Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Christian Benteke (Chelsea/Crystal Palace/Sunderland)

Read 68548 times
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Re: Christian Benteke (Chelsea)
      Reply #115: Jul 02, 2016 12:15:43 am
      Honest question do you really think Klopp took this job with the idea his first order of business was to make sure there is a zero net spend; conversely if when he took the job he was told there was money to spend and then got told "Sorry no money" he would say nothing?

There is money there we have had the 4th highest net spend in the league the past 5 years...what the manager chooses to do with it is his decision and if we come up a player short because there was a zero net spend it will be on Jürgen.

Think we are a bit farther away then that to be honest but we shall see; that's why the game is played on the pitch.

Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming FSG or anyone else. I'm certain the money is there. I'm just questioning all those who think we should be aiming for a "zero net spend" because I think that's asinine for a club and for us to even debate over because realistically there are tons of other different cash flows in and out of the club that are completely unrelated to transfers, and for a club of our size, I'd expect that to be largely positive and fully capable of fueling an aggressive transfer campaign.

I've got no evidence that anyone within our ownership or management thinks that either, I simply think that we're 1-2 first team signings off the mark from going into the season as an expected top 4 club. If we finish in that range or higher, it'll be because of some mixture of exceptional tactics and sheer fortune. And if not, I aim to put the brunt of the blame on Jürgen, unless he explicitly comes out and says that FSG completely screwed him over in terms of allocating funds for transfers or wages.

Either way, Klopp is a great leader of men, he understands the code that when we're successful the team and him share the credit and when we fail he takes the blame as the leader. He wouldn't have gotten into this without that understanding, so we'll see how the rest of the window and ultimately the season goes.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #116: Jul 02, 2016 12:31:43 am
      Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming FSG or anyone else. I'm certain the money is there. I'm just questioning all those who think we should be aiming for a "zero net spend" because I think that's asinine for a club and for us to even debate over because realistically there are tons of other different cash flows in and out of the club that are completely unrelated to transfers, and for a club of our size, I'd expect that to be largely positive and fully capable of fueling an aggressive transfer campaign.

I've got no evidence that anyone within our ownership or management thinks that either, I simply think that we're 1-2 first team signings off the mark from going into the season as an expected top 4 club. If we finish in that range or higher, it'll be because of some mixture of exceptional tactics and sheer fortune. And if not, I aim to put the brunt of the blame on Jürgen, unless he explicitly comes out and says that FSG completely screwed him over in terms of allocating funds for transfers or wages.

Either way, Klopp is a great leader of men, he understands the code that when we're successful the team and him share the credit and when we fail he takes the blame as the leader. He wouldn't have gotten into this without that understanding, so we'll see how the rest of the window and ultimately the season goes.

Don't think anybody is "aiming for zero net spend"....I am certainly not advocating it but if the gaffer gets what he wants and is happy with what he has and it ends up costing next to nothing then Jürgen has only Jürgen to blame if it doesn't work out.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #117: Jul 02, 2016 05:17:50 am
      Bingo, last sentence says  it all. We need to spend and spend wisely.

near zero net spend means we likely aren't spending very wisely (when you take into account how much we've spent in some windows)

L.F.C. have had quite a few players who cost us a net spend and did fantastic jobs  for us. Spending big does not guarantee that a player will be a success as we have shown several times over the past 10 years or so.For reference to net spends take a look at the likes of Steve Heighway and Gary Mac and there are quite a few more I can assure you.A player will either fit in or not fit in irrespective of cost.Back on topic Benteke was never going to fit in from the start.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #118: Jul 02, 2016 07:49:37 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36689057

Crystal Palace have made a £25m bid to sign Christian Benteke from Liverpool.

The 25-year old striker is at Euro 2016 with Belgium but has fallen out of favour at Liverpool since boss Jürgen Klopp took over last October.

The forward joined the Reds for £32.5m in July 2015 under former boss Brendan Rodgers and has scored 10 goals.

He has started only eight league games under Klopp and last month said: "I'd like to stay if I remain in the coach's plans. If not, it'll become difficult."

Take the money with both hands .

That takes the Mane transfer down into single figures .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #119: Jul 02, 2016 08:22:10 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36689057

Crystal Palace have made a £25m bid to sign Christian Benteke from Liverpool.

The 25-year old striker is at Euro 2016 with Belgium but has fallen out of favour at Liverpool since boss Jürgen Klopp took over last October.

The forward joined the Reds for £32.5m in July 2015 under former boss Brendan Rodgers and has scored 10 goals.

He has started only eight league games under Klopp and last month said: "I'd like to stay if I remain in the coach's plans. If not, it'll become difficult."

Take the money with both hands .

That takes the Mane transfer down into single figures .

Agreed mate, I'd snap their hands off at that offer.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #120: Jul 02, 2016 08:25:35 am
      If Jürgen gets the players he wants, sells the one he doesn't and it all ends up at a zero spend, wtf does it matter. Would rather that than he spunks £100 mill on players that don't cut it.

Let the men who know what they are doing do their job. Its so easy to be a keyboard warrior.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #121: Jul 02, 2016 08:30:55 am
      If Jürgen gets the players he wants, sells the one he doesn't and it all ends up at a zero spend, wtf does it matter. Would rather that than he spunks £100 mill on players that don't cut it.

