Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Carra: Don't Abuse Michael Owen At My Testimonial.

Read 10307 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Carra: Don't Abuse Michael Owen At My Testimonial.
      Sep 03, 2010 09:17:15 am
      Jamie Carragher asks Liverpool fans not to abuse Michael Owen in charity testimonial
      Jamie Carragher has pleaded with Liverpool supporters not to taint his charity testimonial on Saturday by subjecting Michael Owen to a hostile reception, despite admitting the former Anfield icon “upset some people” by signing for bitter rivals Manchester United last season.

By Mark Ogden
      Published: 7:15AM BST 03 Sep 2010

Owen, 30, who scored 158 goals in 297 appearances for Liverpool prior to his transfer to Real Madrid in 2004, has agreed to play alongside Carragher in a Liverpool shirt during the former England defender’s benefit game against an Everton XI at Anfield.

Owen became a target for terrace abuse at Anfield by agreeing to move to Old Trafford on a free transfer from Newcastle in July 2009.

But Carragher insists that supporters should remember Owen’s contribution as a Liverpool player and overlook his Manchester United connections following his decision to accept an invitation to play in a game from which all proceeds will go to Carragher’s 23 foundation, which supports local charities and groups.

Carragher said he hoped Owen’s United move did not affect his reception “because I think he deserves a great one for what he did for Liverpool. He was a fantastic player, right up there with the greats for what he did.

“He left in difficult circumstances, but when he went to Manchester United, his career was on a bit of a downward spiral and he’ll admit that himself.

“So the chance to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world was difficult to turn down. He moved and upset some people, but he had to do what was right for himself and his family.

“His kids were just starting school and he wanted to move back home so that came into it as well.”

United supporters are being urged to mark the Premier League clash against Liverpool at Old Trafford later this month with an ‘old shirt’ protest against the club’s owners, the Glazer family.

Despite the Glazers’ insistence that they have no plans to sell United in the wake of sustained opposition to their ownership last season and increased interest rates on a portion of the club‘s £716.5 million debt, supporters remain determined to maintain the profile of their campaign.

The green-and-gold campaign, symbolised by the wearing of scarves in the colours of Newton Heath, United’s forerunners, proved a hugely successful and visible image of anti-Glazer sentiment among the club’s supporters.

But a proposed boycott of season tickets proved less successful, with United chief executive David Gill revealing this week that the club sold 51,800 season tickets this summer, a drop of only 2,200 on 12 months ago.

Fans’ groups are now planning a protest that involves supporters wearing United shirts that pre-date the Glazers’ 2005 takeover.

Guardian
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010 12:52:11 pm by JD »
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Re: Carra: Don't Abuse Michael Owen At My Testimonial.
      Reply #1: Sep 03, 2010 09:18:40 am
      As you asked nicely Jamie we won't but it doesn't stop him being a b***ard in my opinion.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: Sep 03, 2010 09:23:10 am
      As much as I hate to say it, Fair play to Michael Owen for actually playing - its taken a lot of bottle and guts to actually do it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Sep 03, 2010 09:26:08 am
      As much as I hate to say it, Fair play to Michael Owen for actually playing - its taken a lot of bottle and guts to actually do it.

Ironically, he should cop some bottles to the gut >:D

No, seriously, as much as i hate Owen now - for Carra, i do hope the fans just forget Owen's out there and enjoy the day for what it is - the testimonial for one of our legends, Carra. To boo Owen would be forgetting what this is about, and would piss Carra off, therefore ruining his day a bit. We don't want that, so lets hope people embrace the spirit of the day. Leave the Owen booing for when he comes wearing that F***ing manc sh*t shirt and any other time.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #4: Sep 03, 2010 09:28:00 am
      Also, How much is it going to piss the Manc's off seeing Owen in the shirt he prefers wearing :)
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #5: Sep 03, 2010 09:30:55 am
      Also, How much is it going to piss the Manc's off seeing Owen in the shirt he prefers wearing :)

Agreed. Carra is probably Owen's best mate in football, so fair play to him for showing up and playing. It would be funny though if he ended up doing his hamstring though...
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Sep 03, 2010 09:33:18 am

Had thought the same thing :D A lot of them must be fuming!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #7: Sep 03, 2010 10:24:02 am

Certainly won't piss me off. He was a hero for Liverpool and like Carra says, give the fellow some respect if not just for Carra  :) His best days were at Liverpool, people should remember that  ;) Were just having the left overs of him now. I still fail to see why so many ex Liverpool players get so much stick :-\ Its not as if he's playing better for United than he did for Liverpool.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Sep 03, 2010 10:28:00 am
      Certainly won't piss me off. He was a hero for Liverpool and like Carra says, give the fellow some respect if not just for Carra  :) His best days were at Liverpool, people should remember that  ;) Were just having the left overs of him now. I still fail to see why so many ex Liverpool players get so much stick :-\ Its not as if he's playing better for United than he did for Liverpool.

It's that he played for Liverpool, then went to United later! :D

We don't give every ex player stick, not most of us anyways. Owen, Diouf etc are exceptions due to Owen being a traitor and Diouf being.. well, a c**t.

