Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Aston Villa?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      3 (2.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      34 (30.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      1 (0.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      25 (22.3%)
      Raheem Sterling
      16 (14.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Luis Suarez
      5 (4.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      14 (12.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (8%)
      Joe Allen
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 23, 2014 07:26:56 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa: In game and Post match deconstruction

Read 40276 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa: In game and Post match deconstruction
      Reply #598: Jan 18, 2014 10:00:57 pm
      ...The mistake was playing a dead formation, and 4-4-2 is dead for many reasons.

Somebody better tell Man City.

We can play 4-4-2, we just need to not come on the pitch thinking the 3 points are already in the bag.

We could also do with somebody coaching the players what to do when possession breaks down, cos they dont seem to have a clue about how to stop the opposition from playing. We are so open it is unbelievable, no wonder our defenders are shitting themselves.
      And that is not just this game - we have been leaking goals all season cos we give our opponents so much space to attack. As evryone has been saying all season, we have been largely getting away with it cos our strikers have been on fire, but you cant keep relying on that.

I said after the last game that we should bring back Steve Clark to tighten us up defensively ( and not just the back 4, we need to learn to defend as a unit). If its not Clarke, it surely needs to be somebody.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #599: Jan 18, 2014 10:06:06 pm
      I said after the last game that we should bring back Steve Clark to tighten us up defensively ( and not just the back 4, we need to learn to defend as a unit). If its not Clarke, it surely needs to be somebody.
      Agreed , our defence was excellent when Clarke was assistant manager , does Pasccoe have a clue I wonder ?

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #600: Jan 18, 2014 10:10:14 pm
      The way I see it:

We changed our formation to accommodate the return of Sturridge and it didn't pay off.

We started with a four man midfield, none of which are defense minded. Extremely risky against a team renowned for effective counter attacking.

I think everyone agrees that Suarez and Sturridge are starters, so Rodgers has a little problem on his hands now. Who is the man dropped? Today he went with Lucas and we saw quite clearly the negative impact it had on the team.

Also, the quicker Enrique returns the better. God do we miss him. 
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #601: Jan 18, 2014 10:21:01 pm
      Lets be honest, whoever is to blame this is a sh*te result, theres no excuse not to hammer Villa at home. Its points thrown away and (maybe jut I'm depressed post match) but these drop points are why we will now struggle to get top 4 or even top 6. Its so tight at the top 1 point instead of 3 is going to cost us very dear.

There's a way to go yet, but we have to start hammering the lesser sides, not just scraping wins and drawing, I mean genuinely hammering them, because today we took on an average side and looked no better than them. And thats not enough for a top 4 team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #602: Jan 18, 2014 10:39:39 pm
      One word sums today up; atrocious.

Why the hell Rodgers went for that formation is beyond me, no matter what team, if they play that then they will get ripped apart.

This has eclipsed our worst performance to date this season and this is on par with the 3-0 hammering by West Brom at the start of last season. Will start with the keeper. Mignolet when he first signed and in his first handful of games for us I was confident, he looked assured and he looked like a very good signing. Now I am feeling less and less confident with every game that approaches because he is letting in more and more stupid goals, I know the defence play a big part in keeping a clean sheet but even without the defence side of things, Mignolet should have more shut outs than he has so far. Instead he is just getting more and more likely to let in a sloppy goal. Today he made a decent save from Agbonlahor I think it was but even then it was straight at him so it wasn't exactly difficult. The 2nd goal they scored, well, I have no idea what the hell he was playing at.

Johnson, my god I wish he would just retire now. He has been poor in recent months but today was probably the worst I have ever seen him play. I would make comment on him going forward in the game but I can't remember him having any sort of positive impact in doing so. Defensively he was once again no where to be seen, constantly out of position and he was just as much to blame for that 2nd goal as Mignolet. What them two were playing at is something only they know. Shocking and he needs to be spending some time on the bench, might give him the kick up the arse he needs.

Skrtel, was our est defender and even he wasn't great, half the time he was stood around looking dopey and playing astray passes when on the ball. However, he made some good tackles and was fairly decent in the air. Spends a lot of time having to cover one of the full backs that has gone missing.

