Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pre-match thread: Arsenal vs Liverpool 2nd November 17:30

Read 17893 times
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Pre-match thread: Arsenal vs Liverpool 2nd November 17:30
      Oct 29, 2013 11:03:06 am
      After the weekend breeze past a West Brom side that managed 3 points at the Toilet and a well-earned draw against Arsenal, next up, Arsenalā€¦.

In many ways our seasons have echoed each other quite well.  A home loss when the home side where confident against so called lesser teams, and dropping points when the game was there for the taking.

ā€œLack of top opposition faced so farā€ is also another one to shoot us down over both of our current positions.  Many say our only real ā€œtestā€ was United at home, while Arsenals was Spurs. 

Both LFC and AFC made easy work of beating their rivals on the day.

The table at the moment has shades of 1972 & 1989 about it.  Arsenal, and us right up there.  Itā€™s a nice change but (dependant on the Chavs early kick off against Newcastle) come Saturday 17:30 we have the chance to top the league (this time for a week)

It wonā€™t be easy though, while we are playing great football, Arsenal can match it. 

Our strike force might be getting all of the press, but it still hasnā€™t made me oblivious to the fact that Arsenal have quite easily stuck 2 or 3 goals past opposition with little effort, and quite recently, amazing team play.

Saturday might see the return of little Coutinho, bringing our midfield back to full strength.  Itā€™s a needed welcome as I think if heā€™s on his game heā€™ll run the show.

We cannot ignore that Ramsey, Ozil and Giroud have managed to find the form of a lifetime coming into this match, and we still look suspect on set pieces.

That said, I really fancy us for this.  We seem to be coming into form at the right time, we have a nice week free of travel and mid-week matches.  A week where BR can really put time into his game plan.  Arsenal face Chelsea tonight, itā€™s only the League Cup, but itā€™s still a distraction.

I would go unchanged from WBAā€¦

Mignolet, Cissokho, Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge, Suarez

Henderson worked his socks off so I would keep him in and, depending on the match, bring on Coutinho around the 60 minute mark.

1-3 to the Redmen

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2013 09:55:08 am by JD »
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Re: Pre-match thread: Arsenal vs Liverpool 2nd November 17:30
      Reply #1: Oct 29, 2013 11:32:33 am
      Our biggest game of the season soo far, think this should show we were are actually at as a team. Just heard that Arteta's suspension will only be 1 game which means he'll serve that for Chelsea tonight so he will be back to face us on Saturday. Flamini is meant to be ruled out and from what Ive seen and heard of him soo far this season he has been detrimental to their control of games and they may miss him.

Anyway I liked the control we had against west brom on Saturday and although it may not be as easy to replicate I would stick with a similar system, Lucas Gerrard and Henderson looked very strong infront of the defence and for me personally I would stick with the same team, maybe apart from bringing Enrique in for Cissokho if hes fit.

If things don't work out and were failing to create enough chances then time for Coutinho and/or Moses.

Hoping for a big performance from the lads that could potentially put us top of the league for the week, although I would probably take a draw away from home I would go all out for the win, I think a win would be absolutely huge for us, especially going into the next few games.

Head says 2-2, heart says 2-1 us.

COME ON REDMEN!
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 29, 2013 12:09:04 pm
      I hope we get a result but it will be tricky. Their defence is underrated and we will have to be at our best to open it up. Glad flamini is not playing. I think that they will go with wilshere and arteta behind Ozil with Cazorla and Ramsey on the flanks. This means they ll lack width which is good. I don't want Gnabri facing cissokho. We need to defend well. Skrtel will start but would rather agger in a game like this as we need to keep posession.
      Henderson played well at the emirates last year and has to start. Coutinho can come on if we're behind. Would love a 2;2 but we might lose. Providing they don't win at old trafford we won't drift behind too badly. It will take a great performance from the lads particularly the lucas/gerard combo to win this.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #3: Oct 29, 2013 12:34:31 pm
      I hope we get a result but it will be tricky. Their defence is underrated and we will have to be at our best to open it up. Glad flamini is not playing. I think that they will go with wilshere and arteta behind Ozil with Cazorla and Ramsey on the flanks. This means they ll lack width which is good. I don't want Gnabri facing cissokho. We need to defend well. Skrtel will start but would rather agger in a game like this as we need to keep posession.
      Henderson played well at the emirates last year and has to start. Coutinho can come on if we're behind. Would love a 2;2 but we might lose. Providing they don't win at old trafford we won't drift behind too badly. It will take a great performance from the lads particularly the lucas/gerard combo to win this.

Arteta is banned so they will have to play Wilshire and Ramsey in the middle. Both players like to attack so hopefully that will expose gaps in front of their back 4 that we can exploit. It's actually an ideal game for Coutinho in this scenario as he will get space and time in the hole to pick out accurate passes through to SaS.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Oct 29, 2013 12:41:35 pm
      Wenger's said he's going to play a mixture against Chelsea tonight. Players who haven't had as much game time, and younger one's. He, I reckon is going to rest key players.  :(

W@nker, I'd advise him not to of course, and would remind him that he hasn't won a piece of tin for God knows how long. But there you go, he obviously has one eye on Saturday.

