Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pre-match thread: Arsenal vs Liverpool 2nd November 17:30

Read 17891 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Pre-match thread: Arsenal vs Liverpool 2nd November 17:30
      Reply #23: Oct 29, 2013 10:19:39 pm
      With Luis and Daniel on form, we can beat anyone :)
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #24: Oct 30, 2013 12:04:15 am
      Is Enrique fit? He's the only change I'd make for Cissokho, bring on Coutinho if need be...I don't like 3-5-2 but I wouldn't change it for such a big game. Plus we won convincingly in the last game and also it's games like these where 3-5-2 actually makes sense to use. Good counter attacking formation, hit them on the break exactly how Dortmund did, they're sh*t at the back and have conceded in every league game excluding the last Prem game (I think - or close enough). Our 3 CBs and 2 WBs + Lucas should handle their front 4 of Santi, Ramsey, Ozil and Giroud. Our front 2 should cause havoc with their current form, need both Danny and Luis to perform. I think there will be goals, just need to make sure we score more than them.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #25: Oct 30, 2013 12:48:23 am
      So weird this. I wasn't very confident we would get anything from west brom, but hoped for a draw. Then we go and slaughter them. Hitting a good vein of form at the right time. Now the Arse, I feel we will win, and although it's gonna be a fast explosive game, as always against these, I'm so confident of a win, I don't feel uneasy about the game at all.
       Think we should start pretty much the same as last week end, with maybe swapping Ali for Enrique, but am convinced Henderson should start for his energy and mobility. If he can help shut off Arsenals service from the middle, and play the simple pass to keep possession, we can then counter, and I don't see many teams keeping a clean sheet against SaS now they're on form, and getting a better service from all angles. Coutinho, if fit, should be introduced later on, just to finish the arse back 4 execution. 3 - 1 the red men. Convincing win with late arse consolation. Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #26: Oct 30, 2013 01:37:43 am
      I never really go on past form, because I'm sceptical incase Arsenal give us a hammering, but I think we've caught them at the right moment. Losing to Dortmund, winning very unimpressively against Palace and losing to Chelsea tonight gives us good reason to have a go.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27: Oct 30, 2013 04:02:31 am
      Beware of the "banana skin", when we have high hope, the fall is heavy.

Still think we will win though.

Go reds go, beat them and go top!

:aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0: :clap:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #28: Oct 30, 2013 08:08:04 am
       I think the time has come when we have to believe we can beat any team and come away with 3 points.Right or wrong I view every match as winnable and believe the 3 points are there for the taking.Do us proud lads and set the pace for the rest of the season. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #29: Oct 30, 2013 08:13:52 am
      will happily take a 2-1 on this one. Goal apiece for the S&S

Interesting to note that in a combined availabilty of 13 games (9 Sturridge, 4 Suarez) they have scored 14 goals.

Less noteworthy is that outside of them, we have only scored 3
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #30: Oct 30, 2013 08:32:06 am
      What's the story with Enrique?  if he's fit he needs to be put right back into the side.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Oct 30, 2013 08:42:37 am
      Less noteworthy is that outside of them, we have only scored 3

And 2 of those were penalties, with just the one goal from open play by Moses. While I am delighted at the scoring exploits of Sturridge and Suarez, we really need others to start contributing goals if we are to challenge this season.   
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #32: Oct 30, 2013 08:57:20 am
      I always hate facing this lot. On their day they can rip any team apart. I actually fear playing them more than I do the Mancs. With the Mancs you always get the feeling they will pull out something jammy. With Arsenal, it's their type of play that is on the most, apart from when the play us, very attractive Football.
      Will be amazed if this a 0-0 draw. I'm hoping our mids and backline stick strong togehter and watch all the trickyness that their players can dish out. Do that and I have no problems with our strikeforce putting a few past them. Last season at the Emirates we were winning comfortably 2-0 and then all of a sudden imploded to cost ourselves 2 points. This season, let's get that early advantage again and this time, no lapses in concentration, defend for our lives and get another 1 or 2 on the counter.
      Come on You Reds...take us back to the summit.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #33: Oct 30, 2013 09:03:52 am
      What's the story with Enrique?  if he's fit he needs to be put right back into the side.
      Not sure think he had a knock in training on his ankle but not 100% on that
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Oct 30, 2013 09:11:56 am
      Not sure think he had a knock in training on his ankle but not 100% on that

Had an operation on his knee, seem to recall he had problems with his knee this time last season as well. 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #35: Oct 30, 2013 09:17:31 am
      Had an operation on his knee, seem to recall he had problems with his knee this time last season as well.

He had an operation?  wow, that's not good news... early days still of course but Cissokho hasn't really been too impressive when he's played.  Would have been better to have a steady hand in Enrique against Arsenal but it's not worth bringing him back too early if he's not ready.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #36: Oct 30, 2013 09:42:41 am
      He had an operation?  wow, that's not good news... early days still of course but Cissokho hasn't really been too impressive when he's played.  Would have been better to have a steady hand in Enrique against Arsenal but it's not worth bringing him back too early if he's not ready.
      Ohh dear thats not good we might be back to square one in the LWB role with no competition again. Well fingers crossed he's ok and we get some news soon. Still think its a LFC win as they leave too much space at the back with SAS on fire they will expose that.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #37: Oct 30, 2013 09:46:01 am
      I'm going, and I've yet to see us win at The Emirates. I seem to recall a late Kuyt equaliser a few seasons back, which was nice, but generally it's been a terrible ground for us.

