Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your man of the match.

Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Skrtel
      2 (1.6%)
      Sakho
      14 (11.3%)
      Touré
      2 (1.6%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      31 (25%)
      Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      2 (1.6%)
      Suárez
      46 (37.1%)
      Moses
      1 (0.8%)
      Sturridge
      24 (19.4%)
      Agger (Sub)
      0 (0%)
      Luis Alberto (Sub)
      0 (0%)
      Iago Aspas (Sub)
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Liverpool 3:1 Crystal Palace: In game and post match glee.

Read 20681 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Live: Liverpool vs Crystal Palace
      Reply #184: Oct 05, 2013 05:11:10 pm
      Toure - Mr consistent, did what he had to do, never flustered, never looked in trouble, love him.

Exactly, he makes everything look easy, almost effortless. What an inspired signing that was.
      His experience has been extremely valuable. One of our best players this season so far.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #185: Oct 05, 2013 05:12:45 pm
      We need to invent the expression side to side central midfielder for him.

:D That's a good one!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #186: Oct 05, 2013 05:16:34 pm
      Finally a special mention for Aspas who managed to get a yellow in a 7mn appearance saying something to the referee, while he barely touched a ball.

I thought it was obvious he thought it was full-time and that's why he kicked it, think the ref could have been lenient on that and I can't stand such by the book stuff. That's no doubt what he was saying to the ref.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4593 
      Reply #187: Oct 05, 2013 05:18:30 pm
      Can overlook the performance after taking top spot in the league with another win.

Well done.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #188: Oct 05, 2013 05:21:19 pm
      Very bright going forward in the first half some of the link play was a joy to watch. Palace looked dangerous though once the second goal went in and showed up for me how better teams will pull this new formation to bits in our full back positions.
      The 3rd goal killed the game for me as Palace went into damage limitation mode and once the second half started we helped there case by playing in second gear, which ultimately lead to Palace getting a consolation.

Expected more from Sterling in an attacking sense, it's hard to slate him defensively as he's been asked to do a 'foreign job' but offensively really needs to up his game, honestly feel for Ibe as when Raheem's come in he hasn't done enough for me, to be to nailed on first choice replacement which BR seems to have him down as.

Moses was wasteful for me, not one of his better games. Apart from that was happy with the rest of the starting 11, hard to judge any of the subs due to us playing at a lower level when they came on.

People who are slating the second half, for me it wasn't really like some of our second half performances this season which have seen us play poor and manage to hold on to a tight lead. At the end of the day we went in 3 up and it was a case of controlling the game, as much as I thought Palace were there for the taking it's not often a team comes out and goes for it in the second half with such a goal cushion.

Big positives in Suarez and Sturridge we have the best forward partnership in the league.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE LADS!!!!!!!!
      5 wins and a draw from 7 I'll take that every day, YNWA.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,628 posts | 7146 
      Reply #189: Oct 05, 2013 05:21:30 pm
      As you say Walton tick it off another win back on top happy days lets move on . We are not at our best yet , but we are top and yet its surprising how many dont sound too happy , as the song goes , i dont care how you get here ,just get here if you can, we would have taken this start at the beginning of the season and thats a facccct .
      16 points out of 21 and we only play half a game so imagine what we will do when we play for 90 mins.Dont look for negatives after a win especially when it puts us top of the league just say well done Brendan and the lads.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,496 posts | 232 
      Re: Liverpool 3:1 Crystal Palace: In game and post match glee.
      Reply #190: Oct 05, 2013 05:26:04 pm
      This 3-5-2 is winning me over, though still not sure if its a long term thing. Occasionally we are all at sea once the opposition get behind the 2 central midfielders. Gerrard and Lucas/Henderson need to play deeper or Moses needs to track back more.

