Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Liverpool and Suarez contract clause

Read 9449 times
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Liverpool and Suarez contract clause
      Mar 02, 2014 07:41:08 pm
      Liverpool's John W Henry admits Luis Suárez did have £40m clause.

It's in the Liverpool echo on the online app.

my view is that if a player can choose to not honour a contract then a club can choose to not honour a players contract, ultimitly the club has the power. Love the fact they (the owners) have done this, it's a statement saying we are no push overs, we didn't want to sell Torres but was forced to, so now where going to stand up and make a statement. Liverpool has the power not the players. Best thing this board has done.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2014 08:13:01 pm by OConnor »
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Re: Liverpool and Suarez contract clause
      Reply #1: Mar 02, 2014 07:42:52 pm
      The guardian

The Liverpool owner John Henry has reportedly admitted that Luis Suárez did have a £40m buyout clause but that the club simply refused to sell the player when Arsenal made their £40m plus one pound offer last summer.

At the time Liverpool were adamant that the Gunners' bid would not trigger the release of their striker, but Henry, speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, appears to have suggested that the Reds simply took a hard line because "apparently these contracts don't seem to hold".

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry is reported to have said. "He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving. We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to.

"Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position that we're just not selling.

"It's been great for Luis, it's been great for us. We have three gentlemen up front Suárez, [Raheem] Sterling, and [Daniel]Sturridge, [they] are young, I think those three could be together for a long time."
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2: Mar 02, 2014 08:02:25 pm
      I've never been John Henrys biggest fan but nice F***ing job.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3: Mar 02, 2014 08:21:40 pm
      I'd take that article with a pinch of salt. The contract was looked over by an independent arbitrary panel who concluded that it wasn't a "buy out" but rather an obligation to consider offers. It's probably just another example of the good old British press twisting statements to cause a drama.
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 02, 2014 08:25:34 pm
      Not like the Liverpool echo to twist anything, especially when it concerns the city of Liverpool.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #5: Mar 02, 2014 09:31:32 pm
      Not like the Liverpool echo to twist anything, especially when it concerns the city of Liverpool.

Or the number of copies they sell .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #6: Mar 02, 2014 09:32:25 pm
      All misinterpreted apparently. Making a point about how the players have the power now and not the clubs or whatever.

Remember that Luis took it to the PFA (Christ, he really was a tw*t wasn't he?) and Gordon Taylor looked into it and said the buyout clause wasn't valid?

Didn't it turn out that the £40 million bid only allowed them to talk when the fact that Arsenal knew about the clause suggested that they already had talked and were therefore wasting a quid?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Mar 02, 2014 09:52:56 pm
      I just wish they would all shut the F**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your F***ing money that got us to this position anyway.

Don't think any footballer likes being taken for a fool and I can't see Suarez being any different ... even if things seem to have worked out well in the end.

I don't honestly believe there was a selling clause in the contract, but why bring it up now just when things are going really well for us.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Mar 02, 2014 09:57:02 pm
      I just wish they would all shut the F**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your F***ing money that got us to this position anyway.

Don't think any footballer likes being taken for a fool and I can't see Suarez being any different ... even if things seem to have worked out well in the end.

I don't honestly believe there was a selling clause in the contract, but why bring it up now just when things are going really well for us.

Exactly, Luis was not happy for a reason at the time. He genuinely felt it was a buy out clause he had agreed to in his previous contract. No point picking at old wounds, even for a cheap laugh at Arsenal.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,217 posts | 1646 
      Reply #9: Mar 02, 2014 09:57:29 pm
      I just wish they would all shut the f**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your f**king money that got us to this position anyway.

This. Things are going well so belt up and don't put anything out there to undermine us.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #10: Mar 02, 2014 10:18:15 pm

Words are a dangerous thing mate and can lose title bids , they need to take advice before opening the gob.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,887 posts | 704 
      Reply #11: Mar 02, 2014 11:08:15 pm
      A contract is a legally binding document. It's not meaningless.

Players just can't break it when they like. Without a club willing to buy, a club willing to sell, and a player wanting to go, transfers can't happen.

