Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Graeme (Bitter and) Sour-ness thread

Read 9156 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Graeme (Bitter and) Sour-ness thread
      Aug 21, 2009 12:49:06 pm
      Souness dig at Liverpool: Man Utd best team Owen has played for

Liverpool hero Graeme Souness has taken a dig at a couple of his old clubs over Manchester United's signing of Michael Owen.

The former Newcastle United manager said: "If Michael can keep fit, he will score goals for United.

“I might upset a few people by saying this, but Michael Owen has never played in such a good team with such good players as he will do this year.”

http://link

Ridiculous and abject nonsense! Souness must be bitter
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2009 10:52:57 am by JD »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Graeme (Bitter and) Sour-ness thread
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2009 01:00:32 pm
      I do know about that Graeme Owen played in some super teams with Liverpool, if anything I think this is the weakest Utd team I've seen in fifteen plus years(I know this might seem a bit of an exaggeration but I genuinely think player for player they are far from a strong team).

I know I might be a bit biased, but who is going to create all there goals, sure what age are Scholes and Giggs they must be near sixty :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2009 01:48:28 pm
      Souness must have Real Madrid amnesia, was Zidane Figo Raul Ronaldo Casillas Beckham etc all in the Madrid team when Owen was there ?...

Quality player as Souness was when he was here, I do not believe he has ever got over the hurt of his dissastrous tenure as manager and is allways readilly available to have a pop at the club these days.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2009 01:54:43 pm
      Souness must have Real Madrid amnesia, was Zidane Figo Raul Ronaldo Casillas Beckham etc all in the Madrid team when Owen was there ?...

Exactly what I thought. He was at Real with a lot of the Galactico's.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2009 01:55:31 pm
      Ever since he left LFC as a manager, he's always making snidey comments. He should stop being such a bitter tw*t and actually cheer the boys on!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2009 01:56:28 pm
      Coming from one of our best players in the 80's who no doubt messed us up as a manager in the 90's.

Do one Souness.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2009 01:57:03 pm
      I genuinely believe Michael Owen will score goals ....his strike ratio will probably be 1 goal from 20 attempts though ( midfielders score more than this ) the mancs midfield ...Hargreaves been injured for 2 years, Scholes and Giggs needing zimmers soon ,Always had rspect for Souness as a player but as a manager sadly lacking
      100%lfc4ever
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2009 02:05:29 pm
      What is he on about Owen played in some good liverpool sides-2001 treble team just being one of them,liverpool's first 11 against the scums first 11 today i think ours is much better it's just our strength in depth that let's us down and we know that that is down to the two planks i'm mean yanks not giving Rafa the money in the transfer market,Souness always seems to do and say the wrong things i remember him putting a Galatasary flag in the middle of the pitch against Fenerbache which nearly started a riot when he was manager their,he was a great player for us but that's as far as it goes he doesn't love the club like the true greats like Rushy and king Kenny who have criticised aspects of the team over the years but it has always been constructed criticism.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2009 02:18:01 pm
      Fair play to to the man his time at Anfield was a time of trophies and glory while his tenure as manager was an unmitigated disaster if he had gone to another club after LFC and proved himself he would have every right to make snide comments in fact he would have the right to say what the F**k he liked. As things stand however his management skills have been found wanting and presently he is apparently clubless . These are not the right credentials for somebody who wishes to bad mouth a former club which is on the brink of greatness.
      Cardy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2009 03:28:42 pm
      I can't believe this bitter man and the things he says about the club he served so well as a player but who was disasterous as manager and one of the main reasons we have not won the title for close on twenty years , as for this being the best team he has played for the 2001 /2002 team that won the treble and finished runners up to Arsenal were a far better tem than the present Man U team but this is the man who gave us such greats as Torben Pichnic and Neil Ruddock to name but a few .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2009 03:36:43 pm
      As much as i liked him as a player old souey has proved not all great players make good managers, him being prime example F***ing useless as a manager ,so what the fck would he know about creating a good team ,stick to golf graeme cos youre fcking rubbish as a manager and pundit .
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2009 03:44:12 pm
      Sorry Graeme, as much that I respected you as a former Liverpool player, I don't really respect your attitude towards the club that catapulted your fame in Europe. If you're saying that Man Utd suits Owen best, you're talking crap. When you're in charge of Liverpool, what have you done? Instead of making us the most feared side in Europe, you crushed us badly that it took several years for us to recover from the disastrous mishaps you've left us.

So, being polite enough just shut your mouth!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2009 03:51:49 pm
      What I really find funny coming from him is that he was the worst manager of all time in football history (:P) but instead of trying to help in any way, he is always so bitter and negative. I remember him slating Rafa before, wtf, wake up, what have you done as a manager to criticize Rafa? Look at the mirror, Souness. As much as I respect him for his time as a player, said to be a great player and captain, I can't stand him nowadays.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2009 07:01:00 pm
      Has a c**t for a brain, why are we following up that w**ker?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2009 07:05:58 pm
      Oh the irony, Graham. What next, Beardsley was your favourite player ever?
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2009 07:27:30 pm
      What the F**k Souey
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2009 07:33:02 pm
      Sir Alex called, said you left your boxers at his house Graham
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2009 07:48:04 pm
      He said he might upset a few people well I think you have upset a lot more than you think. Whatever happend to loyalty him and Lawrenson should be reminded of were they gained their fame and wealth,
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2009 07:53:46 pm
      Shouldn't Souness' comments be in the knee jerk thread?

