Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who played the best today?

Pepe Reina
      (0.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (14.2%)
      Jose Enrique
      (6.7%)
      Jay Spearing
      (20.9%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (10.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (8.2%)
      Stewart Downing
      (5.2%)
      Luis Suarez
      (28.4%)
      Other
      (5.2%)

Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal: In-Game and Post Match Frustration

Read 54168 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal: In-Game and Post Match Frustration
      Reply #759: Mar 03, 2012 09:37:06 pm
      What's depressing, HTH, is we knew we had a severe scoring problem leading up to the January window and sat on our hands. That is as unacceptable to me as much as anything else. We had seen over a long period before xmas we were desperate for a finisher. If we were determined to get 4th we'd have gone out and signed someone like Huntelaar, who could be taken from a club like Schalke.

I agree completely. All through the January window I kept thinking it will be okay, we'll sign a striker. Even after Kenny said towards the end of the window that there would be no activity, I thought that was just a smokescreen. I was baffled by the comments that he was happy with what we have. It may be that our targets couldn't be prised away from the respective clubs or the fees being quoted were too high, I guess we'll never know.

At the risk of repeating myself, we desperately need a goalscorer in the Summer.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #760: Mar 03, 2012 09:43:27 pm
      I agree completely. All through the January window I kept thinking it will be okay, we'll sign a striker. Even after Kenny said towards the end of the window that there would be no activity, I thought that was just a smokescreen. I was baffled by the comments that he was happy with what we have. It may be that our targets couldn't be prised away from the respective clubs or the fees being quoted were too high, I guess we'll never know.

At the risk of repeating myself, we desperately need a goalscorer in the Summer.

I was the same in January. I had the gut feeling we would never get 4th if we didn't sign a quality goalscorer.

The worry for the summer is will Kenny have the common sense to spend big for a Falcao or Huntelaar or will he go British again and go for the likes of Bent. If he does we will struggle for 4th again next year.  His British buys have not improved the team.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #761: Mar 03, 2012 09:54:26 pm
      I was the same in January. I had the gut feeling we would never get 4th if we didn't sign a quality goalscorer.

The worry for the summer is will Kenny have the common sense to spend big for a Falcao or Huntelaar or will he go British again and go for the likes of Bent. If he does we will struggle for 4th again next year.  His British buys have not improved the team.

Many were bought for potential weren't they?  And Bellamy???

Kenny won't buy Bent.  Bent is an awful player.  I am still gutted we lost today as it was so unjust but I feel more philsophical now.  Even if we got 4th, we're not ready for the CL.  I would be very happy to win the FA cup though.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #762: Mar 03, 2012 09:59:05 pm
      RS, you're right about that.

Even if we do qualify for Europe, we may not be ready for it like someone else posted we might struggle in the qualifying rounds or even do crap in the group stage.

But then again, if we do finish 4th, there's a higher potential to attract better quality players.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #763: Mar 03, 2012 10:01:35 pm
      Many were bought for potential weren't they?  And Bellamy???

Kenny won't buy Bent.  Bent is an awful player.  I am still gutted we lost today as it was so unjust but I feel more philsophical now.  Even if we got 4th, we're not ready for the CL.  I would be very happy to win the FA cup though.

Bellamy was free so he was no risk. The others cost nearly a combined £80m and haven't improved the team. A team needs to get more than potential for that much money. I'd bet in two years only Henderson will still be at the club.

As for Bent, I agree. It would be a huge mistake to even consider him for Anfield.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #764: Mar 03, 2012 10:14:47 pm
      Missed the game due to work so just waiting on the highlights but sounds like we again played quite well but just couldn't finish chances and get the result.

Disappointing.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #765: Mar 03, 2012 11:05:50 pm
      A positive you can take from the season is we have dominated, city, man u, arseanal, Chelsea were up there with the best. People talk about our midfield being bad just imagine how goals RVP would of got this year for us about 40. Just need a striker, we dont have one good enough. Suarez is a CF and Carroll isnt sh*te but should really be only be playing cup games and a few PM games until he is the right man for the job which i believe will happen.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #766: Mar 03, 2012 11:19:03 pm
      If we just put goals away like we did tail end of last season, we would be right up there at the business end.

I'm hoping this is the stepping stone for next season.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #767: Mar 03, 2012 11:22:14 pm
      I'm hoping this is the stepping stone for next season.

It's kind of how I see it mate.

We're not that far away and for better finishing and luck in front if goal we would be much higher up the table.

One or two quality additions in the summer added to a fully fit Lucas then we should see more from this squad next season.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #768: Mar 03, 2012 11:24:11 pm
      It's kind of how I see it mate.

We're not that far away and for better finishing and luck in front if goal we would be much higher up the table.

One or two quality additions in the summer added to a fully fitted Lucas then we should see more from this squad next season.

