Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who played the best today?

Pepe Reina
      (0.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (14.2%)
      Jose Enrique
      (6.7%)
      Jay Spearing
      (20.9%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (10.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (8.2%)
      Stewart Downing
      (5.2%)
      Luis Suarez
      (28.4%)
      Other
      (5.2%)

Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal: In-Game and Post Match Frustration

Read 53791 times
      PassAndGoAway
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal: In-Game and Post Match Frustration
      Reply #782: Mar 04, 2012 10:19:25 am
      What to say really.. post, missed pen..same old story.

Cant remember Arsenal having too many chances (Pepe made a great save 2nd half, couldnt see who from). That midfield yesterday is simply not good enough and we are 10 points behind the Gooners! Oh.and that linesman was a grade A tw*t too!

How did the atmosphere come across on the telly?

Think Kenny got team selection wrong yesterday and left it far too late to make subs.

Pissed off today! :(

Not sure what game you watched..our midfield bossed the game throughout
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012 11:07:58 am by ayrton77 »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #783: Mar 04, 2012 10:31:46 am
      Dunno what more can be said that hasn't already about the game. Woodwork, pens, easy chances. Story of our season.

Very disappointed with how naive we seemed yesterday. The way we went to play offside for that last goal, you can see the defence step up, you can't take that chance in the last few minutes, just drop little deeper when Song picks that ball up, reduce the space and stick tight to the man.

Don't know about anyone else but it comes to pens now and I have no confidence that we will score, god knows how the players must feel. Taking of chances was one again poor, Kelly who I felt had a decent game, best chance he will ever get, couldn't believe it.

I thought despite how well we played, when they rarely threatened, we looked too open to them, there was very little pressure on the man on the ball and that's all the midfields fault. Against a team like Arsenal you can't give up that level of space.

Also I was very annoyed with Spearing when he went in legs up for a challenge, sliding in from about 20 yards away. Did he not learn his lesson earlier in the season when he was sent off for that type of challenge? Another ref could of punished him for that but other than that he had a decent game.

Really disappointed, that's 4th gone now, so with Europa already secured I wouldn't mind seeing Kenny using the rest of the league games to mix things up a little and experiment and evaluate where we need to improve in the summer and who needs to go.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #784: Mar 04, 2012 10:43:13 am
      Cant really say a lot ,still bewildered by what went on yesterday ,i dont think i have ever witnessed a more one sided game and still come away with fck all ,the story of our season in a nutshell all them chances and no poacher to put them away.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #785: Mar 04, 2012 10:48:20 am
      Amazing how if we won it and our game in hand, we would be a single point behind Arsenal but eh .. we lost and now we're 10 points adrift.

It's not good enough when we've won less than half of our league games played and especially since we do not have European football distraction.

Arsenal have stepped up to the plate, beating Spurs and now us, but can they get to the finishing line ahead of us? I, for one, think we can overhaul them into 4th place with the fixtures both teams have remaining. Dust ourselves down and keep playing as we are.

While that is possible, we need Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal to drop points, while we ourselves HAVE TO WIN games ... but considering how bad we have been in front of goal and that out best win streak is TWO league games this season ... I have to admit I don't see us winning 10 of 12 games.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,348 posts | 2869 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #786: Mar 04, 2012 11:26:32 am
      Just seen there winner. I have to say I thought Pepe could have got to that
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #787: Mar 04, 2012 11:44:00 am
      That midfield yesterday is simply not good enough

I maybe wrong but I saw a midfield which, out-passed, out-fought and out-played, the often praised, Arsenal midfield for most of, if not all of, the game. A midfield which dominated the game and created enough (whilst limiting Arsenal's) chances to have easily won the game.

I dare say they wouldn't be the first choice 'three' in a fully fit squad boosted by big name signings but... they weren't too shabby yesterday. We lost through NO fault of theirs.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #788: Mar 04, 2012 12:18:54 pm
      Just seen there winner. I have to say I thought Pepe could have got to that

Have to say i agree, towards the end it looks as if Pepe just left his arm there instead of fully extending it, but to be honest the pace of the volley might of been too much for him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,348 posts | 2869 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #789: Mar 04, 2012 12:36:57 pm
      Have to say i agree, towards the end it looks as if Pepe just left his arm there instead of fully extending it, but to be honest the pace of the volley might of been too much for him.

Its his near post he could have got his body behind it or at worst a hand to it.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #790: Mar 04, 2012 12:43:56 pm
      Its his near post he could have got his body behind it or at worst a hand to it.

True and it was obvious a shot was coming his way.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #791: Mar 04, 2012 12:56:33 pm
      Statistically we create as many chances as Man City/Spurs have about as much possesion and a fantastic defensive record. The only thing that costs us is our 8% chance conversion, 21 woodwork hits and 6 missed penalties.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #792: Mar 04, 2012 01:02:19 pm
      Pepe should have had that near post covered by we can't simply put all blame on him when the attackers aren't doing their job as well.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #793: Mar 04, 2012 01:07:27 pm
      A keeper of his class should be saving those near post , i just think he wasn,t switched on due to his lack of involvement in the game ,.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,418 posts | 8646 
      Reply #794: Mar 04, 2012 01:14:58 pm
      A keeper of his class should be saving those near post , i just think he wasn,t switched on due to his lack of involvement in the game ,.

