Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 738610 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,835 posts | 6778 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #4255: Apr 03, 2016 01:18:13 pm
      He's had enough time to impress and show his worth.

We need absolute quality in that position and a real leader. Henderson doesn't score, shocking set pieces and does not lead by example.

If we can get Ā£25m then I would take it and start fresh.

Agreed.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #4256: Apr 03, 2016 01:25:19 pm
      Imagine replacing him with someone who is great on the dead ball, gets 10 goals a season and dictates play from the middle?

It would make a world of difference

To be fair to Henderson, his fellow CMs (Milner, Can, Lucas and Allen )are all much of the same, honest hard-working players with a bit of ability who can all shine from time to time but more often than not they retreat back to being functional, 7 out of 10 players. Replace any one of them with some genuine quality and it would make a huge difference, all of them are what I would call complimentary players. Surround a Milner or a Henderson with lots of pace, skill and guille and their strengths come to the fore, that's why the City fans loved Milner so much. Henderson was terrific in 2013 because he wasn't asked to make too many things happen, the attention was on our other players. All he had to do was run hard, keep the ball ticking over, chip in with the odd goal and work hard.

I know one thing though, Henderson can't be the Skipper next season, it doesn't work for me. It was a brain fart by Brendan to give him the arm band in the first place.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #4257: Apr 03, 2016 01:44:28 pm
      To be fair to Henderson, his fellow CMs (Milner, Can, Lucas and Allen )are all much of the same, honest hard-working players with a bit of ability who can all shine from time to time but more often than not they retreat back to being functional, 7 out of 10 players. Replace any one of them with some genuine quality and it would make a huge difference, all of them are what I would call complimentary players. Surround a Milner or a Henderson with lots of pace, skill and guille and their strengths come to the fore, that's why the City fans loved Milner so much. Henderson was terrific in 2013 because he wasn't asked to make too many things happen, the attention was on our other players. All he had to do was run hard, keep the ball ticking over, chip in with the odd goal and work hard.

I know one thing though, Henderson can't be the Skipper next season, it doesn't work for me. It was a brain fart by Brendan to give him the arm band in the first place.

I know another thing- Henderson cannot be an automatic started next season either. As you mentioned, replace anyone of them with genuine quality and it would make a big difference. That is the difference between a good team, and a great team. Yes, you need the graft, but also the craft and I think Henderson as our skipper speaks volumes about how far off the top teams we really are st present.

He can do a job, and would be good to keep him, but there are many better players out there. Work rate isn't everything.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #4258: Apr 03, 2016 01:46:05 pm
      Excuse my typos. This iPhone is not great.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #4259: Apr 03, 2016 02:39:18 pm
      Thought this too. It was funny though, right after the match I check the LFC vs. Spurs LIVE thread and three posts in a row just tore Henderson a new one. Do people even watch the match or do they just use Hendo as a scapegoat for every match we drop points?

He tidied up the midfield and made multiple tackles right outside our box and had a couple of passes that really opened up Tottenham. I saw glimpses of the old Hendo today and any criticism he has been receiving today is completely unwarranted.

I've always defended Henderson against scathing criticism, and I've always liked the guy. But while others saw a good game, I was frustrated with what I saw too many Spurs players giving him the run around. I thought he was beaten too easily and that players just seemed to walk through him. He seemed to always be involved around the play rather actually involved IN the play. While he did win the ball back on a few occasions, the inaction when he had the ball was frustrating because his passing and failure to take initiative is probably the most frustrating thing about him. Many players in his position would have the ability to turn and get the ball forward, but his inability to pass forward, and his inability to turn results in futile balls sideways and backwards.

This is a big problem for Klopp as it hampers the quick transition play that he favours. Liverpool can't possibly play that way if Henderson is not playing incisive and attacking passes. Watching Klopp's Dortmund, the central midfield would often pivot and pass immediately forward under transition - under Henderson, play just seems to get held up as he holds on to it a second too long and fails to play the ball forward. Because of this, the opposition find it much easier to get back into position, thus making our movement non-existent as all our players have been marked up.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4260: Apr 03, 2016 03:33:35 pm
      While he did win the ball back on a few occasions, the inaction when he had the ball was frustrating because his passing and failure to take initiative is probably the most frustrating thing about him. Many players in his position would have the ability to turn and get the ball forward, but his inability to pass forward, and his inability to turn results in futile balls sideways and backwards.

It's not the odd game or so that it happens, isn't it? It's throughout his career that he has always been like this. This is why he is average when played in the 2 man CM role and asked to become the predominant figure in the middle. Can is similar in that sense too. We can't continue to play both, it has to change next season.

Henderson was terrific in 2013 because he wasn't asked to make too many things happen, the attention was on our other players. All he had to do was run hard, keep the ball ticking over, chip in with the odd goal and work hard.

