Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Results Comparison Thread 08/09

Read 12452 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Results Comparison Thread 08/09
      Reply #46: Jan 02, 2009 04:18:27 pm
      I still believe that the other top teams are still going to drop quite a few points and I'm really confident we can do it this year.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #47: Jan 02, 2009 10:12:01 pm
      Nobody arsed that we haven't improved on last season then?

It's true to say the stats suggest that we haven't improved on last season.The fact that the other  teams have dropped points this season and that we beat manu and chelski means we're top.

We have improved though in two aspects ,our mentality being able to come back and win matches from behind, and the pressures of being top and we're learning how to cope with it, and that will stand us in good stead going forward.   
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #48: Jan 03, 2009 01:10:38 am
      Posted by: JD 
      Insert Quote
      First of all I have updated the first post in this thread.

But got some pretty shitty news.

Our season's doesn't seem to be that much better at all than last season looking at the direct comparison for game v game comparisons.

I've got us on equal points after playing the same fixtures from last year, and have scored less and conceded more.  Somebody want to check my figures?

We might not do well when doing the result/team comparison with last season. I don;t think that is very important. When you do that you have to do the comparison for the other teams as well. Are they doing well ???  ::)  I do not think so, we won't be TOP if they are doing well.

Its more of the timing of the game, we are 9 points ahead compare to last season in term of matches played (regardless of what team we played). Yes, we are not playing that well (team comparison), but the other teams are worse that us (slightly), that's why we are top of the league at the moment. Of course, it will be better if we played better than last season but its not a perfect world.

You DO NOT win the title whether you play better or worse than last season or the season before that. You only need to play better than your opponents below you in the table for the current season to win the title.

We must stay in touch for the next 2/3 months then go for the final push and landed at NUMBER 19.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #49: Jan 03, 2009 08:02:04 am
      Do having different players or even time players have played together play part as factors?

Since we've got some new players this season, is it safe to assume that they would get us better results then the old batch last season?
      or
      Had J.A.R, Steve Finnan or Kewell stayed, would they get us better results this season?

What i'm trying to say that i think it's only comparable between 2 season consisting of the same players.. i may be wrong :P
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,678 posts | 6974 
      Reply #50: Jan 04, 2009 08:50:38 pm
      What i'm trying to say that i think it's only comparable between 2 season consisting of the same players.. i may be wrong :P

Why would you want to compare with the same players?  As a football club each year, each transfer window, we are looking to improve our playing staff.  Bringing in better players than the one's that have departed.

All I am highlighting from the stats is that compared to the same fixtures last season we have 45 points, the same number of points as last season. 

The reason we are top is three fold

a) The order of the fixtures this time round have enabled us to get more points on the board early doors (we only got 31 points from the equivalent 18 games we have left)

b) The form of the other top teams has been poorer and United have played less games

but crucially

c) This time round we have avoided defeat in the so-called '6 pointers'.  Had we got 45 points in the exact same results as last time round we wouldn't be top at the moment.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #51: Jan 04, 2009 09:40:47 pm
      I dont know how to explain this season, been very dramatic and unorthodox. I still believe the reason for our position is simply because we have beaten our main rivals meaning that we are pushing ahead instead of them. Although we're not capitalising on these results by failing to beat Villa, fulham, West Ham etc. its much better than beating them and losing to Chelsea and Scum obviously.

The other thing that has played a part is Fernando and Steven being out for a while which wouldnt help our goal scoring stats at all. Robbie has hardly been a predator and no one adds that drive that Stevie does.

The thing i am baffled by is we have conceded more whereas last season we had to use Arbeloa and Hobbs before signing Martin and this season we have had Martin on fire with Jamie and then Danny stepping in nicely for Martin when he was out. Then again, i remember we had Dossena which paints a clearer picture as to why this has occured.

Give it 5 full seasons and i firmly believe we will be unbeatable.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #52: Jan 04, 2009 09:48:58 pm
      Its a funny old season compared to 05/06 we have 1 more point at this point in the season and are top compared to being 6th then, the main thing is we are top and the league title is in our own control
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,470 posts | 2857 
      Reply #53: Jan 04, 2009 09:58:24 pm
      we are top and the league title is in our own control

That's it.

