Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?

Read 9911 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?
      May 02, 2013 04:11:10 pm
      Looks like BT have won the rights to show 38 premier league games next season.

BSkyB is facing a rising threat from BT in the television market, ahead of this summer's launch of the rival company's sports channel, which has won the right to screen 38 Premier League games a season.

More Here

Wonder how much more they can squeeze out of the average supporter's pocket.

Has to end somewhere - this is getting stupid
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Re: Sky, now ESPN, and now BT?
      Reply #1: May 02, 2013 04:13:13 pm
      Agreed my friend , especially these days with everyone skint
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: May 02, 2013 04:58:26 pm
      More competition for viewers might lead to lower prices, won't affect me anyway, I only use live streams ; -)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: May 02, 2013 05:11:42 pm
      More competition for viewers might lead to lower prices, won't affect me anyway, I only use live streams ; -)

That's what I was thinking.

Isn't having more options a good thing? Certainly better than a monopoly in which Sky (or whoever holds it) can practically charge as much as they want for it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: May 02, 2013 05:19:21 pm
      I'm afraid we can't moan about prices as it's driven by consumer demand. While some would argue it's as important as gas or electric to them it truthfully isn't. So while it isn't an essential for life we do have a choice and therefore the person to blame for the prices would be those willing to pay for it. If you're one of them, then I'm afraid you're part of the problem.

There is the point that some will be priced out of their favourite hobby/lifestyle however you choose to phrase it and that's a fact, but then you're a victim of society being richer and able to afford prices you can't and you'll have to cut your cloth accordingly.

So while I'm all for the argument that there's a problem in society where the poor have less choices and lower quality of life than they should be entitled to and the rich control far too much for their actual difference in contribution I don't believe we can blame a company for charging prices people are willing to pay.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #5: May 02, 2013 05:40:22 pm
      You'd think so, but seeing as ESPN are now charging £13.00 a month, it doesn't look like that's the reality
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #6: May 02, 2013 05:43:21 pm
      I'm afraid we can't moan about prices as it's driven by consumer demand. While some would argue it's as important as gas or electric to them it truthfully isn't. So while it isn't an essential for life we do have a choice and therefore the person to blame for the prices would be those willing to pay for it. If you're one of them, then I'm afraid you're part of the problem.

There is the point that some will be priced out of their favourite hobby/lifestyle however you choose to phrase it and that's a fact, but then you're a victim of society being richer and able to afford prices you can't and you'll have to cut your cloth accordingly.

So while I'm all for the argument that there's a problem in society where the poor have less choices and lower quality of life than they should be entitled to and the rich control far too much for their actual difference in contribution I don't believe we can blame a company for charging prices people are willing to pay.
      There was a time football was virtually free on the BBC and ITV

So it's nothing to do with supply and demand, Sky just muscled in and started charging for it. Knowing the sport was popular from the off set.

First ever monthly subscription I paid to Sky, was £5.99 a month

The rest is history - and today they announced £994m profit for 9 months - that's also got nothing to do with supply and demand, that's just plain greed
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #7: May 02, 2013 05:44:43 pm
      Anyone heard of CCcam?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: May 02, 2013 05:48:14 pm
      There was a time football was virtually free on the BBC and ITV

So it's nothing to do with supply and demand, Sky just muscled in and started charging for it. Knowing the sport was popular from the off set.

First ever monthly subscription I paid to Sky, was £5.99 a month

The rest is history - and today they announced £994m profit for 9 months - that's also got nothing to do with supply and demand, that's just plain greed

Your entire post is a contraction. You clearly demonstrate the supply and the demand.

To counter my argument you would have to say, Sky tried to charge for the games but nobody was willing so it reverted back to the BBC for 'free' (we pay licence for that by the way so there was always a charge).
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: May 02, 2013 05:52:33 pm
      What is it?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #10: May 02, 2013 05:54:59 pm
      Card sharing. Always something to think about if you don't want to pay the ludicrous sky prices. I know some pubs do it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #11: May 02, 2013 06:09:13 pm
      Your entire post is a contraction. You clearly demonstrate the supply and the demand.

To counter my argument you would have to say, Sky tried to charge for the games but nobody was willing so it reverted back to the BBC for 'free' (we pay licence for that by the way so there was always a charge).
      Fair enough

They are are bunch of greedy bas**rds
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: May 02, 2013 06:17:54 pm
      I'm In Europe.

Run FreeSat.

Watch the lads on First Row Sport   and before it was myp2p.eu.

Stick an HDMI from the lappie into the old Sony and   BOOM  the dirt is gone .

Thats my Ariel   Arial . Whats yours?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #13: May 02, 2013 06:20:45 pm
      More choice can only benefit the consumer, Sky have had almost a monopoly of sport broacasting and have been able to demand what they like pricewise.
      BT were responsible for the same practices in the telecommication, hi-tech industries but had to reduce prices to an extent when the competition bit in.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: May 02, 2013 06:26:56 pm
      Fair enough

They are are bunch of greedy bas**rds

That is absolutely true mate.
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #15: May 02, 2013 06:29:51 pm
      Card sharing. Always something to think about if you don't want to pay the ludicrous sky prices. I know some pubs do it.

Great until you get caught doing it. The random numbers in the top right has something to do with it. I read some where that sky use a unique number and can monitor who/where is watching and whether the card is registered to the venue game or film is being watched.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #16: May 02, 2013 06:34:24 pm
      Great until you get caught doing it. The random numbers in the top right has something to do with it. I read some where that sky use a unique number and can monitor who/where is watching and whether the card is registered to the venue game or film is being watched.
      More than likely it would be the provider targeted, not the consumer.
      boohamdan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #17: May 02, 2013 06:57:10 pm
      I live in the Emirates & for the past three years we had only one option for following the EPL; Abu Dhabi sports channel.
      They charge about 77£ a year, showing every minute of every game in glorious HD with your choice of Arabic or English commentary (equally biased  ;D )
      How does that compare to Sky?
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #18: May 02, 2013 08:31:29 pm
      Dodgy sky box £200brick every channel:-)
      Or go to the pub,where that landlord has every channel imaginable.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #19: May 02, 2013 08:41:41 pm
      I'd fork out a good amount of money for a Premier League sports package that shows every game live.

But Sky have too much control for that to happen.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: May 02, 2013 08:44:03 pm
      Like dreambox?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #21: May 02, 2013 08:46:01 pm
      Yeah, that's one receiver you could use.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #22: May 02, 2013 08:58:19 pm

I now hate you, does that answer your question?  :P

Quick Reply