Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Samuel Eto'o

Read 22158 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Samuel Eto
      Reply #23: Aug 11, 2014 11:14:02 pm
      Unconvincing for Chelsea last season and now another year older - wouldn't cut it for us either I'm afraid.

I can see the rationale behind signing an experienced striker on a short term deal given we have invested in Origi to come next season... but for me we need to be aiming higher.

It's called "desperation" because our transfer policy is a complete laughing stock.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #24: Aug 11, 2014 11:14:46 pm
      Yeah makes perfect sense! Sell the world best striker,  replace him with someone who is sh*t. Because we have another player arriving NEXT SEASON!!

;D you're funny - have a karma point :)
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #25: Aug 11, 2014 11:15:25 pm
      Yeah makes perfect sense! Sell the world best striker,  replace him with someone who is sh*t. Because we have another player arriving NEXT SEASON!!

Yeah I agree, we can't make the same mistake as we made with Sturridge. We didn't buy Sturridge in the summer so we waited till January, and it cost us big time.

Eto would be an okay signing if he we sign another forward alongside him. Eto can still bag goals at key times,

I don't believe the theory that we can't attract quality world class strikers though, we have money (looking more and more likely that we don't atm), we have CL football and we can pay decent wages, there is more to see then what meets the eye. No club wants to sell quality strikers, it's up to us to force them to sell like clubs do with our players.

But I'll be patient and see how events occur.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #26: Aug 11, 2014 11:16:40 pm
      Don't want this guy anywhere near the club.

Saying that, he impressed me last season for Chelsea, where he was used sparingly.

But he's really not that good any more and I'd imagine he's incredibly divisive in the dressing room which isn't what we need.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #27: Aug 11, 2014 11:17:11 pm
      Let me play devils advocate for a mo:
      Chelsea: 9 goals, 2 assists - 16(5) appearances
      Anzhi: 25 goals, 11 assists - 51 appearances
      Inter: 33 goals, 14 assists - 67 appearances
      Barcelona: 108 goals 26 assists - 145 appearances

Only Chelsea, Anzhi and Inter are really relevant as Barca where when he was in his prime. Since becoming an OAP he has kept up a decent 1-2 striker rate. Its not horrible. If we can get him on lowish wages for 1 year, he'll tide us over til Origi comes in. I'm not a huge fan, but it isn't awful
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #28: Aug 11, 2014 11:19:43 pm
      You mean like Luis?

He's a winner - that's not the "antithesis" of LFC. that's why Rafa nearly bust his balls trying to sign him.
      How many years ago was that? Stop thinking about JWH's wallet, and understand we need at least 2 top strikers in the team,  Sturridge and another. Lambert, Borini and Eto would/should only be backup.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #29: Aug 11, 2014 11:20:43 pm

Only Chelsea, Anzhi and Inter are really relevant as Barca where when he was in his prime. Since becoming an OAP he has kept up a decent 1-2 striker rate. Its not horrible. If we can get him on lowish wages for 1 year, he'll tide us over til Origi comes in. I'm not a huge fan, but it isn't awful

That's not the point.

We are going from a £75m player regarded as the best striker in the world to an old, well past his sell by date grandad in Samuel Eto'o who is entirely motivated by money.

We are Liverpool, not F***ing QPR (excuse my french).
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #30: Aug 11, 2014 11:24:13 pm
      How many years ago was that? Stop thinking about JWH's wallet, and understand we need at least 2 top strikers in the team,  Sturridge and another. Lambert, Borini and Eto would/should only be backup.

Exactly mate, seems like a lot of people are going out of their way to not upset young Studge. Well if he can't take a bit of competition then he doesn't belong at a CL club.

We don't go out and buy an inferior/aging/mercenary/happy to warm the bench kind of guy, we buy someone who is going to put Sturridge under immense amounts of pressure to keep his place in the team. If the other guy is in form the Sturridge should be happy to play on the wings.

All this, don't buy someone too good or it might displace Sturridge bullshit is the wrong mentality, we support LFC not Sturridge FC and that's spoken from a big Studge fan.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #31: Aug 11, 2014 11:25:25 pm
      That's not the point.

We are going from a £75m player regarded as the best striker in the world to an old, well past his sell by date grandad in Samuel Eto'o who is entirely motivated by money.

We are Liverpool, not f**king QPR (excuse my french).

As Brendan said earlier in the window he's willing to wait for his main targets if he has to. What if we get Eto'o (A player with a 1 in 2 record) on a one year contract on a free and then we spend 40 million on one of Brendan's main targets in January. I'd be happy with that.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #32: Aug 11, 2014 11:26:18 pm

Because Chelsea's style of play last season did not rely on speed. Ours was and our pre-season suggests that it will continue to be so. We already have Lambert as the "something different" option, we don't need another one.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #33: Aug 11, 2014 11:27:04 pm
      Reading that this if it goes ahead is to replace Borini. And are still looking to get another striker in.

