Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton) - SIGNED by LFC

Read 60243 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton)
      Reply #322: Jun 24, 2015 11:33:33 pm
      Liverpool table increased £12.5m offer for Nathaniel Clyne
      Liverpool FC have tabled an increased offer of £12.5million for Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne.

Reds are hoping to make the England international defender their sixth signing of the summer

Liverpool FC have tabled an increased offer of £12.5million for Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne.

The Reds are hoping to make the England international defender their sixth signing of the summer following the completion of deals for James Milner, Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Joe Gomez and Roberto Firmino.

An initial bid of around £10million for Clyne was rejected last month but Liverpool have upped that with an improved offer of £10.5million rising to £12.5million.

Saints value Clyne at £15million but the Reds hope a compromise can now be reached.

The former Crystal Palace full-back is down to the final year of his existing contract at St Mary's and has no intention of signing an extension.

Buoyed by Clyne's burning desire to move to Anfield, Liverpool have moved to secure his services.

Boss Brendan Rodgers views him as the perfect replacement for Glen Johnson, who has left the club this summer as a free agent.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-table-increased-125m-offer-9522415
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #323: Jun 24, 2015 11:34:38 pm
      True but I'm not convinced he is that great. I mean, it's not like we are signing a proven world class player. United signed RvP in his prime (around that age) for just a little more I think

I'll be happy if he comes as it means we've identified and dealt with our weaknesses well (considering Clyne is sealed) and it'll give me real optimism to the start of the season, I just wonder if Bacca really is the best we could do

Thing is Diego, in today's world 21m does not get you a proven world class player, it gets you either talented youth or journeyman such as a Lallana and company. 50+ million gets you that world class moniker.

Like Si said an extra 20 goals in the side + a Firmino/Ings and hopefully an improved defense with Clyne and we are looking pretty good.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #324: Jun 24, 2015 11:39:22 pm
      Thing is Diego, in today's world 21m does not get you a proven world class player, it gets you either talented youth or journeyman such as a Lallana and company. 50+ million gets you that world class moniker.

Like Si said an extra 20 goals in the side + a Firmino/Ings and hopefully an improved defense with Clyne and we are looking pretty good.

It surely doesn't get you a world class striker in his prime but Robin van Persie was one of the best strikers in the world at the time United signed him, he was aged 29 and cost them around £22.5M if I recall correctly.

Bacca is nowhere near this level, is also aged 29 and would supposedly cost the same. I'm not sure how to feel about it. I think we could sign him for less though.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #325: Jun 24, 2015 11:41:27 pm
      21.5M sounds like a lot of money for a guy turning 29 at the start of the season
      A mere few quid in the greater scheme of things my good man . We've all become accountants recently but as long as papa john and uncle Tom are giving the nod i won't complain .

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #326: Jun 24, 2015 11:42:29 pm
      21.5M sounds like a lot of money for a guy turning 29 at the start of the season
      I didn't k ow he was that old, that does sound a bit steep in that case. Not my money but surely add a little to that and get a guy that will be good for 5 years?

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #327: Jun 24, 2015 11:46:07 pm
      A mere few quid in the greater scheme of things my good man . We've all become accountants recently but as long as papa john and uncle Tom are giving the nod i won't complain .

I don't know mate, for all the hatred being pointed towards the transfer committee of late, it seems a lot of people have all of a sudden started to place too much confidence in them :D Maybe it's the Firmino-effect!

If we pay that much for a 29 year old and he fails here (let's not forget the guy has only played in a top European league for the past 2 years of his career, he was in Belgium prior to that) and we may soon find ourselves with a 30+ year old flop with high wages no one is willing to take from us

We should probably move this discussion to Bacca's thread though, just noticed this is Clyne's! :D :D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #328: Jun 24, 2015 11:48:48 pm
      I didn't k ow he was that old, that does sound a bit steep in that case. Not my money but surely add a little to that and get a guy that will be good for 5 years?

Honestly you would think that Rondon would be more an FSG style purchase than Bacca. 25 years old, 20 goals/44 appearances last year.

Other than age discrepancy we need to remember that Bacca plys his trade in La Liga whereas Rondon is doing it in Russia...big big difference there.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #329: Jun 24, 2015 11:58:55 pm
      I don't know mate, for all the hatred being pointed towards the transfer committee of late, it seems a lot of people have all of a sudden started to place too much confidence in them :D Maybe it's the Firmino-effect!

