Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Robbie Keane (Spurs)

Read 45400 times
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Re: Robbie Keane (Spurs)
      Reply #46: Jul 01, 2008 02:36:30 pm
      I think this might indicate rafa will drop interest in Barry because of th**t MON. Alonso can leave too.

i think he prefers the formation:

Reina
      degen        carra                          agger          dossena

kuyt                 gerrard                 masche       Babbel

Keane

Torres

I think that Rafa is going for a very attack minded team. The full backs will bomb forward and wingers are great too. Gerrard might be required to stay back.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #47: Jul 01, 2008 03:27:14 pm
      I think this might indicate rafa will drop interest in Barry because of th**t MON. Alonso can leave too.

I think he prefers the formation:

Reina
      degen        carra                          agger          dossena

kuyt                 gerrard                 masche       Babbel

Keane

Torres

I think that Rafa is going for a very attack minded team. The full backs will bomb forward and wingers are great too. Gerrard might be required to stay back.

Alonso can leave too  :o are you mad? :laugh:   :f_tongueincheek:

Not a bad line up although i would like to see Silva in there somewhere. I dont think Gerrard will be required to stay back because he supplies nando with alot of goals and he also gets the goals.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #48: Jul 01, 2008 04:45:52 pm
      Looks like Keane will sign for us - and that is superb news.  Along with Barry.  Gid rid of Alonso.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #49: Jul 01, 2008 05:07:44 pm
      I wouldn't mind seeing Robbie Keane in a red shirt. I've always thought he was a decent football player and has a good desire about him.

With Crouch on his way and the possibility of Keane joining, that would probably make Torres our tallest striker. And you're best playing the ball to his feet because that's how he's most dangerous.

So I presume the likelyhood of us playing 'direct' football would decrease if Keane was to come in. Which is good for the team keeping possession of the ball.

I wouldn't say he's worth £20M though.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #50: Jul 01, 2008 05:24:42 pm
      I get to see Keane more then most on here as he captains my country. Talented footballer no doubt about it. But Robbie Keane makes runs that suit Robbie Keane. Robbie Keane makes desicions that he thinks are right for Robbie Keane so dont assume that he is the perfect foil for Torres or the perfect player for Liverpool. In my view Crouch is a better foil for Torres.

And also dont forget he was given the opportunity to join his "boyhood heroes" but chose the extra wages on offer at Leeds utd. Good player? yes. right for Liverpool?
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #51: Jul 01, 2008 05:36:40 pm
      If money is not available for david villa, i certainly wouldn't mind having robbie keane and torres leading the front line - keane is at his peak, although he is nowhere near as pacey as nando, he has a really good intelligence of the field which to me is essential in partnering torres, and is adapted to playing in the premier league. He also has a decent finish which would certainly compliment torres. they would be creating so much space and havoc upfront it'd allow stevie g and good wingers to surge into the created space and cause anarchy for the oppositions defence.

although he is 28 (i think) he has def got some good years ahead of him,for 20m though i'd would rather fork up another 7 or 8 and get villa, but if a bargain can be struck i'd really welcome him
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #52: Jul 01, 2008 05:38:50 pm
      Spot on Kenny.  He would definitely benefit the team with his direct style of play.  It's all down to how Rafa would play him though. 

He's worth about £10 - 15 million at the most.  But the mid table clubs are probably all shitting themselves about their best players, hense their valuation increases as a put off.

Let's see what unfolds over the coming days....
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #53: Jul 01, 2008 06:26:52 pm
      I get to see Keane more then most on here as he captains my country. Talented footballer no doubt about it. But Robbie Keane makes runs that suit Robbie Keane. Robbie Keane makes desicions that he thinks are right for Robbie Keane so dont assume that he is the perfect foil for Torres or the perfect player for Liverpool. In my view Crouch is a better foil for Torres.

And also dont forget he was given the opportunity to join his "boyhood heroes" but chose the extra wages on offer at Leeds utd. Good player? yes. right for Liverpool?

good post.....that about sums it up for me too.

though didn't he choose Milan before us, the last time we were in for him.  My memory is dire.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #54: Jul 01, 2008 10:22:09 pm
      cum'on rafa, dont give up on keane and barry
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #55: Jul 01, 2008 10:46:12 pm
      Keane is a good player! But I'm getting pissed with the 20 milion pound price tag that every good engish player is worth. We are yet to break new ground with Barry; then I watched Aonso play beautiful football, and now Keane is worth 20 million pounds? please!!!!!!!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #56: Jul 01, 2008 10:54:08 pm
      Leave barry, i dont mind keane but 20 million is too much. Personally i think Babel Kuyt and Torres with Nemeth there aswell is adequate strikers but is unlikely
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #57: Jul 01, 2008 10:59:14 pm
      Leave barry, I dont mind keane but 20 million is too much. Personally I think Babel Kuyt and Torres with Nemeth there aswell is adequate strikers but is unlikely

I see Rafa buying more English players before the season kicks off. Barry is priority by nationality.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #58: Jul 01, 2008 11:01:10 pm
      I would like this transfer!!!
      Robbie is a great player and he can be the partner of Torres
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #59: Jul 01, 2008 11:06:08 pm
      I see Rafa buying more English players before the season kicks off. Barry is priority by nationality.