Let the men who know what they are doing do their job. Its so easy to be a keyboard warrior.

Agreed, the important part is that Jürgen is getting who he wants above all else. As the old adage goes a poor workman blames his tools but I'm yet to see a good carpenter with a jelly hammer. As long as he's selecting them I've every confidence.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #122: Jul 02, 2016 08:31:08 am

:roll:

Oooooooo !

I like Norfolk. 
      Blakeney , Cley, Burnham.

Dont have to like the people though.

I'm probably  TPM accounting sensitive over the 300 mill he spent.
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2016 10:46:28 am by MIRO »
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #123: Jul 02, 2016 08:35:10 am
      If we can get close to what we spent back, then great. Whether or not we reinvest remains to be seen but I'm happy to leave it to Jürgen and the club. C'est sera sera.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #124: Jul 02, 2016 09:07:05 am

:roll:

Oooooooo !

I like Norfolk. 
      Blakeney , Cley, Burnham.

Dont have to like the people though.

I'm probably  TPM accounting sensitive over the 300 mill spent.

No what you mean about the people, but we haven't all got 6 fingers and shag direct family members ;D.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #125: Jul 02, 2016 09:34:07 am

It's not nailed on...

The club are adamant according to every report I've seen that they want £30m or there's no deal.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #126: Jul 02, 2016 09:56:45 am
      It's not nailed on...

The club are adamant according to every report I've seen that they want £30m or there's no deal.

that would be a get out of jail free card if ever there was one.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #127: Jul 02, 2016 10:11:52 am

Benteke might not be good for us, but he is still a good player. Likely will be great for other clubs playing some sort of target man. Hold out for a bit more $$$$$.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #128: Jul 02, 2016 11:48:03 am

No what you mean about the people, but we haven't all got 6 fingers and shag direct family members ;D.

Oh yes you do, your uncle Janice told me you do  >:D

YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #129: Jul 02, 2016 12:29:47 pm
      If Jürgen gets the players he wants, sells the one he doesn't and it all ends up at a zero spend, wtf does it matter.
      And... if "Jürgen" gets the players he wants, sells the one he doesn't and it all ends up at a £250m spend, why the F**k should that matter either mate? It does work both ways; doesn't it?  ;)

I mean; the people who will argue that "Jürgen" shouldn't spend another X, Y, or Z million on a player can't have it both ways; can they? Anyhows...

Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing but I can't really see Jürgen being too concerned with whether or not this sale results in a break-even scenario.

sh*t - I know we have the odd fan or two who are genuinely convinced that Jürgen is in total control but surely the F**k haggling over fees is time that he would be better off using elsewhere?

I still harbour this 'crazy' notion that "money-men" dictate the pace, where finance is concerned, because let's face it; I can't see Jürgen wanting to run the risk of wasting a lot of time or the chance to sign other targets by F***ing about, kibbling and haggling over a few million: can you?

After all: "wtf does it matter?"   ;)

Am I really expected to believe that Jürgen doesn't want Christian but he'd be prepared to run the risk of keeping him (and miss out on other targets) over a few million quid? I mean; really?  :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2016 12:44:13 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #130: Jul 02, 2016 12:52:58 pm
      Who cares how much money we spend as long as we get the right players to suit Klopps system?

Two words... Leicester City.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #131: Jul 02, 2016 12:55:58 pm
      Is that an argument? Okay, I'll play - Another two words... Real Madrid.  :lmao:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #132: Jul 02, 2016 12:56:27 pm
      Who cares how much money we spend as long as we get the right players to suit Klopps system?

They're the exception not the norm. I get your point though.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #133: Jul 02, 2016 01:08:11 pm
      Is that an argument? Okay, I'll play - Another two words... Real Madrid.  :lmao:

Another two words... Atletico Madrid.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #134: Jul 02, 2016 01:46:29 pm

Why is it one or the other, if he gets who he wants for net spend zero why can't we then go on and spend some more on more players he wants?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #135: Jul 02, 2016 01:46:42 pm
      Another two words... Atletico Madrid.
      Oh dear.

Seriously tho'; what point are you trying to make?  :laugh:

Because (unless you are thick as sh*t) - if you genuinely believe what you wrote i.e. - "Who cares how much money we spend as long as we get the right players to suit Klopps system?" then surely to F**k you can see that this also holds true for big spending too?   :confused-smiley-013:

I'm guessing English isn't your first language mate so I'll put it another way - what if Jürgen spends £400m to get the players, who suit his system (in Real Madrid fashion  ;))?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #136: Jul 02, 2016 01:47:00 pm

Yea because a team like that consistently wins the league title eh?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #137: Jul 02, 2016 02:02:38 pm
      Yea because a team like that consistently wins the league title eh?
      ;D

What he really meant was - "Who cares how much Jürgen spends, to get the players he wants, as long as it's not much..." 
      John Dubya 'likes' this. :gt-happyup:

Last 10 winners of the Premier League - Man Utd x 5; Chelsea x 2; Man City x 2 & Leicester City.
      Last 10 winners of La Liga -  Real Madrid x 3; Barcelona x 6 & Atletico Madrid.

So moving on... my point about Jürgen not really being involved in the haggling process, over Christian, still stands.

Quick Reply