Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Zonal Marking

Read 18321 times
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Re: Zonal Marking
      Reply #23: Dec 19, 2007 02:13:39 pm
      That was from a Tomkins article on the official site, dated 26/11/2007. Since then, how many goals have we conceded from setpieces/corners? Is Tevez's goal the first one from such a situation in over seven months? Shall we compare that to some of the other teams operating with man to man marking?

A more valid point of change would be to put someone marking the 'zone' outside the box, around the D. So many balls fall to players there from half clearances, it's worth sticking another man in there. *AFOREMENTIONED INFORMATION PROPERTY OF REEPICHEEP AND SUBJECT TO STATUTORY RIGHTS. COPYRIGHT 2007*

You can hardly blame Yossi for the goal either; had the shot gone straight into that corner, he would have been berated for not sticking on the post and defending properly. He took the chance that he wouldn't play a utd player onside to get  touch, and it backfired.

:lmao:
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #24: Dec 22, 2007 11:12:18 am
      What a joke of a thread; our defending off setpieces has been strong for years.
      liverpooldan87
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts | 10 
      Reply #25: Dec 24, 2007 01:44:35 am
      Zonal marking is an effective method of defending corners and other set pieces if there is a high level of organisation throughout the penalty area. Its usually assosiated with European football more so than the game in England, so obviously its no suprise that under both Houllier and now Benitez we have seen a return of this style of defending, but back in the day when we won league championships, we used zonal defending then too. We need to ensure that our best headers of the ball are in the key danger areas, with other players in positions to clear the second balls, such as on the edge of the penalty area in the 'D' where so many half cleared balls end up (thank you artaylor).

One issue people have with the zonal marking system is that because opposing players are obviously on the move and not just standing still, a lot of the time players will be left unmarked. Another problem that 'experts of the game' (such as Gavin Peacock MoTD2 or Paul Merson Soccer Saturday) point out is that defenders end up marking their specific areas, which wont score, but leave opposition players, who will.

Basically, if the method is taught effectively, the system works fine. Defending players need to know exactly what/where they are defending as well as knowing exactly what/where their team mates are defending as well. Personally, I'm happy with us using the zonal marking system, it worked well for Benitez in Spain and I'm prety confident that it will be effective here too.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #26: Apr 05, 2008 03:18:50 pm
      Hmm...

We keep conceding a few set pieces lately...
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #27: Apr 05, 2008 03:20:32 pm
      What, three?
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Apr 05, 2008 03:21:07 pm
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #29: Apr 05, 2008 03:26:37 pm
      I'd always thought the Zonal marking was clearly meant to stop attackers' approach in an ongoing play,; But for set pieces and in the 18 yard box, our defenders ought to lock up their men in a man-on-man style.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #30: Apr 05, 2008 03:30:06 pm
      We're bloody aweful at defending set pieces. It's not that we aren't good in the air. I mean Agger, Carra, Sami and Skrtel are all compotent headers' of the ball.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: Apr 05, 2008 03:34:29 pm
      Concentration when crosses are coming in has to improve. We have looked dodgey at corners and free kicks. Whether it's zonal marking or not, the concentration has to improve.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #32: Apr 05, 2008 03:39:48 pm
      I don't think it's the system at fault, after all it has served us well for a good time in the past, but the players don't seem to be applying the system correctly recently. Today it looked to me like it was Riise that got sucked out of his zone, which left the gap for Bendtner to head from.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Apr 05, 2008 03:44:22 pm
      Today it looked to me like it was Riise that got sucked out of his zone, which left the gap for Bendtner to head from.

Exactly. Lack of concentration mate.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #34: Apr 05, 2008 03:46:58 pm
      Exactly. Lack of concentration mate.

That's the one I was looking for.

It's just really careless as well.  Something needs to be done.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #35: Apr 05, 2008 03:55:28 pm
      Riise doesn't have the best defensive awareness...
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #36: Apr 05, 2008 03:56:33 pm
      Riise doesn't have the best defensive awareness...

That's like saying Crouch is a bit on the tall side :D
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #37: Apr 05, 2008 03:59:50 pm
      That's like saying Crouch is a bit on the tall side :D

Yes I know it's obvious, but again Riise isn't the best winger either... so is he good enough for us? Obviously not... again this is obvious before you point that one out!
      SPARKYMK
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #38: Apr 06, 2008 10:03:55 pm
      I don't think it's the system at fault, after all it has served us well for a good time in the past, but the players don't seem to be applying the system correctly recently. Today it looked to me like it was Riise that got sucked out of his zone, which left the gap for Bendtner to head from.

If you look at the last 2 goals against Arsenal.....In the CL it was zonal, but if you watch the goal yesterday they were marking man for man and trying to run/stay with their men.
      Throughout the premier league, proportionaly, as many goals are scored when man for man marking is being used as when zonal is being used, so whether its zonal or man for man marking, the common denominator is organistation and concentration.  If these are good then the defending is good. At the moment thi is not good.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #39: Jan 20, 2009 10:03:35 am
      BUMP.

:f_steam:
      redref
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #40: Jan 20, 2009 10:38:36 am
      What's last nights goal got to do with zonal marking? For the freekick last night it was basic man-marking that was used, as zones arent really used for freekicks that are so deep. It was a great freekick and carragher missed the chance to head it pretty much.

Of course Bennyboy shouldnt have given the sodding freekick away in the first place - silly git.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #41: Jan 20, 2009 11:20:56 am
      although yossi was totally at fault for conceding a free-kick at such a dangerous position but had skrtel kept an eye on cahill the goal could have very well been avoided.cahill was moving around so casually in our box as if he was one of us
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #42: Jan 20, 2009 01:10:03 pm
      and lets be honest the ball in was amazing. Can't keep reviving this topic whenever we concede a setpiece, to be honest our record is still one of the best in the league and whilst zonal marking does have its faults, we're pretty damn good at it now.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #43: Jan 20, 2009 01:18:33 pm
      Don't really think that Zonal marking was at fault last night. Just general bad defending. Nobody looked interested in what Cahill was doing, i dont know if they didnt realise he was there or what but it was a joke. Smallest player on the pitch and yet he is left to head home the equaliser.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #44: Jan 20, 2009 01:27:03 pm
      Well what the F**k was Cahill doing unmarked RIGHT NEXT TO HYYPIA?

"It's alright the space will mark him."  I call that 'attempted' zonal marking, the one we need to F***ing scrap.
      siburns.1900
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #45: Jan 20, 2009 01:40:17 pm
      Time to scrap it Rafa.

I've had enough of it.  It was here when Houllier was Manager and now Rafa has always been in favor of it.

Todays just another example of how castrophic it really can be.  Time to pick up the opposition by staying tight on them.  Good old Man To Man Marking brings back my FM days (which was mearly 2 weeks a go ;))

What you does everyone think?
        I agree, it doesnt work. We have lost too many points over the years due to this zonal crap.

Quick Reply