Johnson and Coutinho will be perfect in the right wing back and attacking midfielder spots. Possibly Cisshoko ahead of Enrique as well.
      All well and good though, we are top and winning ugly sometimes.  ;D

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #191: Oct 05, 2013 05:29:04 pm
      I thought it was obvious he thought it was full-time and that's why he kicked it, think the ref could have been lenient on that and I can't stand such by the book stuff. That's no doubt what he was saying to the ref.

Oh I hadn't even imagined the yellow was for gaining time, but right it may be just that and then Aspas trying to explain himself (giving a yellow for time gain at 3-1 with less than 1 minute to go looked so absurd I thought the reason was something he said).
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #192: Oct 05, 2013 05:30:20 pm
      Poll added:

Knock yourselves out.

3 requests:

1, Enjoy the win.
      2, Enjoy the fact we are top, for 24 hours at least.
      3, No fighting.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #193: Oct 05, 2013 05:32:23 pm
      I thought we were really good first half, understandably dropped off in the second (3-0 up already), and then kicked on again after they scored. Good result.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,403 posts | 191 
      Reply #194: Oct 05, 2013 05:35:20 pm
      can it get better  , 

Sunderland 1-0     :laughing-smiley-014:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #195: Oct 05, 2013 05:36:00 pm
      can it get better  , 

Sunderland 1-0     :laughing-smiley-014:

F**k Off is it? :lmao:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #196: Oct 05, 2013 05:46:35 pm
      Just back from the game. Great domination in the first half. Went off the pace in the second but I think we had the game won in the first half to be honest.

It's a different kettle of fish when you haven't got the goal cushion.

Top of the league. A goal each from the strikers and one from midfield. That will do me.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #197: Oct 05, 2013 05:46:48 pm
      Ill take winning and going top knowing we can step it up big time all day long

We were 3 up at half time from there a team either kicks on and wins 6 or the mindset relaxes and the game flattens out so no surprise in that.

Our back 4 as individuals are solid but I think as a unit they're crying out to be destroyed. The amount of times they were not in a line thus playing Palace on side was scary, a good side will punish that. At the other end it has to be said we wont see this too many times this season "Liverpool 0" they are lively, in tune, creative and lethal.. If we can keep it tidy at  the back and add a bit more quality to the midfield in January I have a gut feeling we will be in the mix.

Finally how good it was to see Kenny there today back home. Our fans were once again missing today getting worse if anything. And fair play to Holloway joining in YNWA. His respect for the club is obvious

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #198: Oct 05, 2013 05:50:28 pm
      3 points,3points,3points keep them coming REDMEN.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,220 posts | 841 
      Reply #199: Oct 05, 2013 05:55:43 pm
      Seeing so much overreaction regarding Henderson's performance on twitter. Many seeing him like the "solution" to our "problem" - that is, replace Lucas with him, he's more mobile, etc, etc.

Yeah he's more mobile than pretty much the whole team and he did play well tonight, anticipated or blocked many passes, but seriously, was that a great performance? Even my girlfriend watching the game (I guarantee she doesn't know much about football :D) was complaining about Hendo not passing the ball forward. If it wasn't for Gerrard, we would struggle to even leave our own half.

Positionally we were quite open, even in the 1st half before we scored, they were exploiting the spaces in our midfield and on the wings - thankfully their attack is freakin poor, absolutely harmless. So was their midfield as well.

Hendo had a good game and he deserves to be playing at the moment, but I've seen too many people making conclusions based on a performance that wasn't even that good, against a very, very poor side.

Anyway. Lucas will be back for the next game and rightly so, IMO.

