Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn Rovers)

Read 8083 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn Rovers)
      May 01, 2008 06:49:04 pm
      http://www.caughtoffside.com/2008/04/30/liverpool-want-12m-premier-league-striker-would-work-very-well-with-torres/6770.html

He scored 18 Goals this season and counting, but is assist record is low. His is commanding a whooping 12 million pounds and The Mighty REDS and the devils are going after his signature. Rafa Benitez believes he will work well with Torres. He scored that late consolation goal against US in the 3 - 1 crushing of Bloacburn Rovers.

What do you think?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn Rovers)
      Reply #1: May 01, 2008 07:04:11 pm
      Well he's certainly been banging in the goals for Blackburn, 17 in 35 appearances so far. The only concern I'd have is the fact that he didn't do a lot at Bayern, this could well be because he's better suited to English football but it could be that he's just having a good first season & won't continue to do so well. If it's the latter then it would be a fair bit of money wasted.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #2: May 01, 2008 07:18:36 pm
      Well he's certainly been banging in the goals for Blackburn, 17 in 35 appearances so far. The only concern I'd have is the fact that he didn't do a lot at Bayern, this could well be because he's better suited to English football but it could be that he's just having a good first season & won't continue to do so well. If it's the latter then it would be a fair bit of money wasted.

I will prefer if we had a player with a very good assist record. This may turn out to be a hasty buy as he may not have been fully tested in the EPL. But IRWT - Rafa benitez must have observed him long enough.

Alos, He has scored 15 goals in the Premiership and 3 in the League cup competition.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: May 01, 2008 07:23:04 pm
      From what I've seen he's a great header of the ball and a great finisher. But smaller clubs usually demand stupid money for their decent players.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: May 01, 2008 11:24:12 pm
      He is a fantastic player no doubting that i would be happy if we bought him
      BRFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #5: May 02, 2008 12:02:41 am
      We won't sell him after one season, hopefully we can keep him, and we will do better with McCarthy next season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: May 02, 2008 12:14:03 pm
      What's the fans take on him BRFC?
      BRFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #7: May 02, 2008 12:24:05 pm
      Well he has made our season so far, at £3.5m, dare I say it he is better value for money than your Torres at the moment, don't think he has scored a boring goal. And he has exceeded everyones expectations - even his in his first season, so I don't think we will sell him unless he stinks next season
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #8: May 02, 2008 01:19:27 pm
      At 3.5 million for sure that is buy of the season.
      BRFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #9: May 02, 2008 01:55:42 pm
      I mean, no offense to Liverpool and Torres, but for what was it £26.5m? You would expect Torres to create the chances he does and score those goals
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #10: May 02, 2008 02:01:15 pm
      20 million it was from Rafa's mouth. 30 goals in his first season from Spain, cant ask for more. Named the best striker in the Prem and possibly the world atm so that cant be too bad.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #11: May 05, 2008 10:43:29 am
      But still I have to agree 3.5mil for a player to score 17 goals in their first year is awesome..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: May 05, 2008 11:45:34 am
      Absolutely. Best valued buy in the season.
      kennys88lads
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | -4 
      Reply #13: May 05, 2008 01:52:25 pm
      Everyone was raving about Mccarthy last season and this season he has been below average so I would be weary of Santa Cruz at this point. I am also scarred by the signing of bellamy who was on fire at BRFC before we signed him and then he flopped for us. Would rather go all out for Villa far more expensive but playing with Torres is mouthwatering...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #14: May 06, 2008 08:02:54 am
      Yeah not into buying Santa Cruz, just admiring a good buy.

That Villa/Torres partnership wont leave my mind. Just imagine seeing Villa next to Torres on the team sheet *drools* ;D

Im sure the ladies will be drooling for an entirely different reason though...
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #15: May 06, 2008 11:02:49 pm
      Yeah not into buying Santa Cruz, just admiring a good buy.

That Villa/Torres partnership wont leave my mind. Just imagine seeing Villa next to Torres on the team sheet *drools* ;D

Im sure the ladies will be drooling for an entirely different reason though...

Is Villa even on Rafa Benitez' Radar? Surely he must be aware of the quality of a striker like Villa.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #16: May 07, 2008 12:35:44 am
      Is Villa even on Rafa Benitez' Radar? Surely he must be aware of the quality of a striker like Villa.

Dont think rafa is even interested to be honest, seems extremely unlinkely he is.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17: May 07, 2008 09:58:15 am
      He would be solodee but the price range isnt really making it any better for us.
      AggerDoo
      Reply #18: May 07, 2008 10:11:27 am
      Benni McCarthy had a good season last year scoring a few goals. Then this season he has been non exsitant could be same case with Santa Cruz and Blackburn would charge over the odds prices for him. He didnt exactly have a good goal scoring record at Bayern Munich which shows he may not handle the pressure of big clubs.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: May 07, 2008 10:31:33 am
       I did read on one of the sports pages that Santa Cruz is quite happy at Blackburn and has no desire to leave.I agree with other posters about McCarthy having a good season last season but not too clever this season.I do feel Santa Cruz is a different class and will score goals whoever he plays for and would do well up front with Torres.
      eggsterlfc
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #20: May 07, 2008 04:59:35 pm
      villa and torres would be great to watch but i doubt we could raise the money for him atm but santa cruz could be good with torres and we could afford him 12 mil a bit much tho
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21: May 07, 2008 06:56:33 pm
      Blackburn... striker... reminds me of bellamy too much and we know how that turned out. Bellamy scored more than Santa Cruz aswell i think.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #22: Apr 21, 2009 12:25:59 am
      Liverpool line up swoop for Roque Santa Cruz

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/apr2009/0/8/roque-santa-cruz-27781715.jpg

Rafa Benitez is eyeing up Blackburn’s in-demand striker Roque Santa Cruz.

Liverpool boss Benitez, given a huge £30m transfer kitty this summer, could be ready to rival Manchester City for the Paraguayan centre forward.

Benitez is keeping close tabs on Santa Cruz, 27, to strengthen his strike force and to work as a possible foil for Fernando Torres.

City bid £20m for Santa Cruz in the summer and manager Mark Hughes wants him - but the Eastlands boss is under huge pressure himself.

Liverpool have been scouting and reporting to Benitez on Santa Cruz who would prefer Champions League football to what City could offer him as Blackburn prepare to launch a big money auction this summer.

Benitez has already targeted Valencia’s David Silva as a big-money buy but Santa Cruz is on his radar in what would be a major shock but shows the level of Liverpool’s ambition.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/04/21/liverpool-line-up-swoop-for-roque-santa-cruz-115875-21293327/

Use to be excited about his stats. But since the advent of David Bentley, Craig Bellamy and other sharks in small clubs that turn out to be tadpoles in a big club, I have become less enthusiastic about these types.

Quick Reply