Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Martin Odegaard (Strømsgodset IF)

Read 17993 times
      Bier
      Re: Martin Odegaard
      Reply #46: Dec 08, 2014 02:07:57 pm
      I was meaning more that if he becomes the player everyone thinks he will, we won't be able to compete with all the other top clubs who'll want him.  By that time he won't be concerned with his development when choosing a club, it'll be who offers the most money.

If he really is this big of a talent, then he'll leave Ajax at an age where he will still be concerned with his development. Like Eriksen chosing Tottenham over Manchester City, because he wanted to be sure of playing time. He was 21 I think when he left Ajax, only played in their first team for 3ish years. If Odegaard really is this big a talent he'll be starting for them and leaving them at an even earlier age. And Ajax are always willing to sell anybody, as long as you offer the money. He's not going to play there for a long time if he succeeds.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #47: Dec 08, 2014 02:09:14 pm
      I was meaning more that if he becomes the player everyone thinks he will, we won't be able to compete with all the other top clubs who'll want him.  By that time he won't be concerned with his development when choosing a club, it'll be who offers the most money.

Well, his dream club is us and if he is true to his word and we come in with an offer someday, I really think he'll choose us only and no one else. And Ajax will not have a choice but to sell to us seeing as he'll probably have 1-2 years left on his contract ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: Dec 08, 2014 02:16:13 pm
      If he really is this big of a talent, then he'll leave Ajax at an age where he will still be concerned with his development. Like Eriksen chosing Tottenham over Manchester City, because he wanted to be sure of playing time. He was 21 I think when he left Ajax, only played in their first team for 3ish years. If Odegaard really is this big a talent he'll be starting for them and leaving them at an even earlier age. And Ajax are always willing to sell anybody, as long as you offer the money. He's not going to play there for a long time if he succeeds.

Well, his dream club is us and if he is true to his word and we come in with an offer someday, I really think he'll choose us only and no one else. And Ajax will not have a choice but to sell to us seeing as he'll probably have 1-2 years left on his contract ;)

If only football worked like that though.
      Bier
      Reply #49: Dec 08, 2014 02:26:07 pm
      If only football worked like that though.

With many young Ajax talents it actually tends to work like that, most value their development over money, it's why they end up there in the first place. Especially the ones like Eriksen, Fischer, and now possibly Odegaard. They've always been coveted by all big European clubs, yet choose for Ajax. Says something their priorities.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #50: Dec 08, 2014 02:30:38 pm
      With many young Ajax talents it actually tends to work like that, most value their development over money, it's why they end up there in the first place. Especially the ones like Eriksen, Fischer, and now possibly Odegaard. They've always been coveted by all big European clubs, yet choose for Ajax. Says something their priorities.

I don't have a problem with it, I admire them for it mate.  I just can't see us getting the lad once he's blossomed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #51: Dec 08, 2014 06:38:06 pm
      I think he's probably off to Ajax. He's going to be 16 in a few days and apparantly only wants to be part of first team football, not youth football. I know his father has been very positive about Ajax, and the manager of the Norwegian national team is advising him to go to Ajax too. But he's had over 30 offers already, so you never know. But been reading in Dutch media today he's favouring Ajax, apparently likes that he'll get alot of individual attention there.

That said, even if he does go to Ajax he'll likely still be an option for us in years to come.

Nice docu on youtube about him:

The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 1
      The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 2

Great post, thanks Bier...kid looks like a real special talent. Hope whatever happens he doesn't get burnt out.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #52: Dec 11, 2014 01:04:28 pm
      F**k going to Ajax, we will miss out then. Get him in for gods sake. Dont know why any liverpool fan would be happy if he goes to Ajax.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #53: Dec 11, 2014 01:26:59 pm
      F**k going to Ajax, we will miss out then. Get him in for gods sake. Dont know why any liverpool fan would be happy if he goes to Ajax.

Yep, its insane to think this is the move that would please Liverpool fans.

It's so incredibly arrogant for anyone to think he'll go to Ajax and then join Liverpool for his peak years.

When he reaches his peak years, and if he has fulfilled potential, we will be nowhere near to getting him, because we won't be able to compete miraculously.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #54: Dec 13, 2014 12:14:28 pm
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #55: Dec 15, 2014 08:01:33 am
      Flipping hell, this guy is getting lorded about....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #56: Dec 15, 2014 05:24:29 pm
      Flipping hell, this guy is getting lorded about....