Trust me, while you may not do it yourself, if someone like Rooney who is a hero to many Mancs was to leave, then after 5 years come back and go to Liverpool instead, he would have the same treatment. Just the way it is!

It's principle mate, all about principle. I would rather retire at 29 if i was in Owen's position than take up at manure.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Sep 03, 2010 10:43:45 am
      Yes but you got the best years out of him so i can't see the the big issue  :-\ Its not as if he's playing better now, far from it.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #10: Sep 03, 2010 10:44:32 am
      yer im sure he said he would off joined us again for a smaller wage than what hes getting from manure but rafa didnt want him im pretty sure thats how it was
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #11: Sep 03, 2010 10:45:24 am
      It would be disrespectful to Jamie if Owen got any abuse on the night and definitely the wrong spirit for the occasion.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #12: Sep 03, 2010 10:46:45 am
      Have to admit I wasn't going to hold back on the little rat, but since Carra's asked, I'll just ignore the c**t.

Probably be injured by tomorrow anyway.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Sep 03, 2010 10:48:05 am
      Yes but you got the best years out of him so I can't see the the big issue  :-\ Its not as if he's playing better now, far from it.

Doesn't matter though, if you pull on that shirt its just not on.

However, i still believe as i said earlier that in this instance, it would be disrespectful to Carra's day to let him have it - so hopefully nothing will happen.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Sep 03, 2010 10:59:40 am

However, I still believe as I said earlier that in this instance, it would be disrespectful to Carra's day to let him have it - so hopefully nothing will happen.

I do agree  :) Will it happen??. Percentages wise :roll: 50 / 50. Hope its a good game anyway  :)
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: Sep 03, 2010 11:18:52 am
      I am not going to give him any kind of reception, negative nor positive. In my eyes, he doesn't deserve it. After he left the club the way he did, i will never forgive him. He was my childhood hero.
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #16: Sep 03, 2010 11:26:47 am
      Is this game on television anywhere!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Sep 03, 2010 11:28:05 am

As far as i know, it is live on LFCTV.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #18: Sep 03, 2010 11:39:37 am
      I am not going to give him any kind of reception, negative nor positive.

Same as me.
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #19: Sep 03, 2010 12:06:58 pm
      What if he scores and kiss the badge. That will piss the maniacs and us. But if you ask me I'd love it.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #20: Sep 03, 2010 12:07:53 pm
      What if he scores and kiss the badge. That will piss the maniacs and us. But if you ask me I'd love it.

Would be utterly hilarious!
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #21: Sep 03, 2010 12:40:10 pm
      Come on lads, Owen made a mistake by not staying on when Benitez came. He wanted to come back to Anfield from Madrid but Camacho told Benitez that he wasn't fit enough. That's why  he went to Newcastle. As for him going to Manure, Whisky nose was the only Premiership manager prepared to take him (remember him hawking himself around the managers?)

And boy, has he paid for making that mistake.

Liverpool supporters are too big to jeer one of our own. (However, I might make an exception in the case of Diouf) We never jeered Keeganand we never jeered McManaman and they did exactly the same as Owen. Let's show the mancs that we couldn't care less that he's playing for them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #22: Sep 03, 2010 12:58:39 pm
      Come on lads, Owen made a mistake by not staying on when Benitez came. He wanted to come back to Anfield from Madrid but Camacho told Benitez that he wasn't fit enough. That's why  he went to Newcastle. As for him going to Manure, Whisky nose was the only Premiership manager prepared to take him (remember him hawking himself around the managers?)

Liverpool supporters are too big to jeer one of our own. (However, I might make an exception in the case of Diouf) We never jeered Keeganand we never jeered McManaman and they did exactly the same as Owen. Let's show the mancs that we couldn't care less that he's playing for them.

Now thats what i like to here. Great post  :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #23: Sep 03, 2010 01:02:30 pm
      I am not going to give him any kind of reception, negative nor positive.

Pretty much how I feel, although saying that I'm also not arsed, because I'm not going.

Come on lads, Owen made a mistake by not staying on when Benitez came. He wanted to come back to Anfield from Madrid but Camacho told Benitez that he wasn't fit enough. That's why  he went to Newcastle. As for him going to Manure, Whisky nose was the only Premiership manager prepared to take him (remember him hawking himself around the managers?)

As far as I can recall Owen went to Newcastle because his england place was on the line and he listened to his agent/representatives rather than Rafa who was doing a deal for him but wasn't prepared to pay over the odds for him, Rafa told him to hang on, but he didn't.

As for jeering players, it has happened before, Collymore when he returned with Villa, Mcmanaman was given grief at the Blackburn away game after his Barcelona deal had fallen through and as for Keegan he was given grief by Liverpool fans towards the end of the 76/77 season after he came out pretty early and said he was leaving Liverpool.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #24: Sep 03, 2010 01:03:10 pm
      As far as im concerened he turned his back on us and it bit him in the ass, he's a united player so i hate him, but i wouldnt give him stick just because carra has asked.

