Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Liverpool v Standard Liege: Match Thread

Read 17564 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Liverpool v Standard Liege: Match Thread
      Reply #299: Aug 27, 2008 11:32:13 pm
      A lesson for ALL!

The only team that sucks is the team that lost! If you played your absolute best and still lost? your best was not good enough! So, you sucked.

We were great tonight because WE WON!
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #300: Aug 27, 2008 11:39:10 pm
      phew :-[
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #301: Aug 27, 2008 11:43:54 pm

Do we always need El Zhar and Babel in the squad to win? why dont we push them from the start.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #302: Aug 27, 2008 11:46:44 pm
      El Zhar reminds me of Flo when he use to come off the bench as a impact player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #303: Aug 27, 2008 11:48:32 pm
      El Zhar was great when he came on.

Him, Skrtel or Reina for MOTM for me.

I think carra should be in contention, he had a good solid game
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #304: Aug 27, 2008 11:53:46 pm
      Skrtel and reina are the reason we won today and against sunderland. want to see Skrtel against Villa. so he can kick the sh*te out of carew. dont think agger will be upto it. Skrtel is far superior then him when it comes to body strength.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #305: Aug 27, 2008 11:55:17 pm
      I thought Carra played equally as good as both Skrtel and Pepe. I think that trio really saved our asses. I hope Rafa will decide to stick with them for the time being and not rotate them in the next game.
      kenshin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #306: Aug 27, 2008 11:55:59 pm
      very dissapointed from todays game...  the only points of light in this match are Skyrtel and El Zhar, a very solid defender... grate game from him. El Zhar continue to impresse.. caused alot of troubel to the liege defence and brough a new life to a dead game.
      n
      El Zhar
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #307: Aug 28, 2008 12:12:56 am
      I think Babel and El Zhar must start the game on Villa this weekend.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #308: Aug 28, 2008 12:19:34 am

First off: Welcome to the forum, El Zhar.

I think you're right. El Zhar is one of the very few that put in a good display against Liege. Babel seemed to defy what people say about him, and hooked in a superb cross, thus allowiung Kuyt to score. But his performance up to that point was below-average.

Incidentally, not a relation of Nabil's are you? ::)
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #309: Aug 28, 2008 12:28:49 am

I think you are El Zhar with that comment :P

Anyways, with regards in tonights game we were very lucky tonight and thankfully got a vital goal. I thought Babel was awful tonight, from what I saw he only beat a defender once and that was the cross for the goal. Thought Skrtel and Pepe were outstanding :D part from that we can count ourselves fortunate to be through tonight and feel a bit sorry for Leige's fans not their gaffer though, thought he was a right kn0bhead and I dont know how many more games we can go on playing sh!t, pick it up for Sunday or we will get spanked!
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #310: Aug 28, 2008 12:32:28 am
      I think you are El Zhar with that comment :P

If he is El zhar who am I then? haha
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #311: Aug 28, 2008 12:33:20 am
      Right first off let's start on a positive note. Well done lads, you've came through a difficult tie and got Champions League football for the club for another year. Geniunely well done because over the two legs we didn't deserve it. Fantastic you didn't let your heads drop and again you've fought until the last minute to ensure a win. A special thanks to Pepe Reina who without we'd of been dead and burried in both legs because tonight he was faltless again, I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, Reina is the best keeper in the world. Next, Nabil El Zhar you were a real gem tonight lad. You showed exactly what you're capable of when you play. Keep it up. Babel and Kuyt deserve praise for the goal, both did extremely well for it. Babel for the bit of skill to go past his man twice and Kuyt for getting into the right position.

OK that's enough praise for what was a embarrassing performance. Anybody who went to that match deserves their money back. It was f***in shameful the way we played. We couldn't string more than five passes together. Gerrard was awful, every pass he smashed to the recieving player. The excuse of carrying an injury will come up, but an injury doesn't stop you from basic passing. Torres was poor tonight, nothing stuck with him. Robbie Keane has shown no justification of that price tag. I'll get onto Benayoun later because I've got it in for him tonight. Kuyt, other than the goal, was sh*t. No getting away from it. Again simple skills were missing. We find it difficult to play a five yard pass. The full backs were alright, nothing too special but did just enough to keep their places. Alonso, I've backed and backed him during this window over the Gareth Barry but his form this season is making me think we missed out the Villa player.

OK now unfortunately Yossi Benayoun is gonna take the brunt of my criticism. He just isn't good enough. It's as simple as that. He constantly gave the ball away far too cheaply. His defensive work might as well not exist. He doesn't offer us anything. This year we've scored six goals, every one of them has been when Benayoun hasn't been on the pitch. For somebody to have started all four games but not be on the pitch for one goal is a disgrace. The only game he's completed 90 minutes was in Belgium and that ended 0-0. I know he's a popular player and will get plenty of support on here but he's not up to Liverpool's standard. I've no problem people backing a player who deserves it, but Benayoun doesn't. I don't wanna single players out because tonight was another bad team performance but unfortunately Benayoun's performances this year haven't been good enough and tonight just tipped me over the edge. He's sh*te.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #312: Aug 28, 2008 12:33:43 am
      Right....