Toure, another poor performance and showed why City never played him. Got beaten by the slowest step over in the history of world football that led to the opening goal. His performance was summed up when in the second half he went to head it, baring in mind there was no other player near him but completely missed the ball and then ended up having to scamper to get to it before the Villa player.

Aly "I've taken someone deserving of being a pro's place" Cissokho. Arguably one of our worst signings, right up there with Paul Konchesky. He was woeful defensively, got beaten so easily every time, especially when Agbonlahor eased past him and put in the cross for the 2nd goal. Was yelling at the tele when that happened!! Offered nothing going forward and we all know Suarez' infamous bite but when Cissokho had that abysmal shot I thought he'd be lucky to get away with just a bite from Suarez, thought he going to go over and batter the c**t to an inch of his life. COuld tell Suarez really didn't want to have to try and link up with him again after that point in the game. Could have done a lot better for the first goal too, he should have been aware of the player beyond him.

Gerrard, first half was shocking beyond belief. He was given the run round with ease, couldn't tackle, couldn't pass and was giving the ball away so cheaply when trying to travel with it. Was just as much at fault for the first goal as Cissokho, in fact I think he was just stood there with his hands on his hips looking at the Villa player, almost telling him to just put the ball in the net. Second half he was better but he was still playing badly. Took his penalty well though, will give him credit for that.

Hendo, I thought he played relatively well. He drifted in and out of the game and while he didn't help out much defensively he was more use than Gerrard in doing so. Was denied by a good save and got the assist from a clever pass on to Sturridge. The formation held him back in a game he could have taken control of IMO.

Coutinho, shocking. Will leave it at that because just thinking of his pass towards the corner flag alone if pissing me off.

Sterling I though played well, more so in the second half. Wasn't any use when it came to tracking back but he made some good runs with the ball and put a few Villa players on their arse more than once, tried linking up with SAS but was thwarted when it came to the vital moment. Not great but certainly one of our better players.

Suarez, looked very frustrated and probably regretted signing that new contract up until our first goal. Was given no service from the midfield and had to drop a lot deeper than he should be to get the ball. Played a big part in the opening goal and linked up fairly well with Sturridge. Wasn't a lot more he could have done today because of how poor everyone around him was and when he was in a good position to score it was fu**ed up, most notably Cissokho!! Let's not forget though, he did nearly score another beautiful free kick, was no way Guzan would have kept that out but for it going just wide.

Sturridge, much like Suarez he was given no service but dropped back into the midfield and showed them how it's done when you have to win the ball back. Took his goal well and kept his impressive goal rate going.

Lucas, sparked a bit of life into the team for about 5 minutes but faded big time after that, gave the ball away cheaply was taken off again after 25mins, something no player likes after being put on at half time.

Allen replace Lucas (apparently) only remember seeing some guy in the number 24 shirt spending most of his time on his arse from getting shoved off the ball constantly though.

Really poor team performance as a whole and although Rodgers can't accept responsibility for the on pitch performances by the players he does have to accept full responsibility for the way he set the team up. Today he went back a few months to when he couldn't work out what formation to use, except today it looked a lot like a case of having a very strong attacking players in SAS, Coutinho along with Hendo and Sterling who are in blistering form but had no idea how to play them.

It's all well and good thinking we showed good character and all that bullshit from coming back from 2-0 down but fact of the matter is, we shouldn't have been 2-0 down against  a team like Villa in the first place. We were the home team today against a very average (at best) team but in truth we didn't deserve that point, even that was generous because for the majority of that game they ripped us apart and made us look like a very poor team that should be battling relegation. Not good enough.

The only good thing that could come from this result is that the owners were at the game so let's hope they realise the need to invest more in the team and get a move on in doing so or we wont get top 4 because we are now well behind Arsenal and City, Chelsea will pull ahead of us even more if they beat the Mancs, Everton will leap frog us if they win and Spurs will go level with us.

Very disgruntled Red here!!
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #603: Jan 18, 2014 10:49:29 pm

There's a way to go yet, but we have to start hammering the lesser sides, not just scraping wins and drawing, I mean genuinely hammering them, because today we took on an average side and looked no better than them. And thats not enough for a top 4 team.