Andy
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #25: Sep 03, 2010 01:23:03 pm
      Anyway who cares about Owen being there.

Just sing Luis Garcia's song a little louder, he after all got us to our first European Cup final in 20 years, not that little sh*t welsh dwarf!!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #26: Sep 03, 2010 01:25:29 pm
      In many ways the best kind of treatment we could give Owen is complete silence; cheers for everyone on the teamsheet then his name and complete silence. Still a dickhead though.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #27: Sep 03, 2010 02:01:34 pm
      I am not going to give him any kind of reception, negative nor positive. In my eyes, he doesn't deserve it. After he left the club the way he did, I will never forgive him. He was my childhood hero.

I'm not so annoyed that he plays for the Man U Scum - let's be honest, he was having trouble getting a gig and I guess the prospect of a top club was too good.  But the way he left LFC was sad and it still hurts. For me no reception sounds right - I'm giving him credit for having the guts to come and play for Carra.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #28: Sep 03, 2010 02:01:58 pm

Delayed coverage on LFCTV tomorrow night.

19:00      The Match: Jamie Carragher's Testimonial
      All the action from this afternoon's Jamie Carragher testimonial match at Anfield

As`regards Owen, 2 things, its all in aid of kids charities so i don't think abuse sort of fits with the beneficiaries of the day. Secondly, I'm sure he'll be back playin for the dark side and that'll be a more fitting scenario for much, much abuse.

I know Carra said he did what he felt was best for his family but the dark side, really? He didn't need the cash and if he wanted to play there would of been other NW sides that would of given him a 'pay as you play', he didn't give a sh*t about LFC. He went to Madrid on a glory hunt. Watchin him celebrate his winning goal at Manure reminded me of the FA cup final at the Millennium, that bit me badly.

Sorry Mikey, you make a mistake, you live with it.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,278 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #29: Sep 03, 2010 02:06:01 pm
      The sh*t is a mercenary b***ard the only badge he kisses is his own
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #30: Sep 03, 2010 02:11:43 pm
      I'll just ignore the snidey little manc c**t is even there.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31: Sep 03, 2010 03:11:54 pm
      The only arse he kisses is his Ow(e)n. (Geddit)?

Not a legend anywhere. Thats what he takes into HIS retirement when it comes
      Don77

• 6,616 posts | 1110 
      Reply #32: Sep 03, 2010 03:22:25 pm
      Pretty much how I feel, although saying that I'm also not arsed, because I'm not going.

As far as I can recall Owen went to Newcastle because his england place was on the line and he listened to his agent/representatives rather than Rafa who was doing a deal for him but wasn't prepared to pay over the odds for him, Rafa told him to hang on, but he didn't.

As for jeering players, it has happened before, Collymore when he returned with Villa, Mcmanaman was given grief at the Blackburn away game after his Barcelona deal had fallen through and as for Keegan he was given grief by Liverpool fans towards the end of the 76/77 season after he came out pretty early and said he was leaving Liverpool.

I think you need to tell the facts as they are there mate. We had around 8m on the table. Necastle had 17m on the table. There was no deal to be had with us when they were offering twice as much. As Carra said, we were 'blown out of the water'. Also, as I recall before the season started Owen put a statement out saying he wanted to come back to Liverpool. That gave us a month to do the deal. But as we left it until the last minute ( like this window just gone ) Madrid basically said Newcastle or you sit in the stands for 5 months until January. No pro wants to sit in the stands. At the end of the day, benitez sold him to raise money for Luis and Alonso in the knowledge he had cisse to step in. Thats Football. No problems there.

Benitez could have signed him back after a year at Newcasle as his contact had so many holes in it. He didnt want him. Thats Football. Finally, Owen contacted Liverpool before he joined the mancs. Benitez didnt want him. Again, thats football. No rights or wrongs there.

As for Owen now, he neither angers me or inspires me. I feel no emotion now. I will always respect what he did for Liverpool. I respect the fact that he is coming back to play for his mate in his testimonial. He was a superb servant and ambassador to the club in his time here, always a professional.

For me, it will be nice to see him in a real red shirt again. But at the end of the day it is Carra's day, one that he richly deserves. It is a day for celebration and its all going to a good cause. It isn't about Michael Owen and anyone who boos, shouts abuse etc will just be making an absolute a**hole of themselves.

I will be going for Carra, to show my respect for a true Liverpool legend. He is a credit to the club and the city.

