Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 105668 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #1150: Feb 02, 2016 01:55:25 pm
      It's the usual moaning minnies.

Some people can't seem to accept that we are no longer a top-level club; hopefully we are getting back there but unless you have won the league in the past few years and regularly play in the Champions League I don't think any player would be convinced. History only takes you so far.

So we have a choice of being ambitious with our targets - and losing out to the likes of United, Chelsea and Arsenal - or lowering our sights and acquiring more realistic players - in which case everyone starts moaning about getting "mid-table dross".

The elephant in the room is our relative purchasing power. We are behind the top-level clubs and the TV money means that mid-table sides are now much closer to us than they were before.

Our best bet to make transfers pay off therefore is to go to unknown leagues or find talented players with disciplinary or coaching issues - both of which we have done.

What we can't do is just buy the best players on the market since four teams can outspend us and will therefore always win.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1151: Feb 02, 2016 02:29:52 pm
      But you didn't mention quality mate just the failure to acquire targets.

The 'committee' could quite easily argue they have acquired many 'targets' over the last few seasons.

Targets we have signed account for the failure to challenge at the highest levels, if we are going to take on rivals for the Prem we need strength in depth mate.
      Any competition requires the means of giving a good account of yourself, we do not have the ingredients.
      It seems JWH&Co appoint managers to accommodate their modus operandi which does not by definition include the success this club used to take for granted, I may be dreaming of yester-year nevertheless a touch of quality would be a step in the right direction.
      The point doesn't need stressing.   
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1152: Feb 02, 2016 09:16:45 pm
      Rodgers signings were terrible tonight, but so were every single committee signing. This committee better be fu**ed off before they do any more damage.

And some think with Rodgers gone the problems have been eradicated? Hahaha!

Welcome to FSG's LFC!!! These committee lads, along with the spending structure of Mike Gordon (America's best 'soccer' man so we are told!) and Ian Ayre have well and truly fu**ed up a club with low league Sunday League fuckwits recommending utter sh*te to the manager with a spineless, wimpish side lacking any brains and bravery.

They have made a once great club of King Kenny, Graeme Sounness, Carragher, Ian St John, Gerrard, Fowler etc be replaced replaced by a bunch of bed wetting pansies.

Klopp has got a lot on his hand working with these horrible people. He, and any other manager on the planet, will be reduced to failure at the hands of these cancerous pricks.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1153: Feb 02, 2016 09:33:51 pm
      Rodgers signings were terrible tonight, but so were every single committee signing. This committee better be fu**ed off before they do any more damage.

And some think with Rodgers gone the problems have been eradicated? Hahaha!

Welcome to FSG's LFC!!! These committee lads, along with the spending structure of Mike Gordon (America's best 'soccer' man so we are told!) and Ian Ayre have well and truly fu**ed up a club with low league Sunday League fuckwits recommending utter sh*te to the manager with a spineless, wimpish side lacking any brains and bravery.

They have made a once great club of King Kenny, Graeme Sounness, Carragher, Ian St John, Gerrard, Fowler etc be replaced replaced by a bunch of bed wetting pansies.

Klopp has got a lot on his hand working with these horrible people. He, and any other manager on the planet, will be reduced to failure at the hands of these cancerous pricks.

Again SoG....4th highest net transfer fees spent over the last 5 years.....5th highest wages in the league.

We spend £40 million a year more in salary than Spurs.

Unless there is a fairy wearing a burka sprinkling an extra £50-70 million/year into the club what exactly do you want?

They cannot financially compete with City, United, Chelsea and now Arsenal....how do you overcome it? and what is YOUR plan?

Lot of crying, bitching or moaning but never any ideas.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1154: Feb 02, 2016 09:44:40 pm
      Again SoG....4th highest net transfer fees spent over the last 5 years.....5th highest wages in the league.

Unless there is a fairy wearing a burka sprinkling an extra £50-70 million/year into the club what exactly do you want?

They cannot financially compete with City, United, Chelsea and now Arsenal....how do you overcome it? and what is YOUR plan?

So what do you want? To keep these tw*ts like Barry Hunter and co in the committee? I'll give you f**king solutions which have been elaborated in greater detail already - hire better f**king scouts for a start, get a Director of Football - not some amateurs with low league experiences. Also, buy with the intent on buying good players, not as some financial asset which we think are like stocks which will profit us (THAT is the strategy, not buying winners but buying financial stocks FFS - the transfer recruitment strategy is all eyes on profit, NOT winning).

And get the youth system up and running, like Spurs and stop buying squad filler sh*te like Alberto, Aspas, Illori, etc which - when added up - is an astonishing waste. Give these squad positions to youngsters.

You can make excuses for he TC if you want, but we are bitching and moaning because we have all elaborated on the above solutions in much greater detail until we have been blue in the face. I'm sick fed up of talking about what is wrong with us and what can be better. It's not all bitching and moaning - we are only doing so because these tw*ts and the shitty transfer structure stick stubbornly to the club like an STD.

