Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

The lack of transfer activity

Read 50591 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: The lack of transfer activity
      Reply #46: Jun 27, 2012 05:39:26 pm
      Neither is jumping to ill informed conclusions. A lack of transfer activity before the transfer window has opened is to be expected. We can't control what other clubs do, all we can do is trust ours.

Put it this way, if you are aware the team needs strengthening, how much more so do the owners?

No ill informed conclusion has been jumped too.

The fact the window isnt open yet has never stopped anyone getting business sorted.

Owners prob have a wage bill to look at first and looking to balance the books first.

I hope the owners just sign the cheques and let the football people sort the transfers out and i hope they back the manager fully. That is the owners job.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,550 posts | 1545 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #47: Jun 27, 2012 05:45:19 pm
      But you're basing your anxieties on our transfer dealings on the transfer dealings of other clubs.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #48: Jun 27, 2012 05:49:59 pm
      But you're basing your anxieties on our transfer dealings on the transfer dealings of other clubs.

And previous experience of Liverpool transfers.

And i think its fair to be worried about next season and transfers when you see your rivals strengthening their squads.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #49: Jun 27, 2012 05:53:12 pm

The fact the window isnt open yet has never stopped anyone getting business sorted.

Owners prob have a wage bill to look at first and looking to balance the books first.

I hope the owners just sign the cheques and let the football people sort the transfers out and i hope they back the manager fully. That is the owners job.

You use a Shanks quote 'owners just sign the cheques' whilst wanting to know all our business before the transfer window has even opened.

Try and keep it at least consistently the Liverpool Way eh mate?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #50: Jun 27, 2012 05:55:03 pm
      And previous experience of Liverpool transfers.

And i think its fair to be worried about next season and transfers when you see your rivals strengthening their squads.

How did rushing in last summer window and signing everything is sight work out for us? I seem to recall overspending and what seemed to be panic buying to me, how'd that work out for us?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #51: Jun 27, 2012 05:59:32 pm
      You use a Shanks quote 'owners just sign the cheques' whilst wanting to know all our business before the transfer window has even opened.

Try and keep it at least consistently the Liverpool Way eh mate?

The Liverpool Way died long time ago im afraid.

I never stated i wanted to know all our business did i ?

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #52: Jun 27, 2012 06:01:36 pm
      How did rushing in last summer window and signing everything is sight work out for us? I seem to recall overspending and what seemed to be panic buying to me, how'd that work out for us?

You will remember who are first two attempts on signing players were last summer - Phil Jones and Ashley Young and we lost both to the Mancs.

I havent said anything about rushing in to sign players nor have i said anything about overspending.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #53: Jun 27, 2012 06:04:29 pm
      I never stated i wanted to know all our business did i ?

If you're worried about the lack of transfer action it sort of infers that you want to know more doesn't it?

I think people are entitled to be a bit worried about the lack of transfer action within the club....

Or are you happy with the lack of activity?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #54: Jun 27, 2012 06:07:35 pm
      If you're worried about the lack of transfer action it sort of infers that you want to know more doesn't it?

Or are you happy with the lack of activity?

I dont want to know more i want us to get targets sorted early and involved in the club early - something we havent managed for a fair number of times.

I want us to stop fecking around in the market overall - our record in the transfer market has been awful bar the odd few cracking signings

When pre season training starts it would be nice for once to see new guys ready to go.

LFCexiled
      Reply #55: Jun 27, 2012 06:23:23 pm
      I dont want to know more i want us to get targets sorted early and involved in the club early - something we havent managed for a fair number of times.

I want us to stop fecking around in the market overall - our record in the transfer market has been awful bar the odd few cracking signings

When pre season training starts it would be nice for once to see new guys ready to go.

I think most of us would like that scenario but we've got a manager who hasn't even been in post for a month yet, hasn't even seen his players to see how they gel and who of them can go or stay. All he's got to work on at the moment is speculation until he gets the lads in, I would personally rather he identified his potential targets and waited to see who he wants to stay before doubling/trebling up on positions.

What's needed this transfer window is patience, the January window will be different and next summers a bit more fervent but to rush this one is counter productive and could just end up with people bitching about bad signings again. Let the men in position do their job in their own, very experienced time.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #56: Jun 27, 2012 06:29:52 pm
      I hope he has thought about all that already and isn't waiting until they come back and I hope his scouts are already identifying targets as we speak and clubs are talking to clubs about availability etc.

Rodgers I expect knows who he wants and who he wants gone . I expect the owners would like the wage bill cut down a bit as well and players like Aquilani off that wage bill ( plus other unwanted high earners)

Sigurdsson is a player I think the manager wants - I think he is one of his main targets and I think he should have all been sorted pretty quickly yet it's looking like for various reasons we are going to lose out to Spurs to him - that IMO isn't the best message to send out to other players who might want to come to us.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #57: Jun 27, 2012 06:42:06 pm

- that IMO isn't the best message to send out to other players who might want to come to us.