Well done Carra.....!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Sep 03, 2010 03:35:05 pm
      I would happily applaud one of Liverpool's finest. I can't really understand the comments seeing as he only joined Man Utd to stop the rot in his career. Imagine the situation. 'Well I've been offered the chance to join one of the biggest clubs in the world (admittedly) which can get me back competing at the top level or I can join a relegation battling club surrounded by sh*t players at Wolves. You know I think I might join Wolves!' Only an idiot would do that and Michael Owen's no idiot. And let's remember the countless times he said he desired a move back to Liverpool. He'll no doubt admit that he was stupid to leave Liverpool The guy was heartbroken in 2005 when he was told by Rafa Benitez that he couldn't rejoin Liverpool because Liverpool couldn't afford him. And given the chance to have signed for Liverpool last season he'd have taken it in a heartbeat and turned down Man Utd - no doubts about that. We should have gone in for him again last season, but no Rafa thought it'd be better to stick with one proper centre forward in Fernando Torres and believing that N'Gog was a better 2nd option than Michael. Ridiculous. He'll get the applause from me. Unlike others I put preference over his trophy winning exploits far higher than him signing for the Man Utd.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #34: Sep 03, 2010 03:35:58 pm
      I think you need to tell the facts as they are there mate. We had around 8m on the table. Necastle had 17m on the table. There was no deal to be had with us when they were offering twice as much. As Carra said, we were 'blown out of the water'. Also, as I recall before the season started Owen put a statement out saying he wanted to come back to Liverpool. That gave us a month to do the deal. But as we left it until the last minute ( like this window just gone ) Madrid basically said Newcastle or you sit in the stands for 5 months until January. No pro wants to sit in the stands. At the end of the day, benitez sold him to raise money for Luis and Alonso in the knowledge he had cisse to step in. Thats Football. No problems there.

Benitez could have signed him back after a year at Newcasle as his contact had so many holes in it. He didnt want him. Thats Football. Finally, Owen contacted Liverpool before he joined the mancs. Benitez didnt want him. Again, thats football. No rights or wrongs there.

As for Owen now, he neither angers me or inspires me. I feel no emotion now. I will always respect what he did for Liverpool. I respect the fact that he is coming back to play for his mate in his testimonial. He was a superb servant and ambassador to the club in his time here, always a professional.

For me, it will be nice to see him in a real red shirt again. But at the end of the day it is Carra's day, one that he richly deserves. It is a day for celebration and its all going to a good cause. It isn't about Michael Owen and anyone who boos, shouts abuse etc will just be making an absolute a**hole of themselves.

I will be going for Carra, to show my respect for a true Liverpool legend. He is a credit to the club and the city.

Well done Carra.....!!

Another great post :) This is what i like about true Liverpool fans. If i could give you 5+ i would  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #35: Sep 03, 2010 03:38:50 pm
      I would happily applaud one of Liverpool's finest. I can't really understand the comments seeing as he only joined Man Utd to stop the rot in his career. Imagine the situation. 'Well I've been offered the chance to join one of the biggest clubs in the world (admittedly) which can get me back competing at the top level or I can join a relegation battling club surrounded by sh*t players at Wolves. You know I think I might join Wolves!' Only an idiot would do that and Michael Owen's no idiot. And let's remember the countless times he said he desired a move back to Liverpool. He'll no doubt admit that he was stupid to leave Liverpool The guy was heartbroken in 2005 when he was told by Rafa Benitez that he couldn't rejoin Liverpool because Liverpool couldn't afford him. And given the chance to have signed for Liverpool last season he'd have taken it in a heartbeat and turned down Man Utd - no doubts about that. We should have gone in for him again last season, but no Rafa thought it'd be better to stick with one proper centre forward in Fernando Torres and believing that N'Gog was a better 2nd option than Michael. Ridiculous. He'll get the applause from me. Unlike others I put preference over his trophy winning exploits far higher than him signing for the Man Utd.

Reasons why i joined this forum  :roll: :roll: :roll: We're are now listening to true Liverpool fans.  :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Sep 03, 2010 03:39:42 pm
      Yeah, but he's a Manc so....BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

;)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #37: Sep 03, 2010 03:41:02 pm
      Yeah, but he's a Manc so....BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

;)

If i could give you 5 negs i would  ;D ;D ;D. Only joking mate  :f_whistle: :lmao:
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #38: Sep 03, 2010 03:48:22 pm
      Keith, the way I see it, Owen was a gem for us and his service for us should never be forgotten. However, he has done the unthinkable by signing for the enemy.

It pisses me off more than if a Diouf, Keane or even Crouch playing for them, as Owen was a legend for us.

He shouldn't be booed in the testimonial, and I think should be applauded at the end of the game for doing this for Carra as it would be a tough thing to do, front up in front of the Kop in our shirt once more.
      But I do think it should be no-holds barred towards him during our League encounters, and I would boo him too, as it bites hard.

Each to their own and everyone will handle this situation in their own way.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #39: Sep 03, 2010 03:51:25 pm
      If i could give you 5 negs i would  ;D ;D ;D. Only joking mate  :f_whistle: :lmao:

I can still give you 15 negs. And i will >:D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #40: Sep 03, 2010 03:54:41 pm
      I've never booed anybody wearing the Liverpool shirt and I don't intend to start this Saturday.

Was Michael Owen an idol of mine growing up? Too F***ing right he was. Do I now hate the c**t with a burning passion? Yes I do and not because he moved to United but because of the things he's said and the reasons he moved to United. I think he took the road he has his entire life. He moved to United to try and get into the 2010 World Cup squad. Playing for United was his best shot at that. England came first in Owen's mind, like it always has. Club football always came second, that's why Owen was never taken by the fans in the way Robbie Fowler was. And Fowler will always be head and shoulders above Owen in my eyes.

