Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

The unsettling of Liverpool FC players by Rafa Benitez

Read 9443 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      The unsettling of Liverpool FC players by Rafa Benitez
      Aug 27, 2010 12:30:05 am
      I feel the need to mention this.

I can recall that Rafa did not want to offer Dirk Kuyt a new contract at Anfield; not unless his own situation was sorted out first. I can still remember Dirk Kuyt talking about how Rafa asked him to wait until his own situation was sorted out first, which had him (Dirk) wondering if his future at Anfield is tied to Rafa's future at Anfield.

If Roy Hodgson says Rafa signed an agreement to keep of Liverpool FC players, why then is he unsettling our core players with Inter invitation? He has always had the full support of the fans; doesn't he think for a second that, whatever hurts the club hurts the fans who have stood by him these past six years?

There was that news report that Inter was offering something in the region of twenty million for Mascherano; turns out it was six million pounds plus Sully Muntari. Is that even an offer or a mockery of the Liverpool FC/Mascherano situation?

Love Rafa but really not impressed with his antics. I think it's disrespectful to the Club, the Fan and the city.

Yeah I said it.
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2010 12:35:32 am by solodee »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: The unsettling of Liverpool FC players by Rafa Benitez
      Reply #1: Aug 27, 2010 01:12:08 am
      Rafa has come out and said that at Inter he has nothing to do with transfers, it is up to the technical director and president.

So what ever was brought to the table was decided upon by the technical director and club management and not the COACH which is what Rafa has stated he is.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Aug 27, 2010 01:14:52 am
      As much as Rafa is still part of peoples hearts, he is now the enemy.

He'll always be welcome round my neck of the woods, but while he's another manager, I won't trust him.
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 27, 2010 01:27:31 am
      Rafas the coach not the manager at Inter he doesnt decide who Inter sign.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8947916.stm
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Aug 27, 2010 01:30:10 am
      After what Rafa did for this city, I'd dare say it's a little disrespectful to him to say he is disrespecting the city itself, and the fans. He did a lot for us.

The fact is, as Kenny pointed out - as much as he is in our hearts - he is now the enemy. And I don't blame him. The Masch situation has been going on for a long time, before Rafa was Inter coach. He may as well take advantage if he can, provided he has the funds that we deserve.

And Kuyt? Well I have not heard anything from Rafa himself saying he wanted him, just from the directors as Dado mentioned. But I'm sure Rafa has mentioned he loved having him on the team or something, so naturally the club may have targeted him.

Anyone thought that the reason nothing more has come up, apart from the Masch situation, maybe down to Rafa actually telling the club he doesn't want to pursue our players too heavily? Kuyt was nothing much more than talk I felt, and none of our others have reallt been linked. Maybe Rafa is trying to honor that agreement?
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2010 01:31:39 am
      I believe Rafa when he says it isn't him going after our players.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Aug 27, 2010 01:32:06 am
      Rafas the coach not the manager at Inter he doesnt decide who Inter sign.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8947916.stm

Have a listen to it mate. Listen to it properly as well.  ;)

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #7: Aug 27, 2010 01:36:16 am
      I think every coach/manager has some say in most signings, and who they want/need. Sometimes don't always get what they want though *cough* Parry *cough*
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #8: Aug 27, 2010 01:58:36 am
      After what Rafa did for this city, I'd dare say it's a little disrespectful to him to say he is disrespecting the city itself, and the fans. He did a lot for us.

The fact is, as Kenny pointed out - as much as he is in our hearts - he is now the enemy. And I don't blame him. The Masch situation has been going on for a long time, before Rafa was Inter coach. He may as well take advantage if he can, provided he has the funds that we deserve.

And Kuyt? Well I have not heard anything from Rafa himself saying he wanted him, just from the directors as Dado mentioned. But I'm sure Rafa has mentioned he loved having him on the team or something, so naturally the club may have targeted him.

Anyone thought that the reason nothing more has come up, apart from the Masch situation, maybe down to Rafa actually telling the club he doesn't want to pursue our players too heavily? Kuyt was nothing much more than talk I felt, and none of our others have reallt been linked. Maybe Rafa is trying to honor that agreement?

I believe the City did a whole lot for Rafa Benitez. If it had not been for the City and the fans therein, Rafa wouldn't have been at Anfield that long.

Rafa has won the Champions League, Europe Cup, FA Cup, Community Shield; and a second Champions League Final, an additional semi final, and two quarter finals Champions League outings; and who could ever forget the the 2008/2009 season when we made it to 2nd place. His attempts at returning Liverpool FC to glory is not what is under scrutiny here.

Inter milan suddenly wants Kuyt and Mascherano and you think Rafa has nothing to do with that? Please!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #9: Aug 27, 2010 02:01:22 am
      I believe the City did a whole lot for Rafa Benitez. If it had not been for the City and the fans therein, Rafa wouldn't have been at Anfield that long.