Liverpool 4-1 West Brom
      Liverpool 4-0 Fulham
      Liverpool 5-1 Norwich
      Liverpool 4-1 West Ham
      Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool
      Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff
      Liverpool 3-1 Palace
      Liverpool 2-0 Hull
      Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool

Yeah we've really been struggling to put the lesser sides away.

Where have you been?

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #604: Jan 18, 2014 10:51:43 pm
      One word sums today up; atrocious.

Why the hell Rodgers went for that formation is beyond me, no matter what team, if they play that then they will get ripped apart.

This has eclipsed our worst performance to date this season and this is on par with the 3-0 hammering by West Brom at the start of last season. Will start with the keeper. Mignolet when he first signed and in his first handful of games for us I was confident, he looked assured and he looked like a very good signing. Now I am feeling less and less confident with every game that approaches because he is letting in more and more stupid goals, I know the defence play a big part in keeping a clean sheet but even without the defence side of things, Mignolet should have more shut outs than he has so far. Instead he is just getting more and more likely to let in a sloppy goal. Today he made a decent save from Agbonlahor I think it was but even then it was straight at him so it wasn't exactly difficult. The 2nd goal they scored, well, I have no idea what the hell he was playing at.

Johnson, my god I wish he would just retire now. He has been poor in recent months but today was probably the worst I have ever seen him play. I would make comment on him going forward in the game but I can't remember him having any sort of positive impact in doing so. Defensively he was once again no where to be seen, constantly out of position and he was just as much to blame for that 2nd goal as Mignolet. What them two were playing at is something only they know. Shocking and he needs to be spending some time on the bench, might give him the kick up the arse he needs.

Skrtel, was our est defender and even he wasn't great, half the time he was stood around looking dopey and playing astray passes when on the ball. However, he made some good tackles and was fairly decent in the air. Spends a lot of time having to cover one of the full backs that has gone missing.

Toure, another poor performance and showed why City never played him. Got beaten by the slowest step over in the history of world football that led to the opening goal. His performance was summed up when in the second half he went to head it, baring in mind there was no other player near him but completely missed the ball and then ended up having to scamper to get to it before the Villa player.

Aly "I've taken someone deserving of being a pro's place" Cissokho. Arguably one of our worst signings, right up there with Paul Konchesky. He was woeful defensively, got beaten so easily every time, especially when Agbonlahor eased past him and put in the cross for the 2nd goal. Was yelling at the tele when that happened!! Offered nothing going forward and we all know Suarez' infamous bite but when Cissokho had that abysmal shot I thought he'd be lucky to get away with just a bite from Suarez, thought he going to go over and batter the c**t to an inch of his life. COuld tell Suarez really didn't want to have to try and link up with him again after that point in the game. Could have done a lot better for the first goal too, he should have been aware of the player beyond him.

Gerrard, first half was shocking beyond belief. He was given the run round with ease, couldn't tackle, couldn't pass and was giving the ball away so cheaply when trying to travel with it. Was just as much at fault for the first goal as Cissokho, in fact I think he was just stood there with his hands on his hips looking at the Villa player, almost telling him to just put the ball in the net. Second half he was better but he was still playing badly. Took his penalty well though, will give him credit for that.

Hendo, I thought he played relatively well. He drifted in and out of the game and while he didn't help out much defensively he was more use than Gerrard in doing so. Was denied by a good save and got the assist from a clever pass on to Sturridge. The formation held him back in a game he could have taken control of IMO.

Coutinho, shocking. Will leave it at that because just thinking of his pass towards the corner flag alone if pissing me off.

Sterling I though played well, more so in the second half. Wasn't any use when it came to tracking back but he made some good runs with the ball and put a few Villa players on their arse more than once, tried linking up with SAS but was thwarted when it came to the vital moment. Not great but certainly one of our better players.

Suarez, looked very frustrated and probably regretted signing that new contract up until our first goal. Was given no service from the midfield and had to drop a lot deeper than he should be to get the ball. Played a big part in the opening goal and linked up fairly well with Sturridge. Wasn't a lot more he could have done today because of how poor everyone around him was and when he was in a good position to score it was fu**ed up, most notably Cissokho!! Let's not forget though, he did nearly score another beautiful free kick, was no way Guzan would have kept that out but for it going just wide.