They're such a load of b*llocks they must be a wind up. ???
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2009 07:55:52 pm
      Souness dig at Liverpool: Man Utd best team Owen has played for

Liverpool hero Graeme Souness has taken a dig at a couple of his old clubs over Manchester United's signing of Michael Owen.

The former Newcastle United manager said: "If Michael can keep fit, he will score goals for United.

“I might upset a few people by saying this, but Michael Owen has never played in such a good team with such good players as he will do this year.”

http://link

Ridiculous and abject nonsense! Souness must be bitter

The link is bums up by the way.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2009 07:59:47 pm
      Loved Souness as a player, but he should keep comments to himself.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2009 08:43:06 pm
       I think Souness must be getting horse racing tips from Owen. :laugh:
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2009 08:44:17 pm
      There seems to be two camps amongst ex Liverpool players, those who obviously still hold a fondness for the club and so are reluctant to lay the boot in (Hansen,Molby and Rush for example) and then the second lot who seem to want to be detrimental to the extreme in order to show they have no biased whatsover, Lawrenson is laughable and during European nights Jim Beglin borders on the embarrassing as he bends over backwards to avoid any sort of praise for his former employers but what annoys me more than anything is the way they kiss Fergies backside knowing full well what it means to the Liverpool fans who once idolised them.

Some people will do anything for money even if they have to upset those who loved them just to get their greedy hands on it, Owen knew what it meant to play for the Mancs but money and his psychopathic pursuit of elusive England caps came first,Lawro and Beglin are no marks and frankly their comments are like water off a ducks back but for a man like Souness who I once idolised to come out and have a sly pop knowing full well what the consequences would be is just a case of a former player grasping to stay in the limelight after all else has failed.

Mr Souness once left our club after appearing in a newspaper he shouldn't have, he claimed then he didn't understand the strength of feeling amongst the fans, well Graeme although this is obviously not on that scale it does seem to be a case of lightening striking twice and the cynic in me now wonders wether I should have given you the benefit of the doubt the first time round.

You do realise what a t*t your going to look when Owen doesn't break the 10 goal tally and spends next summer playing with his horses instead of being at the World Cup! ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #23: Aug 21, 2009 08:53:58 pm
      Is Hansen the only F***ing ex-player who supports us nowadays! (obviously I know there's a hell of a lot more but you catch my drift!).
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #24: Aug 21, 2009 09:04:39 pm
      I just can't understand why someone who was once idolised by the fans seems intent on upseting everyone associated with the club.

This is not the first time he has said something stupid and won't be the last.Obviously he wants to keep himself in the public eye but he going the wrong way about it, unless he just wants to be hated by us.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #25: Aug 21, 2009 09:12:30 pm
      Really don't care what ex players say...always a load of political bullshit when they spout inane comments.
      Owen's form and united's demise will be proof enough of his ignorance
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #26: Aug 21, 2009 09:38:20 pm
      Souness, unknowingly destroyed our club, left it in tatters, went walk about Britain and Europe for a few shilling. Destroyed a few more and those clubs supporters will blame the Scousers. I do not even acknowledge that he played for us any more. He will pop up again trying to convince some dickhead club that he can do a job for them. Everton come on down. Julian Dicks and twelve more pricks.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: Aug 21, 2009 09:46:06 pm
      Is Hansen the only f**king ex-player who supports us nowadays! (obviously I know there's a hell of a lot more but you catch my drift!).

You forgot Phil Thompson.  That guy is a true legend on Soccer Saturday and doesn't stand for any sh*t when it comes to pricks like Le Tissier and Merson bad mouthing Liverpool constantly. ;)

On the subject of Souness, I honestly don't think he's right in the head.  He's a regular 'pundit' during RTE Champion's League coverage in Ireland alongside Eamonn Dunphy and John Giles, who it has to be said, very rarely have a good word to say about Liverpool or Rafa.  To be fair to Souness, at times he defends us with admiration whilst Dunphy and Giles attack the way we play or go on about how poor a manager Rafa is...Souness has had a few heated arguments with the aformentioned pricks.  And there's other times, Souness joins in and spurts the most inane sh*te possible, and just makes you wonder if he even knows what he's talking about half the time.  But listening to him sort of makes you realise how he has generally failed as a manager in quite disastrous fashion at alot of clubs, including ours.  Awesome player though.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #28: Aug 21, 2009 09:51:42 pm
      I'd rather he took a jab at Liverpool than a job at Liverpool the bitter clown
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29: Aug 21, 2009 10:35:39 pm
      On your bike Souness!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #30: Aug 21, 2009 11:31:27 pm
      Maybe Souness didn't realise Owen cost to much in wages, and their was no way the paymasters would pay Owen's wages.

I do not no if Souness was having a pop at LFC, If anything he was supprised no-one picked Owen up, I know Hull tried and probably a few others but with the mancs coming in, how could he have said no, even though he knew it would incense the fans here, at the end of the day, he needed the work. I wont wish him good luck as I hope he has none, that way he can't come back and hurt us.....
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #31: Aug 22, 2009 06:07:49 am
      You forgot Phil Thompson.  That guy is a true legend on Soccer Saturday and doesn't stand for any sh*t when it comes to pricks like Le Tissier and Merson bad mouthing Liverpool constantly. ;)

On the subject of Souness, I honestly don't think he's right in the head.  He's a regular 'pundit' during RTE Champion's League coverage in Ireland alongside Eamonn Dunphy and John Giles, who it has to be said, very rarely have a good word to say about Liverpool or Rafa.  To be fair to Souness, at times he defends us with admiration whilst Dunphy and Giles attack the way we play or go on about how poor a manager Rafa is...Souness has had a few heated arguments with the aformentioned pricks.  And there's other times, Souness joins in and spurts the most inane sh*te possible, and just makes you wonder if he even knows what he's talking about half the time.  But listening to him sort of makes you realise how he has generally failed as a manager in quite disastrous fashion at alot of clubs, including ours.  Awesome player though.

