Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?

Read 20194 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?
      May 31, 2012 10:47:42 am
       Whenever you see Brendan Rodgers interviewed he talks about players needing a high level of "technical" ability in order to play in his tip tap style. He also speaks about a high level of game intelligence, allied to good fitness in order to be able to press the ball in groups, "make the transition" and all that mallarkey. Which of our players current or on loan are likely to fit or otherwise?

An obvious casualty for me is Dirk Kuyt. God love him for his effort, but if you want to ping it about and you haven't got a crash helmet for everyone in the first three rows of the crowd, Dirks not your man. My guess is he'll be on his way very shortly.

Charlie Adam? I like him but he seemingly doesn't fit the mould either with his long raking passes, his concession of possession too easily and his Friar Tuck physique. My guess is if his wages aren't too onorous, he'll be away as well.

Carra? Perhaps time for the final coaching badge and a spot in amongst the back room team for our "no nonsense" defender?

Any players which might be given another chance to shine? Well the obvious is Joe Cole, and such a topic starter wouldn't be complete without giving Albert Waterman a mention now would it? Could it just be that our extravagant outlay on both is belatedly about to bear fruit? No I don't think so either but I thought I'd throw it in. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012 12:29:15 pm by JD »
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers playing style-who is likely to be in or out of favour?
      Reply #1: May 31, 2012 10:50:38 am
      I think Henderson will be F***ing amazing in this style of play. I look forward to it. :)
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #2: May 31, 2012 10:57:15 am
      Think Carra will be a cup player, mainly to help with the younger players progression. But also so he can earn his 700th appearance, which he thoroughly deserves.

Interested to see how nineteen year olds Teixeira and Adorjan could potentially push to the first team. Both fit the 'mould'.
      Redfish
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #3: May 31, 2012 11:01:12 am
      I'd like to see Aquilani given a proper shot at it, he has a superb first touch and would be perfect for the style Rodgers likes.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #4: May 31, 2012 11:10:03 am
      I agree with Adam not fitting in Mick. Jay Spearing could also struggle in the new style of play.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #5: May 31, 2012 11:15:18 am
      Would have thought Charlie Adam may not be in his long term thoughts. Carroll is good with his feet and its not like Swansea never put crosses in.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #6: May 31, 2012 11:24:02 am
      I think Henderson will be f**king amazing in this style of play. I look forward to it. :)

I agree that it could suit him - Shelvey as well may flourish in this style.  Lucas is the obvious water carrier.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: May 31, 2012 11:24:09 am
      Adam, Spearing and Shelvey off the top of my head solely based on his expected tactics. It depends if he's going to use the same philosophy in every title/cup team. He may choose a different style of player depending on the opposition.

I'm hoping he's the kind of manager who can see something in a man and mould him into a player who fits into and can do a good job within his tactical model.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: May 31, 2012 11:24:35 am
      more importantly what about gerrard and his role
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: May 31, 2012 11:26:17 am
      more importantly what about gerrard and his role

Gerrard could have played for Wimbledon in the 80's, or Barcelona today, he's that good. In any position.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #10: May 31, 2012 11:28:37 am
      Carragher, Adam and Kuyt are the obvious casualties.

Carroll can adapt in my opinion, have a look at Swansea's play and you'll see that they aren't afraid of whipping it in to Graham. Do think we'll go after a different type of striker to give another option though.

Shelvey's young enough to adapt to a different system. Henderson will absolutely thrive under Rodgers too.

Keeping Maxi might not be a bad idea now, he's very slick with his movement and short passing.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #11: May 31, 2012 11:30:48 am
      Gerrard could have played for Wimbledon in the 80's, or Barcelona today, he's that good. In any position.

Out of our squad Gerrard could teach them all about anticipation and pass and move.

F**k, I'm looking forward to next season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12: May 31, 2012 11:30:50 am
      Considering Dirk's second touch is normally an attempt at a tackle I think he could be in trouble.

Imagine this three in a Rodgers system:

Lucas
                                                    Alonso
                                   Gerrard

I can only dream/pull the head off it.
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #13: May 31, 2012 11:32:23 am
      I see Shelvey and Henderson flourishing, as well as of course Suarez. Thinking about possible transfers in - I think Ibrahim Affelay could do well; he is a young Joe Cole in my eyes, except with a little more flair. All depends on Joe Cole's role: does he come back or not?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: May 31, 2012 11:33:30 am
      Carragher, Adam and Kuyt are the obvious casualties.

Carroll can adapt in my opinion, have a look at Swansea's play and you'll see that they aren't afraid of whipping it in to Graham. Do think we'll go after a different type of striker to give another option though.

Shelvey's young enough to adapt to a different system. Henderson will absolutely thrive under Rodgers too.

Keeping Maxi might not be a bad idea now, he's very slick with his movement and short passing.

Agree with the rest but not sure about Shelvey, his passing is suspect, he rushes way too much and his spatial awareness is so low at times he looks like he needs a white stick. It'll be a good test if Rodgers can get him to fit though, for player and manager.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #15: May 31, 2012 11:36:02 am
      Think Johnson will really flourish in this system, along with the others that have been mentioned above. Joe Cole was one of the players I immediately thought of, but I can't really see him getting the chance especially on his wages.

