Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010

Read 12785 times
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010
      Reply #23: Aug 30, 2010 06:30:14 pm
      What's up with the konchesky Situation?

It's looking likely but until it's a done deal, I won't add it in.  I'll edit my post come close of transfer window time.  Also, I wouldn't put it past Hodgson to feign interest in Konchesky just to throw the media off - I mean truthfully, it doesn't make any sense.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,444 posts | 2843 
      Reply #24: Aug 30, 2010 06:31:03 pm
      We sold a keeper to the Mancs?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #25: Aug 30, 2010 06:37:59 pm

Not sold, they poached.  He was only 16, so he couldn't sign a professional contract yet.  I'm guessing we didn't tie him down to a provisional agreement and they snapped him up.  Different set of rules for the young ones - hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #26: Aug 30, 2010 06:38:34 pm

Three years from now, he becomes a revelation and we'll be upset we sold him.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Liverpool have moved quickly to identify the Argentine’s replacement. Jorge Mendes, the agent of the Portuguese international Raul Meireles, arrived on Merseyside to discuss the 27 year-old’s terms and the club expect to announce his £10.7 million capture in the next 24 hours.
      He will be joined at Anfield by Paul Konchesky, the Fulham full-back, who travelled to Liverpool for a medical yesterday. Alexander Kacaniklic and Lauri Dalla Valle, two of the club’s most promising youngsters, will move to Craven Cottage as part of the £3 million deal.
      Daniel Pacheco has signed an improved contract to remain at Anfield for the next two years, while the young Spanish defender Daniel Ayala has agreed a season-long loan with Hull. (Telegraph)
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2010 07:39:49 pm by solodee »
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #27: Aug 30, 2010 07:49:39 pm
      Mascherano sale news from twitter:

"JimBoardman  - Barca VP says #LFC "asked us not to announce the [Mascherano] transfer fee for now. That'll happen later." (via @rbuxton_LFC) "

That can only mean one of two things:
      - we were sold down the river
      - the fee was higher and it's been hushed up so we are not quoted ridiculous prices from clubs.

What says yous?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28: Aug 30, 2010 10:20:39 pm
      I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating but so far...

* I don't believe the Aquilani for Poulsen "deal", with Juve, was good business.

* I don't think that Alexander Kacaniklic and Lauri Dalla Valle for Konchescy "deal", with Fulham, can be described as good business.

* I'm more than happy that Raul Meireles has arrived on the back of the money raised from Masch's sale.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #29: Aug 30, 2010 10:26:34 pm
      Mascherano sale news from twitter:

"JimBoardman  - Barca VP says #LFC "asked us not to announce the [Mascherano] transfer fee for now. That'll happen later." (via @rbuxton_LFC) "

That can only mean one of two things:
      - we were sold down the river
      - the fee was higher and it's been hushed up so we are not quoted ridiculous prices from clubs.

What says yous?

We "don't play the numbers game" at this club lid!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: Aug 30, 2010 10:27:38 pm
      I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating but so far...

* I don't believe the Aquilani for Poulsen "deal", with Juve, was good business.

* I don't think that Alexander Kacaniklic and Lauri Dalla Valle for Konchescy "deal", with Fulham, can be described as good business.

* I'm more than happy that Raul Meireles has arrived on the back of the money raised from Masch's sale.

Sums it up for me.

How the F**k we got conned into letting youngsters go in a deal just for a guy like Koncheskey i don't know.

Meireles for Masch should be a big plus though. Don't wanna jinx the guy, but he should be a boost!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #31: Aug 30, 2010 10:38:32 pm
      4 straight windows of more money coming in then going out.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 31, 2010 04:08:35 am
      We "don't play the numbers game" at this club lid!!

Yeh, just so annoyed by the Masch saga - Barca and their new player are still sniping back.  We sold him too cheap (but guess we had to offload the player) but his new contract's buy-out clause (74million Euros) is such a kick in the stomach.  That said, enough now, he's no longer a Red.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #33: Aug 31, 2010 12:05:17 pm
      Sky Sports pundit lauds "superb" Liverpool capture

Former Liverpool midfielder Jamie Redknapp has praised Roy Hodgson’s efforts to sign Fulham defender Paul Konchesky, claiming the Craven Cottage stalwart is a “superb one-on-one defender”.

Hodgson worked with the left-sided defender during his tenure with the Cottagers and although Konchesky’s pending move to Anfield has underwhelmed many of Liverpool’s fans, Redknapp suggests the 29-year-old would be an excellent addition for the club should they successfully complete the deal before the 6pm deadline today.

The former Liverpool captain and regular Sky Sports pundit, told the Daily Mail: “Liverpool fans, who may have been looking for big money signings, might not appreciate the quality of Paul Konchesky.

“But he's a good signing for Roy Hodgson, who knows what he is getting after they worked together at Fulham last season.
      “I played with Paul at Spurs and he's a superb one-on-one defender, with quick feet and who loves the showdown between full-back and winger. It's hard to find good left backs. He's one of them.

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42944/Sky_Sports_pundit_lauds_superb_Liverpool_capture_.aspx?

