Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)

Read 18417 times
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Re: Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)
      Reply #115: May 24, 2012 11:02:23 am
      To be honest Nick, I don't think 99.99% of Liverpool fans think we will finish higher than fourth place. Man U, Man C, Chelsea, and Arsenal will all strenghthen, to say nothing if the next "tier", ie Spurs, Newcastle, although the latter could have just had a blip season. It will be another tough season, no matter who takes the helm at the club.

If you dont go into a season expected the best then whats the point.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #116: May 24, 2012 11:12:58 am
      It is not surprising that not all people think like that,I blame the system that is teaching kids that it is the taking part that matters and not where you finish.What sort of history would we have if we had had that attitude from the moment Bill Shankly arrived at Anfield and brought this club to life..
      dava999
      • Banned

• 22 posts |
      Reply #117: May 24, 2012 11:22:27 am
      Ther's a diffence in hoping for the best, and expecting the best - I don't think we have been able to expect the best for about 20 years.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #118: May 24, 2012 11:23:04 am

Agree mate, if you go into the season not aiming for first then I don't get that mentality. It's a case of not giving up before you have started, you can be optimistic at the same time as realistic.

You have to believe you can win it..
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #119: May 24, 2012 11:41:02 am
      Ther's a diffence in hoping for the best, and expecting the best - I don't think we have been able to expect the best for about 20 years.

Cleary you are a commintted Liverpool fan then!!!! 

I hope if your a season ticket holder, you hand in your ticket, as it deserves togo to someone who believes in there team.

And if you just another person on here to wind up the true Liverpool fans you have picked the wrong person.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #120: May 24, 2012 11:46:32 am
      So then, it is soon to be, the new Season with a new manager.

What's different?, well all our new signings will have had their bedding in period of a Season so there is no hiding place now, it's time to deliver on the faith that was placed in them to deliver the goods.

Couple that with a few additional signings and we are in the mix. Is that delusional?. F**k no.

What has to happen is that our players play to near maximum capability and there is no reason why we can't be at the top.

Reina is the best keeper in the League. Agger and Skrtel are a formidable central defensive pairing. Johnson and Enrique are two of the best all round full backs in the League.

Gerrard and Lucas in the middle of the park will be a solid unit to build on. As for the wingers?, i'd put Sterling in and purchase one or two. Carroll and Suarez will hopefully get more game time together and nobody can argue that they have the makings of a devastating partnership.

We have some very useful fringe players as well, so just a few signings, maybe a winger or two and a striker and we're not far off.

What is key is the style of football we play under the new manager, if it is a total contradiction of the pass and move game then time will have to given to allow players to adjust.

This Season is going to be massive for us, i just hope it goes the right way.

Ooops!. Would i accept fourth right now, F***ing never!.

The foundations have been laid, hopefully we'll get the right manager to build on them.
      dava999
      • Banned

• 22 posts |
      Reply #121: May 24, 2012 11:51:07 am
      Nope, no wind up. Kemlyn Road Season ticket holder since aroung 1980 - going the match before that. What I'm trying to say is that our decline is been coming for quite some time, with a few very notable high points. You could be right on the money about handing my season ticket in, as I have sat there some games last season wodering what the fk I was doing there, watching the sh1t we have mostly seen at Home, in the League this season. Could be a age thing. However, I was there for every game, so I guess that makes me committed.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #122: May 24, 2012 11:51:07 am
      So then, it is soon to be, the new Season with a new manager.

What's different?, well all our new signings will have had their bedding in period of a Season so there is no hiding place now, it's time to deliver on the faith that was placed in them to deliver the goods.

Couple that with a few additional signings and we are in the mix. Is that delusional?. F**k no.

What has to happen is that our players play to near maximum capability and there is no reason why we can't be at the top.

Reina is the best keeper in the League. Agger and Skrtel are a formidable central defensive pairing. Johnson and Enrique are two of the best all round full backs in the League.

Gerrard and Lucas in the middle of the park will be a solid unit to build on. As for the wingers?, i'd put Sterling in and purchase one or two. Carroll and Suarez will hopefully get more game time together and nobody can argue that they have the makings of a devastating partnership.

We have some very useful fringe players as well, so just a few signings, maybe a winger or two and a striker and we're not far off.

What is key is the style of football we play under the new manager, if it is a total contradiction of the pass and move game then time will have to given to allow players to adjust.

This Season is going to be massive for us, i just hope it goes the right way.

Ooops!. Would i accept fourth right now, f**king never!.

The foundations have been laid, hopefully we'll get the right manager to build on them.

Quality post mate.

Fully agree, get us another top manager in, and watch this wouded lion roar again.

Lets not forget who we are, we are LFC.

dava999
      • Banned

• 22 posts |
      Reply #123: May 24, 2012 03:53:02 pm
      We're Liverpool FC, mate... have you forgotten that?

Bit of a late reply, I know, but it had to be said.

No, have'nt forgot at all, but in itself, that means fk-all, just as the "This is Anfield" sign meant fk-all to most of the visting teams last season.
      As a club, and a fan-base, we need to have a word with ourselves and dump this "we're Liverpool" bollocks, as its does'nt help us one bit.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #124: May 24, 2012 05:08:34 pm
      No, have'nt forgot at all, but in itself, that means fk-all, just as the "This is Anfield" sign meant fk-all to most of the visting teams last season.
      As a club, and a fan-base, we need to have a word with ourselves and dump this "we're Liverpool" bollocks, as its does'nt help us one bit.