Well said mattmcg. You beat me to it mate, Phil Thompson is absolute top drawer quality, and still shows the passion he has for our club now as he did as a player. A tremendous ambassador for Liverpool Football Club. As for Souness, as great a player as he was, a manager he could never be. After he destroyed Liverpool FC in his tenure he should have left the world of management, but he carried on and lost any standing and respect he had left.

As for the Owen comment, i'll just disregard anything he says until he starts showing some respect to the club that made him, and once he's gone into the Priory to sort out his blatantly obvious addiction to crack. w**ker.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 22, 2009 07:25:26 am
      Thommo and Hansen are spot on. Even though Souness does defend Liverpool on RTE at times he doesn't do it as vociferously as he should.
      Whelan and Houghton are also on RTE they seem to love Utd and Liverpool are never good enough. I get the impression that they don't want the team to do well i.e no one will be as good as we were in the Eighties.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #33: Aug 22, 2009 07:52:59 am
      F**k Souness was great as a player but done us massive damage of it, I dont think there is anything more he can say to upset us. His managerial stint was more than enough to fans of this club.

As far as Im concerned he can go and shave his balls with a broken beer bottle.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #34: Aug 22, 2009 11:13:19 am
      Thommo and Hansen are spot on. Even though Souness does defend Liverpool on RTE at times he doesn't do it as vociferously as he should.
       I get the impression that they don't want the team to do well i.e no one will be as good as we were in the Eighties.
      Hit the nail there mate in fact the vast majority of pundits and the media are scared shitless that LFC are on the brink of greatness once again, they remember with horror the glory DECADES of the 70's and 80's of manUre being relegated to the then 2nd division - happy days.
                                                            Liverpool Football Club has never courted the attention of the parasitic, glory hunting media and never will they can remain where they have nested in mankchester and london where the horseshit they expound is eagerly consumed.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #35: Aug 22, 2009 03:51:11 pm
      I'll admit that I think Utd's team today is better than the one we had when Owen was here, but its looking like it could be the weakest they've had in years. To say its going to be the best team he's ever played with is nonsense, the Real Madrid team was full of true legends.
      shaneconbutler
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #36: Aug 24, 2009 01:20:00 pm
      Is anyone really surprised. Souness is a complete tosser and don't even talk to me about that little runt Owen.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #37: Aug 24, 2009 06:19:24 pm
      Souness ---great player and a bad manager who fu**ed our club up!
      gerrardisgod
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #38: Aug 25, 2009 01:43:31 am
      I ignore everything he does/says now.the guys a complete arse.hes fu**ed up every club hes ever managed.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #39: Aug 25, 2009 10:00:23 am
      Souness, unknowingly destroyed our club,

Says it all really. Great player, but after his managerial tenure, he left our club in tatters.

Don't give 2 shits as to what he has to say, he's an arse.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #40: Aug 25, 2009 10:06:14 am
      And no one has mentioned Jamie Redknapp - so far up Richard Keys and Andy Grays backsides.

Also speaks mostly garbage about Rafa and LFC while contstantly backing up everything his mates, Lampard, Rooney etc do even if they are sh*t that day.
      dangargan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 25, 2009 04:14:22 pm
      If only your punditry was half as good as your tash growing skills you manc bumming gobsh*te
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #42: Aug 25, 2009 05:23:18 pm
      Sell outs. Supposedly Liverpool greats! Shameful. I agree they have to be unbiased. Doesn't mean they have to wrongly criticise everything Liverpool FC does. Sounness is jealous he could not do it at LFC as manager and Jamie is a wannabe LFC manager. Thats why they are at Rafas throat. Sellouts
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #43: Aug 25, 2009 06:00:41 pm
      He should know, he turned this club into a mess until Roy Evens resurrected it, he doesn't like Rafa, probably because he's a foreigner, that's how fickle I find this guy. Souness we all know you enjoy Ferguson over Rafa but do you have to make it that obvious, and by doing that you know you will antagonise the fans of LFC. Why do you do it.......
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #44: Aug 28, 2009 09:28:42 pm
      Quote from Brian Reades book 44 Years with my Bird.Page 230.
      Souness to BR
      'Awhh,do me afavour,wii ya?Don't f***in patronize me.Every time imeet a Liverpool fanthey tell me i wasa fantastic player but a sh*te manager.And it pisses me off no end.'
      Isaid nothing.Idid'nt need tobecause my eyes said it for me.
      'But you were Graeme.You wer.'
      Says it all
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #45: Aug 28, 2009 10:59:17 pm
      Souness is just bitter cause he can't manage and all he does is go on a sunbed and drink the ugly tw*t!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #46: Nov 06, 2009 09:11:03 am
      Souness: Only the Liverpool fans are saving Rafa

Former Liverpool boss Graeme Souness believes that only the loyalty of the club's fans has saved Rafa Benitez from the sack.

The Anfield legend, who also enjoyed a distinguished playing career on Merseyside, is adamant that had the current Reds boss been at any other top club, he would have been shown the door by now.

Benitez endured another desperate blow this week in what is fast turning into a nightmare season, when his injury ravaged side conceded a stoppage time goal against Lyon that has put them on the brink of a Champions League exit.

