Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Gerrard to be charged with affray

Read 36498 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Gerrard Arrested For Alleged Assault!!
      Reply #46: Dec 30, 2008 12:34:44 pm
      Good post Glenbuck.

Not only has a case not reached court yet, but Steven Gerrard has not been convicted of any crime, neither have the other 5 men.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #47: Dec 30, 2008 12:41:17 pm
      3 have been released haven't they?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #48: Dec 30, 2008 12:43:30 pm
      The fans have to support him all the way.

Especially in the Merseyside Derby.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #49: Dec 30, 2008 12:45:14 pm
      From The Echo

Liverpool FC star Gerrard on assault rap

STEVEN Gerrard was charged with assault this morning after a nightclub brawl in Southport.

The 28-year-old Liverpool captain was held in police custody for 20 hours after the early-morning disturbance at The Lounge Inn.

Local businessman Marcus McGee lost a tooth and had stitches for cuts to his face.

Gerrard was out with friends celebrating Liverpool’s 5-1 defeat of Newcastle.

At around midnight last night police confirmed they had formally charged Gerrard with assault and affray.

John Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, and Ian Gerard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue, both Huyton, also face assault and affray charges.

All three are due to appear before North Sefton magistrates in Southport on January 23.

Two men, aged 33 and 31 from Huyton, were released on police bail pending further inquiries.

Accrington Stanley FC winger Bobby Grant, 18, from Litherland, was also released on bail pending further inquiries.

Mr McKee is believed to be a regular customer at the Lounge Inn and had informal access to the music decks.

The ECHO can confirm a dispute broke out after a song request was turned down.

At some stage a bottle was smashed over the head or face of the 34-year-old victim, but not by Gerrard.

Yesterday reporters and photographers were camped outside Mr McGee’s home in Churchtown.

The businessman, who has a long-term partner and two daughters, had a bandage or plaster over part of his face.

He is said to have franchises in a number of companies including a windows and loft business.

Liverpool FC has still not commented on their captain’s arrest.

The manager of the Lounge Inn also declined to comment.

The bar remained closed yesterday but there was evidence of a fight inside, with shards of glass scattered on tables and blood on the floor.

The nightspot, run by Dario Curcillo and Mack Naidoo, is a popular haunt for celebrities.

A relation of Mr Curcillo said: “Steven is a frequent customer and is friendly with Dario, my brother-in-law.

“This is a family place and very quiet and exclusive.

“I don’t know what happened, but it’s very unfortunate and very surprising.”

Gerrard was out celebrating with friends after a brilliant performance for Liverpool against Newcastle earlier that day.

The footballer was out with friends from Huyton, where he grew up, and earlier visited the Continental restaurant at the Vincent Hotel on busy Lord Street.

The Lounge Inn is the new name of the former Pineapple Park which hit the headlines as the setting for an attempted murder by a hitman in 1991.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #50: Dec 30, 2008 12:47:33 pm
      Reassuring to hear that Gerrard himself didn't use a weapon.
      sckinny
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | -13 
      Reply #51: Dec 30, 2008 12:50:06 pm
      Can anyone explain to me why Premiership footballers (in general) keep putting themselves in situations where incidents occur, which require police intervention.

I totally understand that they 'must' have a life, relax with friends and fun - but they seem incapable of avoiding trouble. It doesn't matter if it's women or fighting these guys just get sucked in... I can't understand why the clubs and the players don't take more responsibility. I now believe that they must have security entourages, similar to those that surround sports stars in the US.

In this most recent incident Gerrard should never have been allowed to get into a position where he could have been physically attacked, or where he could have become involved in an alleged attack. It seems clear that he should have been protected. This goes for other footballers too, including everything from women to dodgy investments.

Having spent time in the US, in LA in particular, sports stars are very hard to reach if you are a member of the public. They all employ security staff and this results with them being well looked after in clubs and bars that understand the value of these famous guests. True, some issues still arise but in 95% of the cases the talent is shielded. The sports stars teams also regulate and evaluate the clubs their players can visit, controlling their exposure to hostile supporters (not as bad as here, BTW) and other external influences.

Back here, in London I have spent quality time in venues with the Arsenal players and they receive unbelievable abuse and taunts - I assume this is the same throughout the UK... So, I've seen the way these guys have to act and it's completely unrealistic to expect them to handle this on their own. It's about time everyone grew up and realized that footballers need to be protected and helped away from the pitch.