Read up on previous posts, it ain't just bitching and moaning. Anyone who thinks the committee are not to blame must be trolls, or just really really stupid.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1155: Feb 02, 2016 09:47:03 pm

Plenty of ideas have been presented in this forum fella if you choose to read them or acknowledge them. Here are mine:

- How about we ditch the constraints of the model we have been using? We buy young players, usually 2nd or 3rd tier who have had a bit of success in lesser leagues. We buy them on the premise that if we get it right, they can sit on the balance sheet as assets. We very rarely compete with other clubs to buy a player, and if we do we tend to lose out to them. Maybe we could consider buying players who are in their prime rather than always reaching for potential? a player like Higuain could be perfect for us but of course, he is out of bounds under the current transfer strategy because he does not represent a rising transfer value. Well lets face facts, noit many of these young bucks we keep buying could be sold for more than they were bought for so maybe the odd experienced player might be worth a shout?

- How about we consider paying better wages? Our transfer outlay in terms of fees is fairly healthy but we don't compete on wages. This would enable us to go after a couple of top tier players that ARE coveted by other teams? Maybe then instead of signing a Lallana, a Markovic and a whoever instead we fill that position with a player more likely to be successful? ie. a player in the upper bracket or a youngster coming through with undoubted talent (City did that Sterling, the lad will score 15-20 a season for them for the next 5 years). We may not get these players but perhaps we can try? Just a thought like given the current approach has not/does not work.

- I would like to have seen us sign less players over the past few years and to have invested more money (both in fee and wages) on better players. It's as simple as that for me. This moneyball mantra might work in baseball but its shi....te in football.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1156: Feb 02, 2016 09:48:57 pm
      So what do you want? To keep these tw*ts like Barry Hunter and co in the committee? I'll give you f**king solutions which have been elaborated in greater detail already - hire better f**king scouts for a start, get a Director of Football - not some amateurs with low league experiences. Also, buy with the intent on buying good players, not as some financial asset which we think are like stocks which will profit us (THAT is the strategy, not buying winners but buying financial stocks FFS - it's all eyes on profit, NOT winning).

And get the youth system up and running, like Spurs and stop buying squad filler white like Alberto, Aspas, Illori, etc which - when added up - is an astonishing waste. Give these squad positions to youngsters.

You can make excuses for he TC if you want, but we are bitching and moaning because we have all elaborated on the above solutions in much greater detail until we have been blue in the face. I'm sick fed up of talking about what is wrong with us and what can be better. It's not all bitching and moaning - we are only doing so because these tw*ts and the shitty transfer structure stick stubbornly to the club like an STD.

Not making excuses mate, I assumed the reason Jürgen Klopp was hired was to fix all of this.

And I believe he will.

As far as wages go..we pay the highest wages in the league with the expection of the 4 other big clubs.

We would have to spend £60 million pounds a year more to pay what City/Chelsea pay; that is not even realistic.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,715 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1157: Feb 02, 2016 09:54:10 pm
      I believe Jürgen will give an honest appraisal of the squad at the end of the season and it will be brutal. I think Jürgen wants players who give everything game in game out and he hasn't got many of those in this squad.
      I think our league is over we will not finish above 6th or 7th which is actually probably Average for FSG's time here .
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,715 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1158: Feb 02, 2016 09:56:05 pm
      Not making excuses mate, I assumed the reason Jürgen Klopp was hired was to fix all of this.

And I believe he will.

As far as wages go..we pay the highest wages in the league with the expection of the 4 other big clubs.

We would have to spend £60 million pounds a year more to pay what City/Chelsea pay; that is not even realistic.

you need to spend all the money we can get on three or 4 players then play them only in the league games and put everything into the league as Brendan did in 13/14 we simply cannot compete over 4 competitions with the quality in this squad
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1159: Feb 02, 2016 09:59:37 pm
      you need to spend all the money we can get on three or 4 players then play them only in the league games

Maybe your right Walt...don't think Jürgen is going to go that route or even wants to.

Think people are going to be shocked come Summer.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1160: Feb 02, 2016 10:11:31 pm
      Just how big will the summer clear-out be is what i'm wondering?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1161: Feb 02, 2016 10:12:32 pm

My guess is 8-10 out 6 in.

Think we are going to see guys like Smith, Brannagan, Ojo be brought up to the Senior level and 4-6 new faces along with Markovic and Grujic coming back.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1162: Feb 02, 2016 10:13:34 pm

Jürgen's first season at Dortmund he binned a lot of them, wouldn't surprised to see 8+ leave, be surprised if it's 8 arriving. We have so many similar players of average level that even though we're short on numbers we can afford to sell 8 and bring in 5 with the resulting difference us being miles better off as long as those 5 are quality.

Massive job on.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1163: Feb 02, 2016 10:13:49 pm

Squad overhaul, then adapt and lose ground, squad overhaul, adapt, lose ground, squad overhaul, adapt, lose ground......... It is so shockingly unsustainable it is frightening.

