Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Gerrard return to Anfield as a Player?

Yes.
      (24.4%)
      No.
      (75.6%)

Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy)

Read 13347 times
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Re: Steven Gerrard / Loan
      Reply #69: Nov 06, 2015 02:43:41 pm
      Overwhelming no, and correctly so IMHO

Pretty much had the worst season of his career during his final year here, underperforming, trying too hard, losing his cool in big games.

If he hasn’t set the MLS on fire then he won’t make a decent impact in the Premier League as he is clearly unwilling to accept a position as an impact player.

Let’s just let it go and bring him back in a managerial position in a few years.
      Managerial Position?....You got to be kidding!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #70: Nov 07, 2015 12:48:03 am
      Overwhelming no, and correctly so IMHO

Pretty much had the worst season of his career during his final year here, underperforming, trying too hard, losing his cool in big games.

If he hasn’t set the MLS on fire then he won’t make a decent impact in the Premier League as he is clearly unwilling to accept a position as an impact player.

Let’s just let it go and bring him back in a managerial position in a few years.

Well, only if you want to see us turn into a F***ing joke and get relegated.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #71: Nov 07, 2015 07:28:42 am
      Well, only if you want to see us turn into a F***ing joke and get relegated.

Out of interest - why do you think he would be a terrible manager?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #72: Nov 07, 2015 07:33:26 am
      Out of interest - why do you think he would be a terrible manager?

For me, just some of the stuff in his autobigraphies has been off-putting, when it comes to management and even coaching.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #73: Nov 07, 2015 12:19:38 pm
      Well, only if you want to see us turn into a f**king joke and get relegated.

F***ing snob. I agree with you in this thread but you don't half come across as nose up and look down at people snob.

I don't want Stevie back as a player or coach at this point but do find it strange that some that also don't seem to use  the slightest opportunity to slate and stick the boot in on him.

Weird.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #74: Nov 07, 2015 02:44:24 pm
      IF Klopp genuinely want SG as his player (I think it's less possible, so I voted 'no') I'm confident SG still has a lot to offer and Klopp surely can get the best out of him again.

We have Coutinho who's genius on final trough ball to the finisher but we now missing SG's pinpoint final ball to our only finisher who seemed not running to the ball (Benteke), aerial or on the ground.
      For me, if SG comeback and play some for benefit of the team and finally give him a chance to end his career with his beloved club with his head up high and smile on his face, I can't say no to that.

That's only in ideal world.

I totally admired SG for his ability in playing football. But for his personal attitudes and things off the pitch I never think he's any great.

If someone can help the club as a coach I think we should look at Carra, definitely not SG.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,789 posts | 7188 
      Reply #75: Nov 07, 2015 03:10:03 pm
      I am not sure that Steven Gerrard the player can be as influential as Steven Gerrard the coach/Manager. If he could have a team of 11 Gerrards then yes but I dont know how he relates to players with less ability or commitment. I dont think he is a good communicator and I dont think he is a tactically astute player he is who he is because he is a force of nature and unstoppable at his best.
      But in saying that how will we know if he isnt given a chance.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5047 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #76: Nov 07, 2015 03:16:08 pm
      As much as the romance of a Gerrard return still had sentiments, in reality it's a non starter,
      He most probably was our best ever player, however he's had his time with Liverpool FC, no one should ever forget what he did for the club and of course the city, but time waits for no man irrespective of service, contributions and successes,

I love Steven Gerrard, he has legendary status and always will, but we have to move forward and look towards the successes coming under Jürgen. bringing Stevie back in would seriously hamper progress, even in a coaching role, Jürgen has his own people in to work with the existing coaches at all levels, having Stevie in there Imo would not be an ideal situation for our current crop of youngsters.

YNWA
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #77: Nov 08, 2015 08:23:21 am
      For me, just some of the stuff in his autobigraphies has been off-putting, when it comes to management and even coaching.

I can see that - however, his 'auto'bigoraphy would have been heavily advised IMO. They would have advised he hammed up certain parts of it, and played down other areas. I don't think this is a great insight into his managerial ability... But again, that's my opinion...
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #78: Nov 27, 2015 07:39:20 pm
      I can see that - however, his 'auto'bigoraphy would have been heavily advised IMO. They would have advised he hammed up certain parts of it, and played down other areas. I don't think this is a great insight into his managerial ability... But again, that's my opinion...

To be honest, if he's being badly advised with a mere autobiography, then it obviously shows he's easily led. That's the last thing I'd want in a coach.

He'd be a terrible manager, and an ineffective coach. Sadly, some deluded idiots would quite happily see Jürgen tell the extremely intelligent Buvac to F**k off and hire Gerrard on no other basis apart from sentimentality.

