Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Memphis Depay (PSV --> Manchester United)

Read 34211 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Memphis Depay (PSV --> Manchester United)
      Apr 17, 2015 01:52:22 pm
       Liverpool set to beat Manchester United to Memphis Depay
      By Colin Harvey / Published 1st April 2015

PSV's 21-year-old winger has long been linked with a move to Old Trafford to be reunited with former Holland boss Louis van Gaal.

But Dutch football expert Marcel van der Kraan thinks Brendan Rodgers' side are actually in pole position to land the Dutch sensation.

ā€œthe fact that Liverpool scouts are in Eindhoven almost every week to watch the player signals to me that Liverpool are a strong contenderā€
          Marcel van der Kraan

Van der Kraan told Talksport: "Memphis Depay is the man who is the sensation in the Dutch league. He is liftng that PSV side.

"Depay has been linked with Manchester United.

"People think Louis van Gaal will take him, but the fact that Liverpool scouts are in Eindhoven almost every week to watch the player signals to me that Liverpool are a strong contender for the boy incase they lose one of their top forwards."
      Related articles

Yesterday Depay's agent insisted that there had been no contact from any club about his client.

Kees Ploegsma said: "There has been a lot of rumours, but he still has a contract with PSV, so for now he is in Eindhoven.

"We have not been in contact with any clubs.

"They [Van Gaal and Depay] had good contact during the World Cup, but since then there has been no contact."
      http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/434032/memphis-depay-liverpool-man-utd
      Normally I wouldn't link to the Daily Star, but there are actual quotes in the story that I thought were interesting.
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2015 11:36:19 am by ayrton77 »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Memphis Depay (PSV)
      Reply #1: Apr 17, 2015 01:57:26 pm
      My opinion: whatever Bier says about him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,225 posts | 4419 
      Reply #2: Apr 17, 2015 01:58:53 pm
       Liverpool set to beat Manchester United to Memphis Depay
      By Colin Harvey / Published 1st April 2015

PSV's 21-year-old winger has long been linked with a move to Old Trafford to be reunited with former Holland boss Louis van Gaal.

But Dutch football expert Marcel van der Kraan thinks Brendan Rodgers' side are actually in pole position to land the Dutch sensation.

ā€œthe fact that Liverpool scouts are in Eindhoven almost every week to watch the player signals to me that Liverpool are a strong contenderā€
          Marcel van der Kraan

Van der Kraan told Talksport: "Memphis Depay is the man who is the sensation in the Dutch league. He is liftng that PSV side.

"Depay has been linked with Manchester United.

"People think Louis van Gaal will take him, but the fact that Liverpool scouts are in Eindhoven almost every week to watch the player signals to me that Liverpool are a strong contender for the boy incase they lose one of their top forwards."
      Related articles

Yesterday Depay's agent insisted that there had been no contact from any club about his client.

Kees Ploegsma said: "There has been a lot of rumours, but he still has a contract with PSV, so for now he is in Eindhoven.

"We have not been in contact with any clubs.

"They [Van Gaal and Depay] had good contact during the World Cup, but since then there has been no contact."
      http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/434032/memphis-depay-liverpool-man-utd
      Normally I wouldn't link to the Daily Star, but there are actual quotes in the story that I thought were interesting.

Would be a great signing if it happens, has been scoring for fun and is the top goal scorer In the Dutch league.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,225 posts | 4419 
      Reply #3: Apr 17, 2015 02:00:40 pm
      My opinion: whatever Bier says about him.

What does FM say about him   ;)

Only kidding mate after your little tussle with Luke.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Apr 17, 2015 02:15:54 pm

Not sure, probably good but never signed him there. Don't like the way he nods to the manager when given pitchside instructions though ;)
      Bier
      Reply #5: Apr 17, 2015 02:32:56 pm
      He has alot going for him in terms of worldclass potential, but not sure he's what we need right now. I think we need impact players, but Depay probably needs a bit to adjust and develop. But I do think he is the kind of player of which you think in a few years: I wish we got him when we had the chance. But that's always easy to say isn't it, in hindsight.  I do think he isn't like another Babel for example, Depay isn't just talent, he's determined and works very hard to succeed, has the right mentality.