Thank god for some sense, I thought Henderson was nothing special today, ran a lot without contributing anything to our play, his midfield partner Gerrard did contribute a lot! I think lots of us pin it down to his (Henderson) hard work and running, but football is more than that!
      AW00D
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #200: Oct 05, 2013 06:16:34 pm
      Sakho is a monster and I think our attack will be even more fluid with Johnson back, he always adds that extra bit.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #201: Oct 05, 2013 06:18:25 pm

Exactly my reaction, oh my word if they lose there while we're on top of the league will make it all the sweeter, hahahaha!! Perfect.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #202: Oct 05, 2013 06:38:20 pm
      Only had a few updates as the game went on. Glad of the 3 points, shame about the clean sheet, and see the second half nightmare continues. Still not at full strength so to be top is immense. Will still be in top 3 tomorrow whatever happens elsewhere. All in all a good start to the season, playing well in spells, but room for improvement which will come when injured players return.
      Will see what i can conclude from mod and vote motm after that. 
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #203: Oct 05, 2013 07:10:04 pm
      Just think there`s so much more to come from the lads ,a bit more time together injures sorted and us back to full strength in a month or so we should really kick on.

The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #204: Oct 05, 2013 07:18:19 pm
      I think if you had a checklist of things to happen then they would likely have contained: Suarez scoring, Sturridge scoring, us scoring the majority/all of our goals in the first half, us conceding from a set piece.

Check. Check. Check. Check.

Firstly, credit to Holloway and Palace for being brave and attempting to take the game to us. Naive from them at the same time, however, because it opened the game up and allowed Suarez, Sturridge and Moses in particular to run riot in space aplenty that first period. We played some scintillating stuff in that opening 45, at the forefront of which was the aforementioned trio. Suarez' strike so typical of the lad; he's not a great pure footballer but my God he is great at improvising, one of the best there is. Scored while on his arse haha. Lovely feet and finish from Sturridge for his. Gerrard cool as a cucumber from the spot.

Obviously second half we went down a couple of gears and at times were complacent. Was a silly foul to commit by Sterling, not for the first time this season and it was even worse marking from the free kick for their goal. Mignolet looked gutted not to collect a clean sheet. Thankfully we turned our minds on again to see out the rest of the game.

Mignolet didn't have much to do, but made that great save when Palace enjoyed a good five minute spell at 2-0. Back three were all solid again. Henderson, didn't do a great deal positive on the ball but man of the match for me because he was one of our only players not to turn off second half; he made some good interceptions and kept us ticking. Gerrard good. Enrique pretty bad. Sterling wasn't too good defensively but offered an outlet constantly in attack and, in fairness, I don't want to criticise him because he played a role he's alien to and tried his best. Doubt we'll see him there again. Moses did well, should have scored. Suarez and Sturridge both very good in the first half, only had one great moment in the second (Suarez' pull back for Sturridge to hit the post) but that's cool, as I doubt either are 100% fit right now. Subs, Alberto did okay, as did Agger, but Aspas was just stupid to kick the ball away and he seems likely a very confrontational player who argues for the sake of it.

I just want to say that, with all due respect to Palace, today was without doubt the best game for Lucas to miss as a result of his suspension. There was a gap between our midfield and defence at times first-half without him but fortunately Palace lack much in the way of clinical attackers and so failed to take advantage. Will be vital to have him back. Midfield three of Gerrard-Lucas-Henderson, with Moses-Sturridge-Suarez ahead of them, could be the way forward until Coutinho is back.

Win's a win - even if it wasn't as handsome as we would have liked at half time - and we're top of the league for 24 hours. Happy days.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #205: Oct 05, 2013 08:02:32 pm
      As soon as Coutinho comes back we'll get the 2nd half of our game going .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #206: Oct 05, 2013 08:06:02 pm
      I'm delighted we won but once again I find myself disapointed with the performance. Palace had a few good 1st half chances but it was brilliant to be going in 3-0 up but once again we got out played in the 2nd half and let in a sloppy goal to make it 5 games without a clean sheet! We once again sat back and looked for the counter attack because we were leading at half time. I was hoping to see us come out and look to make it 5 or 6-0 but knew it wasn't going to happen! I don't understand why Sakho came off and I don't understand why Sterling stayed on because I thought he really struggled after the break!

However, we got the 3 points and our strike force got another goal each, all that matters! Let's hope Spurs, Arsenal and the Chavs all drop points now!

Quick Reply