Souness, who is one of the current Liverpool manager's most vociferous critics, believes the malaise runs deeper, and he argued Benitez has made too many mistakes to be immune from the most rigorous of scrutiny.

"My criticism is what I've mentioned before. I think he's been there five years, and spent more money than anybody else other than Chelsea," Souness told Sky Sports.

"What I can tell you is that if Rafa had been at any other club, any other big club, whether it be Arsenal, Man United or Chelsea, he wouldn't be there because I don't think the supporters at those clubs are like Liverpool supporters.

"I think Liverpool fans will be a bit more patient and give a manager a bit more time."

Souness though, believes that time is fast running out for the Liverpool boss, especially after what he saw as a sub-standard performance in Lyon.

The former Reds captain, who won three European Cups at Anfield, was unimpressed with the draw in France that leaves the English club requiring a miracle - in the words of their manager - to reach the knockout stage of the Champions League.

Benitez believes the fates are currently conspiring against him, with 14 players struck down by illness and injury in the past week.

But Souness added: "Injuries are part of the game, especially when you get to November time. That's when they kick in generally.

"I think what's behind the first XI isn't good enough to go and win games like that in Lyon.

"Lyon aren't a great team. Lyon won at Anfield then lost 4-1 at Nice in the next game they played."

God sake that is now 2 a piece that him and Whelan have taken a pop at Rafa.

You wouldn't think these were Ex-Reds the way they are hammering us.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #47: Nov 06, 2009 09:14:33 am
      End of the day Graeme, Rafa is ten times the manager you were, so jog on.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #48: Nov 06, 2009 09:26:29 am
      Sour grapes from someone who went from being a legendary player to almost destroying the club as a manager.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #49: Nov 06, 2009 09:30:20 am
      Learned a long time ago not listen to anything Souness comes out with. Tw*t
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Nov 06, 2009 09:38:57 am
      Former Liverpool boss Graeme Souness believes that only the loyalty of the club's fans has saved Rafa Benitez from the sack.

Might also be something to do with the fact the owners can not afford 20 million to sack him or maybe just maybe Graeme they see they continuity as the key the key to success have you ever thought of that ?

The Anfield legend, who also enjoyed a distinguished playing career on Merseyside, is adamant that had the current Reds boss been at any other top club, he would have been shown the door by now.

How long was it before Fergie won the League with Man United yet the board stuck by him ?, bearing in mind Fergie had not been to European Cup finals winning one of them and an Fa cup triumph in that time either.

Benitez endured another desperate blow this week in what is fast turning into a nightmare season, when his injury ravaged side conceded a stoppage time goal against Lyon that has put them on the brink of a Champions League exit.

Souness, who is one of the current Liverpool manager's most vociferous critics, believes the malaise runs deeper, and he argued Benitez has made too many mistakes to be immune from the most rigorous of scrutiny.

He's not exempt from any scrutiny at all, just like you as Liverpool manager Graham, he's made some shocking signings, how ever you took over the most successful club in england at the pinacle of its success with the full backing of the board, you could have signed any world star yet you gave us Julian Dicks & Mark Walters and threw tea cups around the dressing room because of your tactical ineptitude.

"My criticism is what I've mentioned before. I think he's been there five years, and spent more money than anybody else other than Chelsea," Souness told Sky Sports.

Come on Graeme your a football man, do some research on the club you apparently love Rafa's average yearly net spend averages out little over 14 million, he has to sell to buy to compete with Arsenal Chelsea & United, make your argument factual or you just look bitter.

"What I can tell you is that if Rafa had been at any other club, any other big club, whether it be Arsenal, Man United or Chelsea, he wouldn't be there because I don't think the supporters at those clubs are like Liverpool supporters.

Whats Arsenal won over the last few years ? Chelsea have not exactly been successfull for teh last couple of years either, did Man Utd not have a slow start last campaign ? is Fergie still there ?

"I think Liverpool fans will be a bit more patient and give a manager a bit more time."

Just like the Utd fans gave Fergie 7 years ?

Souness though, believes that time is fast running out for the Liverpool boss, especially after what he saw as a sub-standard performance in Lyon.

Substandard performance against Lyon ?, sure you wern't watching Everton in the Europa League ?, or is your hate of Rafa blinding your vision ?

The former Reds captain, who won three European Cups at Anfield, was unimpressed with the draw in France that leaves the English club requiring a miracle - in the words of their manager - to reach the knockout stage of the Champions League.

Benitez believes the fates are currently conspiring against him, with 14 players struck down by illness and injury in the past week.

But Souness added: "Injuries are part of the game, especially when you get to November time. That's when they kick in generally.

Injuries are part and parcel of teh game you are correct but any manager in world football would struggle if they had injuries doubts over 12 first team player ya F***ing numpty !!!!

"I think what's behind the first XI isn't good enough to go and win games like that in Lyon.

Your probably correct again thats all part of the building process, nice you didnt mention Rafa has built a starting XI that when fully fit would compete with any Starting XI in world football.

"Lyon aren't a great team. Lyon won at Anfield then lost 4-1 at Nice in the next game they played."

Lyon are playing Champions League football and are a decent team.. Take your bitter anti Rafa views and stick them as far up your arse as you possibly can, your supposed to be a Liverpool man get behind the gaffer and the team ffs, you were a massive success as a player here, failed miserably as a manager don't tarnish your reputation further by taking pot shots at the club thank you.

SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #51: Nov 06, 2009 09:40:11 am
      He is one of the pundits that I dont mind listening to because he can talk from experience with what he achieved as a player with us and generally I think talks a lot of sense.