I know there is support from agents but these guys are employed to largely promote the players and have little regard for their social circumstances - again I have been fortunate to witness this first hand.

Its's only a matter of time before things get really out of hand, think death, kidnapping etc. Don't think it won't happen. I mean, we never imagined that we'd be reading about Gerrard, of all people having been arrested and charged. Would we???      
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: Gerrard released, and charged with assault
      Reply #52: Dec 30, 2008 12:59:21 pm
      From The Telegraph

By Richard Bright
      Last Updated: 12:53AM GMT 30 Dec 2008

Steven Gerrard released from custody after questioning over alleged brawl

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is unlikely to face a Football Association or club charge following his arrest in a Merseyside bar.

Gerrard - who was released by police at 11.25 last night - has been arrested with five other men after an alleged brawl in a Southport night club, during which a man suffered facial injuries and was taken to hospital. The row allegedly began over the choice of music being played in the bar.

The England player, who was thought to be out celebrating his club's 5-1 win over Newcastle on Sunday, is expected to be free to lead his side out to face Preston in the FA Cup next weekend, unless he is rested by manager Rafael Benitez. No other Liverpool players are thought to be among those being interviewed by police.

The FA and Liverpool have so far declined to comment but they are expected to treat this as a personal matter for Gerrard.

Liverpool lead the Premier League and after scoring two goals against Newcastle, Gerrard said that it was important to deal with the pressures that came with a title challenge.

Gerrard has been a key part of Liverpool's push for a first title in almost 20 years, having scored eight Premier League goals this season. He has also been an influential member of Fabio Capello's reinvigorated England side, who have made an unbeaten start to their World Cup qualifying campaign.

The midfielder has previously made the headlines over off-the-pitch events.

At the end of last year, Gerrard's wife, Alex Curran, was held as masked men burgled their house while he was on Champions League duty.

Yawn. End of that bollocks then I assume.
      can't believe the negative horseshit thats being bandied around here,how close is it to libel? but then these vultures have got it to a skill in stopping at the direct accusation.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #53: Dec 30, 2008 01:10:58 pm
      nobody on here was there so nobody on here knows what happened. Who's to say the lad who got bottled wasn't giving it lip about Stevies wife? Stevie as far as I know has an impeccable record with the police so hopefully a fine and maybe community service will be his lot at the end of the day. Its good to hear he didnt use the weapon tho.

As for the derby game well hes been there target for years now with there vile songs about his family so im sure hell be able for anything they throw at him but we could beat them without him anyway so maybe leave him out of it?
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #54: Dec 30, 2008 01:15:40 pm
      along as his community service is not on a saturday we will be fine
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #55: Dec 30, 2008 01:17:14 pm
      along as his community service is not on a saturday we will be fine

They usually allow footballers do that kind of thing close season I think
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #56: Dec 30, 2008 01:19:52 pm
      They usually allow footballers do that kind of thing close season I think
      [/quote

In Dubai
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #57: Dec 30, 2008 01:20:18 pm
      If the fact that he is said to have assaulted the DJ is true, to what extent? A pat on the back?

None of us really knew what happened. There is not enough information out there. Arrested - Released - Charged - is not enough. Hopefully some witnesses will appear and speak the truth. I really don't think Stevie would start trouble unless he's been provoked. Till the court hearing, Stevie is innocent.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #58: Dec 30, 2008 01:21:33 pm
      If the fact that he is said to have assaulted the DJ is true, to what extent? A pat on the back?

None of us really knew what happened. There is not enough information out there. Arrested - Released - Charged - is not enough. Hopefully some witnesses will appear and speak the truth. I really don't think Stevie would start trouble unless he's been provoked. Till the court hearing, Stevie is innocent.

Isnt Southport bandit land -mancs and bitters- if so cant see too many witnesses backing him up
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #59: Dec 30, 2008 01:27:04 pm
      Sckinny i totally agree mate sports stars especially premier league footballers that are on so much F***ing money should fork out for personal security entourages. I have seen numerous times here in Australia rugby league players cop so much sh*t from the public because they are easily approachable at bars and club and it often results in either verbal or physical abuse.