The city of Liverpool didn't. It was more likely to be cities such as Oslo, Dublin or Karachi. ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Aug 27, 2010 02:03:19 am
      Err I did not F***ing say he has nothing to do with it! I said of course Rafa would have probably mentioned the players he liked under him at Anfield, and therefore the club may pursue them. But there has been no statements by Benitez himself tgat I can recall so I honestly have not taken the Kuyt one too seriously.

And don't use Masch as an example here. He has been pushing for an exit for a couple years now, while Benitez was here as well.

FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #11: Aug 27, 2010 03:39:58 am
      Well apparently Hodgson said he wouldn't sign any Fulham players either, so why are we trying to sign Paul Konchesky?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2010 03:40:11 am
      Just to be clear, a lot of Italian football clubs are run very differently to English ones. Most of those who we'd call 'managers' here are actually more coaches of the first team over in Italy. Basically the guy who deals with the team on and off the pitch. All transfers and other business is conducted by other figures at the club. The most input Rafa would have would probably be advising whether the player would fit into the squad or not. Maybe he suggested going after Kuyt and Mascherano, that's entirely possible, but he's got nothing to do with that frankly insulting offer.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Aug 27, 2010 03:46:28 am
      Just to be clear, a lot of Italian football clubs are run very differently to English ones. Most of those who we'd call 'managers' here are actually more coaches of the first team over in Italy. Basically the guy who deals with the team on and off the pitch. All transfers and other business is conducted by other figures at the club. The most input Rafa would have would probably be advising whether the player would fit into the squad or not. Maybe he suggested going after Kuyt and Mascherano, that's entirely possible, but he's got nothing to do with that frankly insulting offer.

Spot on.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Aug 27, 2010 04:44:56 am
      Well apparently Hodgson said he wouldn't sign any Fulham players either, so why are we trying to sign Paul Konchesky?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Exactly right mate.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #15: Aug 27, 2010 04:49:37 am

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Not exactly right.

They have made Konchesky for sale.

We have not made Kuyt for sale, that's obviously.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #16: Aug 27, 2010 08:21:47 am

...why then is he unsettling our core players with Inter invitation? He has always had the full support of the fans;

I just very confuse with many LFC supporters here. As long as I joint this forum (and as other fans forum long time back) what I can remember is Kuyt and Lucas are the players who alleged as worst player in the club's history. But what happened now he become 'CORE PLAYER' for us. It's really funny.

And regarding Kuyt's contract extension if it true as you mentioned, it tell us something, this proved how Rafa 'care' of his player, Rafa must considered that as everyday he heard people bashed on Dirk Kuyt so he didn't want Kuyt to stay with bad situation if him (Rafa) got sacked. This is kind of manager who think about his players with heart, not a 'COLD' man as many said about him.

---
      Sorry for my poor English.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2010 08:29:29 am
      To my knowledge, Rafa has said diddly squat about our players in the media.

He hasn't made any signings yet, so i feel he's getting blame for only targeting Liverpool players. Which is tosh.

If anything, it's Dirk's countryman Sneijder who wants him there. He hasnt shut his trap about Dirk going there.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #18: Aug 27, 2010 09:02:43 am
      To my knowledge, Rafa has said diddly squat about our players in the media.

He hasn't made any signings yet, so I feel he's getting blame for only targeting Liverpool players. Which is tosh.

If anything, it's Dirk's countryman Sneijder who wants him there. He hasnt shut his trap about Dirk going there.

When we wanted Gareth Barry, Gerrard talked about Barry coming to Liverpool FC in the press; but not until Liverpool FC wanted to sign him.

We all should know how these whole tapping and unsettling players using their fellow countrymen works. Messi didn't just start making all the noise in the press, Barcelona wanted him to do that. Inter milan wanted Sneider to do what he did concerning Kuyt.

If we were trying to sign Villa, Torres would be talking to the press, urging Barca to let Villa go.

That is how it works.

But when you're signing a player nobody gives a hoot about; like, say, Carlton Cole, Silence is suddenly golden.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Aug 27, 2010 01:54:47 pm
      If memory serves me right, solodee, Sneijder has been saying he would like to play with Dirk for a while.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Aug 27, 2010 02:38:03 pm
      Ask Sneijder to come here! Would be a quality signing for us!

Solodee, Rafa has a job at Inter. He left the club on good terms with the fans and naturally would feel disappointed for us, and for the club should we do badly. But hey, Inter is his job, if it means putting the best interests of Inter ahead of our sentiments then he will do it. There is no part for sentiments in this game if any manager wants to succeed!
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #21: Aug 27, 2010 04:58:14 pm
      People could say the same of Hodgeson and Fulham even when people know its Purslime that is doing all our dealing

Rafa is and in my eyes will always be a legend
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #22: Aug 27, 2010 05:12:14 pm
      Though it is a bit of a pain when clubs do it to players on your team but the reality is every club does this sort of thing so I never feel there is any right to complain.

Quick Reply