That said this current tirade of non stop Rafa bashing takes the piss and is uncalled for. The figures he quotes are wrong as one poster on here recently published re spending, he forgets the fact that Rafa has had to build the squad from virtually zero and its not as if we havent won anything since he came. Lst year was our best in the premiership ffs..!

Souness should shut up - he is in the public eye and just gives the usual press w@nkers plenty to write about on their favourite topic.

Rafa has made mistakes we all know that and some of his decisions we dont agree with but Souness should look at the bigger picture before confrming to type with most of our ex players ala Whelan, Redknapp etc.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #52: Nov 06, 2009 09:42:09 am
      I've said it before, fantastic player for us, sh*t manager, and just a complete w**ker now.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #53: Nov 06, 2009 09:44:53 am
      RedLFCBlood - good post and same points I am referring to.

I wish some of these arsehole bitter ex players would read these boards sometimes, it seems we as fans are more aware than they are.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #54: Nov 06, 2009 09:50:41 am
      I didn't even read it. That's what I think of him.

He fu**ed our club up, so he has no right criticising our manager, our team, or even our owners. F**k off.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #55: Nov 06, 2009 09:55:28 am
      RedLFCBlood - good post and same points I am referring to.

To be honest mate I'm just saying it as I see it and what I'm seeing at the minute is bitterness of an ex manager who failed at Liverpool so triumphantly, the only rivalry to his success as a failure was the FA cup win against Sunderland in 92. Souness is a man who who had been buying mediocre players for years at Rangers but due to to the poor quality of the league he was having success, he tried the same at Liverpool, how ever his transfer dealings, tactical nous and man management skills got found wanting and I believe he remains bitter about his failure as our manager to this very day.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #56: Nov 06, 2009 10:23:04 am
      Getting sick of the people calling for Rafas head now. Especially if their associated with Liverpool FC. Its so disappointing to see.

From what i've seen, most of us appear to back Rafa and want him in charge of the team for as long as possible. I can imagine the players hoping for the same. Its not his fault the club are run by two cowboys who haven't got a clue about business, never mind football.

So for people to come out and say they want Rafa sacked isn't going to help a thing. Will just put him under more pressure, the players under pressure, and things have the potential to go from bad to worse.

I know the KOP will be singing his name throughout against Birmingham but f*ucking hell i just wish these pundits, press, whatever will just f*uck off and leave us alone.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Nov 06, 2009 10:28:57 am
      I remain adamant in my belief that Souness (the manager), single-handedly, wrecked everything that had gone before at Liverpool and we haven't (to-date) been able to recover. Maybe i'm wrong but I despise him for that.

I give the man no credence, what so ever.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #58: Nov 06, 2009 10:34:17 am
      I remain adamant in my belief that Souness (the manager), single-handedly, wrecked everything that had gone before at Liverpool and we haven't (to-date) been able to recover. Maybe i'm wrong but I despise him for that.

No, you're absolutely right. Not only was his managerial time at Liverpool a disaster but it happened at the worst time. Between arriving in 1991 and leaving in 1994, he filled the squad with second rate players and we lost ground on the other big teams. During that period came the creation of the Premier League AND the re-branding of the European Cup to the Champions League, both in 1992 I believe. So essentially, we were at our lowest point for decades just as the big money started to come into English football. ManUre were getting into the CL and raking it in and we were left playing catch up. It was always going to take a long time to recover from that unless we had our own Abramovich or Abu Dhabi United Group.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #59: Nov 06, 2009 10:40:42 am
      Forgot Stan Collymore as well - keeps having a dig.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #60: Nov 06, 2009 10:41:23 am
      I remain adamant in my belief that Souness (the manager), single-handedly, wrecked everything that had gone before at Liverpool and we haven't (to-date) been able to recover. Maybe I'm wrong but I despise him for that.

I give the man no credence, what so ever.

Have to agree mate, I was unlucky enough to see him destroy Liverpool FC, as the club was at its pinnacle of success he single handedly went about ripping the heart out of the team and set us into a decline from the powerhouse that we were known as to also rans for many years, we as a club are still counting the costs of his failure to this very day so as a former ex red I respect what he achieved as a player, but when it comes to criticising the manager due to his own failings, he's not qualified to do so.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #61: Nov 06, 2009 10:49:25 am
      Envious b***ard souness,back off from rafa you fergie brown nosing c**t.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #62: Nov 06, 2009 11:15:38 am
      Have to agree with you Redlfcblood, I to watched what Souness the manager did here, I remember thinking he's crazy to sell Peter Beardsley to Everton, he was my idol, with him and Barnes up front we were untouchable, and he F***ing sold him to Everton. So get off Rafa's back or is it you want us to fail, if we get rid of Rafa that will more than litely be the outcome.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #63: Nov 06, 2009 11:30:05 am
      Have to agree with you Redlfcblood, I to watched what Souness the manager did here, I remember thinking he's crazy to sell Peter Beardsley to Everton,

I agree mate selling Beardsley to Everton was sacrilege of the highest order, in Barnes and Beardsley we had two of the most creative players of their generation both were magicians in their own right and were magical to watch, that in itself set the precedent of failure for his tenure as manager IMO.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #64: Nov 06, 2009 11:35:12 am
      Liverpool's worst manager since the Second World War.  Inherited, fair enough a team getting old, but still a team filled with talented players.

Didn't last 3 years.  Managed to win the FA Cup but also did a lovely full page spread interview with The S*n.

Won 47 out of 115 League games.  Averaging 1.52 points per game.