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #5: Oct 29, 2013 03:26:32 pm
      Toughest test so far

But the big question is - can Brendan finally break the hoo-doo of beating a team above us in the league ?
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #6: Oct 29, 2013 03:36:36 pm
      Agree with many this is a big game. We have done well against Arsenal - and everytime I think of this game it remindes me of Kenny giving it to Wenger, brilliant.

Now, this will be no cake walk - after the West Brom game I was a little bullish about this, but now the beer has gone and the cold light of day is upon us its clear that it will be a tough game. Arsenal have Chelsea tonight so will no doubt rest a few and play a few second team players with a few younger ones. I would however expect Varmallen, Wilkshire, Mertesaker to all feature and this could be a gamble. We only know too well this risk... They then face us on Saturday with a trip to Dortmund followed by Utd on Sunday - lose all 3 and their season could look to be off the rails. Lose 4 on the bounce and it will be back to the negativity they faced after losing to Villa...!

Personally I hope we can pile it onto them. Their Champs League group sees 3 teams on equal points so this will be the big priority so even against us I doubt it will be a full strength Arsenal team. We may not even see Ozil start - or Ramsey, Wilkshire or Giroud. This will not be their priority and the arrogrance of Wenger will allow him to take a hit against us and expect 4th to be there for them to take at the end of the season.

However, this win depends upon us and how we perform. We cannot rely on any favours this season and we will not get any - especially from these guys! We have our best 11 avaliable if Couthino is fit - our top 2 are on fine form and defence in my opinion looks ok (joint 4th for fewest coals conceded in the prem).

Never an easy game, I would think a point is a good result. But will hope and hold out for all 3..! I beleive we can win this, but once bitten twice shy...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Oct 29, 2013 03:50:09 pm
      Wengers' got a bit of a conundrum to deal with.  He's said he's going to change things up tonight, maybe rest some key players for our game or is it to rest them for Dortmund next week.  Unlike us they're still fighting on 3 fronts and although the CoC has never been a priority for him the CL most definitely is.

It's never been an easy game against Arsenal and this one will be no different but I believe we can win this.  They're at home, have never been a team to park the bus so if they try to play their usual game of all out attack we'll have them.

I've gone for a 2-3 Reds win in the prediction league and I'm due a perfect score  ;D

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #8: Oct 29, 2013 03:50:58 pm
      Forget Arsenal lets smash em, first 10 min Get lucas to smash Ozil and put him back in his box. Then someone offer Wiltshire a ciggy and smash him. Sakho knows the big frenchman from his national side so he will keep him in check. there keeper is dodgy as hell and hates one on ones so the SAS will pull a Iranian Embassy mission on his ass and bang in a goal each. I'm going 2-0 livepool because they play such a high line and are exposed at the back, if we can keep there midfield in check we will be sorted.  :f_steam:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Oct 29, 2013 04:00:51 pm
      I think we will most likely start unchanged at Arsenal, but I would prefer that we lose the 3 CB's and gain the extra midfielder for this one especially if Coutinho is fit.... and probably for most games after this one.

Mignolet

Johnson              Toure            Agger             Enrique

Henderson/Allen        Gerrard         Lucas

Coutinho/Henderson

Sturridge    Suarez

Obviously if Coutinho is not fit to start I would bring Allen in and move Henderson to the more advanced role.

More chance of me winning the lottery than Brendan picking this team or formation..... I think we will go unchanged and win 2-1
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Oct 29, 2013 06:18:45 pm
      There pace is there main threat. The best way to counter that is for us to put them on the backfoot as much as possible.
      Go at them from the off. Our front 2 press and press and press any man with the ball in the Arsenal half. Pressure them so they cant pick passes that they like to play. And when we win the ball back our full backs are pushed on and our midfield is pushed on leave Lucas to hold, hell have 3 defenders behind him.

They are a very good side but Dortmund showed how to play them, keep the ball pass it around them.. Big games needed from Johnson and Cissokho

Same 11 and formation as Saturday hopefully then when we have the game opened out we could spring Moses and maybe Coutinho.