That for me would be fine, strong even that is assuming we get that 2nd striker.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #34: Aug 11, 2014 11:28:46 pm
      Reading that this if it goes ahead is to replace Borini. And are still looking to get another striker in.

That for me would be fine, strong even that is assuming we get that 2nd striker.

Sturridge, New Striker, Eto and Lambert. That is something I would be okay with.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #35: Aug 11, 2014 11:29:11 pm
      As Brendan said earlier in the window he's willing to wait for his main targets if he has to. What if we get Eto'o (A player with a 1 in 2 record) on a one year contract on a free and then we spend 40 million on one of Brendan's main targets in January. I'd be happy with that.
      You rarely get big name players moving in January, and why would they not be available now if they will be in January.
      Brendan is getting the excuses in early, just in case me thinks, he's been let down in the past.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #36: Aug 11, 2014 11:30:08 pm
      Surprise me that are we that F***ing skint to not afford buying a £20m striker ?

F***ing Eto who can't even move who's the genius in our transfers committee who proposed Eto surely this news has to be a joke !!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #37: Aug 11, 2014 11:30:41 pm

Unlikely.

We couldn't sign Salah or Konoplyanka In January and right now, we have struggled to secure the services of Moreno. It's taken us the entire summer. Seems we have a problem with negotiating with European teams because our three former Saints players were signed with relative ease.

I really don't think January is the time to sign a key player. He'll most likely be cup tied and committed to his club until the end of the season.

Once we sell either Agger, Lucas or Borini we will break even on spending. We've never made so much revenue in our history. You'll have to question, if not spent, where the heck that money has gone.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38: Aug 11, 2014 11:30:45 pm

That, I could live with for sure. Eto'o replaced by Reus/Origi (if he does well enough) next season would make much more sense but as our 2nd striker we need someone much stronger. Hoping whoever you heard that from has a credible source behind it.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #39: Aug 11, 2014 11:33:04 pm
      He does not have the physical skills he used to but he still has absolute top level quality. By top level I mean he is a player who was, relatively recently, world class.

Let's just think for a minute about what we want from him in very basic football terms.

We already have a main striker - therefore spending 25 million on Bony and beating Chelsea to his signature so he can sit on the bench is wasteful.

We have Origi next season - therefore buying a young prospect who will come good I a couple of season's time is wasteful.

We have a pacy team that creates a lot of chances - including a high number of "clear" chances per game - therefore buying a player without the mentality to take important chances when they are presented is wasteful.

In short, Eto'o (or someone like him) is the best solution for us right now - I'm not saying he is the only solution but he is the best - and if the club has got an ounce of sense they will sign him.

He has played and proved himself at the highest level - he is a winner and knows how to take his chances.

Our team are going to create chance after chance. As a backup striker he is a very intelligent bet.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #40: Aug 11, 2014 11:33:42 pm

I don't think it would be the worst transfer in the world.

He could be handy as he was at times for Chelsea, but anyone who thinks this is the Suarez replacement really doesn't get a grip of how the transfer window works.

It's quite obvious that they would look at Eto if the right striker is not available - I have serious concerns over Bony, and to blow £20 million on him is an even bigger risk, and to buy him just for the sake of it would be ridiculous.

I said in a previous thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see Brendan mould Sterling into a striker, in the event of Sturridge getting injured - seems appropriate as we have plenty of midfielders who could take Sterling's place if this happened.

Eto would therefore be a backup. It's a sensible decision, especially if we can't find a striker before the end of the window.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #41: Aug 11, 2014 11:34:01 pm
      Surprise me that are we that f**king skint to not afford buying a £20m striker ?

F***ing Eto who can't even move who's the genius in our transfers committee who proposed Eto surely this news has to be a joke !!

It's nothing to do with money, it's to do with failing to land our targets - again. We're now five days from the new season, we sold Suarez exactly one month ago and we still haven't replaced him. Big clubs aren't supposed to operate like this. It's embarrassing.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #42: Aug 11, 2014 11:34:12 pm

He is being bought as the backup.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #43: Aug 11, 2014 11:34:25 pm
      That, I could live with for sure. Eto'o replaced by Reus/Origi (if he does well enough) next season would make much more sense but as our 2nd striker we need someone much stronger. Hoping whoever you heard that from has a credible source behind it.

You and me both. Guess we will see, if the Borini move goes through it'd be a lot more likely.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #44: Aug 11, 2014 11:36:25 pm
      Well F**k me i've heard it all now , F***ing Samuel Eto .
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #45: Aug 11, 2014 11:40:44 pm
      You know this for a fact?  Or is it just your opinion? It wouldn't be the first time we've replaced players with inferior players.

Quick Reply