You are El Zhar the other ones your dad :D
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #313: Aug 28, 2008 12:39:13 am

El Zhar with reserves ;)

our wee Moroccan is doing so well :) Moroccan skills, btw I am Moroccan ;D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #314: Aug 28, 2008 12:41:20 am
      OK now unfortunately Yossi Benayoun is gonna take the brunt of my criticism. He just isn't good enough. It's as simple as that. He constantly gave the ball away far too cheaply. His defensive work might as well not exist. He doesn't offer us anything. This year we've scored six goals, every one of them has been when Benayoun hasn't been on the pitch. For somebody to have started all four games but not be on the pitch for one goal is a disgrace. The only game he's completed 90 minutes was in Belgium and that ended 0-0. I know he's a popular player and will get plenty of support on here but he's not up to Liverpool's standard. I've no problem people backing a player who deserves it, but Benayoun doesn't. I don't wanna single players out because tonight was another bad team performance but unfortunately Benayoun's performances this year haven't been good enough and tonight just tipped me over the edge. He's sh*te.

I agree DLS, Benayoun just doesn't cut it. Like Pennant, people will be in two-minds about him - he's good on his day. But also like Pennant, he is very inconsistent with his play, which is very frustrating. But we also have to keep in mind that he was playing with some big guys today, and Yossi doesn't have the build or strength to match them.

In a situation like this, ask yourself what you'd do. Would you start Babel straight after he's come home from the Olympics? Or would you start Yossi who has had a great pre-season but is very inconsistent? I think Rafa made the right choice tonight, to be fair, but I still stand by my opinion of Yossi. Sorry, lad.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #315: Aug 28, 2008 12:47:31 am
      Res, I can't disagree Benayoun looked good in pre-season because he did, but people will say "so did Voronin". Last season Benayoun got double figures in terms of goals, again that's sound, can't really complain. But you (generally, not you personally) can't f***in live off the past. Benayon's performances in competitive football this season haven't been good enough to make a League 1 side. Benitez was very happy to drop Alonso and Agger after the game in Belgium. He was happy to drop Dossena tonight. He's got to stop being so blind and see Benayoun just isn't cutting it this year.

Personally I would of played Babel left wing tonight because he's had his rest after the Olympics. Benitez knew we needed to win, we needed players who would create chances or take chances. Benayoun this year doesn't look able to do either. If he's picked for the Villa game then I think some serious questions have got to be asked of Benitez' selection policy.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #316: Aug 28, 2008 12:52:01 am
      Jesus... Embarrassed, frustrated, irritated and veeeery relieved!!!! :)

Reina, Skrtel, El Zhar being named..... I'll add Arbeloa.

When is the draw tomorrow? 17? 18?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #317: Aug 28, 2008 12:53:15 am
      Res, I can't disagree Benayoun looked good in pre-season because he did, but people will say "so did Voronin". Last season Benayoun got double figures in terms of goals, again that's sound, can't really complain. But you (generally, not you personally) can't f***in live off the past. Benayon's performances in competitive football this season haven't been good enough to make a League 1 side. Benitez was very happy to drop Alonso and Agger after the game in Belgium. He was happy to drop Dossena tonight. He's got to stop being so blind and see Benayoun just isn't cutting it this year.

Personally I would of played Babel left wing tonight because he's had his rest after the Olympics. Benitez knew we needed to win, we needed players who would create chances or take chances. Benayoun this year doesn't look able to do either. If he's picked for the Villa game then I think some serious questions have got to be asked of Benitez' selection policy.

I understand, mate. I don't think Yossi should be picked for Villa, but rather the smaller, weaker teams (i.e. Hull, WBA, Stoke) to raise his game. That way we don't risk losing a result, and Yossi gains some vital experience and knowledge. He's been with us for over a year now, and I have seen some improvement ... but not enough. However, as long as he wears that red jersey, I will always support him 100%.
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #318: Aug 28, 2008 12:54:17 am

it s 100% plenalty

http://www.zshare.net/video/17752446c8fca98f/

watch it again

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #319: Aug 28, 2008 12:55:55 am
      Don't get me wrong Res, I'll support Benayoun to the heavens if he's playing like I do every player but I'd rather not see him play on current form.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #320: Aug 28, 2008 01:00:03 am
      I understand, mate. I don't think Yossi should be picked for Villa, but rather the smaller, weaker teams (i.e. Hull, WBA, Stoke) to raise his game. That way we don't risk losing a result, and Yossi gains some vital experience and knowledge. He's been with us for over a year now, and I have seen some improvement ... but not enough. However, as long as he wears that red jersey, I will always support him 100%.

We should have cashed in on him this summer.  He isn't half the player Luis Garcia was, and he's the player he replaced.

A step backwards.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #321: Aug 28, 2008 01:02:28 am
      JD is not a happy bunny tonight, god help us if we lose. ;)

Find meself agreeing with you though mate, he isn't any better than Garcia. I just wish I knew what Benitez has seen in him this season to keep him in the side.

Quick Reply