Oh, and a great strike from Insua in a League cup game. I think. Think we lost that though.

As for team and formation, well, I'm not a huge fan of three CBs - and we haven't looked like keeping a clean sheet when playing that formation - but if Rodgers thinks it is working, I don't see why he wouldn't continue with the same side. Certainly Skrtel has been playing exceptionally well and should keep his place, so the only question is Agger coming back in. I've been very nervous watching Cissokho and Sakho this season.

The energy of Henderson is going to be vital but, as usual, the onus will be on our best players to create the goals; Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge. If all three play well, we should be able to get a result.

A win would be an incredible statement about our capabilities, which is why I don't think we will. When it comes to these big games against the best opposition, all too often we fail the test. It is only worth three points, like any game, but it will be a very big statement about both sides' realistic ambitions for the season.

I know one thing: Arsenal will be rightly terrified about facing SAS and Gerrard in such devastating form.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #38: Oct 30, 2013 10:22:41 am
      A game against the team with the world's most smug fans, same again for me as it looks like Couthinho won't be ready.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #39: Oct 30, 2013 10:37:43 am
      This could be a real shot for us here as all season Arsenal have held a very high defensive line and like us have not really been tested apart from in the league cup. We have the deadliest strike duo around at the moment and think them two can expose all that extra space and I think if we go up early on they might panic and push furhter forward leaving them exposed again. There back two are slow and all of their midfielders are not defensive at all, yes all of their mid players are quality footballers and have hughe attacking aspects but lack that ability to do the dirty work and track back leaving them exposed. If we win they have to then travel away to Dortmund then to the scum so coud be on a bit of a losing streak giving us the chance to take top spot once again.
      COME ON YOU REDMEN. I'm going to this one thanks to Tickets for Troops so will be there might even take a dump and not flush!!
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2013 10:44:56 am by ajayi82 »
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #40: Oct 30, 2013 11:04:19 am
      I think we will most likely start unchanged at Arsenal, but I would prefer that we lose the 3 CB's and gain the extra midfielder for this one especially if Coutinho is fit.... and probably for most games after this one.

Mignolet

Johnson              Toure            Agger             Enrique

Henderson/Allen        Gerrard         Lucas

Coutinho/Henderson

Sturridge    Suarez

Obviously if Coutinho is not fit to start I would bring Allen in and move Henderson to the more advanced role.

More chance of me winning the lottery than Brendan picking this team or formation..... I think we will go unchanged and win 2-1

Same except if Coutinho isn't fit I'd rather start with Gerrard in the more advanced role. If he eventually no longer have the legs to play 10 every game, he's always performing better against good opposition, and (if Brendan don't forget to read him some extracts of Fergie last book before the game ;) ) is likely to have more impact there if there is already Allen to distribute the ball from behind.

While I'm not as critical of him as some here, I think Henderson best role is covering for more creative players (or whoever isn't in position), not trying to involve himself in attack.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #41: Oct 30, 2013 11:14:50 am
      Same except if Coutinho isn't fit I'd rather start with Gerrard in the more advanced role. If he eventually no longer have the legs to play 10 every game, he's always performing better against good opposition, and (if Brendan don't forget to read him some extracts of Fergie last book before the game ;) ) is likely to have more impact there if there is already Allen to distribute the ball from behind.

While I'm not as critical of him as some here, I think Henderson best role is covering for more creative players (or whoever isn't in position), not trying to involve himself in attack.
      like the formation but not sure BR will drop his 18mil CB Sakho even though he's still got a lot to learn, but a good line up and prefare that formation.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #42: Oct 30, 2013 11:15:04 am
      Chelsea beat them with power in central midfield I think we will have a good day.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #43: Oct 30, 2013 11:20:41 am
      Chelsea beat them with power in central midfield I think we will have a good day.
      Reckon we will be all over them from the start which will catch them off guard as there expecting us to sit and pass it about slowly. They leave huge gaps behind their midfield as there all attacking players none of them like or do there defensive duties so thik we might suprise some people and win this 2-0
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #44: Oct 30, 2013 11:41:41 am
      I'm going, and I've yet to see us win at The Emirates. I seem to recall a late Kuyt equaliser a few seasons back, which was nice, but generally it's been a terrible ground for us.

We won under Kenny, apart from that a lot of 2-2 draws and loses. By right we should have won there last season, but didn't.

Our toughest test this season, and will be for a while. Win this and we're on cloud 9. TBH I'd take a draw right now, straightaway. As defeatist as it sounds, 1 point away to Arsenal is a good result given where we/they are in the league.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #45: Oct 30, 2013 12:13:07 pm
      First post here: http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=323722 depicts what they think they'll play, looks pretty strong that midfield.

Quick Reply