Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article

Read 7421 times
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article
      Mar 24, 2011 10:58:14 am
      I can't post this as an article or link as you have to pay for Times online. But reading the Times today on the backpage there is an article from two trusted journalists Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay, Barrett is especially good on Liverpool. I'll take the main points of it;

'Liverpool are preparing for an end of season transfer tassle with Manchester United after identifying Ashely Young as their leading target for an extensive summer rebuilding program'

'Gary Cahill, Charlie Adam and Matt Jarvis also feature on Kenny Dalglish's list of targets'

'However, with Young having made it clear that he will not sign a contract extension at Villa park, which expires at the end of the season, the midlands club are all but resigned to seeling him in the summer.

'but Young has suggested to his team-mates that he would be intrested in joining Liverpool even if they do not qualify for European football next season'

Intresting stuff that. I would be pleased to sign all of them and a left back.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article
      Reply #1: Mar 24, 2011 11:15:42 am
      Dunno better players out there, you could be talking about £50 million plus on them players because they are British and to be honest don't think any of them are top class.

Don't think we would compete for the title next season if they were our signings.Would be happy enough with Young for £12 million though
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2: Mar 24, 2011 11:19:32 am
      They would all be very welcome additions to the squad though, but I also feel we would need to strengthen in defense and defensive midfield.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #3: Mar 24, 2011 11:19:52 am
      Dunno better players out there, you could be talking about £50 million plus on them players because they are British and to be honest don't think any of them are top class.

Don't think we would compete for the title next season if they were our signings.Would be happy enough with Young for £12 million though
      I think Young and Cahill are top class, Adam and Jarvis would add depth, come on mate who you rather we had to come on in a game, Adam and Jarvis or Ngog and Poulsen.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Mar 24, 2011 11:22:03 am
      I think Young and Cahill are top class, Adam and Jarvis would add depth, come on mate who you rather we had to come on in a game, Adam and Jarvis or Ngog and Poulsen.

Thats not really the point.

We should be looking for the best players we can possibly find to join our club. If they happen to be Jarvis and Adam then fair enough.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #5: Mar 24, 2011 11:23:35 am
      Wouldn't call Cahill top class, think he is decent at best but because he is British he becomes highly rated like Lescott at Everton. He will cost similar to what Luiz cost and he is no where near the same quality.

To be honest red I don't want to spunk the £50 million on them 4 to make our squad better with that sort of money I want proven quality not people like Adam and Jarvis who are the flavour of the month at the moment who you probably have to pay £20 plus million on to get.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Mar 24, 2011 12:26:52 pm
      Wouldn't call Cahill top class, think he is decent at best but because he is British he becomes highly rated like Lescott at Everton. He will cost similar to what Luiz cost and he is no where near the same quality.

To be honest red I don't want to spunk the £50 million on them 4 to make our squad better with that sort of money I want proven quality not people like Adam and Jarvis who are the flavour of the month at the moment who you probably have to pay £20 plus million on to get.

I agree with what you are saying with most of that but one thing that i never knew is that September to March was all one month? Adam has been consistent throughout the season, been one of the best players in the league so far this season so i wouldn't really consider him flavour of the month to be fair. The lad has more than earned his plaudits.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Mar 24, 2011 12:30:04 pm
      There are many better players in the world than Charlie Adam, yes he is a very good player, but can he handle the big pressure playing for Liverpool. He will be far more likely to be forgiven for not tracking back for Blackpool, than he would for Adam.

Adam would need to work on his fitness before becoming Liverpool standard IMO, undoubtedly his abilty on the ball is there.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Mar 24, 2011 01:13:55 pm
      On ething I will say is Kenny has a knack for building title winning teams using British Isle players, Blackburn really on had Henning Berg as a first teamer under kenny's tenure the rest were British Isles players, Jason Wilcox wasnt the best winger around nor was Stuart Ripley but they done their Jobs well, Batty and Sherwood wernt the best midfielders around but they done their job well, Colin Hendry and Ian pearce wernt the best central defence pairing around but they done their job well.

I was looking at some stats just for daftness the other day, trying to get a grip of how Nesv my apply their moneyball approach to transfers and Chris Brunt came up as a good potential transfer as up until January this year he created the most chances of any premier league player and I'm not talking assists, it took into account every chance he had created wether they were converted or not.

So maybe they are applying their moneyball strategy to select players ?

Who knows ? ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Mar 24, 2011 01:16:40 pm
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #10: Mar 24, 2011 01:33:58 pm
      Because Kenny is doing it the Liverpool way and keeping everything under wraps, how does anyone know what his list is?? heresay.
      Barrett will have some idea, from what I understand he is very well connected. Why not send him an email complaining about it?

