Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool and Suarez contract clause

Read 9396 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Liverpool and Suarez contract clause
      Reply #46: Mar 03, 2014 04:43:49 pm
      WTF ? Reddebs was being sarcastic mate.... at least I hope she was :)

As above mate, as above  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #47: Mar 03, 2014 04:48:12 pm

I just wondered if it was you that had started the petition :)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1978487-arsenal-fan-starts-optimistic-petition-for-liverpool-to-hand-over-luis-suarez

I think their demands are quite reasonable :-

1.“Release Luis Suarez to Arsenal Football Club free of charge ”

2.“Apologise to Arsenal Football Club”

3.“Pay Arsenal Football Club a total of £4,500,000 compensation ”
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #48: Mar 03, 2014 04:56:06 pm
      WTF ? Reddebs was being sarcastic mate.... at least I hope she was :)
      ahh that explains it then. It's hard to tell sarcasm on a forum because no body language or voice tone. I didn't get my free crystal ball ball when I joined the forum.  ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: Mar 03, 2014 05:01:33 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1978487-arsenal-fan-starts-optimistic-petition-for-liverpool-to-hand-over-luis-suarez

No mate but I had read the terms of the petition before I posted, hence the comments  ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #50: Mar 03, 2014 05:02:58 pm

Arsenal fans talk rediculous sometimes.  My mates an Arsenal fan and year after year he says how they gonna ein the league and they didn't. Arsenal can have Suarez for 300m. Fair price considering they paid 40m for Ozil.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #51: Mar 03, 2014 05:05:56 pm
      Which is my whole point, by coming out with this crap, John Henry has taken the focus away from football and what a great position we are in and brought something that was better left in the past back to life. Why risk Luis seeing his arse over something that didn't need to be said?

If Luis is that soft (he isn't) then he can walk. I'm not worried about it personally. The only way this has taken the emphasis off of football is for people that are wound too tightly. In which case, they'll find something to take the emphasis off of football regardless of what anyone says or does.

I'll agree with you that it didn't really need to be said, now or ever...but I'm not too worried about Luis' response to it personally.  But then again, I don't worry about too much, I tend to just cruise along through life with a smile on my face ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #52: Mar 03, 2014 05:07:14 pm
      ahh that explains it then. It's hard to tell sarcasm on a forum because no body language or voice tone. I didn't get my free crystal ball ball when I joined the forum.  ;)

I got two crystal balls when I joined...you want one of mine?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #53: Mar 03, 2014 05:11:33 pm
      I got two crystal balls when I joined...you want one of mine?

:lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #54: Mar 03, 2014 05:13:15 pm
      I tend to just cruise along through life with a smile on my face

Call yourself a Liverpool supporter with an attitude like that !

:D

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #55: Mar 03, 2014 05:30:06 pm
      Glad to hear the club took this stance. Im sure everyone involved knew about this already. F**k the media if they think they can make more of this then there is.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #56: Mar 03, 2014 05:39:40 pm
      Call yourself a Liverpool supporter with an attitude like that !

:D

I know...it's been really hard ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #57: Mar 03, 2014 05:43:28 pm
      No one likes to be lied to.

From what John Henry is saying now that is exactly what happened. They disputed/ignored a clause in Suarez contract that Suarez believed (correctly?) allowed him to go, by saying that it only allowed Arsenal permission to speak to Suarez. If you believe what John Henry is saying now then Suarez belief not what Liverpool said at the time was correct.

The PFA said the clause was ambiguous so they gave no ruling “There is a ‘good faith’ clause in relation to serious discussions but I can’t say it is cast-iron buy-out clause."

Suarez believes, at the very least, he has a gentleman’s agreement with Rodgers.

“Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I’d be allowed to go,” he said in an interview with the Daily Telegraph and Guardian.

“It is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract - now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/transfer_blow_for_arsenal_as_pfa_chief_gives_his_verdict_on_suarez_s_contract_at_liverpool_1_2323852?usurv=skip

That all makes a lot of asumptions. It assumes the player was lied to, it assumes John Henry didn't (directly or indirectly) make his position clear, it assumes John Henry has his facts straight which considering the PFA agreed with Liverpool's interpenetration of the contract, would seem unlikely. It assumes that the player has regrets about staying, which given our respective positions in the league (Arsenal doing their annual implode) would be surprising.

