Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)

Read 317929 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation
      Reply #1058: Apr 01, 2015 07:17:10 pm
      I have to say I think Raheem has rather shot himself in the foot here, especially with his Arsenal comments. So many on here were of the opinion that we should just pay him what he wants, I think many will change their minds after that.
      As Mad4lfc says he's either badly advised or a complete idiot. I'm inclined to go with both!
      To say what he said re Arsenal, right before we play them in a must win game is totally unforgivable.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1059: Apr 01, 2015 07:20:32 pm
      After reading the article from the Independent and also the bbc stuff, I too believe he wants out and will probably leave.
      The only way to keep him and other quality youngsters that we have is to finally buy and bring in top quality players in the right areas and commit to being a proper force again.
      If not, and we continue with the transfer policy that we have then it will be the same old situation at Anfield for many many years ahead.
      I can kind of see Raheem's point to be honest. Sad but true
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #1060: Apr 01, 2015 07:26:07 pm
      After reading the article from the Independent and also the bbc stuff, I too believe he wants out and will probably leave.
      The only way to keep him and other quality youngsters that we have is to finally buy and bring in top quality players in the right areas and commit to being a proper force again.
      If not, and we continue with the transfer policy that we have then it will be the same old situation at Anfield for many many years ahead.

The thing is...we could bring in top quality players that could push Raheem to the bench...is that what he wants?

I'd think right now he's got a dream gig for a kid his age. He's getting regular playing time at a huge club.

If he goes to City, Barca, Real, etc....he won't likely be getting regular time.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #1061: Apr 01, 2015 07:27:34 pm

So If we would of bought a world class player in Raheem position he wouldnt have developed, so where do you stop?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1062: Apr 01, 2015 07:27:34 pm

Well I hope everyone who has been advocating paying him whatever he wants has learnt a thing or two from that interview.

Seems as though the usual suspects won't be happy no matter how much money we stuff down the throats of some of these players.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1063: Apr 01, 2015 07:29:52 pm
      So If we would of bought a world class player in Raheem position he wouldnt have developed, so where do you stop?
      To be clear, I would play Raheem as part of the front 3 or 4.
      Bring in a proper rwb, dm, cb and another striker.
      I would play him not bench.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #1064: Apr 01, 2015 07:54:09 pm
      Meh...  Good luck to you then. I only hope we get the right player to replace him.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1065: Apr 01, 2015 07:59:45 pm
      Being advised like a tw*t isn't he? Go to the BBC and say this and that then you won't look greedy?

Not sanctioned by club either apparently.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1066: Apr 01, 2015 08:21:19 pm
      The fact he is only 20 makes one wonder what his rush is to get out of Anfield. He could develop here for a few years and then when he's better, push for a move to Madrid or Barcelona. The comment about Arsenal - a club happy with 4th every year - is comical from a lad talking about a desire to win things.

The problem we have though as a club, is that FSG can't seem to convince top targets that we are going to win trophies in the coming years, and they can't seem to convince star players like Torres, Suarez and Sterling to stay either. Once Coutinho is sought by elite clubs, he will be out the door too.

FSG definitely need to step up their game because it's looking like no one believes that they're going to achieve very much at Liverpool.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1067: Apr 01, 2015 08:33:41 pm
      I don't necessarily blame him for speaking with the press. There have been reports he won't sign even for 180k and a good few in here have lapped it up. Everyone so quick to stick it to the lad and no doubt the lack of patience and bias towards his performances (which has been evident for a while now) will increase further.

Rather than turning all my anger at the player, I'm a little concerned that our brightest young player seems to be looking at a future elsewhere rather than at my beloved LFC.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #1068: Apr 01, 2015 08:34:16 pm
      I think he's been advised horrendously however the fact that he's not the only player having issues with renewing his contract is pissing me off no end.
      The club need to get a god damn grip and offer what the players are worth and if the contract is rejected them fair enough.
      This nonsense has gone on far too long...and I don't just mean Sterling.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1069: Apr 01, 2015 08:37:32 pm
      he club need to get a god damn grip and offer what the players are worth

What is he worth?

100?

150?

180?

200?