Barrett will be basing this on what he's heard, it's speculation, but what I'm saying is there could be some foundation to the speculation.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Mar 24, 2011 03:09:08 pm
      Be surprised if we sign more than 2 players on that list, don't expect us to sign Cahill or Jarvis to honest(you'd proably sign Turan for the same price you'd sign Jarvis).

I think the most likely signing on that list is Adam, who to be honest I don't think is a real priority and who I have my doubts would be a success in a team not built around him.

We need a M'Vila or a Diarra for midfield. I'd be gutted if we spent £50 million on them 4 players
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Mar 24, 2011 03:12:21 pm

I agree he's not as good as David Luiz but do you really think he would cost more than £20M? I thought he would be available for around £10M.

I like all the names mentioned, but I agree it would depend on the money to be spent. I would love to have a player like A. Young in our team and Jarvis has been impressive, but I definitely don't watch Wolves as much as have watched Aston Villa in the last years so it's harder to judge.

As for Charlie Adam, I don't think there are better players available for the kind of money required to take him away from Blackpool - he wants to leave, he'll only have 1 year left in his contract, Blackpool can't afford refusing a good offer. A player of his passing ability and creativity for perhaps less than £10M is a steal.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #13: Mar 24, 2011 03:19:14 pm
      Especially if Blackpool get relageted, we could get him fairly cheap then, just need to outbid Spurs.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #14: Mar 24, 2011 03:25:11 pm
      Corbally sometimes I think you don't rate players just because they play teams like 'Wigan, Blackpool or Wolves' that's not the attitude to have.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #15: Mar 24, 2011 03:28:03 pm
      Charlie Adam will go for around £10 million, they are talking about Cahill for £20 million because of Arsenal interest, Ashley should cost max £15 million because of the length of his contract and Jarvis due to being the flavour of the month with his England call up could cost up to £15 million.

So I think we could be talking about close to £60 million for the 4 and that is exactly why I would buy British players they are massively over priced and if there is £60 million to spend I expect it to be spent on better quality and for us to compete for the title next season.

I don't think barring maybe Ashley Young they would make that much difference to our starting 11. I want Suarez type signings, top class players not gambles for that sort of money, fairly obvious the quality of Suarez as it was with Luiz for Chelsea.

I'd actually be in favour of no British signings at all. I bet reds if you check my record on here with signings over the last 2 and a half years you might be very surprised, I called a hell of a lot of them.

I don't think some people on here realise the step of up from being a star at a small club to being just another cog at a big club.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #16: Mar 24, 2011 03:29:01 pm
      Yes but we need depth Corbally, that was the big thing that came out the Braga games.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #17: Mar 24, 2011 03:31:02 pm
      Like the sound of Cahill and Adams but not Young. I think Adams could do a job similar to what Steve Mcmahon brought to us (dertermination, grit and could play a bit!).
      I dunno, I don't think Adams could come out of retirement at 44 and switch to midfield, could be wrong though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: Mar 24, 2011 03:32:26 pm
      So what we spend £50 million f**king plus on adding depth, f**k that for that money you could buy 2 Suarez style signings as long as you don't buy British players, our young players will also be a year older and I expect to see some of them next season, Wisdom and Sterling being examples.

Adam and McMahon should never be compared they are completely different midfielders, Adam can't run for starters and if your playing him for the defensive side of the game we will be in serious trouble
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #19: Mar 24, 2011 03:35:03 pm
      No, Cahill 15, Jarvis 10, Adam 5/10.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #20: Mar 24, 2011 03:36:24 pm
      Like the idea of signing premiership players rather than foreign lads who have never kicked a ball in england or prospects who are meant to be the next messi but never are, but out of the 4 players I would only take Ashley Young as a certainty. He is pure class. Id take Adam at the right price.

Not very fussed on either Jarvis or Cahill. Both over rated IMO.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #21: Mar 24, 2011 03:39:12 pm
      Young, Marveux and Jarvis would give us plenty of depth on the wing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #22: Mar 24, 2011 03:40:54 pm
      I'll bet you now that all the players mentioned go for higher prices except Adam who will go for £10 million.

Buying British is a disaster while I'm delighted to have Carroll his price tag says it all as well as the British players City bought, ie Milner and Lescott.

The players mentioned would not make that much difference to the starting 11 barring maybe Young.

Might get hammered for this but don't think there is much between Skrtel and Cahill and would bet if Skrtel was English and playing with Bolton the talk would be about Skrtel.

Also I think over time Kuyt will provide more assists and goal then Jarvis from the right side.

So Carroll did you not like the signing of Suarez would you not like the signing of Luiz, buying British is a stupid F***ing policy who only manager of the calibre of Hodgson think it will be a success

Where will Adam play because he will be competing with Raul and Gerrard for a place because he is not a defensive midfielder and cannot play the role Lucas does

Quick Reply