Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool 1-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match Discussions

Read 32393 times
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts | 22 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match Discussions
      Reply #598: Apr 07, 2012 05:25:08 pm
      You guys are right. I should whine more about referee decisions than our players missing goals on a plate.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Aston Villa
      Reply #599: Apr 07, 2012 05:26:48 pm
      The trap we fall into with these types of teams is conceding the first goal. We really need to be scoring that first one and picking them off, the problem is when we do score we revert back to fancy flick half arsed, dick about football. If we played today the same at 0-0 as we did at 0-1 we would have scared them shitless. Instead we over played in the first half and tried to play in tight spaces.

Second half much, much better. It was like watching the old Liverpool who penned a team in and battered them into a corner then forced the ball over the line.

It is perhaps old fashioned but when you are on a bad run, use your assets. Pace down the wings and power in the middle.

When Gerrard stops trying to play tip tap with Suarez and makes lung busting runs and crosses into the box he is a far better player IMO. He is a player who drives the team on and has the ability to link up play as well when it is called for, not the other way around.

At times I think we have tried to over play this season and I've thought that for a while. I don't think we have played to our strengths enough. In the second half that all changed.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Aston Villa
      Reply #600: Apr 07, 2012 05:27:45 pm
      Second half performance was positive. For the result, lacking of clinical finisher aside I blame our bad luck and the ref. Another thing I think if Kenny started Coates instead of Carragher the result might be different.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #601: Apr 07, 2012 05:27:54 pm
      You guys are right. I should whine more about referee decisions than our players missing goals on a plate.

Our? You just said Kuyt mate, if you mentioned the team were poor at finishing then yeah but you were blaming our result on one player alone.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #602: Apr 07, 2012 05:32:16 pm
      Our team is to slow that should have being addressed last Summer

Is right.

Where is the pace in our team? Where?

(Scuse me?  Bellamy.)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #603: Apr 07, 2012 05:35:58 pm
      Our? You just said Kuyt mate, if you mentioned the team were poor at finishing then yeah but you were blaming our result on one player alone.

Aye and not much being said about Doni effing up that cross, for example. Overall, Dirk was one of our best players today. Defo should have scored, but I agree it's wrong to pop off one player as the reason we lost. Win as a team, lose as a team.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #604: Apr 07, 2012 05:50:15 pm
      Much better performance today especially in the second half. Still making too many basic errors for comfort, but if we play like we did in the second half against Blackburn and Everton it will be more than enough to see them off.

Can't say I noticed all the great play by Henderson..... maybe I blinked at the wrong time :). Excellent recovery tackle by him towards the end though.

Disappointed in Carroll's finishing, but can't deny we looked a better balanced team when he came on, and he did disrupt their defence which had been looking well disciplined up to that point.

Can't say I am happy, but happier than I was at half time anyway.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #605: Apr 07, 2012 05:50:54 pm
      I'd be more pissed off if it wasn't so expected.

Barely any urgency till too late. Wasted sitters. Got F**k all from the referee. Blazed chances over. Poor set pieces. No pace. Failed to get in behind them regularly enough.

Same old, same old.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #606: Apr 07, 2012 06:07:05 pm

Assess the game as a whole. That is always better.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #607: Apr 07, 2012 06:07:53 pm
      24 shots

5 on target
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #608: Apr 07, 2012 06:08:30 pm
      Aye and not much being said about Doni effing up that cross, for example. Overall, Dirk was one of our best players today. Defo should have scored, but I agree it's wrong to pop off one player as the reason we lost. Win as a team, lose as a team.

+1
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #609: Apr 07, 2012 06:20:10 pm
      I think we missed a big chance today offensively not playing Coates. Villa were awful on corners. Once Agger came on and he, Skrtel, and Andy were in the box, we scored. Until then, Skrtel was our only threat on set pieces. We could have grabbed one earlier I feel if Seba had gotten the start.

But that's all hindsight 20/20 I guess.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #610: Apr 07, 2012 06:30:37 pm
      I thought after a shaky start Flanagan did well today
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #611: Apr 07, 2012 06:31:02 pm
      really shocked at how many Liverpool fans are happy because we showed some signs of improvement even though we still didnt win against a shocking Aston Villa team at Anfield. How are people not absolutely disgusted with this result I will never no. If we couldnt win that I fear we wont win again this season and I certainly cant see where that win is going to come from. F***ing sh*te, thats what these results are.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #612: Apr 07, 2012 06:31:34 pm
      After being 1 down at HT, just relieved to at least get the point. And it stops the run of losses. And we might have snatched it.
      Had a few more chances today. Much better after Bellers, Andy and Agger came on. Be nice to see the changes a little bit eariler though.
      Given had a good game. And Andy maybe should've done better with that header at the end. And Dirk won't sleep tonight after his miss.
      Shouda, coulda, woulda ...
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #613: Apr 07, 2012 06:47:36 pm
      I love Kuyt and I am rarely critical of him but I found him, at times, frustrating today. Bit hit and miss at time and to be honest, I would have liked to have seen Maxi given a chance.

In the game as a whole, I was terribly disappointed with the first half. Suarez had to play so deep due to the lack of work by the midfield, meaning there were is no one in the latter third. However, that improved drastically in the second half. I am happy with the effort in the second half. First half I thought we lacked the drive. However, after moving Stevie to the right, we took control and pushed. Disappointed to see Downing taken off if I am honest. At the time I thought Kuyt was the best option to be taken off. Anyway, Dagger made a big impact. Great to see him in the pitch again. I was shocked to see him play LB but he did a decent job and seemed to change the game.

Overall. 1st half, disappointed. Impressed with the response in the second half. Big game against Blackburn, however. We have to take heart from our performance and take it in to the game against Blackburn.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #614: Apr 07, 2012 07:12:32 pm
      What disappointed me about today is that we looked like we didn't have a plan, idea or strategy on how to beat them. But we were improved on effort and mental strength.

Agger made a huge difference when he came on. It was little surprise that we had our most attacking period as soon as he started moving the ball up to midfield. It drags our defensive line that bit further up the pitch and pushes us further forward. We should have been doing that in the first half but when you've got Carragher and Skrtel in the middle of defence, you won't push that much further up the pitch. Lack of pace is a cause but the inability to move the ball out and drive the team forward is another reason.

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #615: Apr 07, 2012 07:16:36 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #616: Apr 07, 2012 07:23:41 pm
      I ended up being unable to watch it today.

Cant really comment so until I watch it I'll take the positives out of the point as it could be a little corner turner.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #617: Apr 07, 2012 07:27:09 pm
      really shocked at how many Liverpool fans are happy because we showed some signs of improvement even though we still didnt win against a shocking Aston Villa team at Anfield. How are people not absolutely disgusted with this result I will never no. If we couldnt win that I fear we wont win again this season and I certainly cant see where that win is going to come from. F***ing sh*te, thats what these results posts by me are.

Sorted that for you kid.

Don't mention it, was my pleasure  ;).
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #618: Apr 07, 2012 07:27:42 pm
      I ended up being unable to watch it today.

Cant really comment so until I watch it I'll take the positives out of the point as it could be a little corner turner.

When you do watch it, watch Henderson in particular, it really was one of his best performances of the season so far i feel.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #619: Apr 07, 2012 07:29:53 pm
      When you do watch it, watch Henderson in particular, it really was one of his best performances of the season so far i feel.

Ditto.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #620: Apr 07, 2012 07:30:11 pm

Was speaking to a few mates who feel he was terrible today.

Hyperbole overload nowadays.

Quick Reply