Rafa averages 1.93 points per game.

Alex Ferguson averages 1.93 points per game.

I don't have any time for the comments of the only Liverpool manager to have been sacked mid-season in the last 50 years.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #65: Nov 06, 2009 11:42:22 am
      I agree mate selling Beardsley to Everton was sacrilege of the highest order, in Barnes and Beardsley we had two of the most creative players of their generation both were magicians in their own right and were magical to watch, that in itself set the precedent of failure for his tenure as manager IMO.
      He's a complete whopper Daz - his errors of judgement are well documented and are the only consistent factor of his career, and what is he doing that changes our conception of him? even less than he was doing previously which was F**k all to be honest the man is an embarrassment.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #66: Nov 06, 2009 11:42:30 am
      I have a manc mate down the pub and his favourite line is this (the best thing ever to happen for us utd was liverpool giving souness the manager,s job fcking wrecked you ) that just about sums up his time in charge of us .
      A great captain great midfielder but sh*t manager and now a shithouse of a pundit.
      A question why do all failed managers and ordinary players think they have the right to question successfull ones?. 
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #67: Nov 06, 2009 11:50:59 am

Whats Arsenal won over the last few years ? Chelsea have not exactly been successfull for teh last couple of years either, did Man Utd not have a slow start last campaign ? is Fergie still there ?

Don't think you can use Chelsea in this bit, they haven't been successful, but they have had a revolving door of managers. Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Hiddink and now Ancelotti
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #68: Nov 06, 2009 12:01:41 pm
      Have to agree mate, I was unlucky enough to see him destroy Liverpool FC, as the club was at its pinnacle of success he single handedly went about ripping the heart out of the team and set us into a decline from the powerhouse that we were known as to also rans for many years, we as a club are still counting the costs of his failure to this very day so as a former ex red I respect what he achieved as a player, but when it comes to criticising the manager due to his own failings, he's not qualified to do so.

Spot on.  He must rate as one of the worst managers we ever had.  He got rid of players like Beardsley, McMahon and Houghton, replaced them with "talent" like Stewart, Dicks, Piechnik, Walters, etc to name a few.  The number of injuries the squad suffered under him was untrue and according to Rushie in his autobiography, were all down to Souness and his training methods.  He devastated the club so for him to come out now and spout this crap is unbelievable.

He was a brilliant player and a fantastic captain, but a sh*te manager, who too often has a dig at us.  I wish he and the other ex Reds would just shut up and stop feeding the media with crap like this.  And if they really don't give a toss any more about Liverpool and want to mouth off, then at least get their facts right.  Morons.   :f_steam:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #69: Nov 06, 2009 12:08:38 pm
      Don't think you can use Chelsea in this bit, they haven't been successful, but they have had a revolving door of managers. Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Hiddink and now Ancelotti

Yes mate you can use Chelsea as an example as that for me just "Highlights" that "Stability" Is the key for "Prolonged Success", They had solid foundations in the Mourhino era but failed to build on them with the constant chopping & changing of managers. Utd stood by Fergie when he wasn't winning things, Chelsea never afforded Mourhino that luxury and he was winning things... Rafa is the right man in my eyes and no ex player pundit or media outlet is going to tell me otherwise I'm a little more insightful than that and as a grown man I'm able to do my own research and make my own opinions.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #70: Nov 06, 2009 12:14:40 pm
      I have a manc mate down the pub and his favourite line is this (the best thing ever to happen for us utd was liverpool giving souness the manager,s job fcking wrecked you ) that just about sums up his time in charge of us .
      A great captain great midfielder but sh*t manager and now a shithouse of a pundit.
      A question why do all failed managers and ordinary players think they have the right to question successfull ones?.  
      I remember when Souness was in charge or to be exact just prior to him getting the bullet and the fact is if the man would have been spotted in town he would undoubtedly have been the subject of some rancour and that is the understatement of all time, for what he did to the club. Souness achieved what no manager past or present has ever done - to be hated and vilified during his tenure and in the years following.
      If there were extenuating or mitigating factors to be considered it would have been done long before now but the truth is the man can't help himself he is consumed by his own arrogance and greed and continues to dig a deeper hole for himself.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #71: Nov 06, 2009 12:16:26 pm
      I respect what he did for us as a player, but he's getting on my F***ing nerves. How has he the cheek to come out with some of this rubbish I don't know. Rafa inherited a pretty poor team by Liverpool's standards. He brought in Alonso and Garcia and lead us to our first Champions League trophy in over 20 years in his first season.

A few ex 'Reds' are starting to piss me off at the moment.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #72: Nov 06, 2009 12:31:12 pm
      Souness's record as Liverpool manager

Liverpool    England    16 April 1991-28 January 1994 played 157 Won 65 Drawn 45 Lost 47 Win% 41.40

* FA Cup winners: 1992
      * FA Charity Shield runners–up: 1992

Rafa's record as Liverpool manager

Liverpool    England    16 June 2004-Present  Played 311 Won 179 Drawn 64 Lost 68 Win% 057.56

* FA Cup
      o Winner (1): 2006
      * FA Community Shield
      o Winner (1): 2006
      * UEFA Champions League
      o Winner (1): 2004–05
      o Runner-Up (1): 2006-07
      * European Super Cup
      o Winner (1): 2005
      * Football League Cup
      o Runner-Up (1): 2004-05
      * FIFA Club World Cup
      o Runner-Up (1): 2005

Individual Awards

* FA Premier League Manager of the Month
      o Winner (5): November 2005, December 2005, January 2007, October 2008, March 2009
      * UEFA Manager of the Year
      o Winner (2): 2003–04, 2004–05

