Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 171336 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,484 posts | 3437 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1380: May 10, 2020 02:22:15 pm
      The longer it goes and with the amount of opposition from the bottom 6 to any of the proposals the more I see them using PPG and declaring.

And then watch them try to make some lawyers rich by cry arsing to them
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #1381: May 10, 2020 02:27:22 pm
      And then watch them try to make some lawyers rich by cry arsing to them

Exactly.

The PL need to come out and rule out void and cancelling relegation.

Have a plan of what will happen if they think they cannot realistically finish the season and tell the club's their is no option to just cancel this season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #1382: May 10, 2020 02:42:38 pm
      Interesting that one of the club's most against any proposals for getting football back running again has three unnamed players positive for Covid 19.

Am I reading too much into this?

I'd imagine clubs are just getting large scale testing going.  A lot more people have this than know about it so I'd imagine we will get a fair few positives across the Premier League.  I think the UK survey is going to say about 1 in every 250 people have it right now so across the number of people who will get testing that's the kind of figure I'm expecting to see. If it's 50 people at each club tested then that would be about 4/5 positive results in the league. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #1383: May 10, 2020 03:57:45 pm
      I'd imagine clubs are just getting large scale testing going.  A lot more people have this than know about it so I'd imagine we will get a fair few positives across the Premier League.  I think the UK survey is going to say about 1 in every 250 people have it right now so across the number of people who will get testing that's the kind of figure I'm expecting to see. If it's 50 people at each club tested then that would be about 4/5 positive results in the league. 

Didn't think of that mate but still a bit dubious to me that one of the club's who are against any sort of proposals now have the perfect opportunity to try and veto the League starting.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1384: May 10, 2020 04:13:33 pm
      Coronavirus: Third Brighton player tests positive - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52605961

Interesting that one of the club's most against any proposals for getting football back running again has three unnamed players positive for Covid 19.

I thought that. Bit convenient the team kicking up the most fuss has 3 unnamed cases.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1385: May 10, 2020 04:59:17 pm

I like these,
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1386: May 10, 2020 05:06:39 pm
      Coronavirus: Third Brighton player tests positive - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52605961

Dynamo Dresden pulled the same thing,bottom of div 2 in Germany,hmmmm?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1387: May 10, 2020 07:04:18 pm
      Boris just confirmed that people want to defeat CoVid-19. Who knew?! :roll:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1388: May 10, 2020 09:38:47 pm
      More and more likely this must isn't happening.

Said before and I'll say it again but I hope we start getting it out into the media now that this is our league title.

Christ we could end this season with no title here if we dont start setting our stall out soon.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,357 posts | 290 
      Reply #1389: May 10, 2020 10:44:22 pm
      I'm getting more and more worried we ain't getting this title, I'm now wanting PPG I think. 😔
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1390: May 11, 2020 12:03:30 am
      One way or another the league will get completed, the other clubs plus sky will get the bottom feeders into line.
      Worst case do a PPG.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1391: May 11, 2020 02:27:44 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52619111

No professional sport, even behind closed doors, will be staged in England until 1 June at the earliest, the UK government has announced.

The government has published a 50-page guidance document detailing how England will begin to ease lockdown measures.

Step two of that plan - which will not be allowed to start before 1 June - includes "permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact".

The document states that reopening venues that attract large crowds such as sports stadia "may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections".

We could go from potentially earliest ever champions to latest ever champions, but doesn't matter as long as we get the title we've earned. Hopefully the club season starting later makes it less likely for useless internationals to happen any time soon.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1392: May 11, 2020 03:12:02 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52619111

We could go from potentially earliest ever champions to latest ever champions, but doesn't matter as long as we get the title we've earned. Hopefully the club season starting later makes it less likely for useless internationals to happen any time soon.

Personally for me the earliest and latest depends on games played rather than the date it's won. The season often varies in start date by a week or 2, gets juggled about with cup replays, international football etc so it's not an entirely accurate way to judge it, that's why I prefer to look at it on number of games played. We could win it in our next game, if that makes us the earliest to win it from games played then we have the record as far as I'm concerned, regardless of whether that's in June.

Latest is City with their final minute of the final game vs QPR.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1393: May 11, 2020 04:27:47 pm
      I'm getting more and more worried we ain't getting this title, I'm now wanting PPG I think. 😔

See how quickly the news cycle changes?