I wouldn't boo him on Saturday because to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing he's now seen as one of the biggest traitors in our club's history. There's a few players who've played for both Liverpool and United, but turning your back on the club that gave you your break and saying the things Owen said is unforgivable.

So let him run out on Saturday in his Liverpool strip, no doubt he'll score in front of the Kop (it's written in the stars) and we'll see the reaction his goal(s) get.

But this game is for charity, a very worthy cause, not a do or die match for the Premiership title. This game has no bearing on our personal feelings towards any one man. It's the sort of game where those sort of differences are put to one side and the main focus is how people, less fortunate than ourselves, will benefit. And if Michael Owen is prepared to help that cause, then good on him and everybody else in doing so.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,167 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #41: Sep 03, 2010 04:03:50 pm
      I can still give you 15 negs. And I will >:D

But i can give you 225  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Sep 03, 2010 06:45:51 pm
      I've never booed anybody wearing the Liverpool shirt and I don't intend to start this Saturday.

Was Michael Owen an idol of mine growing up? Too f**king right he was. Do I now hate the c**t with a burning passion? Yes I do and not because he moved to United but because of the things he's said and the reasons he moved to United. I think he took the road he has his entire life. He moved to United to try and get into the 2010 World Cup squad. Playing for United was his best shot at that. England came first in Owen's mind, like it always has. Club football always came second, that's why Owen was never taken by the fans in the way Robbie Fowler was. And Fowler will always be head and shoulders above Owen in my eyes.

I wouldn't boo him on Saturday because to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing he's now seen as one of the biggest traitors in our club's history. There's a few players who've played for both Liverpool and United, but turning your back on the club that gave you your break and saying the things Owen said is unforgivable.

So let him run out on Saturday in his Liverpool strip, no doubt he'll score in front of the Kop (it's written in the stars) and we'll see the reaction his goal(s) get.

But this game is for charity, a very worthy cause, not a do or die match for the Premiership title. This game has no bearing on our personal feelings towards any one man. It's the sort of game where those sort of differences are put to one side and the main focus is how people, less fortunate than ourselves, will benefit. And if Michael Owen is prepared to help that cause, then good on him and everybody else in doing so.

I don't know if he put England ahead of his club but if he did so then I'm sorry in this day and age you cannot degrade him for it. How many footballers put country before club today? Not many. I don't think you should criticise Owen for that I think you should praise him. And besides in putting country before club did his performances suffer worse when playing for club? No they did not. Michael Owen was a hero of mine and still is a hero of mine for everything he has done in his Liverpool career and for his dedication on the international level. It is in my opinion unmatched.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #43: Sep 03, 2010 06:50:07 pm
      I used to admire Owen as much as anyone but towards the end of his time with us, he started to think he was a superstar, stopped chasing through balls and stood around up front for the perfect pass to land at his feet. I for one was pretty glad when he left and not the slightest bit surprised when he later joined The Scum. He's an arrogant little sh*t and, I'm sorry Jamie, deserves any abuse he gets.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 995 posts | 69 
      Reply #44: Sep 03, 2010 07:26:23 pm
      He had a choice to go to stoke or hull and we didn't want him so to be fair he probably made the right choice .
      He is carra's mate and will wear the liverpool shirt with pride i am sure.
      Whatever people think of him, he gave his best years to us and then things went downhill for him and pretty much ended up on the scrap heap finishing what was a promising career at a second rate club ;D
      I for one will cheer him because he must have regrets and sadness about how he ended up working for a scottish drunk who slurs his words and hates the club he loved from a boy ;).
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #45: Sep 03, 2010 07:49:24 pm
      I don't know if he put England ahead of his club but if he did so then I'm sorry in this day and age you cannot degrade him for it. How many footballers put country before club today? Not many. I don't think you should criticise Owen for that I think you should praise him. And besides in putting country before club did his performances suffer worse when playing for club? No they did not. Michael Owen was a hero of mine and still is a hero of mine for everything he has done in his Liverpool career and for his dedication on the international level. It is in my opinion unmatched.

Yes I can, have and will have a go at him for putting England before Liverpool.

We paid his wages - England did not.
      We gave him his break through - England did not.
      He could only play for England by playing well for Liverpool - not the other way round.

For any player, club must come first. For Michael Owen, that was not, is not and will not be the case. He always put England before Liverpool and many fans know this to be case whether they admit it or not.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #46: Sep 03, 2010 08:27:44 pm
      You are making all the wrong noises Carra.Stop talking for sometime and concentrate on how to keep the ball on the ground and pass it rather than hoofing all the time over the top of everyone.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #47: Sep 03, 2010 08:57:17 pm
      Yes I can, have and will have a go at him for putting England before Liverpool.

We paid his wages - England did not.
      We gave him his break through - England did not.
      He could only play for England by playing well for Liverpool - not the other way round.

