Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

PFA Awards 2009

Read 12437 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      PFA Awards 2009
      Apr 14, 2009 01:09:19 pm
      Here are the nominations:
      PFA Players' Player of the Year contenders:

Rio Ferdinand - Manchester United
      Steven Gerrard - Liverpool
      Ryan Giggs - Manchester United
      Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United
      Edwin van der Sar - Manchester United
      Nemanja Vidic - Manchester United

PFA Young Player of the Year contenders:

Gabriel Agbonlahor - Aston Villa
      Jonny Evans - Manchester United
      Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
      Aaron Lennon - Tottenham Hotspur
      Rafael - Manchester United
      Ashley Young - Aston Villa

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5187230,00.html

What an absolute joke. Alonso should be in there definately and to be fair to Lampard I think he's had a really good season and should be in there too. There's others aswell.

As for young player, how is Rafael in there despite playing about 5 games? I would say Arsenal's Denilson should definately be in there, he has done a great job in the absence of Fabregas.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: PFA Awards 2009
      Reply #1: Apr 14, 2009 01:26:04 pm
      Steven Gerrard has been nominated for the PFA Players' Player of the Year.
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164010090414-1309.htm

The Liverpool skipper is the only non-Manchester United player on the six-man shortlist and joins Edwin van der Sar, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and last year's winner Cristiano Ronaldo in the running for the honour.

Gerrard, who won the award in 2006, has been in sensational form for the Reds this season, with the 28-year-old netting 21 goals.

Speaking about Gerrard's nomination, PFA Chief Executive Gordon Taylor said: "Steven has been a personal favourite of mine for a long time now and I have the utmost respect and admiration for the way he continues to go about his business, as an influential midfield player, a talisman if you like, for club and country.

"I remember when he won the Young Player of the Year award in 2001 he told me that, whilst he was proud to win that particular award, he would not be satisfied until he had won the main prize, and that said a lot about his ambition and dedication.

"He went on to win the Players’ Player award in 2006 and fully deserves to be amongst the nominees again this year.

"He is not only a top class player and captain, he is a top class lad too and a credit to his profession.

"He is a real Roy of the Rovers performer who, on so many occasions when Liverpool have perhaps looked down and out, he has pulled them through virtually single-handed and I don’t think many people would argue with the comments made by Zinedine Zidane that Steve is the best midfield player in the world."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask me, I think he deserves it more than the other 5.  Probably expected most of them to be Mancs anyway.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Apr 14, 2009 01:26:36 pm
      Just saw the nominees for the PFA player of the year, I'm stunned and to be honest disgusted, here is the list - Gerrard, Giggs, Ronaldo, Van de Sar, Vidic, is this meant to be a joke where is Alonso what about Torres if Ronaldo is there, Van de Sar(what!) this list is beyond belief and has being completely media led, Giggs has being average at best this season even utd fans think he is past it, he hasn't played a good match in months.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #3: Apr 14, 2009 01:39:02 pm
      Yeah
      Xabi Alonso sure be in there. Though Chelsea had a shaky season not long ago, Frank Lampard deserves to be there as well.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 14, 2009 01:43:57 pm
      Just got it from sky,5 united players and I would say only 1 deserves to be there.What a f**king joke!Gerrard will take it anyway.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2009 01:47:52 pm by Bpatel »
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #5: Apr 14, 2009 01:44:59 pm
      Stevie is the winner by a mile for me, witout bias and purely merited. If Van DS is there ,what about Pepe? Typical P.F.A utd arse licking! No seriously , credit where it's due, But what about some credit for our boys who are at the very least the equal of these lot. For me this 'GREAT' utd team has not been tested anywhere near enough. Teams are beaten before they go out on the pitch in a lot of cases. We have all seen what can happen to this team when a side has a real go at them without fear, don't look like such world beaters then , do they? ;D

Im even a bit surprised that they haven't put that Mancheda in the young players list!! He has had a couple of touches of a ball hasn't he?  ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2009 01:50:55 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Merged your two posts. »
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #6: Apr 14, 2009 02:03:34 pm
      VDS? Really, what has he done this season? I know he has gone for the world record but please, that is a collective team effort and not just him and himself alone. It is the effort of the team that allows VDS to keep clean sheets so definitely there was a little biasedness when you put him in. Ronaldo? An absolute joke, I have had enough nonsense of him being tactically sound, mixing flair with intelligence and what not. Yes, the top scorer in the premier league again, but shouldn't this mean that Anelka should be in the shortlist also?