As for the actual charge I dont think Stevie will get community service probably a nice fine and an apology to dish out. I speak from experience because a few years ago me and a mate got into a fight outside a club and both had an affray and assault charge pinned against us. Given that the assault was provoked (in this case we dont know if it was but i am 99.9% certain that it was as Gerrard is not a thug) and it was a a first offence for both of us we got a warning and a $170 court processing fee.

I have just been rocked all day by this I understand Stevie is human and all and we all make mistakes but I am gutted at the timing of all this. I know nothing has been lost or dismantled yet but for the first time in years we have everyone looking up to us everything seemed to be moving toward perfection from a supportes perspective ( despite ownership and stadium problems) in terms of our actual football. I hope this does not rock the club I think we have the right people in the club in Rafa, coaches and Jamie to support Stevie and overcome this.

I know i sound like a worried wally but this news has been swimming through my head the whole bloody day, just had to get a few things off my chest.
      powerglide
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #60: Dec 30, 2008 01:30:34 pm
      Hope he doesn't get to mutch s I t e about this we need him mentally fit ass well ass fascicle fit Y.N.W.A.STEVIE G.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #61: Dec 30, 2008 01:35:53 pm
      I know I sound like a worried wally but this news has been swimming through my head the whole bloody day, just had to get a few things off my chest.

Yeah, you're not alone. It's been in my mind all along. I was like 'Why Stevie?'

I heard the DJ was a United fan.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #62: Dec 30, 2008 01:36:48 pm
      I don't know what the hell is going on with the incident itself, all I can say is that Gerrard just doesn't seem the kind of person to start a fight unprovoked. Of course he'll stick up for himself, as we all have a right to do, but I don't think he'd go looking for a scrap. Therefore I won't comment on the incident itself but rather it's repercussions.

So what's the situation in terms of whether Stevie can play in the coming weeks? Is he allowed to play when on bail? I'm gutted this has happened now, with us flying so high, and I bet Stevie is beating himself up over it, knowing he might have scuppered our title hopes if charges stick.

But knowing that he isn't a thug, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome and a complete clearing of his name.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #63: Dec 30, 2008 01:43:23 pm
      LFC statement:

Liverpool Football Club today pledged its full support to skipper Steven Gerrard following the events of the past 48 hours.
      A statement from the club said: "Steven has been an outstanding servant to Liverpool for the last 10 years and the club will give him all the support he needs at this time."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162692081230-1208.htm

I should bloody well think so as well  ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #64: Dec 30, 2008 01:47:01 pm
      He's the captain of the team and a role model to everyone else. He'll know to not do unnecessary things that may tarnish his image. I have a question, was he drunk? I know he's not a big drinker and doesn't usually stay out late.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #65: Dec 30, 2008 01:55:49 pm
      Seeing as this topic is going pretty much nowhere, and some people are rambling off about Premiership Footballers in general, and already offering character witnesses for Steven it is once again being locked until further details emerge.

All I can add is that looking back at Craig Bellamy, his case took around 9 months to go to court.
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2006/bellamy-cleared-after-court-case/

Summary so far of the FACTS.

1. Gerrard had club permission to be out celebrating the win.
      2. A total of 6 individuals including Gerrard were initially arrested.
      3. 3 men, including Gerrard have been released from custody but charged with assault and affray following an alleged incident at the Lounge Inn.
      4. 1 fella released, the other two out on bail pending further investigations.
      5. Those charged will attend North Sefton magistrates court on the 23rd January.
      6. The club have issued a statement supporting the player.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #66: Dec 31, 2008 04:23:01 pm
      Was back in training today.

Had met with Dalglish and Marina earlier on Sunday night discussing charity work.

Rafa has offered his support, and the FA have said his international career will not be affected.

Friends reported to have said he is 'determined to clear his name, and spent most of yesterday soul-searching.'
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #67: Dec 31, 2008 04:35:30 pm
      Topic unlocked.  Idle speculation on the events of the evening will be deleted as will ramblings on about Premiership players in general. 

This thread is for discussion surrounding the media articles published and general reaction to the ongoing investigation.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #68: Dec 31, 2008 04:55:38 pm
      Stevie is model proffesional for me and unlikely will be affected much by this.

Idle speculation removed

Hope everything goes Stevie's way. I just love him(not in a gay way) and I'm gutted about this incident but will support him 100%.
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2008 05:56:25 pm by JD »

Quick Reply