For any player, club must come first. For Michael Owen, that was not, is not and will not be the case. He always put England before Liverpool and many fans know this to be case whether they admit it or not.

Just because he put England before Liverpool doesn't mean he didn't care about Liverpool! As I said I have no problem with putting country before club. But I bet didn't you complain about him and this stance when he was scoring last minute winners against oh for example Arsenal in the FA Cup Final 2001?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #48: Sep 03, 2010 09:06:05 pm
      Just because he put England before Liverpool doesn't mean he didn't care about Liverpool! As I said I have no problem with putting country before club. But I bet didn't you complain about him and this stance when he was scoring last minute winners against oh for example Arsenal in the FA Cup Final 2001?

Well you've just lost a bet. I've always criticised Owen for putting england before Liverpool.

Nobody said he didn't care about Liverpool, what I'm saying is he cared more about England than his club football. You may have no problem with it, I certainly do. I expect everybody to put Liverpool Football Club first.
      irish brian
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #49: Sep 03, 2010 09:21:17 pm
      the only reason the little f..k is playing is because he cant get a game anywhere else!he can rot :f_steam:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,846 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #50: Sep 04, 2010 12:12:06 am
      I hope the lad doesn't get booed, only coz Carra asked so nicely, but I have no problem with him doing a groin or a hamstring and being out for the rest of the season.  :lmao:
      Redangel

• 8,381 posts | 1021 
      Reply #51: Sep 04, 2010 08:52:25 am

Top post. Will be there and will give him a cheer , for the Liverpool player he was.

He had his reasons for doing what he did , and as Carra says he only went to Man U 'cos his kids had started school and he wanted to get back home.
      I think we sometimes forget that players have other loyalties as well as their loyalty to the club !!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,278 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #52: Sep 04, 2010 02:20:59 pm
      Will never forget the method he chose to leave Liverpool making all the noises about staying, then at the last minuet leaving with no hope of a decent fee, self centred sh*t and will always be.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #53: Sep 04, 2010 02:36:07 pm
      Im hearing Owen is being given a mixed reception from the Kop.

1-0 up i think Garcia scored.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #54: Sep 04, 2010 02:37:56 pm
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #55: Sep 04, 2010 02:45:41 pm
      Carra peno 2-0 to the reds, well done Carra. Top peno they are saying.

HT
      kennysbigbum
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • go ed giz a job
      Reply #56: Sep 04, 2010 05:07:01 pm
      Happy he got a good reception.  I still think we'll see Michael back one day
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #57: Sep 04, 2010 05:18:06 pm
      Happy he got a good reception.  I still think we'll see Michael back one day

Well we got gerard houllier back in the dug out!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #58: Sep 04, 2010 05:18:11 pm
      For anyone who's got LFCTV Carragher's testimonial is on now!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #59: Sep 04, 2010 06:01:50 pm
      Watching it now myself. Cheeky penalty from Carra
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #60: Sep 04, 2010 06:08:45 pm
      Watching it now myself. Cheeky penalty from Carra

Boss finish from little Luis as well!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #61: Sep 04, 2010 06:10:16 pm
      5 ft 7 of football heaven
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: Sep 04, 2010 06:18:34 pm
      Lovely goal by Joe Cole. Link up from Amoo and Babel in the run up. Some silly skills from Eccleston too. Everton penalty. Carra just took it off Yak. . . And hes off
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #63: Sep 04, 2010 06:18:36 pm

Luis Garcia
      He drinks sangria
      He came from Barca
      To bring us Joy
      He's 5 foot 7
      He's football heaven
      So please don't take our Luis away!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #64: Sep 04, 2010 06:27:01 pm
      4 - 1 now courtesy of Eccleston beating the offside trap
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #65: Sep 04, 2010 07:45:08 pm

Looks much better than that shirt you're being paid to wear!

Oh and i F***ing love Garcia. Can we get him back?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #66: Sep 04, 2010 07:53:07 pm
      Was going to say the same thing. How good was that goal. Quality little player
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #67: Sep 04, 2010 08:22:40 pm
      It was brilliant seeing some of the old gaurd back in a Liverpool top. Michael Owen - magic seeing him wear the shirt again bringing me back some fond memories of his time at the club. Cheers Michael.

And Luis Garcia - you were and still are a little gem of a player!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #68: Sep 04, 2010 08:35:42 pm
      Owen copped a bit of booing, mixed with a bit of cheering. Most didn't make any noise towards them.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #69: Sep 04, 2010 11:45:34 pm
      I'm watching it now, some of the football puts our current crop to shame :P
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #70: Sep 05, 2010 05:22:51 am
      Any ways for us without LFCTV to watch the highlights of the match?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #71: Sep 05, 2010 12:55:05 pm
      Owen copped a bit of booing, mixed with a bit of cheering. Most didn't make any noise towards them.

Indeed.  Bizarre situation whereby some people clapped every time he got the ball just to counteract the few fans who were booing him.  What kind of a nobend do you have to be to actually clap him?  Some idiots at Anfield.