He would currently improve us though. But he wouldn't adress our striker problem. A forward line of Depay-Sturridge-Sterling would be interesting. If Sterling even stays, Depay might aswell be a replacement for him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Apr 17, 2015 03:47:30 pm
      Not sure, probably good but never signed him there. Don't like the way he nods to the manager when given pitchside instructions though ;)

He's immense on FM! :D
      Bier
      Reply #7: Apr 17, 2015 05:40:20 pm
      I thought a bit about it. Realistically, we should try to get him. Part of me feels we should try and get more established players, that we have that pull and the money. But at the same time, when I look at our recent transfer deals, Depay would be among the better deals. At least it feels like a safe bet.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Apr 17, 2015 05:51:32 pm
      I thought a bit about it. Realistically, we should try to get him. Part of me feels we should try and get more established players, that we have that pull and the money. But at the same time, when I look at our recent transfer deals, Depay would be among the better deals. At least it feels like a safe bet.

And where would you expect him to play?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,331 posts | 4959 
      Reply #9: Apr 17, 2015 05:53:37 pm

On the pitch. :f_tongueincheek:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #10: Apr 17, 2015 06:00:22 pm
      Bier
      Reply #11: Apr 17, 2015 06:05:19 pm
      For people who didn't watch him play against Spain, Carvajal really struggled with him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEiRR0TEQ_o#ws

I don't think that was a fluke, he has that potential. Also physically he's becoming very strong, he's a training animal.

As a left winger ideally, that's right now his most comfortable position by far, and makes most sense to let him get used to the PL there. But eventually I think he'll probably be an allround forward, able to play in most positions up front.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #12: Apr 17, 2015 06:09:55 pm
      Bier, if you could only pick one of him or Sterling, which would you prefer? Who do you think has the brighter future?
      Bier
      Reply #13: Apr 17, 2015 06:22:36 pm
      Bier, if you could only pick one of him or Sterling, which would you prefer? Who do you think has the brighter future?

Right now Sterling ofcourse, mostly based on what he has shown in a top league already. Depay just hasn't yet. Also, to me Sterling is like the crazy intuitive dribbler type player, the Maradonna or Messi type. Depay isn't. I'd sooner compare him to a player like C. Ronaldo, a more athletic player.

But it's very justified that Depay only costs 20 million or so, and Sterling far more than that. I'd be stupid to not pick Sterling.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Apr 17, 2015 06:58:50 pm
      Thanks for the insight Bier.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,331 posts | 4959 
      Reply #15: Apr 17, 2015 06:59:58 pm

I went there.

Diego can take it though. He's a good lad.

Yep. Good stuff Bier.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: Apr 17, 2015 07:34:15 pm
      Well, If Bier thinks we should get him, then we should, always trust his judgement. Though Firmino would be my first choice, I suspect he's gonna cost more.... I do wonder if we can get both though :)

Lallana/Depay, Sturridge/Origi,  Ibe/???
                         Sterling/Coutinho

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17: Apr 17, 2015 08:36:42 pm
      Well, If Bier thinks we should get him, then we should, always trust his judgement. Though Firmino would be my first choice, I suspect he's gonna cost more.... I do wonder if we can get both though :)

Lallana/Depay, Sturridge/Origi,  Ibe/???
                         Sterling/Coutinho

We'll be lucky to even get involved in bidding for either nevermind both :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Apr 17, 2015 08:44:47 pm

Hahaha :D well that in itself would be an upgrade on Sturridge who has not been on the pitch very often of late :(
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19: Apr 17, 2015 09:36:06 pm
      I've got a better idea: how about we just keep Sterling.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,225 posts | 4419 
      Reply #20: Apr 17, 2015 09:51:44 pm
      I've got a better idea: how about we just keep Sterling.

Who is talking about getting rid, idea would be to have Depay and Sterling.
      Bier
      Reply #21: Apr 17, 2015 09:56:16 pm
      I guess it also depends on what role Brendan sees for Origi, winger or striker.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,225 posts | 4419 
      Reply #22: Apr 17, 2015 10:04:26 pm
      I guess it also depends on what role Brendan sees for Origi, winger or striker.

I know he can play as a winger but He surely has to be developed as a striker.

Quick Reply