This is Henderson at his best and playing to his strengths, but it seems like Klopp will play a midfield triangle instead of 3 man midfield, so I'm struggling to see how he will fit into our first team regularly next season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,703 posts | 3938 
      Reply #4261: Apr 03, 2016 06:53:17 pm
      Would be interesting to have a poll and see what everyone is thinking.

I don't think anyone would mind him staying as he's a great squad player. He's just not captain material and should not be our focal point in the middle.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4262: Apr 03, 2016 09:06:49 pm
      Good to hear/read.

Liverpool captain Henderson: I'm getting back to my best after injury nightmare.

18:58, 3 Apr 2016
          By James Pearce

Henderson has missed a large part of the season with a troublesome heel injury.

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson believes heā€™s finally getting back to his best form as he looks to put his injury nightmare behind him.

The Reds midfielder walked away from Anfield on Saturday evening clutching the sponsorsā€™ man of the match champagne after a tenacious display in the 1-1 draw with Tottenham.

Itā€™s been a hugely frustrating campaign for Henderson, who has been severely hampered by a debilitating heel condition.

After limping off against Bournemouth in August, he was sidelined for three-and-a-half months.

Plantar fasciitis - a thickening of the band of tissue running underneath the sole of the foot ā€“ continued to affect him, even after the ligament fully ruptured in January.

There have been times when Henderson hasnā€™t been able to do himself justice for JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s side but Saturday represented a significant step forward for the skipper as he led by example with his energy and athleticism.

ā€œI feel as though Iā€™m getting back to where I want to be,ā€ Henderson told the ECHO.

ā€œSometimes I can be my own worst enemy if Iā€™m playing with an injury or different things. Itā€™s my own fault at times.

ā€œBut thatā€™s just the way I am. I want to play football. I want to try and put myself out for the team.

ā€œI feel as though now Iā€™m starting to get back to the physicality ā€“ thatā€™s a big part of my game. When thatā€™s correct then everything else seems to flow much better. I felt good against Spurs.

ā€œWhen I was away with England I think I put in one of my highest performances of the season (against Germany) in terms of the physical side of the game which was pleasing for me.

ā€œI got confidence from that and I just need to continue to work instead of trying to play catch up all the time.ā€

Only a sustained period of rest will enable the heel issue to completely clear up and Henderson wonā€™t get that until after this summerā€™s European Championships in France.

However, the 25-year-old is upbeat and ready to lead the charge for the Reds in the closing stages of the campaign as they prepare for Thursdayā€™s Europa League quarter-final first leg away to Borussia Dortmund.

ā€œItā€™s not an issue for me. After games it still gets a bit sore but itā€™s much better than how it was and thatā€™s pleasing,ā€ Henderson added.

ā€œI am out there, Iā€™m playing and I can manage it.

ā€œWhen it completely goes will be whenever I have a rest. But Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll have one of them any time soon.

ā€œMaybe if I go to the Euros, Iā€™ll have some time off after that and then after the rest hopefully it will have completely settled.

ā€œUntil then I just have to manage it. I feel better physically all the time and Iā€™m getting back to where I want to be.ā€

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-captain-henderson-im-getting-11131993
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,382 posts | 6404 
      Reply #4263: Apr 03, 2016 09:31:46 pm
      Jordan is an odd one for me.  I like his personality, and I find myself rooting for him to be the person that a lot of people say he is, but there are times that he just doesn't seem to impress me the way he impresses others. I suppose that could be down to my knowledge of the game, maybe I don't see or can't discern some of the things he brings to the side that others with much better knowledge and experience can easily see. I desperately want him to live up to the billing that some afford him on here but I struggle with rating him as highly as other folks do. I know he's struggling with injury, but  he just doesn't seem as dynamic of a player as I'd expect him to be. Maybe someone can educate me on him.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4264: Apr 03, 2016 09:38:02 pm
      JĆ¼rgen has him playing in a back two with Emre; pretty much assured your not going to see him bombing forward much as that will be Emre's task; the way he was played in '13 is gone now and won't be coming back.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4265: Apr 03, 2016 09:48:43 pm

That is good to hear.

Tis amazing how we can all watch the same game and some will think he is sh*te, and some motm.
      Know could say that about any player,  but of all LFC players, seems to be most applicable to Hendo.
      Thought he did well yest, don't think m(an)otm like some, or m(ug)otm like others, but did well enough.

Hasn't been at his best lately, but hasn't gotten the benefit of the doubt from many (though obviously carrying *impediment*).
      If he's feeling better, then the games v BVB are a chance to show that. We'll need players to stand up and be counted over the two legs - and think Hendo is one of those we really need to play well to have a chance to get through.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4266: Apr 03, 2016 10:01:19 pm
      He's had enough time to impress and show his worth.