Some of our youngsters look like they've got a bit of talent, real shame that George Sephton seemed to have fell asleep - didn't know which players were going off and coming on.  Spent most of the second half working out who was who.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Sep 05, 2010 01:00:04 pm
      Commentating was poor for this. Watched it a second time just to figure out who had started each half to properly assess the game. Great experience for the younger lads. Good all round apart from that setup penalty for Carra
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #73: Sep 05, 2010 01:47:08 pm
      Of all the players gone in the last couple of years i think Garcia is the one i miss watching most
      not always the best but could provide that little bit of inspiration when needed and scored some cracking goals for us , the type of goals we have been missing.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #74: Sep 05, 2010 02:19:00 pm
      I didn't waste any energy in giving Owen an reaction. He doesn't deserve one.

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #75: Sep 06, 2010 05:00:08 am
      Of all the players gone in the last couple of years I think Garcia is the one I miss watching most
      not always the best but could provide that little bit of inspiration when needed and scored some cracking goals for us , the type of goals we have been missing.

Agreed, I am guessing he is too old to bring back.....:( I certainly loved seeing him in red again at the testimonial!
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #76: Sep 06, 2010 08:06:19 am
      Luis still has it definatley, when you think of the problems we have creativey wise, it's a crying shame that he's no longer with us. It was great to hear his song again. A really good turnout on Saturday.
      Redangel

• 8,381 posts | 1021 
      Reply #77: Sep 06, 2010 08:17:43 am
      Indeed.  Bizarre situation whereby some people clapped every time he got the ball just to counteract the few fans who were booing him.  What kind of a nobend do you have to be to actually clap him?  Some idiots at Anfield.

Some of our youngsters look like they've got a bit of talent, real shame that George Sephton seemed to have fell asleep - didn't know which players were going off and coming on.  Spent most of the second half working out who was who.

Well  my family clapped him , so that makes us idiots does it !!
      We clapped him for the fact that he was a fantastic player for us , he was wearing the Red of Liverpool and he turned out for his mate's testimonial knowing that some sections of the crowd would boo him. We clapped him because we're Reds not bitter Blues ! Oh , and because Carra  asked us NOT to boo.

Always thought we were better than that lot across the park. Maybe I was wrong.
      kennysbigbum
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • go ed giz a job
      Reply #78: Sep 06, 2010 05:53:46 pm
      Lov

Looks much better than that shirt you're being paid to wear!

Oh and I f**king love Garcia. Can we get him back?

Love it - Come back Michael all is fogiven.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #79: Sep 06, 2010 09:52:23 pm
      Lov

Why it's not like he'd get a game.

We've got a even better striker than Owen.

He's a manc now, get over it!!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #80: Sep 06, 2010 10:18:07 pm
      Lov

Manc, Bitter or W.U.M. mate? ... .I'm guessing Manc.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #81: Sep 06, 2010 10:19:40 pm
      Manc, Bitter or W.U.M. mate? ... .I'm guessing Manc.

KBB= All the above!
      kennysbigbum
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • go ed giz a job
      Reply #82: Sep 06, 2010 11:43:29 pm
      Negatori good buddy (to use my favourite CB radio term) - I just dont agree with the Michael hatred thang.  To be fair its make or break for him at Utd this season.  He's struggling to get into the Burnley team on my iphone Football Manager - which incidentally is brilliant.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #83: Sep 06, 2010 11:48:16 pm
      They always come out at night. Having a laugh KBB. That ll be short lived
      kennysbigbum
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • go ed giz a job
      Reply #84: Sep 06, 2010 11:55:10 pm
      Wot is a W.U.M anyway?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #85: Sep 06, 2010 11:56:51 pm
      An arse that comes on to another teams forum and acts as a Wind Up Merchant
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #86: Sep 07, 2010 12:05:44 am
      An arse that comes on to another teams forum and acts as a Wind Up Merchant

And usually acts like a 10 year old, though usually many years older.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #87: Sep 07, 2010 12:15:02 am

Well  my family clapped him , so that makes us idiots does it !!
      We clapped him for the fact that he was a fantastic player for us , he was wearing the Red of Liverpool and he turned out for his mate's testimonial knowing that some sections of the crowd would boo him. We clapped him because we're Reds not bitter Blues ! Oh , and because Carra  asked us NOT to boo.

Always thought we were better than that lot across the park. Maybe I was wrong.

To be fair, giving him no reaction makes us better than the bitters. And that's what I, and many others around the ground did including a few others on this forum.

We didn't boo him. We didn't cheer him. We practically ignored him.

Carra asked the fans not to boo, that doesn't mean we have to dance and prance instead. Before Carra said anything, I'm sure a great deal of fans were going to ignore Owen anyway. It wasn't the game for us to boo him. It was Carra's testimonial, and that at the end of the day is what we were all for. Nobody went to cheer or boo Owen, they went to show their thanks for the service from Jamie Carragher and to help support his 23 Foundation.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #88: Sep 07, 2010 12:20:58 am

No you soft c**t all is not forgiven. And to be perfectly honest all won't be forgiven ever.