Sounds like first matches played first weekend of June.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1394: May 11, 2020 04:43:01 pm

See what goes on in Germany this weekend but i have no faith in the fa?prem?government orgainizing a picnic let alone a full schedule of games first weekend in june.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,357 posts | 290 
      Reply #1395: May 11, 2020 05:10:09 pm

I'll only settle when that trophy is being held above Hendos head
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,281 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1396: May 11, 2020 08:01:27 pm
      I have a bad feeling about the league restarting more clubs not wanting to finish it, for me it should be finished before we start another campaign
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,459 posts | 2852 
      Reply #1397: May 11, 2020 08:38:53 pm
      Premier League statement: May 11
      The Premier League released the following update on Monday evening.

Following today's meeting of Shareholders, Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters has said the 20 clubs are united in their desire to get the 2019/20 season back up and running and that players and managers will have an important role in that return.

"In today's meeting, it was reiterated the Premier League and clubs absolutely recognise the COVID-19 pandemic puts football into context," Masters said. "So many lives have been lost and so many others deeply affected.

"We are proud at the response to the pandemic that the Premier League, our clubs and our players have provided with vital support to communities and to the NHS and hopefully will continue to do so after matches recommence."

During today's meeting the UK Government signalled the possibility of a return of live sports from 1 June, following on from its announcement on the easing of the lockdown in England.

Safety comes first

Masters said the League will follow Government advice as well as that of others in planning a return of the competition.

"We welcome these first steps and are ready to play our part," he said. "We are working flat out with clubs and stakeholders - Government, our broadcast partners, The FA, the EFL, PFA and the LMA - to create a responsible, safe and deliverable model to complete the season.

"Of course, safety comes first. We must listen to Government, the authorities and the medical experts and continue to follow their advice.

"That is exactly what we are doing. We are getting ourselves in the best position to resume the season, but only when the conditions are right."

Collective way forward

Masters said today's meeting of clubs showed all 20 were united in looking to complete the season.

"There was a strong desire to discuss everything in the round and to agree a collective way forward," he said. "A really strong collective will to complete the season remains."

In so doing, Masters reiterated that consulting the players and managers is vital and that a meeting is planned with them later this week.

"Our priority will always be the safety of players, coaches and managers, staff, supporters, and the wider community," he said.

"Nothing will be agreed until we have spoken to both the managers and players."

Masters said that only after consultation with the players and managers would there be the next step of clubs returning to training, but with social-distancing measures put in place. For that, he added, a company had been appointed to conduct testing at club training grounds.

The issue of where the remaining Premier League matches would be played was also discussed, with the possibility of using neutral venues raised. But Masters stressed that the Shareholders' desire was to complete the season playing matches at their originally scheduled venues.

"Obviously it is the preference of all our clubs to play at home if at all possible," Masters said. "It is an ongoing dialogue and we've been talking to the authorities about the conditions in which we could get the Premier League back up and running and are taking all that advice on board."

New Premier League Chair

Masters also spoke about the recent appointment of Gary Hoffman as the new Premier League Chair, taking over from Claudia Arney, who had been holding the position on an interim basis.

"I am looking forward to working with Gary," Masters said. "He has a tough act to follow in Claudia, who I have worked with so closely over the last 18 months.

"I know Claudia has the respect of everyone at the Premier League and all the players.

"We are looking forward to that new team emerging."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/395401-premier-league-statement-may-11
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1398: May 12, 2020 12:16:48 am
      Premier League statement: May 11
      The Premier League released the following update on Monday evening.

Following today's meeting of Shareholders, Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters has said the 20 clubs are united in their desire to get the 2019/20 season back up and running and that players and managers will have an important role in that return.

"In today's meeting, it was reiterated the Premier League and clubs absolutely recognise the COVID-19 pandemic puts football into context," Masters said. "So many lives have been lost and so many others deeply affected.

"We are proud at the response to the pandemic that the Premier League, our clubs and our players have provided with vital support to communities and to the NHS and hopefully will continue to do so after matches recommence."

During today's meeting the UK Government signalled the possibility of a return of live sports from 1 June, following on from its announcement on the easing of the lockdown in England.

Safety comes first

Masters said the League will follow Government advice as well as that of others in planning a return of the competition.