Looks like your not fit to lick Rafa's boots let alone to pass comments on him,.Thanks for your achievements as a player and captain you were a great servant to the club in your day, how ever due to your tenure failings as a manager of this great club, it leaves you in an embarrassing situation regarding your calls for Rafa Benitez's head.

el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #73: Nov 06, 2009 12:33:07 pm
      He got rid of the boot-room,we got rid of him lost some of my respect sorry but he's talkin' through his A**E.
      remy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts |
      Reply #74: Nov 06, 2009 12:50:02 pm
      Loved him as as player for us, never forgave him for selling his story to that rag of a paper lost all respect after that.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #75: Nov 06, 2009 12:53:29 pm
      IMO I love Rafa, but manager are judged on trophies, our last trophy was in 2006, by the time we get a chance to win another that would have been 4 years ago. Not good enough really.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5012 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #76: Nov 06, 2009 12:54:32 pm
      Greame f***in Souness, you along with Whelan Collymore Beglin et al, Were once respected LFC players, Now you are all complete gobshites who in all honesty have'nt got a clue how to manage a football club, Only souness has had a go but has failed miserably wherever he has been appointed, You all sit there in a nice wee cosy studio pontificating on how Rafa should have done this or that, Why he did'nt do this way or that, etc etc,If you all had something positive and maybe even constructive to say then maybe we fans would still hold some esteem for you, But since you are clearly all against what Rafa has tried to do i suggest you keep your opinions to yourselves, There is enough bullshit being spouted by the pro Manure media without ex players adding to it, So why don't you all F**k off up the east lancs and you can all suck each others cocks around Fergies table.    :f_steam:

YNWA     IRWT  
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #77: Nov 06, 2009 12:55:55 pm
      How can he slag off one of the managers who have the difficult task of making us great again after he contributed to our downfall?

Great player. Sh*t manager. Shouldn't really be commenting.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #78: Nov 06, 2009 01:05:15 pm
      This w**ker inherited one of the greatest Liverpool sides ever and still managed to make a complete bollocks of it. Himself and Owen are the same breed. F***ing traitors.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #79: Nov 06, 2009 01:28:06 pm
      I think Souness is a prime example of a man who has lost any significance to the footballing world and wants to try and claim some of it back. He is the reason we haven't won the title for 20 years, I mean how could he fail with the foundations we had at that time, yet he still passed judgement on others.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #80: Nov 06, 2009 01:38:03 pm
      Mr Graeme Souness, in case you hadn't noticed sir, Rafael Benitez is rebuilding for a reason. The reason being a certain ex-player (and an awesome player he was, respect due for that) took the reins some time ago now, and single handedly destroyed the club by himself. Rafa is rebuilding or cleaning up YOUR mess. You had a go, you fu**ed it up, now please accept it like a man and move on. You obviously are still affected by your ineptitude as a manager, but there is no need to take your bitterness out on our manager, who is doing a damn better job than you ever f**king did.

After reading your comments, I seriously doubt if you feel any affiliation with our club anymore. To be honest, it is a shame that a player who achieved cult status amongst the clubs fans can disrespect the people who made him who he WAS. I use the word 'WAS' because that is who you were, now you are a bitter and twisted tw*t, and I might even say jealous b***ard, because Rafa is building something special here, not taking something special and destroying it.

Now f**k off and wedge your head up Purple Nose' arsehole you big nosed, curly haired c**t!

The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #81: Nov 06, 2009 01:57:15 pm
      Interesting perspective on Souness' time in charge

http://tomkinstimes.com/2009/11/cult-of-the-clueless/
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #82: Nov 06, 2009 01:58:33 pm
      IMO I love Rafa, but manager are judged on trophies, our last trophy was in 2006, by the time we get a chance to win another that would have been 4 years ago. Not good enough really.

Sorry, that's a cliché.

Managers should be judged on everything they do, and the problems they have to solve.

For me, last year was better than any Carling Cup win could ever be.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #83: Nov 06, 2009 02:14:21 pm

Sorry, that's a cliché.

Managers should be judged on everything they do, and the problems they have to solve.

For me, last year was better than any Carling Cup win could ever be.

Ok but how long are you willing to wait for a trophy? Yeah it's good we finished 2nd in the league, our best performance in years. But before that the closest we've come to a trophy was the Champions League final in 2007?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #84: Nov 06, 2009 02:18:59 pm
      Ok but how long are you willing to wait for a trophy? Yeah it's good we finished 2nd in the league, our best performance in years. But before that the closest we've come to a trophy was the Champions League final in 2007?
      Until the man gets a level playing field and has the opportunity to display the football genius WE ALL know he possesses
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #85: Nov 06, 2009 02:37:22 pm

Mate there is no team in the league that has a divine right to any Trophies, but how you are saying it kind of reflects that you believe we do... Winning trophies is about building a side that's capable of competing for them and in all honesty when you look at Rafa's 5 years here that's exactly what he has done and will do so until he either calls it or a day or is released from his position.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,279 posts | 8590 
      Reply #86: Nov 06, 2009 04:10:37 pm

Still better than Souness!!

On your point why is "The Chosen One" still in a job?
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #87: Nov 06, 2009 04:25:12 pm
      Of course Souness was a masterful manager who all the fans and players adored and who won a succesion of trophies with Liverpool oops I meant Rangers.
      rafasarmy
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #88: Nov 06, 2009 04:35:07 pm
      Why would a former very good player of this club say such things. Despicable.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #89: Nov 06, 2009 06:11:16 pm
      Souness broke our history and continuity.

