Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Aston Villa?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      3 (2.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      34 (30.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      1 (0.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      25 (22.3%)
      Raheem Sterling
      16 (14.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Luis Suarez
      5 (4.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      14 (12.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (8%)
      Joe Allen
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 23, 2014 07:26:56 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa: In game and Post match deconstruction

Read 39903 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa: In game and Post match deconstruction
      Reply #644: Jan 19, 2014 10:19:32 am
      Just been listening to Gerrard, and he said that we played with 3 at the back second half with wingbacks. Not really how I saw it, but I am not arguing with Stevie.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/315/9123274/-

I read that to but it did seem to me that Suarez was playing very much off of that left hand side during the 2nd half. Fingers crossed we go back to what has been working for our next match

xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #645: Jan 19, 2014 11:03:15 am
      Voted Henderson for Motm although Skrtel was a force yesterday.

Brendan has got a very hard job to do regarding Stevie. If he drops him and we lose the knee jerkers will be out in force saying he should of started yet based on what I've seen this season I think the time has come to look after him and we shouldn't expect him to play 90 minutes week in week out. I love Stevie to bits but we have to be realistic and realise that he isn't going to go on forever and quite a few times this season he has been downright frustrating to watch. I know he is playing in a new position but we have to be realistic and unfortunately his lack of pace is a major weakness in the heart of our midfield especially as we are so attacking that we leave ourselves vulnerable to counter attack.

We need energy in midfield and at the moment the only player providing it is Henderson. Not only is he providing his work rate but his link up play has been pretty decent as well. I think he is extremely under rated by many and while I agree with others that he isn't the finished article he is a player that makes his own luck by forcing opponents into mistakes that we have been able to capitalise on all season long. He is simply undroppable at the moment.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #646: Jan 19, 2014 11:26:47 am
      Again, we struggle against a big man. Benteke played F**k with us first half, we just couldn't handle him.

And Cissokho, F**k me, that lad is F***ing terrible. I can't believe there were people in the Transfer board bigging him up. He is not a professional footballer, he has stolen someone's identity.

Too angry to post on the match, would just be a reminder of how poor we were. We never got out of the blocks and Villa hit us early.
      Tadders

• 6,828 posts | 580 
      Reply #647: Jan 19, 2014 12:16:08 pm
      Remember when Graeme Souness got mugged at Southampton about a player that actually wasn't a pro footballer, George Weah's brother or something....I think we have the same with Cissokho.

All the endless planning, meetings, video analysis, coaching, training and talking, and BR cannot spot that this bloke is a F***ing joke. He looks like a clown galloping slowly down the wing.....

Shocking, and he had one of his better games for us!!!!!!!!!

we were absolutley terrible, whenever I look forward to a game and do not dread it, we play sh*te. Whenever I dread a game, Spurs away, Stoke away we turn it on.....
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #648: Jan 19, 2014 01:26:02 pm
      Don't pick on just Cissohko.  Everyone was poor 1st half bar sturridge and Henderson.

Mignolet imo is NOT a first choice keeper at present.  Far too many stupid mistakes so far. Hopefully BR will have the sense to bring pepe back and make SM fight for his place. I imagine stevie will hopefully never play that role again. Despite his capabilities he is an attacking through and through. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4414 
      Reply #649: Jan 19, 2014 01:28:28 pm
      The complete reversal of what we did to Spurs, Villa inflicted a high tempo pressing game and we simply could not get out of our own half for most of the match. Not helped by some pretty woeful passing when we were in possession.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #650: Jan 19, 2014 01:32:19 pm
      Only bright point is that we battled back to get a point, but after we equalised we took our foot off the gas, why? I was screaming at the TV for the last 10 mins for us to get some bloody urgency but we were just calmly passing the ball backwards and forwards, it was a bloody joke.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #651: Jan 19, 2014 01:34:02 pm
      Don't pick on just Cissohko.  Everyone was poor 1st half bar sturridge and Henderson.

Mignolet imo is NOT a first choice keeper at present.  Far too many stupid mistakes so far. Hopefully BR will have the sense to bring pepe back and make SM fight for his place. I imagine stevie will hopefully never play that role again. Despite his capabilities he is an attacking through and through. 

It's not Mig's fault, he has no confidence in his defence, who can blame him, and that leads to him becoming nervous and making some silly mistakes. H e is still a top top goalkeeper and as soon as we get Sakho, Enrique, Agger and Flanno back again I can see his form improving.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #652: Jan 19, 2014 01:34:10 pm
      Grim game that, felt like we were back in 2010.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #653: Jan 19, 2014 01:56:14 pm
      We were p#ss poor yesterday.

It is one game and - hopefully - gave JWH something to think about when we were looking to change the game and there was f#ck all there.

I'm not going to over-react - lessons for BR and several players need to be learned, now and put right before the derby.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #654: Jan 19, 2014 02:28:20 pm
      Stan Collymore is a fat c**t who know's F**k all about footy.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #655: Jan 19, 2014 03:00:09 pm
      Stan Collymore is a fat c**t who know's f**k all about footy.