Giggs? When he has played around a dozen games for the club this season. Vidic? When his form has been real shaky since we mauled them by scoring 4 goals. Right, I have had enough of this complete bollocks don't you think so as well? Theres definitely plain biasedness, we are up there with the mancs at the moment and they've got 5 on the list and we've only got Gerrard?

Considering Giggs played a dozen games, then why Torres isnt inside? Definitely a mile better than him.  Why Alonso isnt there? Carra, Skrtel no? The fact that we have the nearly the same amount of points as them definitely does not make this list look any better.

Insua, at a tender age of 20, not included in Young Players list? I'm sure Rafael played less games than him.

Well, a definite letdown list this one. The players that have consistently performed for us not in there and the players who do not deserve it are in there!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Apr 14, 2009 02:14:16 pm
      To be honest Mark Schwarzer has been a mile better than Van Der sh*te this season.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #8: Apr 14, 2009 02:33:19 pm
      Unbelievable isn't it.

The only reason there are 5 mancs is because they're top of the league and the only reason man u are still ahead of us is because they fluked 6 points in their last 2 games, from which they would have been lucky to get 2 draws.

Man u have been extremely lucky this season.

I'd say vidic is the only contender from their team. How Alonso and lampard both missed out i don't know and how the hell is ronaldo in there???
      Such a whinging b***ard, everyone has seen his true colours this season, with all the tantrums he's thrown when things aren't going his way.

For me Skrtel has been immense this season and Van der sar has looked incredibly dodgey.

It's a case of sheep following all these daft comments that giggs (the player who hasn't completed 90 minutes for man u on more than 3 occasions) has been player of the season and that van der sar was the reason they kept a clean sheet in those consecutive matches. Man u were playing sh*t teams who were too afraid of attacking and going for a goal and as soon as someone did (blackburn) they scored and were amazingly unlucky not to win or even draw (remember it was the game where fergie ripped into pedersen for diving when he was clearly pulled back infront of goal and ronaldo scored the winner when he should've been sent off minutes earlier for kicking out at a blackburn player on the floor)

Anyone else agree that the 6 player shortlist should look like this:

Xabi Alonso
      Steven Gerrard
      Frank Lampard
      Martin Skrtel
      Robin Van Persie
      Nemanja Vidic

That looks like a much fairer shortlist to me.

Gerrard has to be the clear winner but you just know it'll be either Giggs or Vidic, because no-one pays attention to the performances or has their own opinion, they just listen to what the pundits say and copy them.

Unbelievable, just unbelievable.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #9: Apr 14, 2009 02:42:00 pm
      If Giggs is there why isn't Yossi? Going into a full strength United team and scoring one goal against West Ham is better than filling in for Steven Gerrard and scoring against Real Madrid and Fulham (which no manc managed to do)!

And even Cahill should be there before Ronaldo! Let alone Xabi!

I swear they said "Fergie you can pick 5 nominees and everyone else can vote for one!" Ridiculous!
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 14, 2009 03:08:44 pm
      wtf

how the fook is giggs there? is this the oap awards or something

what an absolute joke
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #11: Apr 14, 2009 03:09:16 pm
      What the hell is van der Sar, Vidic and Giggs doing there? Van der Sar has some clean sheets. Does that make him a good player? Vidic has 2 red cards. Does that make him great? I think that Cara is much better then him. And Giggs? What did he do so great this seson to be there? Nothing. It looks like that you need to play for man u to be there. If you play for a 'lesser' club than man u than you can just dream abbout getting there.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #12: Apr 14, 2009 03:15:05 pm
      By the way i think there should be one man from manchester who gets a PFA award.

Stephen Ireland ;D

He deserves the young player award
      jobpie
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #13: Apr 14, 2009 03:17:07 pm
      Our Skipper surley needs to get this Award.