But why, this english rule is complete and utter garbage. Dont see Arsenal shelling out on more english players they have the least of anyone.
      iluvliverpool
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #60: Jul 01, 2008 11:07:15 pm
      i want crouchy to stay and play for reds and score those crazy goals that he did in the champions league ::)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #61: Jul 01, 2008 11:10:45 pm
      But why, this english rule is complete and utter garbage. Dont see Arsenal shelling out on more english players they have the least of anyone.

Rafa has to be prepared for eventualities. No use getting caught napping. We might still have to go for Bentley to replace Pennant.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #62: Jul 01, 2008 11:15:52 pm
      I think Keane is a fantastic player and I hope this rumour is true as I feel he would offer a lot to the team.

£20M may be high but he has almost a 1 in 2 record for Spurs (107 in 253) games and I'm pretty sure he has a good assist record as well. There are not many players around Europe with this kind of record who would go for much less.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #63: Jul 01, 2008 11:18:43 pm
      Rafa has to be prepared for eventualities. No use getting caught napping. We might still have to go for Bentley to replace Pennant.

Even if the rule was brought in, they wouldnt punish a side who couldnt bring in the amount they deem necessary. They never punish anyone, dont see the point in this english players rule, its basically just spend all your budget on some overpriced players so that it will 'in theory' benefit the national side, rather than bringing in a better player who isnt overpriced from another league.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #64: Jul 02, 2008 12:03:07 am
      Even if the rule was brought in, they wouldnt punish a side who couldnt bring in the amount they deem necessary. They never punish anyone, dont see the point in this english players rule, its basically just spend all your budget on some overpriced players so that it will 'in theory' benefit the national side, rather than bringing in a better player who isnt overpriced from another league.

I think next season's champions League is serious business. If they insist on the  8 english players including subs, there will be problems for the Premiership teams. Better safe than sorry.
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2008 12:06:29 am by solodee »
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #65: Jul 02, 2008 12:47:01 am
      Keane has been one of my frave players in the prem in yrs, and i wud love to see him in a liverpool shirt, but to pay 20mill for him is a bit expensive. a swap deal with crouch wud be fair. OK ime a big crouch fan, but Rafa crnt promice him games so he has to move on to save his England career. and spurs or Pompey wud suit him down to the ground, and i know he will pop up and score against us.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #66: Jul 02, 2008 01:07:03 am
      Even if the rule was brought in, they wouldn't punish a side who couldn't bring in the amount they deem necessary. They never punish anyone, don't see the point in this English players rule, its basically just spend all your budget on some overpriced players so that it will 'in theory' benefit the national side, rather than bringing in a better player who isn't overpriced from another league.
        Good shout Lill Cisse all this talk from the prats in uefa do they worry who plays in Italy, Spain, Germany or the rest of Europe? I thought this was  a  open Europe now no passports required?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #67: Jul 02, 2008 04:15:49 am
      For a sec i thought they forgot the somewhat unavoidable 'boyhood team' phrase but my eagle caught it out in the end.

Rather have Crouchy being the second striker though but Keane is a great player. 20 mill his value is again where the deal falls short for me. 5 mill + Crouchy should we sign him otherwise its Crouchinho all day for me.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #68: Jul 02, 2008 04:33:11 am
        Good shout Lill Cisse all this talk from the prats in uefa do they worry who plays in Italy, Spain, Germany or the rest of Europe? I thought this was  a  open Europe now no passports required?

This is what i mean, its ridiculous. I think its fair enough they feel the young english talent isnt coming through like spanish, dutch etc is but that stems from the youth setups not the senior players we bring in. Whenever you think of youth talent 9 out of every 10 people (rough estimate) will bring up Ajax and Barca within the first few teams they mention. The youth setup in england isnt good enough in my opinion, it seems they teach them the wrong things, in my opinon this is the root of the problem. The dutch and spanish concentrate on things like skill whereas its not like that in england. For some reason that is regarded as less important but people like Robben, Babel, Torres, Silva and so many others play how they do due to learning skill as a fundamental as youngsters. This is what needs to be deemed more important in england rather than being frowned upon.

Back on topic i would take keane, agree with crouchinho though, £20 million is too much, crouch and 5 mill is enough, crouch alone should be enough really but i wouldnt mind if we spent 5 mill on top.

Quick Reply