Luis signed a massive contract last year. That entitles the club to retain him for the length of it, until they decide otherwise. That applies equally regardless where we finish in the table.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Mar 03, 2014 12:08:21 am
      I just wish they would all shut the f**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your f**king money that got us to this position anyway.

Exactly mate.

Ridicolous timing.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #13: Mar 03, 2014 01:24:14 am
      We are doing really well.  It has been a long long time since we are dreaming about winning the title.  At the start of the season it was really unimaginable, but we are and have a fair chance.  It has been a tremendous effort from the squad, the manager, the back room staff.  Suarez has scored 24 goals and 10 assists.  He is our best player and is integral to our position this season.   The owners want to get some credit for this good position.  I don't see any harm in that now that a new contract has been negotiated and Suarez is happy here.   Everyone want to jump on John Henry's back at every given opportunity.  The truth is they did an excellent job in the summer to keep hold of one of the best players in the world.   
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #14: Mar 03, 2014 02:08:40 am
      All I know is that JH has proved what an intelligent businessman he is, him, Suarez and  BR will lead us to glory soon
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #15: Mar 03, 2014 02:28:42 am
      All I know is that JH has proved what an intelligent businessman he is, him, Suarez and  BR will lead us to glory soon

I think he is intelligent with a business sense, when it comes to running a football club I think he kind of took it for granted. Football is the complete opposite of baseball when it comes to finances and business. And he is too damn cheap to own a top club. With the Red Sox you have a yearly bill you pay. You only have contracts for players. Football you add in transfers and that alters the finances completely because you do not have a set in stone money you will owe at the end of the year. You kind of control what you will have to pay. He is not a sh*t owner but you can see he is going through growing pains and realizing the costly business that this is.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16: Mar 03, 2014 10:21:22 am
      Honestly, why the fvck is this s.hit being aired now?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #17: Mar 03, 2014 10:34:26 am
      What an idiot. Hope this blows over before the Manchester United game,  but no doubt that a certain Mourinho will mention it 5 seconds before kick off.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #18: Mar 03, 2014 11:10:33 am
      he was speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. he was obviously going to discuss liverpool. and it was inevitably going to be picked up by most media outlets because it's a big story. it's not like he gave an interview then pushed it out there...
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #19: Mar 03, 2014 11:27:24 am
      Big John  hints at long term deals to keep Suarez Sturridge and Sterling together , is all I took from the piece .

YNWA

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,986 posts | 5045 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: Mar 03, 2014 12:04:39 pm

I agree s@int, what is the actual point ?
      Is it just a case where JWH was simply explaining certain goings on at a English football club to a uneducated audience, and it's the scumbag media stirring things up in a attempt to derail our season ?

I wouldn't put anything past our dodgy media, strange how all of a sudden this crops up, very strange indeed !

YNWA

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Mar 03, 2014 12:29:15 pm
      I agree s@int, what is the actual point ?
      Is it just a case where JWH was simply explaining certain goings on at a English football club to a uneducated audience, and it's the scumbag media stirring things up in a attempt to derail our season ?

I wouldn't put anything past our dodgy media, strange how all of a sudden this crops up, very strange indeed !

YNWA

That's exactly what it is mate.  JW was a guest on a chat show type thingy in the states about sports ownership, he was explaining the differences in contracts/player acquisitions and used Luis & Torres as examples. 

Don't think any of it was said to deliberately wind up the arse or their fans but the fact that it has is just brilliant.  At a time when they're about to enter their toughest run of fixtures of the season and we've just gone above them in the league.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,747 posts | 7177 
      Reply #22: Mar 03, 2014 12:34:58 pm
      A contract is a legally binding document. It's not meaningless.

Players just can't break it when they like. Without a club willing to buy, a club willing to sell, and a player wanting to go, transfers can't happen.

Luis signed a massive contract last year. That entitles the club to retain him for the length of it, until they decide otherwise. That applies equally regardless where we finish in the table.

doesn't have to be a document at all .
      This is just pointless the lad is top prem scorer he is obviously very happy end of story.

Quick Reply