3 points are there for the taking. Id be ok with a point.  Lets fooking step it up here and show were fooking serious and that we truly believe we can beat the best sides
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: Oct 29, 2013 06:40:40 pm
      Same team as Saturday, even if Coutinho is fit it's to big a game for us to expect him to be 100% on the ball and another knock could set him back months,
      Ease him back gently and let him build his confidence up,

So Wenger says he 'll rest a few tonight, that tells me he is extremely worried, but not about Dortmund in the CL, he is worried about us, no f***in doubt about it, he knows we pose a major threat to his league status albeit being early in the season,
      The man is to clever to discount us and recognises that Brendan is starting to show just how good a manager he is, he knows that SaS are probably the finest striking duo his Arses will face this season, he knows our midfield can at least match theirs, and he knows our back 3 can and will nullify their attack ,

He will worry about Dortmund after we gub them on Saturday,

So same X1 for me except if Jose is fit swap him for Ali,
      Depending how we're doing I'd give Phillipe a wee run around 70 mins, if not I'd like to see Alberto given more game time,

I believe we can rip them a new Arse at the Arse and leave Arsene scratching his Arse on Sat night,
                        Mignolet
             Toure.    Skittle.  Sakho
                     Gerrard Lucas
       Johnson.  Henderson.  Enrique
                   Suarez. Sturridge

Bench; jones, Kelly, Agger, Allen , Alberto, Coutinho, Moses

My heart says 2-2, my head says
      1-2,
      C'mon Redmen let's kick Arse

YNWA

Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #12: Oct 29, 2013 06:52:54 pm
      This will be our toughest game yet for sure. I cannot see us sticking to 3-5-2 against this lot. I suspect we might revert to 4-2-3-1 to negate the Arse threat which is their midfield which includes an in-form Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere and off course the most dangerous Cazorla. On the flipside, without Flamini, they have a very soft midfield and i cannot see any of them going into 50-50 tackles with either Gerrard or Lucas.
      Possession will not be the key in this game for me since you can guarantee that Arsenal will have 60% of the ball at home, for me it will be tactics and clinical execution,which can win it for us. They have similar defensive problems to us, so there will be goals in there for sure.

Im going for SAS to get us the points again on Saturday.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13: Oct 29, 2013 07:12:39 pm
                                      Mingnolet

Johnson          Skrtel    Sahko        Enrique/Cissokho

Lucas

Henderson                      Gerrard

Coutinho

Strurridge               Suarez

Going to say a tough match that the Reds edge out 2-1.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #14: Oct 29, 2013 07:17:48 pm
      with the form of Luis and Daniel going to the Emirates doesn't hold as much fear as it used to. Cant see us  getting beat and we are due a result that befits the performance.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Oct 29, 2013 07:22:14 pm
      with the form of Luis and Daniel going to the Emirates doesn't hold as much fear as it used to. Cant see us  getting beat and we are due a result that befits the performance.

Don't really fear any team in the prem to be honest, though we are far from perfect we have the best two front men out there and we are playing as a cohesive unit that and with confidence.

We are not going to win every match but with the game to game mentality I think we can surprise quite a few come May.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16: Oct 29, 2013 07:41:51 pm
      Arteta is banned so they will have to play Wilshire and Ramsey in the middle. Both players like to attack so hopefully that will expose gaps in front of their back 4 that we can exploit. It's actually an ideal game for Coutinho in this scenario as he will get space and time in the hole to pick out accurate passes through to SaS.

Arteta's not banned..

One match suspension which will be served tonight against the chavs in the league cup
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Oct 29, 2013 08:02:23 pm
      Arteta's not banned..

One match suspension which will be served tonight against the chavs in the league cup

Yep. Hence why they didnt appeal which makes a lot of sense. He wouldnt of played anyway tonight.

As high as we are in the ladder, i'll happily take a draw. A win will be so, so good though! They're attack vs our defense and vice versa will end up in a terrific match.

I think we have a slight advantage in attack and defence. Problem is midfield. If we produce, i think we'll draw at least but Lucas will have to be at his best and Hendo pressing with Gerrard slightly advanced to give us a bit more pace and mobility when we dont have the ball.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18: Oct 29, 2013 08:24:49 pm
      Our games against Arsenal are always close, this will be no exception.
      Arsenal's danger will come from midfield, Henderson could be a key player for us in this game to get stuck in and make sure Ramsey, Cazorla and Ozil don't get too much time on the ball.
      Our defence should be able to cope with the Gunners attack (or Giroud, as he's known), S&S should prove too much for Arsenal's defence, provided our midfield see enough of the ball to work the ball to them.

I'm going for a draw, but its one that could go either way. We could even win comfortably if things go right.
      Should be a cracker!
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 29, 2013 08:25:26 pm
      Wenger's said he's going to play a mixture against Chelsea tonight. Players who haven't had as much game time, and younger one's. He, I reckon is going to rest key players.  :(

W@nker, I'd advise him not to of course, and would remind him that he hasn't won a piece of tin for God knows how long. But there you go, he obviously has one eye on Saturday.

That piece of tin is our only trophy for the last 7 years.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #20: Oct 29, 2013 08:57:58 pm
      I'd keep the same side for this one and have Coutinho as the spark to come off the bench if and when needed.

LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #21: Oct 29, 2013 09:00:38 pm
      Ramsey, Wilshere, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Monreal and Cazorla are all playing tonight.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #22: Oct 29, 2013 09:42:14 pm
      Ramsey, Wilshere, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Monreal and Cazorla are all playing tonight.
      and they got tonked nothing to fear.Luis will eat them up.

Quick Reply