Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Tactics geeks of the world unite...

Read 154451 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,617 posts | 752 
      Re: Tactics geeks of the world unite...
      Reply #575: Sep 02, 2015 01:18:32 pm
      ppl tend to want to go back to 442 when a team is struggling but we will get so exposed from other teams especially without a real DM. Markovic is out on loan and Morenos propensity to bomb forward and not defend wont change. The 2nd formation is better imo, but lacks width

i feel like this is the best thing we can do with our current squad

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,579 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #576: Sep 02, 2015 02:22:57 pm
      ppl tend to want to go back to 442 when a team is struggling but we will get so exposed from other teams especially without a real DM. Markovic is out on loan and Morenos propensity to bomb forward and not defend wont change. The 2nd formation is better imo, but lacks width

i feel like this is the best thing we can do with our current squad

when all fit, I assume?

Its hard to fit Firmino in there, but I think once he settles down he will be one of 1st names on team sheet.

When all fit and I was picking the team, Id be going with this.

-------------- Mings ----------------
      - Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Flanno -
      ----- Hendo - Milner - Firmino ---
      ----------- Coutinho --------------
      ------- Studger - Big Ben --------
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,617 posts | 752 
      Reply #577: Sep 02, 2015 02:53:56 pm
      is flanno ever coming back?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4413 
      Reply #578: Sep 02, 2015 02:58:54 pm

No chance before Christmas was the last I heard.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,579 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #579: Sep 02, 2015 03:03:51 pm
      Yea he will be back for xmas, mibees b4 that, he has been in the Gym, the bold Enrique posted evisdence on his instagram b4re he deactivated it. ;D.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,617 posts | 752 
      Reply #580: Sep 02, 2015 09:59:46 pm
      ;D he deactivated instagram?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4413 
      Reply #581: Sep 04, 2015 09:14:28 am
      Coutinho is our best player and needs to be moved more centrally rather than waste his talents out wide. We need to abondon the ridiculous idea of having the play built around Benteke. We dont have any real wingers, in fact we have a CB playing LB who doesnt have a left foot.

Its hoof ball which even LvG would be ashamed about.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #582: Sep 04, 2015 11:45:45 am
      Coutinho is our best player and needs to be moved more centrally rather than waste his talents out wide.

A drum I've been banging for a long time now mate.

Just thinking this morning, and I've no time to go into depth right now, who is the boss planning to drop out if and when Sturridge is fit?

If you agree, and I'm sure most in here would, that our best players include the following:

Benteke
      Firmino
      Coutinho
      Sturridge
      Can
      Hendo
      Milner

That's 7 players for the front 6 positions and I'm wondering if Brendan is as keen on getting Danny back any he side as we are?

Personally I'd solve it by dropping Can into the back four, for the majority of games, and really going for the throat in games. Will not happen though.

Clyne Can Sakho Moreno

Hendo

Milner Continho

Firmino

Sturridge Benteke
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #583: Oct 08, 2015 08:44:49 pm
      It will be very interesting to see how we line up against Spurs in our next game. Most people are expecting Klopp to implement his high energy, gegenpressing tactics, but the formation and personnel he utilizes to achieve this is open to debate. Personally, I think Cline and Moreno are perfect fits for the fullback roles in Klopp's system. I believe Sakho is the best fit at CB because he is an aggressive, front foot defender with good passing and decent pace so he can recover if beaten with a well timed through ball. Lucas and Hendo seem the best fits for the CM roles, but Jordan is still out injured. Milner seems a good option at RM due to his energy levels and pressing ability.  Coutinho has to start. So, that leaves only 2 positions for Benteke, Firmino, Lallana, and Studge to compete for. Personally, I'd like to see us line up like this:

Migs
      Clyne - Can - Sakho - Moreno
      Lucas - Allen
      Milner - Coutinho - Lallana
      Studge

Press them high, compress the field, and surge forward at every opportunity.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #584: Oct 08, 2015 08:57:10 pm
      It will be very interesting to see how we line up against Spurs in our next game. Most people are expecting Klopp to implement his high energy, gegenpressing tactics, but the formation and personnel he utilizes to achieve this is open to debate. Personally, I think Cline and Moreno are perfect fits for the fullback roles in Klopp's system. I believe Sakho is the best fit at CB because he is an aggressive, front foot defender with good passing and decent pace so he can recover if beaten with a well timed through ball. Lucas and Hendo seem the best fits for the CM roles, but Jordan is still out injured. Milner seems a good option at RM due to his energy levels and pressing ability.  Coutinho has to start. So, that leaves only 2 positions for Benteke, Firmino, Lallana, and Studge to compete for. Personally, I'd like to see us line up like this:

Migs
      Clyne - Can - Sakho - Moreno
      Lucas - Allen
      Milner - Coutinho - Lallana
      Studge

Press them high, compress the field, and surge forward at every opportunity.