I wouldnt have allowed him to go  shopping at Sainsburys let alone be allowed to handle a Transfer Budget.

Check Wikipedia for his Stats. .....Crap.

As bad as Burley.

Souness and Judas Little Mickey O in the same thread?   Well of course.

Some one needs to tell them both, that Life is like a goldfish bowl.

Eventually, all the sh*t sinks to to the bottom.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #90: Dec 15, 2009 05:32:41 am
      Isnt that illegal what he's doing. We're still paying for his mismanagement and now he wants to give his ADVICE on how to manage?!

He should be framed for that. F**king T**ser. You're time has thankfully gone. Should stop him from destroying LFC even more.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #91: Dec 15, 2009 05:36:50 am

Indeed.

Cult of the clueless is Souness.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #92: Dec 15, 2009 06:04:57 am
      management in football has always been about 'what have you done for me lately,' and rafa hasn't done much when it comes to hardware
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #93: Dec 15, 2009 06:10:50 am
      I didnt know that Rafa was in the IT industry.

Maybe silverware was the correct term you were looking for.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #94: Dec 15, 2009 06:56:28 am
      cute, but in this country trophies are sometimes called hardware, and since when did hardware always have to do with computers?

but how long do we let this go on? how much do we lose until it's no longer acceptable, how far in the table do we have to fall, do we stay 7th? rafa's got to pick it up, it's almost the new year. soon he'll lose the locker room, and without that he's finished
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #95: Dec 15, 2009 09:57:57 am
      cute, but in this country trophies are sometimes called hardware, and since when did hardware always have to do with computers?

but how long do we let this go on? how much do we lose until it's no longer acceptable, how far in the table do we have to fall, do we stay 7th? rafa's got to pick it up, it's almost the new year. soon he'll lose the locker room, and without that he's finished
      Read Carra's autobiography, one line I always remember 'How can a manager lose the dressing room? I can't recall a manager ever even having the dressing room' Or along those lines anyway. Rafa has done a cracking job for the last 5 years, and now people want him sacked because of 15 or so games. Ridiculous.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #96: Dec 15, 2009 04:52:00 pm
      Graeme Souness -  the biggest mistake Liverpool, Newcastle, Blackburn and Southampton ever made
      by Claire Bee

The key to being a great manager is consistency. Unfortunately for Souey, he's consistently bad. His dire record in the Premier League must surely rank him as the worst we've seen.

Many names are worthy of consideration for the title of the worst Premier League manager of all time.

Chris Hutchins has had two attempts and failed to see November out both times. Sunderland hardly covered themselves in glory during the Mick McCarthy campaigns, and Christian Gross seemed out of his depth and destined for the sack almost from the moment Tottenham appointed him.

No doubt there are other names worthy of adding to this list but in the end, and after much consideration, my vote goes to a man who has managed four different teams in the Premier League and left a trail of destruction in his wake each time. If you really hate your club, then there's only one man for the job - Graeme Souness.
      'At Southampton, Souness managed to top his record of making poor signings by bringing the worst player to have ever played top-flight football to the club - Ali Dia'

His managerial career started off brightly enough, enjoying enough success at Rangers that, when a permanent replacement for Kenny Dalglish was needed, Liverpool offered him a chance to move to the Premier League.

It takes a special kind of incompetence to join a club where finishing second is viewed as a disappointment and to then turn that club into also-rans. During his four seasons he managed to win a solitary FA Cup - helped largely by a favourable draw - and managed to sign a succession of low-quality players.

The boot room which had served admirably since the days of Shankly was disbanded and with it went the years of dominance Liverpool had enjoyed. Two sixth-place finishes in the league were unacceptable for a team that hadn't finished outside the top two for over a decade and, when they were knocked out of the FA Cup by Bristol City, he resigned.

Following a spell working in Turkey, Souness returned to the Premier League at Southampton, where he lasted just one year. During this time he managed to top his record of making poor signings by bringing the worst player to have ever played top-flight Football to the club - Ali Dia.

In mitigation he would point to being conned, but simple checks should have highlighted that he was not the Senegalese international, former Paris St Germain player and cousin of George Weah that he claimed to be.

Quite what the lower league teams that had rejected him after trials thought when they saw him make his debut (and only) appearance for Southampton history doesn't recall. His performance was so bad that, despite being brought on as a substitute, he was himself subbed after playing for around 50 minutes.

A poor spell at Benfica followed, before Souey took the reins at Blackburn and guided them back into the Premier League. His time here started brightly enough - they won the League Cup in 2002. However, Souness being Souness it couldn't last and promising youngsters were sold and replaced by signings of his usual quality. His tenure ended amid talk of arguments with players and poor results.

It was therefore surprising that he left having been offered the manager's job at Newcastle. He immediately set about falling out with players there, and spending a considerable transfer budget poorly. Whilst sitting 15th in the league the Newcastle fans cast the final verdict on his managerial career as chants of "Souness out" echoed around St James' Park. The board quickly granted their wishes.

Some managers perform poorly at a single club but Souness has managed to do so consistently despite being given the opportunities most managers can only dream about. He can't hide behind excuses such as not being given the money to compete.

It is for this reason that I nominate him as the worst Premier League manager - so far, of course. Who knows who might challenge him for this dubious honour in the future!
      http://www.sportingo.com/football/a8122_graeme-souness-biggest-mistake-liverpool-newcastle-blackburn-southampton-ever-made
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #97: Dec 15, 2009 05:43:47 pm

Quick Reply