Previously we've been playing catch up, now we are the ones setting the pace.

Still that doesn't hide the fact that the 31 points we claimed from the 18 matches must improve this time around.
      mormarijn
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #54: Jan 05, 2009 02:06:50 pm
      We broke Chelsea's homerecord!!!  8)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #55: Jan 05, 2009 02:10:12 pm
      TBH, i couldnt give a rats ass about season comparrison, were were we should be. I do beleive that we got more points in the league in 2001 than many of our league winning sides so.... its irrelevant
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,678 posts | 6974 
      Reply #56: Jan 06, 2009 12:03:00 pm
      TBH, i couldnt give a rats ass about season comparrison, were were we should be. I do beleive that we got more points in the league in 2001 than many of our league winning sides so.... its irrelevant

Indeed our performance in 2001 was better than I think 17 of our title winning seasons. Think it's in the Random Stats thread.

Our problem that season was that we didn't take the points off the others at the top hence why we didn't land the title.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #57: Jan 06, 2009 01:00:18 pm
      Indeed our performance in 2001 was better than I think 17 of our title winning seasons. Think it's in the Random Stats thread.

Our problem that season was that we didn't take the points off the others at the top hence why we didn't land the title.

We done that this year though so..... :) :) :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,678 posts | 6974 
      Reply #58: Jan 06, 2009 01:28:34 pm

2005/06 I meant - not the calendar year.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #59: Jan 08, 2009 08:23:14 pm
      2005/06 I meant - not the calendar year.

I shall refer the good sir to the point I made earlier

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,678 posts | 6974 
      Reply #60: Jan 20, 2009 02:33:22 pm
      Updated first post in the thread.

Match on match we are now 2 points down on last season, scoring 4 goals less and conceding 3 more goals

Not good.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,257 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #61: Jan 20, 2009 02:42:08 pm

Match on match we are now 2 points down on last season, scoring 4 goals less and conceding 3 more goals

Not good.
      And yet the season seems to be going "OK"!
      I guess it is just the others have fallen behind.
      Strange. Lets hope for a second half surge.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #62: Jan 20, 2009 02:46:26 pm
      Things doesn't look good for our future seasons.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #63: Jan 20, 2009 11:52:29 pm
      The key fact that bodes well for us is that over time we're nine points up on last season at this stage.We finished eleven off the pace last time out,surely this suggests improvement?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3373 
      Reply #64: Jan 21, 2009 12:33:13 am
      The key fact that bodes well for us is that over time we're nine points up on last season at this stage.We finished eleven off the pace last time out,surely this suggests improvement?

Yeah mate, it means we'll loose the league by 2 points this year and we're all meant to be over the moon with second.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #65: Jan 21, 2009 05:34:14 pm
      Yeah mate, it means we'll loose the league by 2 points this year and we're all meant to be over the moon with second.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious and I love the sarcasm , is that bit free?

If you want to think like that that's fine.What I meant is we lost by 11 points and we're already 9 up after 22 games so we'll have no problems winning the league if we continue the same progress why I said "at this stage".
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #66: Jan 21, 2009 05:54:47 pm
      Doesn't really matter anyway, this season is a lot different to last season, so many points are being dropped by the top 4 that it's quite unpredicatable what the outcome is going to be right now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,678 posts | 6974 
      Reply #67: Jan 29, 2009 12:34:34 am

v Team comparison

We are 4 points worse off - scoring 4 less goals and conceding 4 more compared to the same fixtures last season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,678 posts | 6974 
      Reply #68: Feb 04, 2009 12:00:27 am
      Updated.

Still 8 points up on the time comparison.

Only 2 points down on the match comparison.

Fingers crossed we can get a real boost against Portsmouth which will help both figures.

1) Last season our 25th match of the season was a draw (0-0 at Chelsea away)

and

2) Portsmouth (a) last year was a 0-0 draw for us.

If we do manage to win at the weekend we will also have taken 87 points from our last 38 Premiership games (a seasons worth).

Quick Reply