Not sure what is going on with Firmino, heard very little come out but I assume he's still injured.

Agree with your point about Clyne/Moreno, I can see them being here for a long time under Klopp, although Moreno will have to improve his defending, but what he gives in terms of energy and pace is a recipe that Klopp will love. Clyne is a little less dynamic but more reliable and a good defender is needed back there which he most certainly is.

Migs of course will start but I think he's one of the first players who will leave the club, he's far too slow and allows the opposition to rest too often, this will infuriate Klopp imo.

CB I can see being Gomez and Sakho, I think Toure is too old and Skrtel is too regressive in his playstyle. Can is an interesting call but I just don't think he's good enough as a CB to warrant the choice. There's a chance he could go 3 at the back with Can as the central player (something Si has suggested in the past) and this honestly wouldn't surprise me at all, it gives that extra bit of defensive security and all 3 of them don't mind stepping forward as ball playing CBs.

Midfield, I think Lucas and Hendo will be the starting pair there when all fit, Milner or Hendo just don't do enough defensively to push Lucas out of the side, but in time there's every chance that Lucas' stamina levels and slowness may mean he also doesn't find a place in the title winning side ;D

Coutinho, I hope will get his head turned back under Klopp, there's be a lot of straight batting by his side and agent but I think we all read between the lines and know what Barca are up to there. Get him enjoying his footy and stop having to shoot on sight and there's a chance he becomes a lynch pin of the side. then Firmino / Studge / Ings in a top 3, which positions they primarily take up shouldn't be too much an issue, with Firmino favouring the left and Studge the right.

Migs
              Clyne     Gomez (Can) Sakho Moreno
                              Lucas      Hendo
                                  Coutinho
                        (Ings) Sturridge Firmino

The two in brackets are either/or of course depending which way he wants to go, I suspect with Hendo out Can will move into midfield and Ings will start against Spurs. All that does depend on whether Milner has a contract which states he should play a certain % of games, which I hope he doesn't.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #585: Oct 08, 2015 10:59:35 pm
      As much as I love Daniel Sturridge -- and I think he's top class striker when fit -- it should be very interesting to see him play under Klopp's tactics. He's never really been a guy to press and put in a huge defensive shift.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #586: Oct 08, 2015 11:05:07 pm
      As much as I love Daniel Sturridge -- and I think he's top class striker when fit -- it should be very interesting to see him play under Klopp's tactics. He's never really been a guy to press and put in a huge defensive shift.

Get your point mate but I have seen him close down, albeit not consistently, but enough to believe he does have enough heart to make a go of it with the right motivation. I think if anyone can get him pressing constantly then that will be Herr Klopp, but even still there are very few players who put the ball in the back of the net as regularly as Studge and no matter what system they all bend a little to accommodate the best players so when fit I see him starting.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #587: Oct 08, 2015 11:09:26 pm
      Get your point mate but I have seen him close down, albeit not consistently, but enough to believe he does have enough heart to make a go of it with the right motivation. I think if anyone can get him pressing constantly then that will be Herr Klopp, but even still there are very few players who put the ball in the back of the net as regularly as Studge and no matter what system they all bend a little to accommodate the best players so when fit I see him starting.

That's the hope. And to be fair, we haven't seen a 100% fit Sturridge since August 2014!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4413 
      Reply #588: Oct 09, 2015 04:12:45 pm
      Assuming Klopp goes with his favoured 4231 then we could see something like

GK

Clyne - CB - Sakho - Moreno

Lucas - Hendo

Milner/Lallana - Firmino - Coutinho

Benteke/Sturridge

I cant see how Skrtel fits into a defence playing a high line which is what will be required for counter pressing.
      We have a lot of games to play so no reason to pick one of our two main strikers for every game, just get them to give all for 90mins once a week.

Of course the team pressing effectively is not going to arrive overnight and will take time so I wouldnt be surprised with the odd 3-1 loss aganst a relegation fodder team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #589: Oct 09, 2015 04:30:44 pm
      Assuming Klopp goes with his favoured 4231 then we could see something like

GK

Clyne - CB - Sakho - Moreno

Lucas - Hendo

Milner/Lallana - Firmino - Coutinho

Benteke/Sturridge

I cant see how Skrtel fits into a defence playing a high line which is what will be required for counter pressing.
      We have a lot of games to play so no reason to pick one of our two main strikers for every game, just get them to give all for 90mins once a week.

