Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Is Colin Pascoe a good enough assistant or do we need a new one.

Read 32474 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Is Colin Pascoe a good enough assistant or do we need a new one.
      Reply #161: Apr 15, 2015 12:12:02 am

Personally I see nothing wrong with that!

Last thing we need is a manger who has no confidence in himself or what he is doing.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #162: Apr 15, 2015 12:20:19 am
      Last thing we need is a manger who has no confidence in himself or what he is doing.

The manager and his assistant needs to display that confidence over a full season,it is no good having a good run in the middle of the season if we play sh*te in the first part of the season. If we do not get it right next season the excuses will run out.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #163: Apr 15, 2015 12:30:04 am
      The manager and his assistant needs to display that confidence over a full season,it is no good having a good run in the middle of the season if we play sh*te in the first part of the season. If we do not get it right next season the excuses will run out.

I did not see where Brendan lost confidence in himself or what he was doing during the first part of the season.

I saw 1/2 dozen brand new players together for the first time, I saw one of the best players on the planet leave and not be replaced, I saw the 2nd best scorer in the PL last season be out the first 3 months.

But I never saw Brendan or the staff not show confidence; though he urged all of us to be patient.

Anybody that thought we were going to come out of the gates swinging with damn near a brand new squad and having Daniel hurt was kidding themselves.

Manager is told to buy young and exciting talent...well with that you get inconsistency and that is exactly what we have seen this season.

Daniel gets hurt and we have Balotelli, Borini and Lambert...we could have had much better but we all know it was not allowed.

Brendan can't go out and kick the ball into the net...Colin might be able to but the gaffer can only do so much with what he is given to work with.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,241 posts | 1226 
      Reply #164: Apr 15, 2015 12:35:51 am
      So we are seriously (no, SERIOUSLY) supposed to believe that from the odd occasion on which the TV cameras are focused on the dugout and the director switches over to them at a moment when Brendan is having a word with Pascoe, and there is a nod or a look exchanged, the flip  of a chart, and perhaps an anxious fart as well (who the f*ck knows!), that it's possible not only to get a general feel for the guy's character, but to go the whole f*cking distance and conclude that he's a ''yes'' man who isn't cut out for the job?

Presumably the absolute whoppers who are making this argument think we should hire the next assistant on the same basis? What better way to make a decision about who should be the next assistant than to have our scouts put together a montage of all the 3 second clips of all the assistant managers we can find and then take our pick from the ones who appear more voluble, animated and so on. Sod the fact that they might not have a Scooby about the game, or be capable of forming a strong working relationship with the manager; let's just look at their demeanour and rule out those who have ''postie looks''. As for an interview, you must be f*cking kidding.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #165: Apr 15, 2015 12:44:03 am
      I did not see where Brendan lost confidence in himself or what he was doing during the first part of the season.

I saw 1/2 dozen brand new players together for the first time, I saw one of the best players on the planet leave and not be replaced, I saw the 2nd best scorer in the PL last season be out the first 3 months.

But I never saw Brendan or the staff not show confidence.

Anybody that thought we were going to come out of the gates swinging with damn near a brand new squad and having Daniel hurt was kidding themselves

The manager and his assistant are ultimately responsible for the teams he puts out, if we win they take the kudos and if we lose he takes  the criticism. Where does the blame lie for having to field a brand new squad. I could refer to other Liverpool managers and what they achieved but that would be unfair on you as you have no first hand knowledge of other Liverpool managers You see that is the big difference between you and me I have seen first hand good and bad Liverpool managers and my observations are factual. I suppose when Fenway pull out of L.F.C you will immediately follow them whereas I will still support the best club in the world.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2015 03:40:23 am by Billy1 »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #166: Apr 15, 2015 12:53:30 am
      Where does the blame lie for having to field a brand new squad.

The Owners

I could refer to other Liverpool managers and what they achieved but that would be unfair on you as you have no first hand knowledge of other Liverpool's

Your are true royalty Billy and I a mere peasant...well played Sir.