Cascarino: New signing shows Liverpool "have lowered their sights"

Former Republic of Ireland international Tony Cascarino believes Liverpool’s imminent capture of Fulham left-back Paul Konchesky illustrates how far their stock in English football has fallen, because the 29-year-old is not good enough for any of the Premier League’s top four clubs.

Liverpool are expected to complete the signing of the Fulham defender prior to today’s 6pm deadline and although Cascarino suggests the fullback is a “solid performer”, the player would not get into any of last season’s top four clubs.

Speaking to the Times, Cascarino suggested Konchesky was the ‘Signing of the week’, saying: “Not because he’s a great player but because of what Liverpool buying him represents.

“The left back is a good, solid performer who will help solve a problem position for the club but he’s not someone the other top four contenders would ever have considered buying.

“He’s not Champions League quality. How Liverpool have lowered their sights.”

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42954/Cascarino_New_signing_shows_Liverpool_have_lowered_their_sights.aspx

Another expert perhaps. MYOB

*EDIT*
      Two contrasting view. The pitch will decide.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010 12:12:08 pm by solodee »
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #34: Aug 31, 2010 12:09:31 pm
      Full credit to the guy for calling it like it is.  Beats Jamie Redknapp's bullshitting:

Sky Sports pundit lauds "superb" Liverpool capture

Former Liverpool midfielder Jamie Redknapp has praised Roy Hodgson’s efforts to sign Fulham defender Paul Konchesky, claiming the Craven Cottage stalwart is a “superb one-on-one defender”.

Hodgson worked with the left-sided defender during his tenure with the Cottagers and although Konchesky’s pending move to Anfield has underwhelmed many of Liverpool’s fans, Redknapp suggests the 29-year-old would be an excellent addition for the club should they successfully complete the deal before the 6pm deadline today.

The former Liverpool captain and regular Sky Sports pundit, told the Daily Mail: “Liverpool fans, who may have been looking for big money signings, might not appreciate the quality of Paul Konchesky.

“But he's a good signing for Roy Hodgson, who knows what he is getting after they worked together at Fulham last season.

“I played with Paul at Spurs and he's a superb one-on-one defender, with quick feet and who loves the showdown between full-back and winger. It's hard to find good left backs. He's one of them.

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42944/Sky_Sports_pundit_lauds_superb_Liverpool_capture_.aspx?

edit: For the record, we've performed awfully this transfer window.  We sold a better keeper for less to gain a HG player which because we've only got a 22 person squad (and that was including counting both Konchesky and El Zhar) we will be using youngsters to make up the numbers anyhow, so we would have been better off just keeping Cavalieri and saving ourself some money.  I'd consider the midfield breaking even if we picked up someone like Lassana Diarra.  Up front, if we pick up an extra attacker I'd consider that breaking even.

Like Solodee said, the pitch will determine which pundit was right.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010 12:23:53 pm by vitez »
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #35: Aug 31, 2010 12:15:34 pm
      First of all, Mascherano's buy-out clause is not his price, it is his "don't even try" tag. Raul had one with 140 Millions, doesn't mean anything but that Barcelona can't be FORCED to sell him by law if someone tries.

On topic however, We have sold big names for smaller ones. None of our new players is on par with Gerrard and Torres. We used to add Xabi and Mascherano to Gerrard, Torres, Carra and Reina. Now as we watch them leave, we can only hope that our youngster or players we buy are surprising wonderkids. Otherwise, we are truly in the shittiest place.

I always have been in disbelief over the prices we pay for players who are nothing and the prices we get for selling our biggest stars. It just does not make sense. Mascherano should have been benched for 3 months, and financially reprimanded until he gave up on trying and played for us well, then we sell him when we see fit. It is ridiculous that our stars are forcing the club to sell them for cheap.

I can only see Joe cole a top notch player from the ones we got. The rest are no more than average (my opinion so don't bash me for it).

Until our club gets new custodians and the two thieves sitting at the top give up and sell to someone able, the club will continue to suffer and as always, we must be there singing our songs and fighting for match tickets to be able to sing YNWA before and after the match. We are not glory seekers, and our club has been making sure that all glory seekers are filtered out. So looking at the bright side of it, we will bounce back to be the best club in the world, without the glory seekers (90% of mancs being so, all non-cockney chelski fans and the new "city" fans). our pride will take kicks for period until the two dummies on top find themselves a bank to fuckover.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #36: Aug 31, 2010 12:19:19 pm
      Of course he wouldn't get past Cole, Evra, Clichy or Bale. But Konchesky is, in my opinion, better than Aurelio, Insua and Agger as a left back.

Aurelio is too injury prone and even when fully fit, doesn't cut it for me.
      Insua is still struggling to come to terms with week in week out football. (he may not even be here come the end of the window)
      Agger is a centre half and the last few weeks has been shown that he's a make shift left back.

We can't afford top quality anymore, we have no money. It's not a sign of how far our expectations have dropped, but rather how little we have to spend. We're buying as good as we can get for the money available. Konchesky may not be world class, but we've a long list of left backs who aren't world class yet have done a sterling job for the club. Joey Jones, Alan Kennedy, Jim Beglin, Stig Inge Bjornebye. All solid left backs, not world class but solid.