I honestly think our current squad is showing massive promise. I actually just think a top quality striker would be enough. I kind of expect us to buy another midfielder as well though maybe...
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack

• 266 posts |
      Reply #769: Mar 03, 2012 11:57:57 pm
      Kenny needs to change his ways or this will continue for the rest of the season. The players are there, you can't change them so play with them. The substitutions keep costing us. Least if we see the changes we know you are doing your all.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #770: Mar 04, 2012 12:06:17 am
      Kenny needs to change his ways or this will continue for the rest of the season. The players are there, you can't change them so play with them. The substitutions keep costing us. Least if we see the changes we know you are doing your all.

I bet you weren't saying that on Sunday.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #771: Mar 04, 2012 12:19:56 am
      What's depressing, HTH, is we knew we had a severe scoring problem leading up to the January window and sat on our hands. That is as unacceptable to me as much as anything else. We had seen over a long period before xmas we were desperate for a finisher.

Bang On and now Comolli is saying that we aint doing  much in the coming Summer window either.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #772: Mar 04, 2012 12:30:51 am
      Gutted!
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack

• 266 posts |
      Reply #773: Mar 04, 2012 12:34:35 am
      I bet you weren't saying that on Sunday.
      my friend I was worried about Sunday. Championship sides play hi temp footy, especially Cardiff. I was very cautious. I'm saying Kenny's is awful with his subs , does this mean I'm a Kenny hater or basher. Buddy it's obvious by now. We have played great footy the hole season at anfield but we keep drawing and we keep leaving changes til the last minute. It's not rocket science.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #774: Mar 04, 2012 12:46:22 am
      my friend I was worried about Sunday. Championship sides play hi temp footy, especially Cardiff. I was very cautious. I'm saying Kenny's is awful with his subs , does this mean I'm a Kenny hater or basher. Buddy it's obvious by now. We have played great footy the hole season at anfield but we keep drawing and we keep leaving changes til the last minute. It's not rocket science.

Sorry, I didn't see that blindingly obvious solution to our goalscoring problems!

You seriously think bringing Bellamy and Carroll on earlier would have guaranteed us the points today?

There's never a 100% right or wrong answer. The team were creating chances, what was wrong with keeping the players on the pitch?
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #775: Mar 04, 2012 12:50:56 am
      Espically when you live in Australia.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      Reply #776: Mar 04, 2012 12:55:24 am
      Espically when you live in Australia.

???

Ummm, anyway...are we ever gonna take our F***ing chances in front of goal? Should have been 4 up a half time and game over.

2 F***ing chances RVP had and he put them in the back of the net. We need a Star striker in the Summer, one who wants to be here and take us to the summit.

Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #777: Mar 04, 2012 01:01:41 am
      ???

Ummm, anyway...are we ever gonna take our F***ing chances in front of goal? Should have been 4 up a half time and game over.

2 F***ing chances RVP had and he put them in the back of the net. We need a Star striker in the Summer, one who wants to be here and take us to the summit.

I mean i live in Australia and it pisses me off when i wait the whole the night and watch a team lose when they shouldnt.r
      sarbz
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts |
      Reply #778: Mar 04, 2012 01:23:13 am
      I think that game was the ultimate test for being a Liverpool supporter. I didn't scream or get angry but I was very, very down. I, like a few posters, wondered why Kenny didn't bring Bellers on sooner but we were playing well, we just didn't get the ball in the net but that is not a rare occurrence for us this season.

I voted for Spearing btw, I thought he was fantastic in the middle.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season unfolds for us, will the release of the pressure to finish 4th allow us to become more clinical or will our play have less intensity and will we create less chances. Only time will tell.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      Reply #779: Mar 04, 2012 02:40:43 am
      right, never knew you lived here mate.

Yep, like I said gutted.   :(
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #780: Mar 04, 2012 08:37:30 am
      What to say really.. post, missed pen..same old story.

Cant remember Arsenal having too many chances (Pepe made a great save 2nd half, couldnt see who from). That midfield yesterday is simply not good enough and we are 10 points behind the Gooners! Oh.and that linesman was a grade A tw*t too!

How did the atmosphere come across on the telly?

Think Kenny got team selection wrong yesterday and left it far too late to make subs.

Pissed off today! :(
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012 09:01:19 am by kelvo »
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #781: Mar 04, 2012 10:18:37 am
      Really can't believe we lost that yesterday,same old story really like a lot people have said already. I really don't think Adam is good enough, i will keep getting behind the lad but I just can't see it in him. He was bought for set pieces and stability but even that isn't working. However we should have won that game easily yesterday and the post has been our nemesis this year,but if you don't put the ball in the back of the net you don't win!. Simple really. IMHO fourth has now gone!

Quick Reply