CORRECTION;

Stan Collymore is a fat dogging woman beating tw*t, who knows F**k all about football, how the F**k he's allowed to spill his bile on a sh*t radio station is beyond me,

Hate the f***in pr**k

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #656: Jan 19, 2014 03:18:42 pm
      Stan Collymore is a fat c**t who know's f**k all about footy.

Still does not justify the racist abuse Stan has been getting on twitter from LFC fans.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #657: Jan 19, 2014 03:24:20 pm

Still does not justify the racist abuse Stan has been getting on twitter from LFC fans.

I don't have Twitter so never knew he had been receiving racial abuse. Disgusting but he still talks utter sh*te.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #658: Jan 19, 2014 03:24:21 pm
      It's not Mig's fault, he has no confidence in his defence, who can blame him, and that leads to him becoming nervous and making some silly mistakes. H e is still a top top goalkeeper and as soon as we get Sakho, Enrique, Agger and Flanno back again I can see his form improving.

He needs top competition for the shirt. That was the reason mig was bought originally. Competition for pepe...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #659: Jan 19, 2014 03:35:08 pm
      Don't agree. Couts has shown his worth, and has been fantastic for us, but lately he's been terrible. I didn't say he is full stop, just currently. And Allen, he's had has a fairly good game now and again, but to me he has never 'shown his worth' as you put it. That's my opinion; you think Couts has been average, I actually think he's been terrible and needs dropping.
      I never said he's not been outstanding for us - I agree he has been. But lately he's been a liability and cost us a few goals/points. Right now I think he's having a terrible time of it.
      Not at all
      I'll clarify then

Cissokho for 98% of this tenure here, has been terrible
      Coutinho for the last half a dozen games, has been terrible, not even close to average. His passing has gone to pot, his shooting has been woeful, and he's faded in games
      Mignolet, for the last half a dozen games, has been very poor.
      Toure, for the last dozen games, has been gradually getting worse, last night, he was terrible
      Moses, has just been plain terrible
      Allen, apart from three maybe four games, has been terrible, and he's not been anything special in those three or four games
      Aspas, aside from that one goal has been terrible when played

Context is important, and I said "That lot have either been terrible from the start, or have gone terrible". I've not said they are terrible - ship them out now

We can discuss semantics all day and perhaps I should have used the word 'very poor', or, 'extremely disappointing'. It's my opinion that at some point in their career to date, and for all of those players, whether right now in time, or the last 6 games/days, every one one of those players mentioned has been terrible for us at some point in their career.

Wouldnt agree with all ...Coutinho has showed his odd flash of brilliance..... but in general would agree.
      Some appaling buys really .....hidden by all the crowing about fab Sturridge and Coutinho.
      Anyone notice that Borini is banging a few in up in the North East?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #660: Jan 19, 2014 03:43:34 pm
      Stan Collymore is a fat c**t who know's F**k all about footy.

He is and anyone who takes his opinion seriously needs their head examined.

He's perfect for the morons who call into Talkshite.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #661: Jan 19, 2014 04:09:28 pm
      The first half was the most abject and disjointed I've seen us play this season.  We looked completely lost with Gerrard and Hendo as the CM pairing with 4 attacking players in front of them (Sterling, Coutinho, Studge, and Suarez).  As much as I like BR, he got the starting lineup wrong yesterday.  By going with a 4-4-2, it meant that both of Sterling and Coutinho had to spend more energy defending than they are used to, and that does not play to their strong suit.  When we took Sterling off and brought on Lucas we were able to get more control of the midfield, keep better possession, and got back to playing our game.  I hope BR has the sense to not experiment with that lineup again....

At the end of the day, it was a poor performance by us and yet we still came away with a point so it could have been worse.  Just need to dust off and do better next week. 
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #662: Jan 19, 2014 06:17:30 pm
      Dunno if I'm the only one to notice this but from where I was sitting it looked like we changed to a 3-4-1-2 after we went down with Johnson as the RCB which was why he wasn't overlapping for Sterling.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #663: Jan 19, 2014 07:43:29 pm
      5 out of 6 'experts' on MOTD and Sunday supplement said it was not a dive
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #664: Jan 19, 2014 08:07:49 pm
      We can not give away points like that I hope is a learning lesson , our  defence  is weak   the midfielders are also not doing enough to help the defence , our team is playing like there is no first line of defence   .There are four teams fighting for the fourth  spot  we will not make it  if we keep -on  playing like  that    . We need  a real good  def.... midfielder  ,the problem with our    team  is when we are under-pressure  we find it   very  hard  to neutralize the  opposition .Like in this game  from the  first minute  Villa   was on  our neck   and we didn't respond  at all  .
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #665: Jan 19, 2014 08:35:56 pm
      5 goals conceded against villa and stoke. its clear where are problems lie. oh and sissoko is a joke. sat in the upper centennay gave a very clear view of just hom sh*te he is you dont pick up on the telly
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #666: Jan 19, 2014 09:52:08 pm
      Mind you Gerrard was not much better when pushed forward, surely time has come to assess his contribution to our midfield especially as we were still being over run in the second half.

Wasn't Gerrard the MOTM for the match?

Quick Reply