I guess this is what happens when you have practically any club in the world to choose from at such a young age.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Dec 15, 2014 07:52:23 pm
      We'll only offer £100k and a 5 mile ride on the Back of Ayre's Harley, to sweeten the deal.

Lock it up. :D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Dec 16, 2014 11:49:45 am
      Rumours he's going to sign for Bayern tomorrow.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #59: Dec 17, 2014 04:37:21 am
      Rumours he's going to sign for Bayern tomorrow.
      Good choice really. They are winning the league with plenty of games to spare. He will get lot of chances if he is good enough.  Liverpool fan or not, it makes little sense to come to a sinking ship.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #60: Dec 17, 2014 12:42:01 pm
      Don't really see why he'd sign for Bayern of all the clubs. Yes they're massive and successful but how is he going to break in to their midfield when guys like Thiago and Hojgjerg (sp?) can't consistently. I know Thiago is injured but his place in the team, from memory, was irregular. Could be mistaken and can't be arsed looking it up.

Ajax seems like a perfect fit for a youngster looking for first team involvement.

He's a Liverpool fan and sure that gives us some pull but he isn't going to move if its not best for his career. All the best to the lad wherever he ends up.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #61: Dec 17, 2014 11:24:39 pm
      Don't really see why he'd sign for Bayern of all the clubs. Yes they're massive and successful but how is he going to break in to their midfield when guys like Thiago and Hojgjerg (sp?) can't consistently. I know Thiago is injured but his place in the team, from memory, was irregular. Could be mistaken and can't be arsed looking it up.

Ajax seems like a perfect fit for a youngster looking for first team involvement.

He's a Liverpool fan and sure that gives us some pull but he isn't going to move if its not best for his career. All the best to the lad wherever he ends up.

Correct me if Ii'm wrong, but I believe Bayern has a good reputation for bringing up kids and giving them opportunities?

In the top tier of clubs, I would say Bayern and Barca are the best at bring up kids?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #62: Dec 18, 2014 01:54:28 pm
      I know they've got a ton of youth players in their first team right now but their midfield is stacked and even guys like Hojbjerg and Gaudino coming through will be competing with him for a first team spot.

I'm just going off that he wants some first team football right now and in the near future. He certainly won't get it at Bayern.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,519 posts | 3461 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #63: Dec 20, 2014 10:52:07 am
      Being hawked all over europe which I find all a bit unsettling
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #64: Dec 20, 2014 11:59:18 am
      Most youngsters train with multiple clubs before signing. He's just a bit higher profile than others so we hear about it (plus the clubs are all the big ones)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #65: Dec 20, 2014 09:36:14 pm

Whats unsettling about it?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Jan 06, 2015 01:42:15 pm
      11:31
      ODEGAARD LATEST

Marius Skelbaek from TV2 in Oslo has been talking to Sky Sports News HQ about the future of Norwegian wonderkid Martin Odegaard.

The 16-year-old is expected to leave Stromsgodset soon after visiting many of Europe's top clubs, including Liverpool and Arsenal, but his destination is still unclear.

“He is a big Liverpool fan but I think maybe Bayern and Real Madrid are leading the race to sign him," said Skelbaek. "The latest rumour is Martin is going to visit Ajax this month so who knows? There is going to be a sale this month because Stromsgodset need the money and he only has one year left on his contract and the club wants to sell him now.

“He could develop to a great player this year and will maybe take the level of Premier League or Bundesliga, but I think at this point maybe the Dutch level would fit him. You see that with young players from Denmark, Sweden, they are going to clubs like Ajax, Feynoord, PSV and do great, maybe that’s the best level, but who knows with the Mozart of football.”

Courtesy of Sky Sports.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #67: Jan 06, 2015 05:40:19 pm
      Show me the new: LFC Posts - Other Posts

So buy him and loan him to Ajax. Just get a long contract agreement so he gets first team football straight away, a level at which he can develop comfortably and we reap the benefits either way. Either financially or more importantly getting one of the world's best rising talents for a cheap price now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #68: Jan 06, 2015 06:06:17 pm

Him and his arl fella were due to go vip at Old Twatford.

Quick Reply