Y is there still a shortlist
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Apr 14, 2009 03:24:09 pm
      PFA Players' Player of the Year contenders:

Rio Ferdinand - Manchester United - c**t. Doesn't deserve it. Has done nothing worth shouting about this season.
      Steven Gerrard - Liverpool - Has been top-drawer this season, I should imagine he'd be the favourite.
      Ryan Giggs - Manchester United - To be fair to Giggs, he's a phenomenal player and can score from nothing. His age has not hampered him in any way, either. A true sportsman.
      Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United - c**t. Again, done nothing of importance this season and should be written off immediately.
      Edwin van der Sar - Manchester United - c**t. Okay, has the clean-sheets record - but that's mainly due to other teams thinking United were unstoppable.
      Nemanja Vidic - Manchester United - Has been superb defensively this season (our game aside of course ;)). Wouldn't complain if he did win it.

PFA Young Player of the Year contenders:

Gabriel Agbonlahor - Aston Villa - Has scared oppositions' defences at some stage or another this season, and is always a threat.
      Jonny Evans - Manchester United - Sorry. But ... what?! He's had very few appearences this season, and none of them have been against the so-called "big teams".
      Stephen Ireland - Manchester City - Has been invisible as of late, but his showing earlier in the season has made me think he'll be world-class very soon.
      Aaron Lennon - Tottenham Hotspur - Consistent all through the season thus far. A very good player - I'd love for Rafa to buy him.
      Rafael - Manchester United - If Rafael is here where the hell is Insua?! Has had about 4 apps so far, and you cannot judge someone on so few showings.
      Ashley Young - Aston Villa - Has linked up extremely well with Agbonlahor, and is always a threat down that left wing. An asset to England.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #15: Apr 14, 2009 03:54:31 pm
      Total Joke, but what do we expect from the PFA.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #16: Apr 14, 2009 04:07:00 pm
      Good post reslivo i completely agree with everything except the part about giggs.
      Yes, he's played well coming off the bench this season but you can't be one of the favourites for pfa player of the season based on a few good appearances from the bench. No matter how good you play in the last half hour of a game, you can't say you've been the best when there's players who have completed every minute of the season (more or less).
      If giggs really was as good as all the sheep are saying, why hasn't fergie started him more often this season?
      If he played for any other team he wouldn't even dream of winning it.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #17: Apr 14, 2009 04:21:57 pm
      Why is Rio Ferdinand on that list? Don't you think Skrtel or Hangeland should make it before him? Ferdinand probably looks good because he had Vidic,who has been immense this season except against Liverpool beside him.

I also think Frank Lampard and Robin van Persie should be there.

Stephen Ireland has been really great this season too even though there was the arrival of Robinho.
      kingkennyb
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 14, 2009 04:43:53 pm
      5 mancs is a disgrace and it looks bad too.

Makes it look like the internal Man U player of the season awards.

For me Tim Cahill has been sensational for the toffees all season. I would also give a nod to Lampard who in all truth is a great player. Vidic would be the only manc on the list and even then I would not hand him the award.

I would say it is toss up between Vidic and Stevie G.

They might give it to a defender though.

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #19: Apr 14, 2009 04:50:36 pm
      Why is Rio Ferdinand on that list? Don't you think Skrtel or Hangeland should make it before him?

HANGELAND :)
      I knew i was forgetting someone. He's been absolutely brilliant all season.
      But oh wait, imagine a fulham player being nominated for the PFA player of the season award.
      Unthinkable to the tools that make the shortlist
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #20: Apr 14, 2009 04:51:46 pm
      Pure sh*te.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #21: Apr 14, 2009 04:52:32 pm
      How the hell can you nominate the best players before the season ends? Thats like giving the oscar having only watched the trailer!
      Typical. In this day and age with the way technology has advanced I'm pretty sure they could organise the nominations in a efficient manner more appropriate for the 21st century.

Van der Sar and Giggs!? Great players sure but the award is for the season and not a lifetime achievement award!
      Vidic...one word...Capitulation.
      Rio...actually shows how much Vidic needed him in order ro look good.
      Stevie...typically emphatic season...so far.

mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #22: Apr 14, 2009 04:52:50 pm
      Considering there are 5 mancs in this list, won't everybody at United have to vote for Gerrard seeing as they can't vote for their own? ;)

Quick Reply