Thankfully, Klopp isn't daft.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #79: Nov 28, 2015 12:37:43 am
      He'd be a terrible manager, and an ineffective coach. Sadly, some deluded idiots would quite happily see Jürgen tell the extremely intelligent Buvac to f**k off and hire Gerrard on no other basis apart from sentimentality.

Grow up lad.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #80: Nov 28, 2015 12:52:53 am
      The best way to look at Gerrard and compare future coaching roles.

Look how Souness and Barnes have done in coaching roles.

Remember him as a legend and just move on.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #81: Nov 28, 2015 01:42:59 am
      Having seen Stevie in the flesh in every game he has played here in LA and also watched most of his away games this season for the galaxy I can tell you that his legs have utterly gone.
      I love the fella but all the pre Gerrard galaxy fans, the newer Galaxy followers due to his  import to the Los Angeles franchise and general British premier league supporters will all tell you the same thing. He has lost his legs and ability.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #82: Nov 28, 2015 04:05:52 am

Well if you lot can't think rationally and want to screw up the club's best chance of success in years by meddling with Klopp's structure, be my guest.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #83: Nov 28, 2015 04:07:55 am

The sad thing is people just can't accept this. His greatness belongs to the ages and the answers to the future do not belong in the past.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #84: Nov 28, 2015 05:23:48 am
      If he feels like he should go into coaching at some capacity then fair enough but I very highly doubt that it will/should be at Liverpool. He doesn't strike me as a Carragher or Neville type, more like a McManaman who has a bit to say but not much clue on the technical side of things as far as teaching players goes.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #85: Nov 28, 2015 09:19:17 am
      He'd be a terrible manager, and an ineffective coach.

I too don't agree with stripping out Klopps back room team for Gerrard - and have never said it was a good idea.

Just to confirm you are basing your belief that he will be a terrible coach on what exactly? A book that he wrote? I guess on that note Ferguson would also be a shocking manager - his book was rubbish too...

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #86: Nov 28, 2015 09:25:57 am

Or indeed how Kenny did, or Kouman or Ancelotti or Kruyff or Koeman have done to name a few - but yeah, great point - throw out 2 managers who haven't done that well, that works.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #87: Nov 28, 2015 09:26:55 am
      If he feels like he should go into coaching at some capacity then fair enough but I very highly doubt that it will/should be at Liverpool. He doesn't strike me as a Carragher or Neville type, more like a McManaman who has a bit to say but not much clue on the technical side of things as far as teaching players goes.

What makes a good teacher, someone who has done it or someone who reads the books in the background and puts it into practice..?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #88: Nov 28, 2015 09:41:06 am
      What makes a good teacher, someone who has done it or someone who reads the books in the background and puts it into practice..?

It varies and, for me, it's not a question of who the teacher is, but who the pupil is. I found it easier to learn under conditions my brother couldn't.
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2015 10:23:22 am by Roddenberry »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #89: Nov 28, 2015 09:58:22 am

I think you only have to look back to Hodgson and Brendan to realise that just because you weren't a good footballer doesn't mean you will be a great coach, neither does being a good footballer like Paisley or Dalglish mean you can't be a great manager.

I don't think Gerrard should be given a job as coach just because he was a great player, but neither should he be excluded just because he wrote a book.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #90: Nov 28, 2015 10:19:43 am
      I think you only have to look back to Hodgson and Brendan to realise that just because you weren't a good footballer doesn't mean you will be a great coach, neither does being a good footballer like Paisley or Dalglish mean you can't be a great manager.

I don't think Gerrard should be given a job as coach just because he was a great player, but neither should he be excluded just because he wrote a book.

Agree S@int.

Don't think there's really any basis for saying he won't make a good coach. It's a job in its own right and IMO there's not much we can infer from his success as a player about his potential as a top level coach.

I'm a little surprised though given that he was captain under Dear Leader that there aren't some suggesting he will make a GREAT coach, with all that experience rubbing off and transforming all around.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #91: Nov 28, 2015 10:42:07 am
      There's a similar discussion on the caf about the impending Giggs appointment when VG ends his contract in 2017, some fans thinks he deserves the chance the rest think it would be football suicide.

It's impossible to say at this stage whether Stevie will or won't make a good enough Coach to lead us in the future.  I have no problem with him doing his coaching badges at the Academy, gaining experience and working his way up the age groups before joining the backroom team at Melwood to hone those skills if he proves to be good enough but absolutely no way would I want him to get the gig just because it's Stevie.

Quick Reply