Of course the team pressing effectively is not going to arrive overnight and will take time so I wouldnt be surprised with the odd 3-1 loss aganst a relegation fodder team.

I'm not convinced Lucas fits onto Klopp's high intensity football and expect maybe Allen to see more games in the shirt term.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4413 
      Reply #590: Oct 09, 2015 04:33:55 pm
      I'm not convinced Lucas fits onto Klopp's high intensity football and expect maybe Allen to see more games in the shirt term.

I think he can do a job there as his legs will be Hendo and he is fantastic reader of the play to aanticpiate cutting out the threat. Most of the running will be from the four in front.

But yeah long term we need a upgrade on Lucas.........Gundogan as a DLPM anyone?   ;D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #591: Oct 09, 2015 05:17:56 pm
      People have been scathing off Lucas from day one. the lad has played where the manager has told him to and in a formation of the managers chosing. He is a good footballer and he has a football brain I wouldn't write him off just yet. I would think Ings will feature but Milner hmmm not too sure
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #592: Oct 09, 2015 07:15:14 pm

If we're going to see a gradual move in that direction, as I would think is the case, then Lucas would fit pretty well into Klopps preferred 4231, with Henderson alongside him, and Milner on the right, or the bench.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #593: Oct 09, 2015 11:59:38 pm
      If Jürgen plays his favoured 4-2-3-1 this is how I see our current squad fit into it.

Mignolet

Clyne  Gomez  Sakho  Moreno

Can  Henderson

Ibe  Firmino  Coutinho

Sturridge

I'm intruiged to see if he will play Gomez straight away with Sakho but maybe because he's new to the league and the club he might opt for the more experienced player in Skrtel or even try Lovren as a RCB beside Sakho. For Spurs I'd guess Skrtel will get the nod along with Sakho. Ilori would have been ideal for the role but we will have to wait and see if we can recall him r even if Klopp wants to recall him but I'm sure he'll take a look at him in the summer at the very least.

The full backs speak for themselves and both Clyne and Moreno have that high energy game that seems to fit his system  and maybe he will be able to refine  Alberto's defensive game a little.

Hendo and Can are the best for the 2 in midfield but for Spurs I'm really not sure how he'll go, whether he'll opt for Milner in there, or if he wants a look at Lucas but I do think Emre will be one and for me I'd play Allen next weekend as I think him being that bit more mobile than Lucas is more what Jürgen will be looking for.

Firmino and Coutinho speak for themselves and although I've spoken many times about Phil's best positon being as an 8 in a midfield three Klopp's 4-2-3-1 doesn't allow for that so I see him playing on the left but with license to drift in and almost play as an extra midfielder and allow Moreno the left side to move up and down. Phil and Firmino will add extra players to the midfield when needed then assist breaking forward.

The other positon Klopp usually plays a quick player and that's where we might see Ibe getting a run in the side although he could also use Milner's versatility and crossing ability and play him there and for Spurs I think that mighht be the case. Lazar is the perfect player for this role in theory and again I think he is a player with a bit future under Klopp.

Sturridge is the obvious choice up front but I was listening to a podcast where a journalist who worked in Germany and was a translator at Dortmund press conferences I think he said, and he was of the opinion that Benteke is a player that Klopp may well be an admirer off with his abikity to hold up the ball and bring the '3' behind into play in a way Lewandowski did when he was at Dortmund. Again this guy was by no means saying Benteke was close to the Pole but in what he brings to the side as a whole.

Again for Spurs though I fully expect Danny to start and his quality and goalscoring alone should see him become a massive part of a Klopp side moving forward.
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2015 12:13:48 am by srslfc »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #594: Oct 10, 2015 12:12:40 am
      4 2 3 1 was his thing I believe at Dortmund. But is that we should expect here? He's a top manager and top managers know how to utilise what they have to play with. Would a 4 2 2 2 or 4 3 1 2 depending on how it's viewed be a goer?

Mig

Clyne ? ? Moreno

Hendo can
         Cou.      Firmino

Benteke Sturridge

Mig

Clyne ? ? Moreno

Hendo cou can

Firmino

Benteke Sturridge

Genuine width the issue if your full backs can't get forward.

Intrigued to see what 2 centre halfs he goes with on his debut, as a former centre half and his comment today about the stable defence
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #595: Oct 10, 2015 12:15:31 am
      I'm intruiged to see if he will play Gomez straight away with Sakho but maybe because he's new to the league and the club he might opt for the more experienced player in Skrtel or even try Lovren as a RCB beside Sakho. For Spurs I'd guess Skrtel will get the nod along with Sakho. Ilori would have been ideal for the role but we will have to wait and see if we can recall him r even if Klopp wants to recall him but I'm sure he'll take a look at him in the summer at the very least.