You see that is the big difference between you and me I have seen first hand good and bad Liverpool managers and my observations are factual.

And me supporting our manager was wrong?

I suppose when Fenway pull out of L.F.C you will immediately follow them whereas I will still support the best club in the world.

I am backing the manager and putting some of the onus for the issues we have had on FSG in the post for not replacing Suarez, and for having an agenda for buying young talent instead of proper replacements.

Out of that post you make the observation that backing the manager is in affect being an FSG supporter and not a supporter of the club?

WTF  ???
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2015 01:05:45 am by AZPatriot »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #167: Apr 15, 2015 12:55:43 am
      It would of been better for people to simply admit that any evidence that there might exist is insufficient for us to evaluate an assistant manager's abilities (even if you think 30 seconds per game and an interview once in a while qualify as evidence, which I don't) and leave the discussion at that. Because seriously, it's basic common sense and I refuse to believe that even those most invested in saying otherwise don't know that. But it seems like the need to "win" the argument has taken this debate way beyond the ridiculous and nonsensical. It is embarrassing now, if somewhat funny :D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #168: Apr 15, 2015 01:17:39 am
      It would of been better for people to simply admit that any evidence that there might exist is insufficient for us to evaluate an assistant manager's abilities (even if you think 30 seconds per game and an interview once in a while qualify as evidence, which I don't) and leave the discussion at that. Because seriously, it's basic common sense and I refuse to believe that even those most invested in saying otherwise don't know that. But it seems like the need to "win" the argument has taken this debate way beyond the ridiculous and nonsensical. It is embarrassing now, if somewhat funny :D

I think he's a yes man, based on what I've seen and I've stated those reasons, the fact people seem overly obsessed with my one single opinion of our assistant manager has me amused tbh.

What I would say is though you make judgements on players based on playing a computer game, now that's actually hilarious, I'm surprised you couldn't tell us how good Colin is based on his stats and traits on there no? :lmao:

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #169: Apr 15, 2015 03:36:10 am

So you do not know if Colin Pascoe is a good or bad second in command,yet you criticise posters who do have an opinion.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,224 posts | 4418 
      Reply #170: Apr 15, 2015 07:45:16 am
      I don't know what's in the air at the moment , there isn't a thread at the moment where people are not bickering or arguing over the most trivial of matters.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #171: Apr 15, 2015 08:26:05 am
      I don't know what's in the air at the moment , there isn't a thread at the moment where people are not bickering or arguing over the most trivial of matters.

Aye mate, this a funny old thread alright! I've read most of the posted but I'm struggling to get into it. Of all the threads for people to fall out in, come on lads save it for another thread!
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #172: Apr 15, 2015 10:19:25 am
      So you do not know if Colin Pascoe is a good or bad second in command,yet you criticise posters who do have an opinion.

Well I don't know how many atoms there are in the furthest star from Earth. I would criticize anyone who said there were too many, unless they could demonstrate their psychic abilities.

Edit for clarification: it is silly to hold opinions on things we cannot know in the slightest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4959 
      Reply #173: Apr 15, 2015 11:31:49 am
      The manager and his assistant are ultimately responsible for the teams he puts out, if we win they take the kudos and if we lose he takes  the criticism. Where does the blame lie for having to field a brand new squad. I could refer to other Liverpool managers and what they achieved but that would be unfair on you as you have no first hand knowledge of other Liverpool managers You see that is the big difference between you and me I have seen first hand good and bad Liverpool managers and my observations are factual. I suppose when Fenway pull out of L.F.C you will immediately follow them whereas I will still support the best club in the world.

Sounds like you think AZ isn't allowed an opinion just because he's supported Liverpool for less time than you.

Would you think the same, and say it, if he was a local lad just getting into the game and starting to follow the club?

Out of order Bill.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #174: Apr 15, 2015 01:11:53 pm

Presumably we need more informative posts like these?