Sturridge, much like Suarez he was given no service but dropped back into the midfield and showed them how it's done when you have to win the ball back. Took his goal well and kept his impressive goal rate going.

Lucas, sparked a bit of life into the team for about 5 minutes but faded big time after that, gave the ball away cheaply was taken off again after 25mins, something no player likes after being put on at half time.

Allen replace Lucas (apparently) only remember seeing some guy in the number 24 shirt spending most of his time on his arse from getting shoved off the ball constantly though.

Really poor team performance as a whole and although Rodgers can't accept responsibility for the on pitch performances by the players he does have to accept full responsibility for the way he set the team up. Today he went back a few months to when he couldn't work out what formation to use, except today it looked a lot like a case of having a very strong attacking players in SAS, Coutinho along with Hendo and Sterling who are in blistering form but had no idea how to play them.

It's all well and good thinking we showed good character and all that bullshit from coming back from 2-0 down but fact of the matter is, we shouldn't have been 2-0 down against  a team like Villa in the first place. We were the home team today against a very average (at best) team but in truth we didn't deserve that point, even that was generous because for the majority of that game they ripped us apart and made us look like a very poor team that should be battling relegation. Not good enough.

The only good thing that could come from this result is that the owners were at the game so let's hope they realise the need to invest more in the team and get a move on in doing so or we wont get top 4 because we are now well behind Arsenal and City, Chelsea will pull ahead of us even more if they beat the Mancs, Everton will leap frog us if they win and Spurs will go level with us.

Very disgruntled Red here!!

You realise Lucas went off injured?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #605: Jan 18, 2014 10:52:43 pm
      Liverpool 4-1 West Brom
      Liverpool 4-0 Fulham
      Liverpool 5-1 Norwich
      Liverpool 4-1 West Ham
      Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool
      Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff
      Liverpool 3-1 Palace
      Liverpool 2-0 Hull
      Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool

Yeah we've really been struggling to put the lesser sides away.

Where have you been?

Must be a post from seasons gone by.

Also only our first home defeat of the season and only the second time we haven't won at home if I'm correct.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #606: Jan 18, 2014 10:55:13 pm
      Somebody better tell Man City.

We can play 4-4-2, we just need to not come on the pitch thinking the 3 points are already in the bag.

Good point on City! They seem to manage it but I guess they have got that bit of extra quality all over the pitch. The likes of Navas, Silva, Toure, Kompany and Kolarov would walk into our team. They do concede a few goals mind

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #607: Jan 18, 2014 10:57:38 pm
      You realise Lucas went off injured?

Yeah, just still thought he was ineffectual and injured or not no player would like going off after having only been put on at half time.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #608: Jan 18, 2014 11:13:59 pm
      The only good thing about the first half was Linda Pizzuti sitting in the stands. She's bang tidy her mate, I want a bird like that. Can tell she's a sugar daddy though but ah well I'll just tell them that I play for Tranmere Rvers and earn 6k a week.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #609: Jan 18, 2014 11:27:11 pm
      i am frustrated beyond relief.  if we are to seriously challenge for a top four spot, this performance is unacceptable.  especially with the consistency being show by teams all around us, this draw is painful

we have tough games against top 6 teams on the horizon, because we dropped points here, it really puts pressure on us to do well against those games. think of hull city last year.  had we won that mare of a game, we could have still be holding onto 4th well.   but a possible everton win now will displace us.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #610: Jan 18, 2014 11:32:01 pm
      Just watched o MOTD and yeah first half we were abysmal, when the side was named I thought sh*t I hope that's not 4-4-2, as it turned out it proved to be a disaster in waiting,

I thought with Studgy back at home we could afford to play 3 at the back, not sure why Brendan thought playing with a weak midfield would give us the upper hand, clearly it didn't,

To be fair Villa could and should have been 3 up before we got our first, they totally outplayed us, until at last Brendan made the change, firstly by dropping Coutinho back and at half time when he replaced him with Lucss, moved Gerrard forward and played  3 at the back ,

With the extra man in midfield we at last started to dominate, despite all this I thought we were off the boil anyway,

Thought we could have nicked it but 'Desmond' 2-2, was a fair result,

I did listen on  'Talkshite' and I must say that that Kunt Collymore should be struck off , he blatantly called Suarez a cheat for what he described was a blatant dive for the pen, now that I've seen it for myself and heard the opinions on MOTD I'm f***in livid,

That dogging kunt kept on and on about it on air, f***in pr**k.