From what I read 100k/week playing for a globally legendary club with pretty much guaranteed starting XI at 20 years old is a good gig, but seems like even 180k/week is not good enough.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,541 posts | 3472 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1070: Apr 01, 2015 08:40:12 pm

the thing is if he had signed last summer when we were challenging for the league would he now want out because were aren't challenging a year later
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1071: Apr 01, 2015 08:43:11 pm

It's quite conceivable he won't actually sign for £200,000 a week. He might honestly believe we're not ambitious as a club and can earn the same money elsewhere, along with a real chance of winning the biggest trophies.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1072: Apr 01, 2015 08:44:53 pm
      It's quite conceivable he won't actually sign for £200,000 a week. He might honestly believe we're not ambitious as a club and can earn the same money elsewhere, along with a real chance of winning the biggest trophies.

Whilst sitting on the bench.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1073: Apr 01, 2015 08:45:36 pm
      I think he's been advised horrendously however the fact that he's not the only player having issues with renewing his contract is pissing me off no end.
      The club need to get a god damn grip and offer what the players are worth and if the contract is rejected them fair enough.
      This nonsense has gone on far too long...and I don't just mean Sterling.

What other player is having 'issues'? Henderson declined the first offer (which is why it's called a 'first offer') and made it clear that he wants to stay with us and will sit down in the Summer and sort it out. That's not an issue, it's normal negotiation. As others have said, the worrying thing is that regardless of your personal feelings about Sterling's motivations, the club is facing the prospect of loosing another one of its main players this Summer and has to do some serious introspection between now and July. Come October we're five years in to FSG's ownership of the club and as far as on-field matters go we're probably further away from the title than we where under H&G which is probably the most damning indictment I could possibly think of.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1074: Apr 01, 2015 08:46:20 pm

Since when does 100k/week for a 20 year old show no ambition? Maybe we should have started at 200k/week.. that would be ambitious I am sure all the clubs in the world would be in awe of our dealings.
      Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #1075: Apr 01, 2015 08:50:52 pm

If he honestly believes that, then I think it's better he leaves. We certainly don't need such negativity in the dressing room.
      Brendan has given him opportunities he would not have got at other clubs. Yes, it may have been down to necessity, however he also gave him the chance to play with a truly World class player in Luis Suarez. Raheem is nowhere near that level yet.
      Will he get there, who knows, but his decisions in the coming months could be vital to his chances of achieving World Class status.

Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1076: Apr 01, 2015 08:51:26 pm
      Since when does 100k/week for a 20 year old show no ambition?

Ambition to win the biggest trophies on the field. The quality of players you sign. That's what top level players look at.

Offering Sterling £100k a week isn't done to show ambition; it's about keeping a valuable asset under contract.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #1077: Apr 01, 2015 09:02:19 pm
      The fact he is only 20 makes one wonder what his rush is to get out of Anfield. He could develop here for a few years and then when he's better, push for a move to Madrid or Barcelona. The comment about Arsenal - a club happy with 4th every year - is comical from a lad talking about a desire to win things.

The problem we have though as a club, is that FSG can't seem to convince top targets that we are going to win trophies in the coming years, and they can't seem to convince star players like Torres, Suarez and Sterling to stay either. Once Coutinho is sought by elite clubs, he will be out the door too.

FSG definitely need to step up their game because it's looking like no one believes that they're going to achieve very much at Liverpool.

Oh do give your head a wobble, what do you want FSG to do. Come on don't just throw silly comments about, if offering a 20 year old 100k a week a 20 year old who has been piss poor for most of the season what more can they do? Would you like the club to spunk 59 million on another flop to try and keep him like another club down the lancs have done!

Sometimes I do think people think this is a football manager game.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1078: Apr 01, 2015 09:04:23 pm
      Not sanctioned by club either apparently.

Just read this too.

This is a no win situation for us, he should get a warning or fine which will undoubtedly piss him. But would that matter? maybe his head is already thinking about Arsenal, Chelsea, Bayern, Real or whatever.

I have a sneaky feeling he wants to return home, so It'll be Arsenal or Chelsea.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #1079: Apr 01, 2015 09:09:09 pm
      Just got around to reading his interview in full.

Does he have rocks in his head?

What a dope.

The timing of this, the fact that it wasn't sanctioned by the club and his comments (taken in context) are pretty much indefensible.

smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #1080: Apr 01, 2015 09:11:11 pm
      I used to think highly of Sterling. He has come off as a grade A prat in that extended interview. I'd have him playing in the reserves for the rest of the season. Fuming.

Quick Reply