Overall, I think what Roy has done in the transfer market is very similar to what he did at Fulham. At Fulham he bought players he knew would keep them around mid-table. Players like Duff, Murphy, Zamora, Schwazer. All experienced Premiership players. Here, he's tried a similar tactic. Cole, Konchesky, Aurelio. Again, experienced Premiership players in the hope that they'll be enough to take us back into the top four.

We may of lost a few "bigger" names and replaced them with lesser quality but I wouldn't say we've fared badly. We're in a position where we have to make the most of the little we have. Free transfers like Cole is doing just that. Konchesky is another. Truth is we're not gonna be able to afford a 15 million or more left back. We can afford a cheap(ish) left back and for that money there aren't many that much better than Konchesky.

Overall, I'd say Roy has spent his money quite wisely.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #37: Aug 31, 2010 12:33:04 pm
      All in all this transfer window has been what everyone with a bit of savvy expected. We've spent F**k all!

I'm sure the same whoppers, who were content to believe the media about previous three seasons spending, will still buy into that sh*t but (let's be honest here) they're the sort of dumb-fucks we don't want 'round us anyway.

Hicks & Gillett are following a well tested formula - why spend money when we don't need to? Why invest in players when the F***ing turnstiles and tills keep turning? Any money invested won't increase profits. Only the naive or the F***ing idiotic think otherwise.

So, for as long as "we" fight for tickets and so long as "we" keep feeding the whores they'll never need to spend and they'll be content to stay and well never have new F***ing custodians.

It don't take a F***ing genius to figure that one out - just anyone who cares enough to understand.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,628 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Aug 31, 2010 12:44:58 pm
      All in all this transfer window has been what everyone with a bit of savvy expected. We've spent F**k all!

I'm sure the same whoppers, who were content to believe the media about previous three seasons spending, will still buy into that sh*t but (let's be honest here) they're the sort of dumb-fucks we don't want 'round us anyway.

Hicks & Gillett are following a well tested formula - why spend money when we don't need to? Why invest in players when the F***ing turnstiles and tills keep turning? Any money invested won't increase profits. Only the naive or the F***ing idiotic think otherwise.

So, for as long as "we" fight for tickets and so long as "we" keep feeding the whores they'll never need to spend and they'll be content to stay and well never have new F***ing custodians.

It don't take a F***ing genius to figure that one out - just anyone who cares enough to understand.
      Second highest Adidas shirt sales behind Madrid shows us the campaigns need stepping up.
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #39: Aug 31, 2010 12:48:49 pm
      we can campaign here all we want, but international fans will never hear about them or follow them.

On-topic, I quite agree with DLS. I didn't see any reckless transfer like Aquilani and Keane's yet.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #40: Aug 31, 2010 12:52:16 pm
      We will make money for the banks that is the sole aim of the club in transfer windows these days.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #41: Aug 31, 2010 12:53:41 pm
      Overall, I think what Roy has done in the transfer market is very similar to what he did at Fulham. At Fulham he bought players he knew would keep them around mid-table. Players like Duff, Murphy, Zamora, Schwazer. All experienced Premiership players. Here, he's tried a similar tactic. Cole, Konchesky, Aurelio. Again, experienced Premiership players in the hope that they'll be enough to take us back into the top four.

We may of lost a few "bigger" names and replaced them with lesser quality

Sorry Billy but I just can't see the logic in what your saying.

If the objective is to "take us back into the top four" then signing "lesser quality" players can't be the way to go. I do agree however that in Poulsen and Konchesky he has signed the same type of player he would have at Fulham with a budget that was also limited.

These players are bought in the hope that we may ride out the storm (rather than push on) in the hope of better times and owners lie ahead.

So whilst it may well be Roy's "objective", (and I believe he'll give it his all), I honestly don't think that our board's target is a top four finish. The pruning of the wage bill and player numbers indicate that they're NOT concerned with anything football related.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #42: Aug 31, 2010 12:56:23 pm
      And the pruning of the wages bill shows they are trying to get the clubs costs down, why exactly would they be doing that if they are selling up. To much evidence around they are not selling at all.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: Aug 31, 2010 12:58:57 pm
      we can campaign here all we want, but international fans will never hear about them or follow them.

I don't give a F**k about "international fans" saint (or anyone else for that matter), they can do what their conscience lets them.

I'm just pointing out the facts re: transfer policy under the tenure of Hicks and Gillett. Just out of curiosity; do you think I am wrong?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,628 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #44: Aug 31, 2010 12:59:37 pm
      And the pruning of the wages bill shows they are trying to get the clubs costs down, why exactly would they be doing that if they are selling up. To much evidence around they are not selling at all.

There has been a fairly extensive cull from youth to first team and nobody seems to have blinked an eye about it.
      There is a list in the confirmed transfers thread and it's pretty clear that these are the actions of people preparing to dig in. The fire sale is in progress, just seems most people cant see the flames
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #45: Aug 31, 2010 01:02:21 pm
      In the end you can't control what other people do, you can only lead the example, educate people and hope many will follow.

To answer the topic's question, not that well.

Quick Reply