"We welcome these first steps and are ready to play our part," he said. "We are working flat out with clubs and stakeholders - Government, our broadcast partners, The FA, the EFL, PFA and the LMA - to create a responsible, safe and deliverable model to complete the season.

"Of course, safety comes first. We must listen to Government, the authorities and the medical experts and continue to follow their advice.

"That is exactly what we are doing. We are getting ourselves in the best position to resume the season, but only when the conditions are right."

Collective way forward

Masters said today's meeting of clubs showed all 20 were united in looking to complete the season.

"There was a strong desire to discuss everything in the round and to agree a collective way forward," he said. "A really strong collective will to complete the season remains."

In so doing, Masters reiterated that consulting the players and managers is vital and that a meeting is planned with them later this week.

"Our priority will always be the safety of players, coaches and managers, staff, supporters, and the wider community," he said.

"Nothing will be agreed until we have spoken to both the managers and players."

Masters said that only after consultation with the players and managers would there be the next step of clubs returning to training, but with social-distancing measures put in place. For that, he added, a company had been appointed to conduct testing at club training grounds.

The issue of where the remaining Premier League matches would be played was also discussed, with the possibility of using neutral venues raised. But Masters stressed that the Shareholders' desire was to complete the season playing matches at their originally scheduled venues.

"Obviously it is the preference of all our clubs to play at home if at all possible," Masters said. "It is an ongoing dialogue and we've been talking to the authorities about the conditions in which we could get the Premier League back up and running and are taking all that advice on board."

New Premier League Chair

Masters also spoke about the recent appointment of Gary Hoffman as the new Premier League Chair, taking over from Claudia Arney, who had been holding the position on an interim basis.

"I am looking forward to working with Gary," Masters said. "He has a tough act to follow in Claudia, who I have worked with so closely over the last 18 months.

"I know Claudia has the respect of everyone at the Premier League and all the players.

"We are looking forward to that new team emerging."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/395401-premier-league-statement-may-11

Sounds positive
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1399: May 12, 2020 12:30:43 am
      Seen some examples of how the league would look if they finished it with a weighted PPG system. Must admit, I like the look of it. We finish on 107 points and for all the sh*t the Mancs try giving us over missing out on the league last season by 1mm, well they’d miss out on 5th (CL football if the City ban is upheld) by something like 0.06 of a point.

Good bit of karma IMO, especially with them desperate for the league to have not restarted to try and stop us getting the title.

I’m all for PPG to finish this season  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #1400: May 12, 2020 01:25:56 am
      I think clubs will end up playing at their own stadium. Neutral venues does look and feel a bit unnecessary.

Get them back training, get the tests done and isolate the handful of positives early.

Start the next season in September, when we win it a 20th time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1401: May 12, 2020 09:59:10 am
      I think clubs will end up playing at their own stadium. Neutral venues does look and feel a bit unnecessary.

Get them back training, get the tests done and isolate the handful of positives early.

Start the next season in September, when we win it a 20th time.

Yeah I'm a bit confused about the neutral stadiums as well but I guess its just to limit the number of medical and media staff required, so if its just a handful of stadiums to be used and its only the bottom feeders who are complaining then why not play the matches at their stadiums, for example at Bournemouth, Brighton and Southampton as they are quite close together. I'm not quite sure how many neutral stadiums you'd need in total.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1402: May 12, 2020 10:29:36 am
      Yeah I'm a bit confused about the neutral stadiums as well but I guess its just to limit the number of medical and media staff required, so if its just a handful of stadiums to be used and its only the bottom feeders who are complaining then why not play the matches at their stadiums, for example at Bournemouth, Brighton and Southampton as they are quite close together. I'm not quite sure how many neutral stadiums you'd need in total.

You have to have parity across the board so I cannot see that being agreed to. These clubs at the bottom I suspect are torn between needing to finish the season (and not having to give money back to Sky and co) and wanting it to be voided and be safe from relegation.

The complaints about neutral venues link into the void scenario in my opinion, if agreement can't be reached then the stale-mate contributes to a void season. so much agenda pushing and self-interest at play here.

I actually think LFC have done a good job of keeping quiet through all of this. I think we will be awarded the title if it cannot be completed on the pitch but it will feel hollow. Just desperate to win it on the pitch. I'll feel completely robbed if it's done off the pitch.

Quick Reply