I'm sure Owen himself is wishing all was forgiven though so he could return to England's most successful club. However we have a player now who is ten times the player Owen was in his prime so we wouldn't the turncoat tw*t back. You Manc cu*ts are welcome to keep the injury prone dwarf.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #89: Sep 07, 2010 12:43:07 am
      You Manc cu*ts are welcome to keep the injury prone dwarf.

And we'll keep our injury-prone elf.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #90: Sep 07, 2010 12:45:44 pm
      Jamie Carragher asks Liverpool fans not to abuse Michael Owen in charity testimonial- Instead you should wait outside and kick the sh*t out of him there!! ;D ;D ;D
      Don77

• 6,616 posts | 1110 
      Reply #91: Sep 07, 2010 02:56:57 pm

I think JD has got a bit confused here. There were plenty of idiots at Anfield at the testimonial but the idiots were not the ones clapping Owen. The idiots were the the people booing him. The game was a celebration of one of the legends of our time, a great servant to the club. Add to that the fact that it was also a day for charities and for the kids to goto Anfield and see some great players past and present. Owen is Carra's mate and he was there to show his respect for his mate. The game was about Jamie Carragher, not Michael Owen. Those who chose to boo him made complete idiots of themselves and were quite frankley embarrasing!

Fair play to the people who clapped him. As Aldo said, it was good to see him in the red shirt again and we should not forget what he did for us.

Well done Jamie.....a true Liverpool legend and a credit to the club and the city!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #92: Sep 07, 2010 04:26:22 pm
      Was at the match, a good game.  Great to see Stevie come up for it.  Nice to see Carra score, for both teams...  Garcia looked great, albeit against an inexperienced left-back, cracking goal to start proceedings off.  Cole played well, well taken goal on the volley.  I know it was only a friendly, but it was still a derby and our youngsters looked good.  Nice to see some old faces again. 

As for Owen, I booed him the first time he touched the ball and joined in with the first chorus of "where were you in Istanbul?" in a pretty light-hearted manner, I thought everyone was having a laugh.  He has tainted his history with us, but I was shocked that ten minutes in, he was still being booed.  And, yes, JD, I did clap him to counter-act the muppets booing him on what was Carra's day.  Can't believe some idiots were booing him right up until half-time when he went off. 

Also, don't know if it has been mentioned, but nice one to the Everton fans who brought the Justice banner.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #93: Sep 07, 2010 05:42:11 pm
      I think JD has got a bit confused here. There were plenty of idiots at Anfield at the testimonial but the idiots were not the ones clapping Owen. The idiots were the the people booing him. The game was a celebration of one of the legends of our time, a great servant to the club. Add to that the fact that it was also a day for charities and for the kids to goto Anfield and see some great players past and present. Owen is Carra's mate and he was there to show his respect for his mate. The game was about Jamie Carragher, not Michael Owen. Those who chose to boo him made complete idiots of themselves and were quite frankley embarrasing!

Fair play to the people who clapped him. As Aldo said, it was good to see him in the red shirt again and we should not forget what he did for us.

Well done Jamie.....a true Liverpool legend and a credit to the club and the city!

Very well said.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #94: Sep 07, 2010 05:44:51 pm

Thing is though, why would they feel the need to clap him over any other player? As you say, it's Carra's testimonial, not a Michael Owen appreciation day.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #95: Sep 07, 2010 10:41:30 pm
      Thing is though, why would they feel the need to clap him over any other player? As you say, it's Carra's testimonial, not a Michael Owen appreciation day.
      Spot on...
      Don77

• 6,616 posts | 1110 
      Reply #96: Sep 08, 2010 09:59:22 am

I would have thought that was obvious..... to stick 2 fingers up at the idiots who chose to boo him. Do you think people would have felt the need to clap him if people had not abused him? For me, the treatment of Owen was stupid, especially when Carra asked for it not to happen.  And just to counter your excuse for the behoviour of these idiots, it was not 'have a go at Michael Owen' day either! It seems that some turned up just to do this! As I said, embarrasing!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #97: Sep 08, 2010 02:39:46 pm
      I think he himself knew of the reaction to his move, hence why he's kept his mouth shut about it to further flame the feelings.

The urge to clap him is a tad over exaggerated, as is the need to boo him.

He is a Manc now. For that reason, who cares about him and what reaction he gets because the need to get involved is immature.
      Don77

• 6,616 posts | 1110 
      Reply #98: Sep 08, 2010 02:49:33 pm
      I think he himself knew of the reaction to his move, hence why he's kept his mouth shut about it to further flame the feelings.

The urge to clap him is a tad over exaggerated, as is the need to boo him.

He is a Manc now. For that reason, who cares about him and what reaction he gets because the need to get involved is immature.

I agree mate. As I have previously stated on a number of occasions, I have no feeling toward him now. He is just a face in the crowd. But I will always remember what he did for the club while he was here and it was a hell of a lot. I will always respect what he did for Liverpool Fc.

Quick Reply