If we pay that much for a 29 year old and he fails here (let's not forget the guy has only played in a top European league for the past 2 years of his career, he was in Belgium prior to that) and we may soon find ourselves with a 30+ year old flop with high wages no one is willing to take from us

We should probably move this discussion to Bacca's thread though, just noticed this is Clyne's! :D :D
      I don't know much about the fella , just what i'm hearing on here and around and from what i gather he shows up for the big games , pressure seems to bring out the best in him . We've been asking for a mix of younger and older and that seems to be taken onboard by the TC .

AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #330: Jun 25, 2015 12:26:18 am
      Honestly you would think that Rondon would be more an FSG style purchase than Bacca. 25 years old, 20 goals/44 appearances last year.

Other than age discrepancy we need to remember that Bacca plys his trade in La Liga whereas Rondon is doing it in Russia...big big difference there.

Rondon scored a fair few when he was in La Liga too.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #331: Jun 25, 2015 12:26:59 am
      Back to Clyne, hope Saints accept this new offer. Would fill a massive hole, and seeming as was one of the best right backs in the league last year (Coleman/Ivanovic) would slot right in.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #332: Jun 25, 2015 07:18:51 am
      I would have no issue with signing a 28 year old every couple of years if he bangs in the 15-20 goals needed, which will also give our youngsters the breathing space to develop.

Unfortunately with the new TV deal £20M is now last years £15M in the EPL.

Colombians are nutters and it would be great to have one of those in the team again!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #333: Jun 25, 2015 07:57:07 am
      i still think 15min is to much for somone in his last year but that's the price you pay for british. i rate him and think he would be a great adidtion and would be a 1st choice RB from what we currently have.

i think 12mil with 3mil add ons if we win something or get to a final etc and i reckon they will accept, be nice if he puts in a transfer request to force the move.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #334: Jun 25, 2015 08:57:43 am
      i still think 15min is to much for somone in his last year but that's the price you pay for british. i rate him and think he would be a great adidtion and would be a 1st choice RB from what we currently have.

i think 12mil with 3mil add ons if we win something or get to a final etc and i reckon they will accept, be nice if he puts in a transfer request to force the move.

Why would Clyne put in a transfer request, give up his loyalty bonus of a couple of mill and alienate the fans that have supported him in his rise to the level he's at now? If a deal is to happen then it can happen without Clyne throwing a tantrum.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #335: Jun 25, 2015 10:25:55 am
      Jay Riley ‏@Jay_78_ 24m24 minutes ago

Clyne to #LFC done.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #336: Jun 25, 2015 10:28:03 am
      Yes lot of twitter chat, this deal is done. ??
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #337: Jun 25, 2015 10:37:26 am
      From one of their club's bloggers -

Connor Armstrong ‏@ConnorArmstrong  · 11m11 minutes ago 
      He is holidaying in Las Vegas, but Nathaniel Clyne's move rapidly nearing completion. #SaintsFC have accepted #LFC's latest offer of £12.5m.

Connor Armstrong ‏@ConnorArmstrong  · 4m4 minutes ago 
      Surprised that #MUFC aren't jumping in to trump #LFC at that price, but looks like Clyne's move to Anfield now full steam ahead. #SaintsFC
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #338: Jun 25, 2015 11:01:03 am
      Jay Riley ‏@Jay_78_ 24m24 minutes ago

Clyne to #LFC done.
      he very rarely gets it wrong and doesnt tweet stuff unless he's had some assurances is the fee 12.5
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #339: Jun 25, 2015 11:02:00 am
      Why would Clyne put in a transfer request, give up his loyalty bonus of a couple of mill and alienate the fans that have supported him in his rise to the level he's at now? If a deal is to happen then it can happen without Clyne throwing a tantrum.
      true just wishful thinking, i still think this deal will happen no later than monday
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #340: Jun 25, 2015 11:10:57 am
      true just wishful thinking, i still think this deal will happen no later than monday

judging from tweets above, its happening today\tmrw I reckon. ;D
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #341: Jun 25, 2015 11:27:38 am
      Jay Riley ‏@Jay_78_  · 5m5 minutes ago 
      Southampton just couldn't De-Clyne #LFC offers any longer...
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #342: Jun 25, 2015 11:29:11 am
      from the tweets and from reports that  betting for clyne joining Liverpool is suspended
       seems like this deal is very close to be concluded

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #343: Jun 25, 2015 11:32:12 am
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #344: Jun 25, 2015 11:35:52 am
      Jay Riley ‏@Jay_78_  · 5m5 minutes ago 
      Southampton just couldn't De-Clyne #LFC offers any longer...
      haha brilliant, well if we sort this out over the weekend Ian Ayre can hopefully come back with Rondon or Bacca or both signed and we are done!! all before the 1st of July which makes up for the last 3 seasons in the transfer market. it means we can then focus on selling our dead wood

Quick Reply