We need absolute quality in that position and a real leader. Henderson doesn't score, shocking set pieces and does not lead by example.

If we can get Ā£25m then I would take it and start fresh.

Henderson was terrific in 2013 because he wasn't asked to make too many things happen, the attention was on our other players.
      All he had to do was run hard, keep the ball ticking over, chip in with the odd goal and work hard.

I know one thing though, Henderson can't be the Skipper next season, it doesn't work for me.

It was a brain fart by Brendan to give him the arm band in the first place.

I don't think anyone would mind him staying as he's a great squad player.
      He's just not captain material and should not be our focal point in the middle.

Agree with all.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4267: Apr 06, 2016 10:52:05 pm
      Really need to not get overrun in the middle, try to get some control and keep some possession. Otherwise, could be a bit overrun.

Captain's performance from Hendo tomorrow ? It's a lot to ask, away to a very good side, in form - could be doing with him putting in a real shift.

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #4268: Apr 07, 2016 06:37:27 am
      Really need to not get overrun in the middle, try to get some control and keep some possession. Otherwise, could be a bit overrun.

Captain's performance from Hendo tomorrow ? It's a lot to ask, away to a very good side, in form - could be doing with him putting in a real shift.

There's absolutely no way we keep control against them unless one of their lads gets sent off or something.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #4269: Apr 07, 2016 10:53:00 pm
      Can anybody tell me what our captains main attributes are? As a midfielder, I expect him to be able to tackle, pass and/or shoot at least.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4270: Apr 07, 2016 11:08:42 pm
      Can anybody tell me what our captains main attributes are? As a midfielder, I expect him to be able to tackle, pass and/or shoot at least.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/jordan_henderson/165/165/86/0/p#total

If you click the 'add stat' feature you can compare anything you like to any other player you want. I would also suggest limiting it to 'per 90 minutes' as it shows details on games played only, not season totals (so players don't have better stats because they have played more)

Any word on the injury at all?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #4271: Apr 08, 2016 01:37:56 am
      Apparently it's his knee and he could miss the rest of the season. That's probably a good thing though from a long-term perspective because it means he might have time to allow his ankle to heal over the summer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,382 posts | 6404 
      Reply #4272: Apr 08, 2016 01:43:00 am
      Injury may be a blessing for him? He needs to get himself right physically and mentally and refocus for next season. He's had a massive drop off from the player he was 2 years ago. Just too much inconsistency as of late that could be down to injuries I suppose.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4273: Apr 08, 2016 02:07:33 am
      Henderson may have played his last game for us.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #4274: Apr 08, 2016 02:08:15 am
      Henderson may have played his last game for us.

Let's hope so!
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #4275: Apr 08, 2016 07:45:12 am

Fed, is there any player at the club you like..?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #4276: Apr 08, 2016 08:25:06 am
      Fed, is there any player at the club you like..?

I like them all!  They all seem like nice lads.

If what you really mean is, "are there any players at the club that I rate," the answer is yes, and they are:

1) Coutinho
      2) Sturridge
      3) Can
      4) Firmino
      5) Clyne
      6) Sakho

That's pretty much it.  I'm even starting to come around to Joseph.  Also liked what I saw of Ings, the little time he did get.

I wouldn't mind if we literally sold every single one of the rest of them.  Mignolet, Moreno, Skrtel, Henderson, Milner, Benteke, Lallana, Lucas, they can literally all go.  And we would be none the worse.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4277: Apr 08, 2016 09:22:52 am
      I like them all!  They all seem like nice lads.

If what you really mean is, "are there any players at the club that I rate," the answer is yes, and they are:

1) Coutinho
      2) Sturridge
      3) Can
      4) Firmino
      5) Clyne
      6) Sakho

That's pretty much it.  I'm even starting to come around to Joseph.  Also liked what I saw of Ings, the little time he did get.

I wouldn't mind if we literally sold every single one of the rest of them.  Mignolet, Moreno, Skrtel, Henderson, Milner, Benteke, Lallana, Lucas, they can literally all go.  And we would be none the worse.

Out of our current first XI I'd keep:

Mignolet (as backup keeper)
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Clyne
      Moreno (purely as backup)
      Milner (good squad player)
      Can
      Allen (becoming more and more useful as a squad player)
      Lucas (good squad player)
      Coutts
      Firminio
      Markovich (want to see him in a Klopp team)
      Ibe (Still think there is a player in there)
      Sturridge
      Ings
      Origi

To be sold:
      Henderson (offers far to little as a midfileder or captain)
      Lallana (has got skills but is so lightweight and very little end product)
      Benteke (has forgotten how to be a striker)

I really would be wary about getting rid of to many all at once, unless we have very solid replacements coming in.

Quick Reply