Think Gomez may well get the nod mate, it will certainly put Skrtel's nose out of place, especially after the new contract. I don't think Gomez is the better defender at the moment but I do think his style is much more suited to what Jürgen will want to implement. He's never been one for a deep lying defence, they have to kill the space and move forward as a unit and in that Skrtel is the opposite of what he'll want.

The full backs speak for themselves and both Clyne and Moreno have that high energy game that seems to fit his system  and maybe he will be able to refine  Alberto's defensive game a little.

Agreed. Think Flanno would push Alberto for a place in away games but at home he'll go with Alberto all day long.

Hendo and Can are the best for the 2 in midfield but for Spurs I'm really not sure how he'll go, whether he'll opt for Milner in there, or if he wants a look at Lucas but I do think Emre will be one and for me I'd play Allen next weekend as I think him being that bit more mobile than Lucas is more what Jürgen will be looking for.

Milner is the one that I think might be in for the biggest shock. He's far too similar to Hendo ( and worse, as I know you agree Si). You can't afford two water carriers, neither are decisive enough in either attacking or defending to put that responsibility on them but they are absolute work horses. That's why I think Lucas may still get in the starting XI because he is by far the best defensive option we have.

Firmino and Coutinho speak for themselves and although I've spoken many times about Phil's best positon being as an 8 in a midfield three Klopp's 4-2-3-1 doesn;t allow for that so I see him playing on the left but with license to drif in and almost play as an extra midfielder and allow Moreno the left side to move up and down. Phil and Firmino will add extra players to the midfield when needed then assist breaking forward.

Agreed, think Coutinho will absolutely flourish as long as his head isn't completely turned by Barca. Klopp will remove the responsibility to shoot and encourage that creativity that I, and I'm sure everyone, loves about the bloke. When he joined his passing was so sweet, so precise with such perfect weight. I could honestly have Coutinho in the side never shooting ever again and be happy he brings that much to the team when doesn't try the ridiculous.

The other positon Klopp usually plays a quick player and that's where we might see Ibe getting a run in the side although he could also use Milner's versatility and crossing ability and play him there and for Spurs I think that mighht be the case. Lazar is the perfect player for this role in theory and again I think he is a player with a bit future under Klopp.

Lazar would be so good, Ibe I think has really struggled and I'm less convinced about him. I think Klopp may well put Milner in Ibe's position in your formation mate.

Sturridge is the obvious choice up front but I was listening to a podcast where a journalist who worked in Germany and was a translator at Dortmund press conferences I think he said, and he was of the opinion that Benteke is a player that Klopp may well be an admirer off with his abikity to hold up the ball and bring the '3' behind into play in a way Lewandowski did when he was at Dortmund. Again this guy was by no means saying Benteke was close to the Pole but in what he brings to the side as a whole.

Less convinced by Benteke, I think Sturridge will absolutely get the nod and when Firmino is back Benteke may well struggle even getting minutes.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #596: Oct 10, 2015 12:17:45 am
      4 2 3 1 was his thing I believe at Dortmund. But is that we should expect here? He's a top manager and top managers know how to utilise what they have to play with. Would a 4 2 2 2 or 4 3 1 2 depending on how it's viewed be a goer?

Mig

Clyne ? ? Moreno

Hendo can
         Cou.      Firmino

Benteke Sturridge

Mig

Clyne ? ? Moreno

Hendo cou can

Firmino

Benteke Sturridge

Genuine width the issue if your full backs can't get forward.

Intrigued to see what 2 centre halfs he goes with on his debut, as a former centre half and his comment today about the stable defence

Agree there is no guarantee he'll play the 4-2-3-1 mate so that in itself will be interesting to see next weekend.

On the CB I think it's Sakho plus one other and I'd love to see him give Gomez a run as frok what I've seen he is going to be a very good player and although I've been a fan of Skrtel over the years this season I think he has too many mistakes in him and still hasn't quite got that control in his game you'd expect from a player with his experience.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #597: Oct 10, 2015 12:21:52 am
      Lazar would be so good, Ibe I think has really struggled and I'm less convinced about him. I think Klopp may well put Milner in Ibe's position in your formation mate.

I'm not overly convinced by Ibe either mate and I was one who thought he may even do with a loan this season but his direct style, when we don't really have another in the side, might be something Jürgen will like and maybe light the fire under Jirdan again who did seem a little lost this season.

Agree that it could well be Milner and for Spurs I'd almost bet my house on him playing in one of the 3 behind Studge.

Quick Reply