It might not help you... I and others on the other hand are proud we are Liverpool.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #125: May 25, 2012 08:12:20 am

Seems to me davva999, that you are clearly supporting the wrong team.  OUR history is what makes Liverpool so great, the great European nights, the League Titles we piled up, Shankley, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish.

If you dont like it, i hear there are plenty of seats of the Rent boys and you can go wave a plastic flag there.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #126: May 25, 2012 08:23:50 am
      There seem to be two distinct "camps" on this one - those who think we are going to win the league, plus other trophys, and another who think it would be an achievement just to finish fourth.   
      You have not mentioned the group who are saying we should be aiming to finish first,that is a slight difference from your interpretation that we are saying we will win the league.I go into every season with the asperation that we can finish first,note I said can and not will.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #127: May 26, 2012 04:01:52 pm
      Deffo. City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs are all better than us. So i'd take fourth yes.
      RJH92
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts |
      Reply #128: May 26, 2012 10:01:18 pm
      I understand the question as, if we finished 4th would you accept it? Then yes I would, if we finished 4th I wouldn't call for the managers head or anything I'd be quite pleased especially after the last 3 seasons.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #129: May 31, 2012 07:22:17 am
      I'm not too sure now.

I am sure that Brendan Rodgers would though, knowing what he knows now and all.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #130: May 31, 2012 07:28:02 am
      I'm not too sure now.

I am sure that Brendan Rodgers would though, knowing what he knows now and all.

Top 4 next season for Rodgers would be a great achievement. The Europa League will also be a good learning ground for him for the Champions League.

If he signs three or four players who do very well, then we should be fighting for top 4.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #131: May 31, 2012 07:46:00 am
      Fookin right i'd accept it, I'd be bloody delighted and would bite ya hand off right now! Of course we always hope for more but finishing 4th would represent a very good season given where the club has been the past 3 years in the league.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #132: May 31, 2012 08:50:11 am
       I am sorry but befor the season has even started there is no way can I accept that finishing 4th is acceptable.If we go through life with that asperation we might as well forget about ever winning number 19.I prefer to set my targets high than to go for mediocracy,I know some posters will disagree with me but that is their option.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #133: May 31, 2012 09:18:36 am
      If you wouldn't accept 4th for next season you are dense.

Every year we go without the revenue for Champions League sets us back massively as a club. How does anyone think we are going to get the players to compete with Aguero, Rooney etc? We can't outspend our rivals, they have a massive head start in terms of setup and stability, they pull in more spectators due to bigger stadiums and Blackburn have won the league far more recently than us. In fact, we only narrowly won it slighhtly more recently than Everton.

But some of you would pass up the opportunity to make definite progress to 4th because of some bullshit phrase that you dont understand about 1st being 1st. But why stop at winning the league? Unless you win the treble, break the goalscoring charts and go unbeaten you're not REALLY the best are you?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #134: May 31, 2012 09:30:34 am

You do make me laugh Carlos...  ;D

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #135: May 31, 2012 09:35:22 am

Every year we go without the revenue for Champions League sets us back massively as a club. How does anyone think we are going to get the players to compete with Aguero, Rooney etc? We can't outspend our rivals, they have a massive head start in terms of setup and stability, they pull in more spectators due to bigger stadiums and Blackburn have won the league far more recently than us. In fact, we only narrowly won it slighhtly more recently than Everton.

But some of you would pass up the opportunity to make definite progress to 4th because of some bullshit phrase that you dont understand about 1st being 1st. But why stop at winning the league? Unless you win the treble, break the goalscoring charts and go unbeaten you're not REALLY the best are you?
      Without getting into an argument I am far from dense ,why throw the towel in before we have even kicked a ball in the new season.I hope our new manager does not convey to the players that to finish 4th is acceptable.I know what finishing first and winning cups and seeing the cups paraded around Anfield is like and that is the sort of excitement I crave.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #136: May 31, 2012 09:43:30 am
      We have a new manager,we will have new players, we will have a new game plan, with fresh ideas, what we won't have is a defeatist attitude amongst the players, believing that 4th is a success, not at this club it isn't, no matter who the manager is, 4th will and never will be acceptable,

Brendan Rodgers will give his all, he will deliver a style of football we will all love, and with it the ways and means to challenge for top honours, it's all we can ask for, %100 committment, if we finish 4th, then that's great it's progress, but i'd prefer to finish 3 places higher, and that is the only position we should be aiming for at the start of this season and any other season. YNWA
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #137: May 31, 2012 09:55:23 am
      Without getting into an argument I am far from dense ,why throw the towel in before we have even kicked a ball in the new season.I hope our new manager does not convey to the players that to finish 4th is acceptable.I know what finishing first and winning cups and seeing the cups paraded around Anfield is like and that is the sort of excitement I crave.

Do you think it would be an intelligent move for Everton to turn down Ronaldo on a free and hold out for Messi? I mean why throw in the towel early?

Quick Reply