Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Sadio Mane (Southampton)

Read 56140 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Re: Sadio Mane (Southampton)
      Reply #414: Jun 26, 2016 01:43:09 am
      Similar to Jürgen I quite like Mane, but I am sure there is a big difference between liking a player at £10million and liking a player at £30/35 million.

There certainly is Saint, and I'm personally all for drawing a line in the sand and saying "this is as high as we go and we won't be taken for fools" when it comes to inflated transfer fees.  I think Jürgen has this mentality as well -- I recall an interview where he pretty much stated this exactly -- which leads me to believe that the gaffer rates Mane quite highly. 

Look at it this way -- Mane is the alternative to Gotze.  Jürgen loves Gotze -- he trusts him and (likely) rates him as one of the very best players he's ever worked with.  So, if he is willing to move on from Mario who would have cost about 20M and instead buy Mane for 30M, it suggests to me that he really thinks we are going to be getting a great player :)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #415: Jun 26, 2016 01:43:54 am
      Ojo, Mane, Sturridge, Origi and Ings..... Coutinho or Firmino will have a field day feeding those players. Our attack will be devastating next season!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #416: Jun 26, 2016 02:18:14 am
      Ojo, Mane, Sturridge, Origi and Ings..... Coutinho or Firmino will have a field day feeding those players. Our attack will be devastating next season!

Just need to fix the midfield and the defense now :)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #417: Jun 26, 2016 05:47:06 am
      Mane and Goetze are different kinds of player.
      Mane has massive amounts of pace. Mario doesn't.
      Both score goals and create but one can play wide and cut in while the other prefers a more central role.
      We need width and pace desperately so I can see why klopp is after mane.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #418: Jun 26, 2016 05:50:05 am
      72 goals in 185 games for a lad who's just turned 24, with a 1 in 3 goals ratio over the last 2 PL seasons (25 scored) compared to Stewart downing who is 32 next month and still only scored 50 PL goals in his whole career which spans 15 seasons.

Hmmm.............

Wow never knew that, I should have looked it up really. Them stats at 24 from his position too, quite spectacular.

I have no problem with this signing, it's a choice the manager has made and that's all everyone wants to see (the changes Klopp will make with his own players) it seems if it's not the right fashionable name it's always too much money.
      The owners will love that attitude because the money is pouring in and even more with tv, capacity increase and because the fan base of Liverpool is huge (merchandise and added advertising fees).

Some are mentioning we are broke because we'll spend all the budget on Mane (;D), if we do get him, I think it'll be around 23 mil.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #419: Jun 26, 2016 07:45:18 am
      Wow never knew that, I should have looked it up really. Them stats at 24 from his position too, quite spectacular.

I have no problem with this signing, it's a choice the manager has made and that's all everyone wants to see (the changes Klopp will make with his own players) it seems if it's not the right fashionable name it's always too much money.
      The owners will love that attitude because the money is pouring in and even more with tv, capacity increase and because the fan base of Liverpool is huge (merchandise and added advertising fees).

Some are mentioning we are broke because we'll spend all the budget on Mane (;D), if we do get him, I think it'll be around 23 mil.

I agree this 30 million figure probably includes add ons and wages.
      zamochit
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #420: Jun 26, 2016 10:02:44 am
      For that much of money and better option would be to get Julian Draxler. He is a winger and as good as Kevin De Bruyne
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #421: Jun 26, 2016 10:09:33 am
      For that much of money and better option would be to get Julian Draxler. He is a winger and as good as Kevin De Bruyne

Good player but injury prone I think he would struggle with the intensity of the PL.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #422: Jun 26, 2016 10:41:01 am

So you'd prefer and believe that Draxler is a better option when he's scored half the goals in more games, would cost the same and hasn't yet played in the P so would need time to settle. 

Isn't that the type of signing everyone's been complaining we keep making?

Also saying Draxler's a winger like De Bruyne?  Mane is a winger, is the same age as De Bruyne who has also scored less goals than Mane in more games and cost City £25m more than we're hoping to get Mane for.

I don't get some of our fans thinking anymore  :depressed:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #423: Jun 26, 2016 11:51:17 am
      So you'd prefer and believe that Draxler is a better option when he's scored half the goals in more games, would cost the same and hasn't yet played in the P so would need time to settle. 

Isn't that the type of signing everyone's been complaining we keep making?

Also saying Draxler's a winger like De Bruyne?  Mane is a winger, is the same age as De Bruyne who has also scored less goals than Mane in more games and cost City £25m more than we're hoping to get Mane for.

I don't get some of our fans thinking anymore  :depressed:

Draxler cost around £35m + add ons when he went to Wolfsburg. That fee won't be dropping should he leave.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #424: Jun 26, 2016 11:54:21 am
      Is there any need to be petty about spelling? Over a f**king name as well. I don't think he was comparing mane to downing as players either.

I agree with him and I also think it reaks of a downing type signing. He was on fire at Villa before we came in and signed him. if I'm not mistaken he had the most assists for a midfielder in the PL the season before he came here.

We have a long history of signing flavour of the month type players from mid table clubs who just don't cut it here. It looks like Mane is on his way so we will soon see how gets on - fingers crossed he does well and I'll be right behind him from day one.

But just like downing and just like Carroll and just like benteke I have my doubts. I feel we're over spending massively. I think mane is far too inconsistent and I'm not convinced he is good enough for us with the ambitions we have.