And potentially paying a player over the odds on wages is such a good message to send out?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #58: Jun 27, 2012 06:46:28 pm
      And potentially paying a player over the odds on wages is such a good message to send out?

Depends on how much we offered in the first place.

Remember when we initally offered just 13 mil for Suarez ?! That was laughed away.

We could have tried to get him on cheap wages. Spurs have a wage cap of 70 grand so unless they are paying him the same as Bale etc then I suspect we have gone low.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #59: Jun 27, 2012 06:49:32 pm
      Depends on how much we offered in the first place.

Remember when we initally offered just 13 mil for Suarez ?! That was laughed away.

We could have tried to get him on cheap wages. Spurs have a wage cap of 70 grand so unless they are paying him the same as Bale etc then I suspect we have gone low.

And if we went in with £23m, you don't think they'd  not have asked for more?

Spurs wage cap is no longer in place, not if teh rumours are true.

Better going low than high.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #60: Jun 27, 2012 06:55:20 pm
      Yes but our negotiating skills aren't known to be the greatest.

Yes go low but not too low to leave yourself open to be hi jacked
      LFCexiled
      Reply #61: Jun 27, 2012 07:01:31 pm

Please enlighten me George as I must've missed the report, what exactly is our recent reputation for negotiating? You are just limiting that opinion to our current owners right?

To add, they didn't go low with Carroll, Downing or Henderson and as far as we know sig could be an LFC player next week, are you getting your info from newspapers?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #62: Jun 27, 2012 07:07:09 pm
      Please enlighten me George as I must've missed the report, what exactly is our recent reputation for negotiating? You are just limiting that opinion to our current owners right?

Go back and see how many players we have missed out on - Alves,Simao from previous years plus players like Jones and Young

Then we bend over and let clubs rob us blind of money then players

Go and look at our transfer record since the start of the prem - its shocking

Late 70s to late 80's we were outstanding in the market then souness came along - for the amount of money we have spent since the start of the prem its criminal the lack of league success.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #63: Jun 27, 2012 07:20:50 pm
      Go back and see how many players we have missed out on - Alves,Simao from previous years plus players like Jones and Young

Late 70s to late 80's we were outstanding in the market then souness came along - for the amount of money we have spent since the start of the prem its criminal the lack of league success.

So you are going back to the beginning of the premier league?

Unfortunately you have to reset your judgemental clock back to the beginning of the current regime. You can't judge FSG on h&g's actions, let alone parrys. Like I said before George, wait until the end of the transfer window to judge their actions but realistically we won't be able to gauge FSG, BR et al until next season to see how effective they can build a potentially title winning team.

If you're expecting it this window you're going to burn your head out, probably mine too.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #64: Jun 27, 2012 07:22:39 pm

When all you do it win, people will fight to get in to door; makes things a lot easier.

Looking back 20-30 years and how it "used" to be has no relative bearing on today's conversation, its merely reminiscing on days gone by.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #65: Jun 27, 2012 07:28:32 pm
      So you are going back to the beginning of the premier league?

Unfortunately you have to reset your judgemental clock back to the beginning of the current regime. You can't judge FSG on h&g's actions, let alone parrys. Like I said before George, wait until the end of the transfer window to judge their actions but realistically we won't be able to gauge FSG, BR et al until next season to see how effective they can build a potentially title winning team.

If you're expecting it this window you're going to burn your head out, probably mine too.

Ok shall we look at the transfer that have arrived since FSG arrived ?

Carroll - 35 mil - 35 mil !!

Dowing 18 mil

Henderson - 16 mil

Adam - 8 mil

Never said anything about building for a title shout - we are light years away from that and will be for a long time.

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #66: Jun 27, 2012 07:30:25 pm
      When all you do it win, people will fight to get in to door; makes things a lot easier.

Looking back 20-30 years and how it "used" to be has no relative bearing on today's conversation, its merely reminiscing on days gone by.

Plenty picked other clubs over us -because we didnt break the bank with wages.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #67: Jun 27, 2012 07:34:36 pm

Dowing 18 mil

Henderson - 16 mil

Adam - 8 mil

Owners sign the checks, not make the deals. They went out and got what the DoF and Kenny wanted (ie..they monetarily supported the manager/director).

If we are complaining about the price that was paid for these players then the bitching should be directed at the people that wanted them in the first place, not the people who paid for them.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #68: Jun 27, 2012 07:35:25 pm

Dowing 18 mil

Henderson - 16 mil

Adam - 8 mil

Never said anything about building for a title shout - we are light years away from that and will be for a long time.

You're just contradicting yourself george. I get the feeling that you're just an unhappy fan who won't be happy whatever FSG do, possibly happy to be unhappy as well.

I'm off to watch Spain v Portugal anyhoo, laters. ;)

Quick Reply