Let's leave it as it is I have no more desire to debate with a right wing Fascist who believes the poor should be bled dry to satisfy the never endless greed of the few.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #175: Apr 15, 2015 01:53:10 pm
      I think he's a yes man, based on what I've seen and I've stated those reasons, the fact people seem overly obsessed with my one single opinion of our assistant manager has me amused tbh.

What I would say is though you make judgements on players based on playing a computer game, now that's actually hilarious, I'm surprised you couldn't tell us how good Colin is based on his stats and traits on there no? :lmao:

Sooo... you're making this personal Luke? That's a sign of desperation right there, you're embarrassing yourself in this thread, the obsession seems to be on your part instead of just using some common sense.
      Please tell me again when have I made any judgement of players based on a computer game? I usually post this kind of information as a curiosity but I've never advocated signings or said a player is actually rubbish or otherwise based on a game and I think you know that. I also think you know you're clutching at straws in this whole thing about Pascoe so do us a favour and just drop it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #176: Apr 15, 2015 01:53:27 pm

I do have an opinion: that it is not possible for fans to actually judge the quality of an assistant manager and that any opinions based on very slim evidence are pretty much worthless to make definitive judgements such as: "he's a guy that is batting way above his station, he's landed a job at the top table by luck more than substance". Which is just common sense if you're not so invested in saying otherwise.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #177: Apr 15, 2015 02:13:05 pm
      Sooo... you're making this personal Luke? That's a sign of desperation right there, you're embarrassing yourself in this thread, the obsession seems to be on your part instead of just using some common sense.
      Please tell me again when have I made any judgement of players based on a computer game? I usually post this kind of information as a curiosity but I've never advocated signings or said a player is actually rubbish or otherwise based on a game and I think you know that. I also think you know you're clutching at straws in this whole thing about Pascoe so do us a favour and just drop it.

Clutching at straws by re-iterating the same point, what total rubbish.
      Making it personal, you differentiate between embarrassing and hilarious, utter rubbish again.

Just as you are entitled to make judgements based on Football Manager, I can make them with my own eyes. You believe that's not realistically possible fair enough, but as I've said I trust my own instincts and will continue to do so.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3739 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #178: Apr 15, 2015 02:19:42 pm
      I believe he is correct for the job because I think that Brendan has his philosophy and knows what he wants plus Colin is like his brother.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #179: Apr 15, 2015 04:00:47 pm
      well this went from 0-100 real quick!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,224 posts | 4418 
      Reply #180: Apr 15, 2015 05:33:55 pm
      well this went from 0-100 real quick!!

Is just an indirect way to have a go at Rodgers.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,241 posts | 1226 
      Reply #181: Apr 15, 2015 06:13:29 pm
      I actually think the resident physiognomists aren't just being stupid/silly by continuing with the nonsense but are being very arrogant and disrespectful in thinking they can judge whether a person is up to the job simply based on the impression they have of that person on the very rare occasions on which they appear on TV. They are saying that THEY know Pascoe isn't up to it based on a nod and the flip of a chart but that the rest of us lack the privilege of insight that they possess.

It demonstrates a huge amount of ignorance as well; ignorance of what it takes to be an assistant manager, ignorance of the different ways in which people interact and form a working relationship, and ignorance of the propensity for people to arrive at very different interpretations of human behaviour. It's one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen made (and made in all seriousness) on this forum and I do suspect the same argument wouldn't be being made if it related to certain former managers' assistants. Any nods and flips of charts would then be interpreted as signs of a healthy respect existing between two people.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #182: Apr 15, 2015 06:39:02 pm
      If Brendan thinks he's good enough, that's enough for me! I'm out.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #183: Apr 15, 2015 08:38:55 pm
      Sounds like you think AZ isn't allowed an opinion just because he's supported Liverpool for less time than you.

Would you think the same, and say it, if he was a local lad just getting into the game and starting to follow the club?

Out of order Bill.

Where did I say anyone is not allowed an opinion I did say I base my opinion on many years of supporting the REDS not from google. By the way Si I hope you have extra long boot laces in your boots.

Quick Reply