YNWA
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #611: Jan 18, 2014 11:32:56 pm
      Just watched o MOTD and yeah first half we were abysmal, when the side was named I thought sh*t I hope that's not 4-4-2, as it turned out it proved to be a disaster in waiting,

I thought with Studgy back at home we could afford to play 3 at the back, not sure why Brendan thought playing with a weak midfield would give us the upper hand, clearly it didn't,

To be fair Villa could and should have been 3 up before we got our first, they totally outplayed us, until at last Brendan made the change, firstly by dropping Coutinho back and at half time when he replaced him with Lucss, moved Gerrard forward and played  3 at the back ,

With the extra man in midfield we at last started to dominate, despite all this I thought we were off the boil anyway,

Thought we could have nicked it but 'Desmond' 2-2, was a fair result,

I did listen on  'Talkshite' and I must say that that Kunt Collymore should be struck off , he blatantly called Suarez a cheat for what he described was a blatant dive for the pen, now that I've seen it for myself and heard the opinions on MOTD I'm f***in livid,

That dogging kunt kept on and on about it on air, f***in pr**k.

YNWA

You'll never walk alone Billy.

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #612: Jan 18, 2014 11:33:29 pm
      The only good thing about the first half was Linda Pizzuti sitting in the stands. She's bang tidy her mate, I want a bird like that. Can tell she's a sugar daddy though but ah well I'll just tell them that I play for Tranmere Rvers and earn 6k a week.

Oh yeah keep dreaming buddy  :D

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #613: Jan 18, 2014 11:41:09 pm

Imagine playing for Tranmere Rovers though. Tranmere Rovers are like the Kappa of football teams.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #614: Jan 18, 2014 11:52:34 pm
      You'll never walk alone Billy.

YNWA

Cheers fella,

'Lang May yer lum reek'

YNWA

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #615: Jan 19, 2014 12:05:41 am
      Good point on City! They seem to manage it but I guess they have got that bit of extra quality all over the pitch. The likes of Navas, Silva, Toure, Kompany and Kolarov would walk into our team. They do concede a few goals mind

True, they have better players and that does kind of help!

But still it shows 4-4-2 is not a dead system. It depends how you play it.

I just dont know what to make of us this season, regardless of formation. We go from looking like we are really starting to click, to looking absolutely bloody awful.
      The one underlying constant though is that defensively we are shaky. Even when we are playing well. I think the time has come BR needs to sort it. And not just by endlessly buying centre backs. Something is wrong on the coaching side there.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #616: Jan 19, 2014 12:10:00 am
      Just been listening to Gerrard, and he said that we played with 3 at the back second half with wingbacks. Not really how I saw it, but I am not arguing with Stevie.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/315/9123274/-
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #617: Jan 19, 2014 12:16:06 am
      Just been listening to Gerrard, and he said that we played with 3 at the back second half with wingbacks. Not really how I saw it, but I am not arguing with Stevie.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/315/9123274/-

We switched to it before we scored the goal in the first half.

Johno was clearly playing as a CB and Sterling at RWB
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #618: Jan 19, 2014 12:49:11 am
      Probably explains our lack of control in midfield at any  point in the second half,
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #619: Jan 19, 2014 01:02:07 am
      Did anyone see the look Studge gave Toure in the second half when Toure just sent the ball up field to Studge and it came down with snow on it? He was like..."WTF was that man!?"

I actually thought Cissokho was our best attacking defender, right up until he wasn't. I mean, first half he was working hard, second half, oh my...oh my what was embarrassing

I'm also starting to get very nervous about WHOEVER it is has final say on our transfers:

Cissokho, Coutinho, Mignolet, Toure, Moses, Allen, Aspas

That lot have either been terrible from the start, or have gone terrible. If I were Henry, I'd start picking them myself. He couldn't do much worse
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #620: Jan 19, 2014 01:11:44 am
      Just watched the recording, wish I hadn't, that was horribly frustrating. I've got nothing nice to say so I won't say anything at all. We can't afford to lose games like this.

Quick Reply