  Lucas
      Sterling     Suarez    Moses
                     Sturridge
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Sep 23, 2013 08:43:31 am
      Usually not one for kicking someone, when they are down, but I'll make an exception for Moyes and United. :)
      I will second that,we really need to put the boot in and Suarez to give Evra a football lesson.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #14: Sep 23, 2013 10:06:45 am
      Both teams need a win. We have an extra 24 hrs rest , and Gollum WILL be tempted to rotate his squad and play some of the kids

Will happily take a 1-0 smash and grab win here, and move on to the league game against Sunderland who may have a new manager by then
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Sep 23, 2013 10:11:00 am
      Both teams need a win. We have an extra 24 hrs rest , and Gollum WILL be tempted to rotate his squad and play some of the kids

Will happily take a 1-0 smash and grab win here, and move on to the league game against Sunderland who may have a new manager by then

I think we should rotate some players.
      Either Lucas or Gerrard for a start.
      Maybe Sturridge too.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,529 posts | 3466 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #16: Sep 23, 2013 10:30:39 am
      I think we should rotate some players.
      Either Lucas or Gerrard for a start.
      Maybe Sturridge too.
      and play who in their place ? the problem is that the chickens are coming home to roost and the squad is wafer thin when everyone is fit.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #17: Sep 23, 2013 10:38:01 am
      0-2 LFC win against the new whipping boys of England :D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: Pre Match: Man Utd v Liverpool 25/9/13 7.45pm - League Cup R3
      Reply #18: Sep 23, 2013 03:30:39 pm
      I would go with a full strength team as we can't afford to lose two in a row.

Mignolet
      Hendo  Skrtel  Sakho  Enrique
                 Gerrard  Lucas
      Sterling     Suarez    Moses
                     Sturridge

Think this will be the team but with Toure at RB and Hendo RW.
      bmcg
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 23, 2013 03:33:50 pm
      this on the box ?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #20: Sep 23, 2013 03:35:56 pm

Yes, live on sky.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #21: Sep 23, 2013 03:55:07 pm
      I can see a player or two being sat out for this one but I think we will go in with a strong line-up, be nice to kick it again to Manure while they are down after getting destroyed by Citeh

----------------Mignolet-----------------
      Kelly-----Kolo-------Sakho----Enrique
      -----------Lucas-----Hendo------------
      Sterling--------Alberto--------Moses
      -----------------Suarez----------------
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Sep 23, 2013 04:18:21 pm
      and play who in their place ? the problem is that the chickens are coming home to roost and the squad is wafer thin when everyone is fit.

Hardly taxing to imagine two or three players to replace Lucas/Gerrard and Sturridge.
      Henderson centrally, with either Lucas or Gerrard.
      Alberto ahead of them.
      Suarez instead of Sturridge.

QED

Quick Reply