Surely the committee will be looking at themselves. Or will they just throw Klopp under the bus? Probably, given the reporbates they all are.

I long for the day when the entire committee are back with their usual low league clubs. If they continue any longer at Liverpool, they will genuinely bring us down to their natural level.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1164: Feb 02, 2016 10:15:53 pm

And I believe he will.

We took £340,000+ off the wage bill in the last two seasons. The problem is we've added £40,000 to the wage bill in the same period of time but rather than on two world class players, it's been added across six mediocre players. We can't compete on raw numbers but we can bring in limited numbers of top talent on top wages each season if we spent our money more wisely.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,715 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1165: Feb 02, 2016 10:17:03 pm
      I would much rather see less talented players give their all and be in 8th place than this lot of show ponies I think work ethic and guts is very high on Klopp list
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1166: Feb 02, 2016 10:17:24 pm
      Squad overhaul, then adapt and lose ground, squad overhaul, adapt, lose ground, squad overhaul, adapt, lose ground......... It is so shockingly unsustainable it is frightening.

Surely the committee will be looking at themselves. Or will they just throw Klopp under the bus? Probably, given the reporbates they all are.

I long for the day when the entire committee are back with their usual low league clubs. If they continue any longer at Liverpool, they will genuinely bring us down to their natural level.

Or Klopp will simply fire the Scouts and overhaul the committee.

If you think about it..Klopp is FSG's #1 asset there is zero doubt about...I believe he will get whatever he wants including an overhaul of the committee.

JWH is not stupid...if Klopp said "Its me or Ayre one of us has to go" I suspect Ian would be leaving.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,715 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1167: Feb 02, 2016 10:18:55 pm
      My guess is 8-10 out 6 in.

Think we are going to see guys like Smith, Brannagan, Ojo be brought up to the Senior level and 4-6 new faces along with Markovic and Grujic coming back.

that's ok if you put in some old heads in the team but we don't have any and we let Stevie go too easy
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1168: Feb 02, 2016 10:20:26 pm
      We took £340,000+ off the wage bill in the last two seasons. The problem is we've added £40,000 to the wage bill in the same period of time but rather than on two world class players, it's been added across six mediocre players. We can't compete on raw numbers but we can bring in limited numbers of top talent on top wages each season if we spent our money more wisely.

According to the numbers we have not; according with the numbers we have added £12 millon/season to the wage bill the past 3 seasons; the issue is we do not have an additional £40-60 million/year to just throw at salary...where does this come from? We have the 5th biggest salary by a long shot £40 million more than the 6th highest paying club...just don't see where we are going to close that gap.

PL Wage Bill                       
                                                13/14      14/15       15/16
      3   Chelsea                       Â£190m   Â£192.7m   Â£215.6m
      1   Manchester United      £187m   Â£215.8m    £203 m
      2   Manchester City          £216m   Â£205m     Â£193.8m
      4   Arsenal                      £166.4m  £180.4m   Â£192m
      5   Liverpool                     Â£140m   Â£144m      £152m

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1169: Feb 02, 2016 10:24:29 pm

I've always been sceptical of an overhaul, wondering whether giving them time to bed for a season would be better, but considering Klopp conducted on in his first year in charge suggests we may have to do so.

So who us out? Can, Moreno, Lucas, Benteke, Lallana? (Let's be honest - Lucas isn't getting any younger and was terrible tonight, and only looks good in recent years because the team's quality has lowered).

Well, I'm sure we can all agree that the "OUTS' should include Hunter, Edwards, Fallows, Gordon and Ayre. C*nts.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1170: Feb 02, 2016 10:26:15 pm
      Or Klopp will simply fire the Scouts and overhaul the committee.

If you think about it..Klopp is FSG's #1 asset there is zero doubt about...I believe he will get whatever he wants including an overhaul of the committee.

JWH is not stupid...if Klopp said "Its me or Ayre one of us has to go" I suspect Ian would be leaving.

Klopp does not have any power to fire the transfer committee Erik, most are there with the blessing of JWH&Co.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1171: Feb 02, 2016 10:27:34 pm
      Klopp does not have any power to fire the transfer committee Erik, most are there with the blessing of JWH&Co.

You might be surprised I think Stuey...the only one on that board that is untouchable is Gordon.

And yes I 100% believe that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1172: Feb 02, 2016 10:27:43 pm

I've always been sceptical of an overhaul, wondering whether giving them time to bed for a season would be better, but considering Klopp conducted on in his first year in charge suggests we may have to do so.

So who us out? Can, Moreno, Lucas, Benteke, Lallana? (Let's be honest - Lucas isn't getting any younger and was terrible tonight, and only looks good in recent years because the team's quality has lowered).

Well, I'm sure we can all agree that the "OUTS' should include Hunter, Edwards, Fallows, Gordon and Ayre. C*nts.

Didn't realise he had such a turnover at Dortmund, just goes to show doesn't it!

Might sound odd but I find that encouraging, I'd happily see 17 of these leave.

Quick Reply