By the same token wouldn't he have not made the instinct save he made a little earlier in the game if that was true.

It was a good strike from Van Pervy!!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #795: Mar 04, 2012 01:15:12 pm
      Had to stay away a while to cool down. Thought we massivbely out pl;ayed them for long periods of the game, and just can't believe we went on to lose it. Should have been over by half time. Soooo pissed off right now, not sure how we can make up that amount of ground for 4 th place. Just totally gutted. Don't rate Adam or Hendo as top top players, but that said, they didn't deserve to lose that, they must be shattered mentaly as must the rest of the squad. Thought Bellers should have come on a lot earlier, once again, subs on to late to be able to settle and make an impact. I just don't see why Kenny or any other manager does that.  Europa slot safe, but that's not good enough for L.F.C.  Now we really can't aford anything but wins from here on in.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #796: Mar 04, 2012 01:41:50 pm

Carragher & Kelly, between them, should never have let him have the chance, if we're playing that game.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #797: Mar 04, 2012 01:45:39 pm
      Now that ive calmed down and am thinking rationally i thought id post again.

Liverpool were the better team.PERIOD.

We outclassed them at their own game with the fluidity of Kuyt, Suarez, Downing, Adam and Henderson. Our midfield was excellent, completely outperforming their gutless one. We were fluid, instinctive, intelligent and combative in possession, but also technically more adept. Some of the football was orgasmic to watch at times. Spearing had an excellent game particularly going about his defensive work well but showing a significant improvement in his attacking instincts aswell playing a few cleverly threaded passess.

The defense was solid on the left hand side with Enrique and Skrtel playing blinders, the right hand side of the defence not so much. Hendersons movement infield allowed Kelly to exploit space on the right hand side which he didnt do effectively, whipping countless wayward crossess and giving away possession with sloppy passes. And Carra is quite obviously past it im afraid. He was very slow reacting to Sagnas (brilliant) cross and let RvP bully him in situations. The communication with Kelly for RvP's second should have also been better, you simply cannot take your eyes off the most prolific striker in the league, not to mention the fact that Song plays those balls into him so often, they should of been expecting it. Didnt like how Reina got beaten 1 yard at his near post but i wont elaborate. ;)

Overall the performance of the team was very promising in fact. If Kelly's tap in had gone in and RvP hit the side netting with his volley, we would all be rejoicing at how brilliant the team performance was and how we completely cut open another top team.

But that isnt the case and that isnt down to the manager, but solely down to our players not being clinical enough in front of goal. We have the worst chance to goal ration in the league. We missed a penalty and hit the post twice and had two players missing  fairly open goals from 3 yards out (Kuyt & Kelly).

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012 01:57:59 pm by Suarez-7 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,418 posts | 8646 
      Reply #798: Mar 04, 2012 01:46:49 pm
      Liverpool were the better team.PERIOD.

Need some tampons for that   ;D
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #799: Mar 04, 2012 01:53:14 pm

Blood Red  :P
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #800: Mar 04, 2012 01:53:26 pm
      Anyone trying to play up the whole 1 point better off than last season rubbish needs to realise how well we're playing compared to the rubbish we were playing last year, we're a mile away from that team and performances like the one we had yesterday will win 99% of games.

Astounded by our lack of ability to score from the spot, like has been said above I expect us to miss at the moment it's got that bad, however the rebound should of been put away, hitting the post and bar is getting beyond a joke now and people criticise Luis for not being clinical enough which the numbers this season clearly back up but I've never seen a striker hit so many damn posts and bars. Kelly, I have no bloody idea how he missed that but still it's this season and we've come to expect it, on any other day we'd of been 3 up at half time so to question Kenny's tactics you're having a laugh I'm afraid we dominated them almost the entire first half a deserved a couple of goals lead.

Was much more even in the second half but we were still the better side, lots of the lads played really well for me although I do agree that Spearing and Adam are not the class we want to rely on permanently in there and must look to replace them with world class players in the summer, thankfully one should be just coming back from injury. Also agree Pepe could of done better with their winner but pretty sure he was expecting him to go accoss his body, even so could of got a hand to it but on the balance of play like for most of our home games we were by far the superior team we just couldn't get the damn ball in the net which is the only damn issue we have at home because if we'd of comverted our fair share of chances we'd be sitting pretty in the top 4 now! Not going to get overly down although I think 4th is a big ask now but I remain encouraged by our progress, let's just hope we can get in quality in the summer and I'm 100% confident we'll be back in the champs league.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #801: Mar 04, 2012 02:08:01 pm
      This time last season we were playing better and winning and if we dont win 3/4 of the rest of our games we will end up with less points than last season.

As at this stage last season Kenny had us winning scoring goals freely and playing better football.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #802: Mar 04, 2012 02:11:14 pm
      This time last season we were playing better and winning and if we dont win 3/4 of the rest of our games we will end up with less points than last season.

As at this stage last season Kenny had us winning scoring goals freely and playing better football.

Kenny out!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #803: Mar 04, 2012 02:12:52 pm
      Who said that.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #804: Mar 04, 2012 02:17:19 pm

I just don't know what kind of response your expecting from that post Corb.

Quick Reply