The fact is that none of us know - not the fans, not the vermin in the press - what transpired behind the scenes because Liverpool, quite rightly, does not do its business in the glare of the world's media.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #58: Mar 03, 2014 06:03:22 pm
      because Liverpool, quite rightly, does not do its business in the glare of the world's media.

:lmao: That's why it is headline news all over the country

As for the rest you believe what you want. I believe John Henry should have kept his mouth shut.... end of!

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #59: Mar 03, 2014 06:09:09 pm
      Hey did I miss out on a freebee when I joined. Can we please leave this alone now Luis is happy Brendan is happy who gives a flying F**k if JH is happy or not.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Mar 03, 2014 07:24:53 pm
      :lmao: That's why it is headline news all over the country

As for the rest you believe what you want. I believe John Henry should have kept his mouth shut.... end of!

I was referring to at the time. Clearly John Henry doesn't share the club's ethos and, as you say, should have kept his gob shut.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #61: Mar 03, 2014 07:58:14 pm
      I just wonder? not saying if JH is telling the truth or not , clause or no clause, Luis stayed and seems a happy player at the moment

But I wonder why would Luis and his agent accept LFC's decision not to sell , if there was a real buy out  clause of 40M+, The FA (and they for sure are not  LIVERPOOL fans) accepted LFC's interpretation of the so called clause, they rejected , the agent's and the arse's interpretation,
         all in all JH should have kept his mouth zipped at this very important  and interesting faze of this season

YNWA

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #62: Mar 03, 2014 08:06:22 pm
      ...... are we getting spooked ?

Calm down ... calm down   

Remember lads and ladys ...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #63: Mar 03, 2014 09:40:58 pm
      Isn't this entire story missing one thing? The PFA looked at Suarez's contract and said he didn't have a buyout clause. I remember that toad Gordon Taylor giving his meaningless comments on it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-pfa-chief-2137102

Also, these quotes are coming from Twitter if I'm not mistaken. Tweets are limited to 140 characters, so words often get dropped when quoting people. So I'm thinking the quotes aren't perfect for that reason. A video would be brilliant to see, but it's still such a non-story to me.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #64: Mar 03, 2014 10:04:44 pm
      I too would prefer that this wasn't common knowledge and certainly not up in the news again. That whole #FreeSuarez thing was funny for all of 5 minutes too but now it's just wrecking my head to be honest.

On a side note, what I can gather is that the clause said we were to negotiate with any club that met the clause but were not required to accept any bid. I guess it is funny that we just told Arsenal to F**k off!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #65: Mar 03, 2014 10:06:13 pm
      Arsenal fans talk rediculous sometimes.

Sure you're not a gooner?

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #66: Mar 03, 2014 10:14:58 pm
      With Saint on this, no need for it to be brought up at all and especially at this stage of the season

However I cant help but feel a little bit pleased to see our owners playing the game instead of rolling over and getting rode
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #67: Mar 03, 2014 10:17:19 pm
      With Saint on this, no need for it to be brought up at all and especially at this stage of the season

However I cant help but feel a little bit pleased to see our owners playing the game instead of rolling over and getting rode

I think they put Suarez over their knee and spanked his behind a little bit to be honest :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #68: Mar 04, 2014 02:27:54 am
      Quote from s@int
      No one likes to be lied to.

He wasn't lied to.

There was a buy out. That doesn't mean we have to automatically sell. Or even sell to Arsenal. He signed a legally binding contract with the board. He is the board's player. It doesn't matter whether one club or ten clubs met the buy out clause. It's ultimately up to the board to tear up his contract and let him go. If they choose not to, Luis has to accept that.

Yes, he wants us to play in the European Cup, but so do the rest of us. We weren't good enough to qualify last year, so we have to sit it out until we are. He has to accept that, like everyone else here.

The focus should all be about the next game.  But at least this was released now rather than as usually happens, the night before the game.

Quick Reply