I want the club to get a f**king grip and stop making these type of signings. But let's see. Hopefully I'm wrong. I don't think mane for 30m is a big a disaster as Carroll or benteke not was but I'm still not happy with this.

Petty is what people love to turn to when they have nothing of note to say.

I agree with what you have posted

all of a sudden Mane is a great player and £30 mill is good business.

Mane is not a player who has the potential to improve to the same levels that the likes of Coutinho and Firmino have (from what i have seen)
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #425: Jun 26, 2016 12:01:20 pm

Mane is not a player who has the potential to improve to the same levels that the likes of Coutinho and Firmino have (from what i have seen)

Would be interested to hear your theory as to why he will not improve to the levels of Couts and Firmino ?
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #426: Jun 26, 2016 12:25:15 pm

Would be interested to hear your theory as to why he will not improve to the levels of Couts and Firmino ?

Wouldn't call it a theory as such - i just acknowledge that some people have the ability and desire to improve and reach world class status and some people just don't

Lucas L will not reach the level of Mash
      Henderson will never reach the level of Gerrard
      Ings wont reach the levels of Suarez

it is clear to me that Ibe does not have the same to improve as Sterling did

etc

Mane has not been exceptional for Southampton, he is not a poor player in any way, but goes missing very easily and we would be hoping that he comes and does something that we have not seen from him and for a longer period of time.
      we are hoping that he comes in and somehow elevates himself and improves.

I hope that if he does come that he turns out to be a fantastic signing.

DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #427: Jun 26, 2016 04:09:55 pm
      Mane sounds like an exciting buy. I'm excited for a new season of our fans moaning about a player regardless of what goals he scores. Was wondering who the fans would be moaning about for the new season, and before even becoming a player, Mane is definitely in the category of 'most moaned about'.

;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #428: Jun 26, 2016 04:16:18 pm
      This guy may turn out to be a good signing, with Klopp's transfer record theres a good chance, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be skeptical. Hands up if you were told we were going to drop £30m on a player this window but weren't told who it was, how many would have picked a player from Southampton? You are lying if any of you would have picked this guy.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #429: Jun 26, 2016 04:17:36 pm

That kind of doesn't make sense. His stats are already miles above both of our players and they're the same age range, who flatter to decieve, I don't think they are as affective as we kid ourselves to believe.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #430: Jun 26, 2016 04:23:47 pm

For what it's worth, I've never particularly rated Draxler. All hype but unable to deliver when it matter IMO, every time I have seen him play he has had a mare or looked bang average.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #431: Jun 26, 2016 04:27:41 pm
      This guy may turn out to be a good signing, with Klopp's transfer record theres a good chance, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be skeptical. Hands up if you were told we were going to drop £30m on a player this window but weren't told who it was, how many would have picked a player from Southampton? You are lying if any of you would have picked this guy.

One issue might be that with a 58% increase in TV money going to the clubs this year it is going to translate to higher transfer fees across the board. I would not disagree that if we were back a few years that Mane would probably cost £18-22 milion and be a more palatable fee for the supporters to live with. All that being said today in 2016 £30 is probably right on the mark as there are quite a few bottom half clubs that really don't have to sell just to raise money; even the last place team in the PL is going to pocket right around £100 million.

As far as Southampton...couple of things #1. The players we have picked up from Southampton have been pretty damn good (Lallana, Lovren & Clyne) #2 As shown numerous times the manager knows the player and made an attempt to get Mane into BVB but the player chose PL over the Bundesliga at the time. If Klopp knows and rates him (which he obviously does) does it really matter what club he plays for now? Karius (Mainz) Matip (Shalke), Gurji (Red Star) it's just a name..Southampton gets under our skin because we have gone to that well before however I doubt anybody wants to get rid of Lovren or Clyne right about now.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #432: Jun 26, 2016 04:28:08 pm

That kind of doesn't make sense. His stats are already miles above both of our players and they're the same age range, who flatter to decieve, I don't think they are as affective as we kid ourselves to believe.

Stats? I don't let stats rule my head.

Especially when i have 2 good working eyes.

He scored 8 goals in the final 8 league games

he has gone eternities without scoring too

I recently saw a stat that Mane failed to sore or assist in 25 of his 37 league games

Ive been saying that he is inconsistent and the stats also suggest this - so my eyes and the stats are working in sync

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #433: Jun 26, 2016 04:34:34 pm
      I hope we're not seriously comparing De Bruyne and Mane.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #434: Jun 26, 2016 04:37:49 pm

I recently saw a stat that Mane failed to sore or assist in 25 of his 37 league games

Ive been saying that he is inconsistent and the stats also suggest this - so my eyes and the stats are working in sync

Most 22-23 year old's have inconsistencies do they not?  that was his age when he played the last two years at Southampton. Inconsistent or not 52 goals in 130 played is nothing to sneeze at for a winger.

The managers job is to coach out the inconsistancies, and seeing what the gaffer did with Lovren, Lallana & Origi I would not put it past him to make this pretty good player into a pretty great one.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #435: Jun 26, 2016 04:38:17 pm

Firmino and Coutinho went missing or never turned up for 2 thirds of last season , there is a stat for you. I saw that stat happen myself.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #436: Jun 26, 2016 04:38:32 pm
      I hope we're not seriously comparing De Bruyne and Mane.

It's better than that, we're seeing sprinklings of "Mane is arguably better than Coutinho" now as well.

Which I'm sure are totally sincere and long-held opinions that people just forgot to mention up until it looks inevitable we're signing Mane.

Quick Reply