Spearing, Carra, Dirk all are going to struggle to fit in IMO. Can see Dirk and Spearing being moved on, as well as Adam.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #16: May 31, 2012 11:37:55 am
      OUT:
      Carra will be moved to the coaching set-up.

Adam plays too many long-balls, Short passing is key.

Kuyt - lots of work and effort, but no end result.

Downing - Clearly his confidence is shot for sh*t, so may not be a bad idea to bring Scott Sinclair in.

4-3-3 is his prefered formation, So essentially we will need a DM (LUCAS) and 2 Attacking Midfielders (AQUILANI AND GERRARD)

IN:

Aquilani- Creative, a great passer of the ball, and really deserves a chance
      Cole - Can see Joe Cole getting another chance now..
      Sterling- Pacy, Quick and can Kill full backs with pace.
      Agger - The kind of CB he likes

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #17: May 31, 2012 11:50:13 am
      I think Kuyt and Maxi may go because of wages. If we wanted to play possession football and score goals I would keep them though. Kuyt and Maxi are both intelligent movers which is fundamental in pass and move football.

I really think Downing will flourish.....only joking.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #18: May 31, 2012 11:55:26 am
      I wouldn't have thought Carroll would have been his cup of tea.
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #19: May 31, 2012 11:55:29 am

Got to admit that Adam, Dirk, Carragher and Spearing are the ones that I suspect might struggle. Hope I'm wrong about Spearing but to me he looks to have limited potential for improvement but I think a lot of our younger players will have the potential for real development.

I can see the argument that Henderson might flourish but I think Agger, Lucas and Suarez were made for Brendan and to be honest I'm expecting big things from Shelvey and continued improvement from Carroll.

Be interesting to see the shape of the team but I'll be pleased to see a lot less reliance on 442.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #20: May 31, 2012 12:00:23 pm
      I wouldn't have thought Carroll would have been his cup of tea.
      To be fair, they played with a big guy in Danny Graham at Swansea. Carroll is good with his feet and I'd imagine that Rodgers will be willing to give him a chance, I'm interested to see how he adapts tactically though and if he's willing to constantly close the opposition defence down.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: May 31, 2012 12:25:44 pm
      What a difference the style of football makes to a player eh?

Adam , Spearing and Kuyt are not suited to the nice tight pass and move footie...

An obvious casualty for me is Dirk Kuyt. God love him for his effort, but if you want to ping it about and you haven't got a crash helmet for everyone in the first three rows of the crowd, Dirks not your man. My guess is he'll be on his way very shortly.
        :laughing-smiley-014:

Alberto and Joe would be a good inclusion and would love to see Raheem get some more time under Rodge! Ha
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #22: May 31, 2012 12:29:57 pm
      Interesting times ahead..

With Rodgers likely (Hopefully) to use his adaption of a 1-4-3-3 you could see the following all really flourishing

Reina..

Will love a higher line that he can be behind and start a lot of moves and be a "sweeper keeper"

Agger..

Ball playing centre back will adore it.

Skrtel..

Will give it simple.

Johnson..

Getting forward, comfortable with the ball..

Lucas..

The man in front of the back 4, good touch, not scared under pressure, will tick the play along.

Henderson..

Can pass a lovely ball, all energy.

Gerrard..

Can do anything.. Will love a free type role under Rodgers.

Suarez...

As Gerrard..

Carroll..

I think he will flourish, he has shown he has good feet towards the end of the season, is a far better player than Danny Graham, if Rodgers can get him the service he will be a big player next year.

Coates..

Will improve and get more time I think..

Then the jury is out for me on.. Not that I think these will immediately move on but will have their work cut out to develop into his style.

Enrique..
      Is a very good defender, but on the ball can dwell on it at times, goes down blind tunnels.. Will have to improve that side of his game.

Adam..
      Who knows if he will get a tune out of him.

Downing..
      Same, does he fit the type of winger Rodgers likes? Quick, technically sound? Will get a chance next season but has to improve and quick.

Shelvey..
      Potential is there, thus could be a key time under Rodgers.. Will either cone good and quick or be shipped on next summer.

In trouble I think are..

Kuyt..
      Not quick enough to play wide under Ted.. Will want assurances of first team chances or will want out which I don't see him getting.

Maxi..
      Technically great.. But quick enough?

Spearing..
      Think his time could be up.

Carra..
      Anyone who reads my posts knows the respect I have for the man but on paper he doesn't seem to suit Ted's way of playing. Will probably be around next season.. Depends if he sees a future as a coach for him.

Then there is the futures of Cole and Aquilani.. On paper they would be Rodgers types of players.. Will they get a chance?

How will some of the promising youngsters develop.. Suso, Sterling, Adjordan and Texieria all seemingly
      would fit in..

The way I see it right now with what we have Rodgers may look at this..

Reina
      Johnson Agger Skrtel Enrique

Lucas
                         Henderson

Gerrard

New*                        Suarez

Carroll

Subs:
      Doni
      Kelly
      Coates
      New man
      Downing
      New man
      New man

I think he may look to bring in a couple of wide men, a back up for Carroll and Lucas and possibly a replacement for Carra.

If he can get us playing how Swansea did and adds a real classy wide man we will be an improvent without really shaking things up to much.

First impressions.

Quick Reply